Preparing to leave

wishIweretravelling

As I'm getting ready to go on a "grand voyage" of 89 nights in a couple of months, I've been making a list of things that need to be done before I go. I thought I'd share a generic version of it here. It is oriented to leaving a detached, single-family home in the summertime. Most world cruises leave in the North American winter, so you'd want to change things like "turn back a/c" to "turn back heat" (when I've done this in the winter, I kept the heat set at 54 degrees F, and that worked). And, for being away in the winter, you'll want to turn off your outside water spigots and possibly your water for the whole house.

Am I missing anything?

TO DO BEFORE LEAVING

Arrange for mowing

Make arrangements for grass to be watered as needed andallowed

Arrange for plant watering

Invite people to [social media page and/or blog]

Clean & stow yard equipment

Cancel newspaper subscription

Forward mail to [designated person]

Notify credit card companies

Notify bank

Ask trusted neighbors to keep an eye out

Set & turn on timers

Notify local police dept and HOA of absence

Mail estimated taxes

Leave signed checks and credit card with [designated person]

Change primary contact phone number with security company

Day of Departure

Unplug small appliances

Turn off/unplug computer and printer

Take out trash

Turn back a/c

Set blinds

Arm security system

We unplug items that won't be used.

You had some listed but things like Televisions use power when not in use.

Put water heater to vacation mode.

I would have someone walk the house and every four weeks flush toilets and run water in each sink. This would require turning the water back on and then they can turn it off.

What about automobiles. Some people will disconnect the battery and others will have a neighbor run them every few weeks.

Keith

Re the suggestion of forwarding mail, if you don't have someone that you can forward to, my local PO, which is normally not terribly helpful had this suggestion: Rent the smallest size box for a minimum period. The PO will automatically place the overage into a "hold box." Any home mail placed on hold is good for only 30 days.

BTW, OP, we are also on the Grand Asia. Have you joined our roll call? We are now into checking out excursions. Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.

BTW, OP, we are also on the Grand Asia. Have you joined our roll call? We are now into checking out excursions. Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.

Sorry, my 89-day cruise is Arctic Splendors on another line.

But I did take an Asia cruise a couple of years ago. If you are going to Bali, I highly recommend Kadek as a driver/guide. Six of us went out with him our first day in Bali, and had such a great experience that four from the group engaged him for the second day. http://www.balidriverkadek.com/

We also had a private guide our first day in Singapore. Unfortunately, I don't have his contact info. But some recommendations from there: the botanical gardens (particularly the orchid garden), Gardens by the Bay, lunch at the hawker stands. Also, get some of the local coffee (look for coffee shops with lots of taxis parked around it--the taxi drivers know where to go) in a "to go" container. It looks like an IV bag.

If you can manage it, take an overnight side trip to Angkor Wat in Cambodia. And be across the moat from it at sunrise (go about 45 minutes early to get a good spot). Then, once the sun rises and everyone comes pouring out of the site, that's your time to go in.

Do the pedicab excursion in Ho Chi Minh City.

Sorry, my 89-day cruise is Arctic Splendors on another line.

But I did take an Asia cruise a couple of years ago. If you are going to Bali, I highly recommend Kadek as a driver/guide. Six of us went out with him our first day in Bali, and had such a great experience that four from the group engaged him for the second day. http://www.balidriverkadek.com/

We also had a private guide our first day in Singapore. Unfortunately, I don't have his contact info. But some recommendations from there: the botanical gardens (particularly the orchid garden), Gardens by the Bay, lunch at the hawker stands. Also, get some of the local coffee (look for coffee shops with lots of taxis parked around it--the taxi drivers know where to go) in a "to go" container. It looks like an IV bag.

If you can manage it, take an overnight side trip to Angkor Wat in Cambodia. And be across the moat from it at sunrise (go about 45 minutes early to get a good spot). Then, once the sun rises and everyone comes pouring out of the site, that's your time to go in.

Do the pedicab excursion in Ho Chi Minh City.

Thanks so much for your recommendations for Bali. We are jumping ship in Hong Kong and flying to Bangkok for a few days, so we will miss HCMC. Will remember your suggestions if there is a next time.

Sorry we won't see you on our HAL Grand Asia. Where else will your cruise be taking you?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tampa Girl,

I will be traveling with wish on the cruise this summer. Here is a link to our itinerary.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV180621E/summary

Pluses are: only domestic flights and being gone in the summer and being in Northern Europe, we miss the summer heat and humidity.

TG, hope you enjoy your Grand Asia cruise. I have been fortunate to visit Asia twice and found it truly fascinating. Be prepared for the heat and humidity!

Not long now until we leave. Luggage pick up is one month from today!

Hi Tampa Girl,

I will be traveling with wish on the cruise this summer. Here is a link to our itinerary.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV180621E/summary

Pluses are: only domestic flights and being gone in the summer and being in Northern Europe, we miss the summer heat and humidity.

TG, hope you enjoy your Grand Asia cruise. I have been fortunate to visit Asia twice and found it truly fascinating. Be prepared for the heat and humidity!

Not long now until we leave. Luggage pick up is one month from today!

And I thought our itinerary was great! Yours is wonderful! Are you a frequent Regent cruiser? This one sounds delightful.

Someone on another thread also made the wonderful suggestion: Contact your auto insurer and suspend coverage for the three months if your cars will be garaged for that period.

I've been thinking about getting a new car, so have decided to sell mine soon before the cruise (Jan, 2019). That way my daughter won't have to drive it around every couple weeks, I can cancel the auto ins. and then buy a new car when I return in July, 2019. A couple of others who have done world cruises said they also did this.

I will be traveling with wish on the cruise this summer. Here is a link to our itinerary. https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV180621E/summary

I like your itinerary! It has many of the ports that our world cruise 2019 has (on Oceania). The only thing that could improve is if they let you stay overnight in Edinburgh in August so you could attend the Military Tattoo. We did that 2 years ago and it was a highlight of the British Isles cruise.

I like your itinerary! It has many of the ports that our world cruise 2019 has (on Oceania). The only thing that could improve is if they let you stay overnight in Edinburgh in August so you could attend the Military Tattoo. We did that 2 years ago and it was a highlight of the British Isles cruise.

I like your thinking! We are actually doing that on our own. For our August call in Edinburgh, we've booked a hotel and gotten tickets to the Tattoo. We'll then take the train to Newcastle the next morning and meet the ship there.

I've been thinking about getting a new car, so have decided to sell mine soon before the cruise (Jan, 2019). That way my daughter won't have to drive it around every couple weeks, I can cancel the auto ins. and then buy a new car when I return in July, 2019. A couple of others who have done world cruises said they also did this.

We did the same before our 2015 WC. Sold the truck and handed it over enroute to the airport. Provided our dealer with requirements for a new truck, which he factory ordered for delivery upon our return.

• Like 1

And I thought our itinerary was great! Yours is wonderful! Are you a frequent Regent cruiser? This one sounds delightful.

Hi Tampa Girl,

I have been cruising on what is now Regent since 1992 when I was on Seven Seas' Song of Flower. Cruised on the Song eight times (including her last voyage), the Mariner twice, the Voyager once and the Navigator too many cruises to count. I met wish on a Greek Isle cruise on the Song in 1997. Finally in 2006, when family weren't able to cruise anymore, the two of us started cruising the world together. We've been on Silversea, Paul Gauguin and Crystal.

We are so excited about this upcoming cruise!

Edited by NCCruzQueen

For our August call in Edinburgh, we've booked a hotel and gotten tickets to the Tattoo. We'll then take the train to Newcastle the next morning and meet the ship there.

You'll love it! We decided to splurge and got seats in the Royal Gallery....had fun talking with the British military folks before the Tattoo and afterwards at the party. The Salute Taker was an American Army officer and I had a nice time talking to he and his family.

You'll love it! We decided to splurge and got seats in the Royal Gallery....had fun talking with the British military folks before the Tattoo and afterwards at the party. The Salute Taker was an American Army officer and I had a nice time talking to he and his family.

Go-Bucks!

Thanks for the information. We didn't get Royal Gallery seats but are fairly close, I think.

We do a few things additional

We add Marine antifreeze to the toilets pre vents mildo in the tank.

I remove and clean out the liquid dish soap pump only part. by the kitchen sink.

We have a night light on a timer, We leave a extra bulb on the table for the person who takes care of the house.

We leave aircondishener filters every month

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We do a few things additional. We add Marine antifreeze to the toilets pre vents mildo in the tank. I remove and clean out the liquid dish soap pump only part. by the kitchen sink. We have a night light on a timer' date=' We leave a extra bulb on the table for the person who takes care of the house. We leave aircondishener filters every month

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

All good ideas, we're sailing away. Thanks!!

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, pencowgirl said:

How much cash do you take on a World Cruise 

It depends a great deal on your itinerary and what you want to buy.  If you are going to a number of places that will take US$ (and there are many - especially in tourist areas) take more than you think you would need (you can always bring it home).  I took  about $1700 (for one person) on each of my world cruises and came back with about $100.

Do be sure to take nice crisp bills with no pen marks, etc. on them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pencowgirl said:

How much cash do you take on a World Cruise 

How much and which currencies we take depends on the ports of call. In general, we use Visa where it is accepted, which we find is most places.

Our next WC, we will have US Dollars, NZ Dollars, Aus Dollars, Euros & Sterling. Probably a few hundred of each. For other ports we will get a small amount of local currency, about $20 worth.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'll figure out this currency thing eventually. Since we are in NZ for nine days, I'll certainly just go to an ATM when we get to the first port.  Ditto Australia, eight days.  Probably I will take currency for India since that might be difficult, especially if we do an Overland tour.  I keep currencies from past trips, so will have some places covered enough to get started, like Europe and French Polynesia, Thailand.  The Emirates, Oman, Jordan...I'll think about it.  Ditto Indonesia and Malayasia, it'll depend on whether there will be an ATM opportunity when we get there, and if we think we'll need the money.  We're not shoppers particularly.

• Like 2