FOUND: Piece of Jewelry in Noordam Cabin 1085 - 5/28/17

rose102798

Totally agree Kazu. By the time that reply was contributed we were WELL past that point

that's all I was trying to say.

I think it was quite reasonable to point out CC does not h ave private message and let it be something to keep in mind if any of us find something on a ship, truly wish to have it returned and to provide a means to be contacted if they choose to post ab out their 'find' here. I did not see that anyone had pointed that out in this thread I also still do not see where OP has yet to provide contact info.. Of course, you need no t agree.

As per post #16 OP has already done the right thing and contacted HAL.

they got lots of constructive advice and followed. Contact info is irrelevant at this stage. Of course, you need not agree ;)

By not turning it in to Lost and Found it creates an awkward situation for HAL. No doubt the owner of the item contacted them in a panic and said they left it in the safe. When it didn't turn up, the inference is that somebody did decide to steal it when they found it in the safe. That could even point to the OP!

Good news is that the item is in the hands of somebody who wants to reunite it with its owner. In collaboration with HAL, that'll probably happen. :)

I know that you did not mean to do this but by keeping the jewelry and attempting to find the owner on CC, you basically stole the jewelry. What are the odds that the owner of the jewelry will go on CC and bother to go into the H AL site and look for their stuff - slightly greater than zero.

What you should have done was to turn it in and then post on CC that the jewelry has been found and the owner should contact HAL to get it back.

I know that you meant well but you went about it the wrong way.

DON

This is a little harsh. The OP did NOT steal the jewelry. They were trying to do the right thing.

I have no doubt that HAL has a good lost and found. However, not every employee on HAL is honest. Everyone of you know as well as I do, that there are some employees that would pocket whatever they found.

So those of you bashing the OP need to stop. They did what they thought was best. And I totally get it. I'm not a very trusting person. I tend to assume the worst.

To the OP. What you did is fine. While I do agree you probably should contact HAL, at least you know that no one pocketed the item.

I left a blouse in my hotel room a few months ago after my last cruise, I spilled something on it and I had had washed it and hung it behind the bathroom door to dry, as we were packing, I went into the bathroom, saw it out of the corner of my eye, but being in a hurry, I forgot to grab it. I got home, called the hotel and of course....NOTHING....no one had it or saw it. Why someone would keep or throw out something is beyond .....manager told me they had "Boxes" of left stuff and my blouse was not there.

When you leave something behind and know exactly where you left it or you found something and want to return it to the rightful owner..chances are you will never reunite again. Even if CC would allow a "lost and found" thread, the number of CC members vs the number of cruisers is a very low percentage.

If you or someone that you know lost a piece of jewelry on the Noordam, Cabin 1085, prior to 5/28/17, please message me to describe, or provide your email address and I will contact you.

(For those of you that are going to ask why I did not turn it into the cruise line, let's just say that I knew that I would try harder to find the rightful owner. In a rush, I left a very personal piece of jewelry at a hotel in NYC, never to be seen again. The hotel personnel took no action to help me recover it. I use this to premise that all negative comments will be ignored.)

Why not call HAL and let them know that you have the piece, give them your contact information and ask if they would contact the party that was in that cabin so they can in turn contact you! I think it is wonderful what you are doing, you could have just taken it and not said a thing. I have list items in a HAL cruise and didn't have much faith in their lost and found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can not say whether what she did was legally theft but it was the same as a theft. If anyone believes the "I would try harder" part of her post, I have several bridges to sell you.

I am surprised that she did not put an ad in the New Lisbon Gazette (New Lisbon is a small town in upstate Wisconsin) announcing what they found and asking the owner to contact them.

DON

Wow what an awful view you have of others. You have a lot of nerve ascribing those motives to the OP. She/he was TRYING to do the best thing. Whether you approve or not, your words crossed a line.

This is a little harsh. The OP did NOT steal the jewelry. They were trying to do the right thing.

I have no doubt that HAL has a good lost and found. However, not every employee on HAL is honest. Everyone of you know as well as I do, that there are some employees that would pocket whatever they found.

So those of you bashing the OP need to stop. They did what they thought was best. And I totally get it. I'm not a very trusting person. I tend to assume the worst.

To the OP. What you did is fine. While I do agree you probably should contact HAL, at least you know that no one pocketed the item.

Well said! Thank you. The OP did contact HAL according to a post she made after receiving that advice here.

sail&seas, you are still as rude as I remember from two years ago when I was reading these boards.

Apparently you have nothing better to do then post on CC since you have over 70,000 post. The OP is a "cool cruiser" They have not posted a whole lot. SO.....do you think it's possible that they did not know the CC does not have private message feature? Or that maybe they didn't want to post their email to a public forum until the owner came forward? None of that ever occurred to you did it?

Why be so rude and accusing them of having a "feel good moment" And you are basically calling them a thief by asking " hOW really EAGER ARE YOU to find the owner?" (btw, I copied that from your post. That is why it has all the weird caps)

Everyone needs to quit accusing the OP of theft!

Do you realize that you are being more judgemental than Sail - who was making a good point. Anyone who believes that he/she would be better at returning lost items than the line has serious ego problems.

OP apparently had to be advised that the line was much more likely to return the item to the owner than could an individual whose initial approach was simply to mention it on CC.

Yes, there is a chance that someone at HAL might pocket the thing --- but there is a far greater likelihood that just trying to work through CC would fail in returning the item.

At the end of the day, the only approach likely to get it back to the owner was by getting HAL involved - and OP's failur to promptly do that certainly delayed things.

Do you realize that you are being more judgemental than Sail - who was making a good point. Anyone who believes that he/she would be better at returning lost items than the line has serious ego problems.

OP apparently had to be advised that the line was much more likely to return the item to the owner than could an individual whose initial approach was simply to mention it on CC.

Yes, there is a chance that someone at HAL might pocket the thing --- but there is a far greater likelihood that just trying to work through CC would fail in returning the item.

At the end of the day, the only approach likely to get it back to the owner was by getting HAL involved - and OP's failur to promptly do that certainly delayed things.

Thank you, " nbt", for your understanding what I was getting at and taking g the time to say so.