'Dress to Impress' New dress corde?

NSWP

Not sure whether the MDR was mentioned. I've not seen it at night in the MDR, but certainly after dinner I think we've all seen a lot of pax dress down. Crooners was a blast to grab a drink & "drink" in the view of the crowds going by. I have to admit I never saw a variety of dress styles as much as I did on Princess. Everything from the nicest tux, down to some really bad looking bathing suits & t shirts. This is not in the dining room, just around the ship after dinner.

That is because the so called Dress Code only applies to the MDR and not the rest of the ship. This means you WILL see any and all sorts of dress through out the rest of the ship. It never has applied to the entire ship. Want to see some passengers get really upset and vocal then require it to be applied to all passengers anywhere on the ship. Riots will occur and Princess will lose huge number of passengers. I do not think even Celebrity requires this but I have never been on one of their cruises but I know people who have and say this doe not happen.

:cool:He wasn't suggesting that a dress code should be applied to the entire ship. He was just commenting on people-watching in Crooner's, after dinner. Middle-aged people are too full of Princess favorites like Goat Cheese Souffle, Beef Wellington and Baked Alaska to riot.( Riot successfully avoided...:cool:)

I've worn ballgowns in the past on Princess. I love the formal nights and wouldn't want them to get rid of them or make them optional.

Why?

You'll still have the option to dress as formally as you like even on casual evenings.

That is because the so called Dress Code only applies to the MDR and not the rest of the ship. This means you WILL see any and all sorts of dress through out the rest of the ship. It never has applied to the entire ship. Want to see some passengers get really upset and vocal then require it to be applied to all passengers anywhere on the ship. Riots will occur and Princess will lose huge number of passengers. I do not think even Celebrity requires this but I have never been on one of their cruises but I know people who have and say this doe not happen.

I did misunderstand that comment & took it to apply to the DR.

drats- Celebrity is not the line to copy but this is inevitable-I like my tux and will wear it anyway. Someday soon all of us oldies will be gone and no one will remember what formal night was anyway:(

No. there will always be pax who choose to make their cruise special & choose to dress for the occasion.

You do not need a sport coat or suit. Minimum is a shirt with collar and a pair of pants such as dockers. Some of us have been wearing guayabera shirts (short sleeve) on formal nights for several years now without even a second look by the MDR staff. I forgot last cruise one formal night and wore a pair of dark grey jeans and did not realize it until I was seated waiting for my food.

Well, if you read my earlier posts on here you will see it did matter on the Sapphire May 2019 cruise I was on. Men were turned away from the MDR formal night and told they needed a suit jacket to enter.

Not my rule-but my observation.

One ship, one trip. Not known to be fleetwide. No idea what the after effects were.

Yes, you are right.

The inconsistency in enforcing the dress code is a problem.

The after effects for the 2 men I spoke to who were turned away, well, they politely left and ate at the buffet.

We are fairly new to cruising and we do dress up on the formal nights. Not tuxedos and ballgowns, although I do appreciate those that do, more along the lines of a cocktail dress and suit for DH. We also like to purchase the photo that we get taken on this night, once we have cruised more I'm sure we will opt out of the photos being taken.

On our last cruise we had TD and our table mates were wonderful. One couple did not show up on the 1st formal night and when we met up with them later in the evening for a drink we teased them about standing the rest of us up. They said they didn't feel comfortable coming because the husband did not have a suit jacket. On a prior cruise they were made to feel embarrassed by their table mates for not dressing formal and they felt so awkward during the rest of the cruise that they only ate at the buffet for the rest of the trip. We insisted that they join us on the 2nd formal night and they did, they were both dressed nicely and to be honest I don't pay much attention to what others are wearing....only DH because he can really rock his suit!

Obviously I'd prefer not to sit across from someone in a bathing suit or a man without a shirt on when I'm having dinner but other then that I won't fuss about it or really even give it another thought.

No. there will always be pax who choose to make their cruise special & choose to dress for the occasion.

That is true. But, "special" means different things to different people. To some not having to dress up on vacation is about as special as it can get. There is no single standard for special.

That is true. But, "special" means different things to different people. To some not having to dress up on vacation is about as special as it can get. There is no single standard for special.

(y)

Well, if you read my earlier posts on here you will see it did matter on the Sapphire May 2019 cruise I was on. Men were turned away from the MDR formal night and told they needed a suit jacket to enter.

Not my rule-but my observation.

I will be on the Sapphire for the first time next summer for a B2B and will find out what the dress code enforcement on "formal" night actually is. I don't intend to change my ways for that cruise. I have never seen anyone prevented from entering the MDR on any night but then I don't stand by the three MDR doors and take a poll. All I see is when I enter the MDR which lately has been TD.

I find it amusing that posters for years have used their past life as the reason for choosing their clothes for a cruise..many of us worked this way for years and still like looking our best( I as a women, totally over dress for sea days on cruises, and have had other women tell me I am over dressed or think I am part of the staff at CC functions) and there is no question a man or women looks better in "formal attire" than shorts, a t-shirt & sandals...

Dress as you like..most do select clothing that they feel comfortable in......

And yet the most talked about scene of a James Bond movie is not him in a dinner jacket, it’s him getting out of the ocean in trunks so I beg to differ.

And yet the most talked about scene of a James Bond movie is not him in a dinner jacket, it’s him getting out of the ocean in trunks so I beg to differ.

LOL...unfortunately most male cruisers, don't fall in that category...but believe it or not, DH could, he takes great care of himself...he would die if he knew I wrote this or talked about him on that other post.

He and I have debates about what to wear to functions all the time......lucky for me on cruises he defers to me..:D He always takes more time to get ready than I do.....

We understand the necessity of limited packing, especially with airlines charging for checked bags. But I really like the energy of formal nights - seeing what everyone is wearing, feeling special being dressed up. On the non-formal nights, hubby and I always dress "smart casual" anyway - it makes eating in the dining room and sipping drinks at the bar feel that much more like a night out. On our Princess cruise, that's what most people did. We find that it's not that hard to pack a cocktail dress or two, or add heels and jewelry to a nice sundress, while hubby wears slacks, even with a sports jacket. I hope they keep something similar so it doesn't end up being casual every night.

We have a couple of cruises coming up shortly. My tux is ready. My wife has her formal night dresses. We are flying to one cruise and have watched some helpful packing videos on You Tube.

When we cruised a couple of years ago with our grown kids and their families, we all dressed according to the requested dress code. Our grandchildren were told that these were special nights. One of our grandson's (age 3 at the time) looked in a mirror and commented, "I'm a stud." He was right. Their behaviour was improved and they were special evenings.

Over the years, I have personally seen several people removed from Princess dining rooms for inappropriate attire. One couple was seated at our table and a few people were at nearby tables. One stands out. 'Twas a formal night. At the table immediately next to ours, the missus had taken the time to dress appropriately. Her husband and older teen son had not. They could have gone camping or done yeardwork in what they were wearing. The MD came by and whispered something in the husband's ear. His response was, "Hey. I'm on vacation." The MD was firm. I don't remember if they returned.

It does happen though enforcement is admittedly spotty. Kind of like exceeding the speed limit.

Cheers.

We have a couple of cruises coming up shortly. My tux is ready. My wife has her formal night dresses. We are flying to one cruise and have watched some helpful packing videos on You Tube.

When we cruised a couple of years ago with our grown kids and their families, we all dressed according to the requested dress code. Our grandchildren were told that these were special nights. One of our grandson's (age 3 at the time) looked in a mirror and commented, "I'm a stud." He was right. Their behaviour was improved and they were special evenings.

Over the years, I have personally seen several people removed from Princess dining rooms for inappropriate attire. One couple was seated at our table and a few people were at nearby tables. One stands out. 'Twas a formal night. At the table immediately next to ours, the missus had taken the time to dress appropriately. Her husband and older teen son had not. They could have gone camping or done yeardwork in what they were wearing. The MD came by and whispered something in the husband's ear. His response was, "Hey. I'm on vacation." The MD was firm. I don't remember if they returned.

It does happen though enforcement is admittedly spotty. Kind of like exceeding the speed limit.

Cheers.

I suppose it can happen but in the past 15 years since I gave up wearing the "suit & tie" costume I've only been denied entrance one time & it was because I had shorts on. (even though it was around 9 PM)

I will be on the Sapphire for the first time next summer for a B2B and will find out what the dress code enforcement on "formal" night actually is. I don't intend to change my ways for that cruise. I have never seen anyone prevented from entering the MDR on any night but then I don't stand by the three MDR doors and take a poll. All I see is when I enter the MDR which lately has been TD.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've eliminated "formal night" by next summer, nor surprised if the staff in the MDR are different from the cruise my observations were based on this May.

I don't stand by the 3 MDR doors and take a poll, either, so that makes 2 of us.