Freeport for 5 hours, worth getting off the ship?

LongHill44

Not a big fan of Freeport, but there is a little food stand within the cruise complex called Robinson's Seafood. It's a little hole-in-the-wall - we had excellent fried conch and there was plenty of fresh seafood. There were lots of crew members eating there. We got right back on the ship after lunch. I don't think I would venture out on my own there without booking some kind of excursion.

We actually loved Freeport. It felt perfectly safe and normal to us (especially compared to Nassau). But kind of like a midwest small town when you took away the beaches. It is not at all "tropical island" feeling. Which is super unique when you think about it. We went on an awesome excursion with Kayaking and a nature walk but I suspect it is too long for your 5 hours. 5 hours? I would probably just do Senior Frogs and the little area around the cruise terminal.

I think teenage boys need some exercise. Even if all you do is walk around near the ship, it will be a good use of their limitless energy! Maybe have them pack a football or frisbee and find a place nearby where they can throw it around. Can't really do that stuff on the ship.

Everyone enjoys different things. Personally we will not book another cruise that goes to Nassau or Freeport. Those are a waste of a stop/money for us. If we had to go there for whatever reason, we would stay on the ship and enjoy a less-crowded ship.

Hi

There is nothing near the port, but if you take a shuttle bus or taxi, you can go to a number of beautiful beaches. Relatively inexpensive beach day. It wouldn't be the whole day, but unless you don't like going to beaches, it would be well worth the effort. If you don't know where to go, do a little research, or just ask the people that are directing the people at the shuttles and taxis.

have a great cruise

I would do a little research here, on Trip Advisor and Google, and I am sure you will find something interesting. We always get off the ship in every port and have always found something worth doing. I have friends who cruise and always complain about nothing to do in the same ports we enjoy. It just takes a little research.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went by taxi to a beach for a few hours. Pirates cove I think is what it was called. We had a nice time there playing in the water and getting some sun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you have to pay for chairs or shade?

Any place to drink or eat near by

We did the Family Beach Excursion through Carnival and actually really enjoyed it. It is not cheap but the lunch they fed us was awesome and the beach was lovely and had lots of water toys that were too far out for my kids but would be perfect for teenage boys. Check it out maybe?

• 2 weeks later...
We actually loved Freeport. It felt perfectly safe and normal to us (especially compared to Nassau). But kind of like a midwest small town when you took away the beaches. It is not at all "tropical island" feeling. Which is super unique when you think about it. We went on an awesome excursion with Kayaking and a nature walk but I suspect it is too long for your 5 hours. 5 hours? I would probably just do Senior Frogs and the little area around the cruise terminal.

Great assessment of Freeport, that is how I saw it too (until we got to the beach:hearteyes:) that it reminded me a lot of the small towns at home. We also did the Kayaking trip and it was scheduled to run the entire time we were docked, but they actually got us back a half hour or so before all aboard time so you could get something from a store if you really wanted. We were content to get back on the ship and not worry about being late.

We did the Family Beach Excursion through Carnival and actually really enjoyed it. It is not cheap but the lunch they fed us was awesome and the beach was lovely and had lots of water toys that were too far out for my kids but would be perfect for teenage boys. Check it out maybe?

We did this too. Of course we had a rain out, but up until the thunderstorms it was great. They had stand up paddle boards for rent, jet ski trips, and the water obstacle course was fun. Great music and attentive wait staff. Lunch was pretty good. We did the family escape because we have a young child so you wouldn't need that. And honestly I wouldn't waste money on the all inclusive becuase of the early times. Just know that all of those carnival beach excursions are to the same beach just different levels. You can do family escape, all inclusive, or just a beach break. The only difference is the wrist band color.

This time with just the two of us we'll be staying on the ship most likely. I might finally get a chair in the Serenity area:D:D:D:D But if we were traveling with the kiddo again, we'd book that again!

Took our teenager along on the brewery tour with us.

We enjoyed it.

He was bored.

I almost felt bad for him, and then I realized that he was blessed with parents who took him to the Bahamas during President's week and I got over it. lol