Solstice Norovirus

Redking

Any update on the situaton post outbreak on the TP?

I got the last 2 days of Honolulu-Sydney. Haven't seen any news about it. If it reached the CDC threshold for percentage of pax/crew affected, it will eventually be reported here: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm.

The company didn't report how many were affected, but the last 2 days of the cruise all the buffet food was served by the crew (including some of the entertainment staff).

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it is still a wee bit of a problem. Best try and boost our immune systems before our cruise in 4 week:) and not turn down the hand wash once on board.

Currently on the solstice, all drink menus at the cafe and ocean bar etc have been removed, glasses in cabins replaced by paper cups and lots of washy washy with the hand sanitizer all over the ship. Did get a disapproval look by another passenger and crew member when I turned down the sanitiser in the walkway...but I had literally 5 seconds before found a stationary sanitiser station was walking directly from it and was still rubbing it into my hands when I came upon the crew member dishing it out . I even carry a small bottle of it in my sling bag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it is still a wee bit of a problem. Best try and boost our immune systems before our cruise in 4 week:) and not turn down the hand wash once on board.

Try probiotics start a week before the cruise and one every day while on

They are pretty good fighting off any bug that gets in your gut

We always use them

The ones from the chemist in the box called travelbug don't need refrigeration

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got the last 2 days of Honolulu-Sydney. Haven't seen any news about it. If it reached the CDC threshold for percentage of pax/crew affected, it will eventually be reported here: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm.

If the ship was going to Sydney, then they don’t have to report it - it’s only when the ship is coming and going into a US port. That’s why any outbreaks in Europe are not reported. From the above link:

When sailing from a foreign port to a U.S. port, cruise ships participating in the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) are required to report the total number of gastrointestinal (GI) illness cases–including zero–evaluated by the medical staff at least 24 hours before the ship arrives at the U.S. port.’

Try probiotics start a week before the cruise and one every day while on

They are pretty good fighting off any bug that gets in your gut

We always use them

The ones from the chemist in the box called travelbug don't need refrigeration

Good tip. We're also knocking back the vits and echinacea. Strange prep for a holiday[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

If the ship was going to Sydney, then they don’t have to report it - it’s only when the ship is coming and going into a US port. That’s why any outbreaks in Europe are not reported. From the above link:

When sailing from a foreign port to a U.S. port, cruise ships participating in the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) are required to report the total number of gastrointestinal (GI) illness cases–including zero–evaluated by the medical staff at least 24 hours before the ship arrives at the U.S. port.

Also from the same link:

Cruise ships under our jurisdiction:

• carry 13 or more passengers, and
  • have a foreign itinerary with U.S. ports.

• I caught the GI illness on the Honolulu-Sydney cruise. You are correct that an "inbound" report to the CDC is not required when arriving in Sydney (CDC is an American governmental organization), it appears that they still have jurisdiction since the ship departed Hawaii; while in the medical department on the Solstice they had me fill out a CDC form. If the 3% threshold was crossed it may still get reported.

When sailing from a foreign port to a U.S. port, cruise ships participating in the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) are required to report the total number of gastrointestinal (GI) illness cases–including zero–evaluated by the medical staff at least 24 hours before the ship arrives at the U.S. port.’

Probably depends on interpretation, here's another portion of the web site.

Cruise ships under our jurisdiction:

• carry 13 or more passengers, and
  • have a foreign itinerary with U.S. ports.

Here's another good source of info that has been around for years, they don't show any indication of a problem

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

So how would introducing new bacteria (probiotics) to the intestinal system have any effect on a viral infection (norovirus)?

Novovirus goes to your gut hence gastro

Probiotics fight bad bacteria which the virus produces in your gut

I'm not going to argue with my dr who is trained in such matters

His advice has worked for us every time we have been exposed

Just off Solstice this morning. Many people still sick including my DH. No salt shakers last night , which is always a sign. PAPer cups only in cabins. Not sure what they will do. I feel curtains and bed skirts should be replaced for starters.

Staff cleaning everywhere all day.

We were told many cases since Lifou but not sure of the information. Treatment at the hospital was free of charge.

Certainly an interesting cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, a healthier gut is always helpful if this virus in contracted .. same with C-diff. You may still get it but it may not be as harmful to your system if you do.

Just off Solstice this morning. Many people still sick including my DH. No salt shakers last night , which is always a sign. PAPer cups only in cabins. Not sure what they will do. I feel curtains and bed skirts should be replaced for starters.

Staff cleaning everywhere all day.

We were told many cases since Lifou but not sure of the information. Treatment at the hospital was free of charge.

Certainly an interesting cruise!

Orsova 69 and 71 resordanis? That's a blast from the past. We sailed from hk to vancouver on her in approx 69. Found a photo the other day, looks like a cargo ship by today's standards. Hope dh gets better soon.

Sat with a lady at breaky this morning before we disembarked from the Solstice. She said her husband came down with food poisoning last night and was currently attending the ships dr. I asked why she thought it was food poisoning she said because the vomiting and diahorea started so suddenly. It sounds like Nora to me , I doubt food poisoning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also helps a good cheese after dinner.

We are on Solstice now. No salt / pepper shakers, staff is dishing out food in buffets, menus for n bars are held by the wait staff, hand sanitizer people everywhere. Ship is offering visits to doctor for free for anyone who suspects they may be ill. Lots of announcements saying ship is affected and that everyone should be washing hands. The crew is working extremely hard to keep everyone healthy and happy.

Orsova 69 and 71 resordanis? That's a blast from the past. We sailed from hk to vancouver on her in approx 69. Found a photo the other day, looks like a cargo ship by today's standards. Hope dh gets better soon.

Cruise ships are so different now. On Orsova we shared a cabin, with bunks with my parents and also a shared bathroom. We thought we were having a luxury holiday. There was also 2 classes tourist and first class.

We are on Solstice now. No salt / pepper shakers, staff is dishing out food in buffets, menus for n bars are held by the wait staff, hand sanitizer people everywhere. Ship is offering visits to doctor for free for anyone who suspects they may be ill. Lots of announcements saying ship is affected and that everyone should be washing hands. The crew is working extremely hard to keep everyone healthy and happy.

Sorry to hear this about your cruise but glad Celebrity is being careful and proactive. We sail on Solstice in March 2018.

Sounds like Celebrity is trying to do everything to contain the virus. Do you happen to know if it's less people ill compared to other past sailings or are there still a lot of people coming down with noro? Hopefully the percentage who are ill is getting smaller.

Sounds like Celebrity is trying to do everything to contain the virus. Do you happen to know if it's less people ill compared to other past sailings or are there still a lot of people coming down with noro?

I remember a few years ago when it was on Equinox for weeks and weeks in the Med. After several deep cleans, it was still prevalent so the big shots from Miami came over to sort out what was happening. Obviously, it did eventually go ;).

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2241351