Charging for mixers?!!

twroths

Just off QM2 from a EB TA (M745) and was appalled to find that they are now charging for mixers with cocktails. Something like $1.29 for tonic or soda with a mixed drink! I have always was pleased that they didn't really charge a premium for beverages (land prices, as I called them) but now the alcohol price has gone up a dollar or two and they are charging for mixers. It is purely a Carnival scam and a money grab. I love Cunard and love QM2, but what a crock.

I did note that in my survey but will also let my Travel Agent and Cunard know directly.

Opinions?

Tom

Just off QM2 from a EB TA (M745) and was appalled to find that they are now charging for mixers with cocktails. Something like $1.29 for tonic or soda with a mixed drink! I have always was pleased that they didn't really charge a premium for beverages (land prices, as I called them) but now the alcohol price has gone up a dollar or two and they are charging for mixers. It is purely a Carnival scam and a money grab. I love Cunard and love QM2, but what a crock.

I did note that in my survey but will also let my Travel Agent and Cunard know directly.

Opinions?

Tom

You're on vacation, so why does it matter so?

Just go with the flow, otherwise you may end up deceminating the ingredients in a Commodore's Cocktail.

Opinions?

Tom

Prices (and charges for mixers) happened around June this year.

It's many things, but it's certainly not a "scam". "Scam" means dishonest or fraudulent. The prices might well be excessive, but there's nothing illegal in that.

Why should people go with the flow and be ripped off.The OP seams to be a Cunard regular and has noticed a difference from previous cruises and is entitled to voice an opinion,cheers,Brian.

Quite correct, I agree 100%.

It's not "going with the flow" when you are being had over on the drinks prices. If you went to somewhere for the evening and decided you thought the prices were a rip off, well, it's only one night and you would simply not go back. But once on the ship for a number of nights, they have you by the short and curlies !

Prices (and charges for mixers) happened around June this year.

It's many things, but it's certainly not a "scam". "Scam" means dishonest or fraudulent. The prices might well be excessive, but there's nothing illegal in that.

It is a bit of a scam when you are not told that up front or that it is not noted on the menu.

It is a bit of a scam when you are not told that up front or that it is not noted on the menu.

Well, I'm not sure about the being told upfront bit but I do agree entirely with you that it should be written on the bar/drinks list.

I'm fairly certain if a pub or bar in the UK did not make it clear (which Cunard clearly do not), they would be getting a visit from Trading Standards.

I also agree with you about the prices themselves. On our last cruise a few months ago, I had a bottle of coke (275ml I think), and with the 15% and Spanish VAT, it ended up at just over $5. At the time, my friend who paid for it did say "I can't believe I've just paid 5 dollars for that !".

The online menus were updated in the Summer, are they not using up to date menus on board ?

It's a bit misleading if they aren't clear about prices, we tend to drink beer and cocktails so wouldn't be affected by the change but it should be clear that mixers are now an additional cost.

Edit: Having read the menus again, I think there used to be a comment on the spirits pages to the effect that the price included a mixer (from the fountain only ?), that's now gone so the mixers are charged at the prices shown in the Soft drinks section. It certainly could be clearer but it's still not exactly a scam.

Edited by Host Hattie

Just had a look on the Commodore Club menu and there is no mention of mixers, Sodas from 2.85, but nothing regarding mixers themselves

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

How odd, the other menus posted online show $1.75 for a mixer, looks as if they need to get the Commodore Club ones reprinted.

At one time you could purchase a cans of coke, but no longer, only bottles at inflated prices, cans of Pepsi can still be obtained on ship.I was told by a waiter, Carnival could not agree on the price they wanted to pay Pepsi Cola for the cans. I am only saying what I was told, only Carnival will know the true story.

Just off QM2 from a EB TA (M745) and was appalled to find that they are now charging for mixers with cocktails. Something like $1.29 for tonic or soda with a mixed drink! .....

so what does that mean?

"charging for mixers with cocktails"? Say you order a cocktail and want a mixer with it? A Pina Colada and a tonic water? That would be a cocktail with a mixer. Clearly two drinks. Pay up!

Or is it a Gin and tonic, mixed together would make it a (sort of) cocktail, but one drink with one price. If you order a Gin on the rocks and a separate tonic, that would be two drinks. Pay up.

You're on vacation, so why does it matter so?

Just go with the flow, otherwise you may end up deceminating the ingredients in a Commodore's Cocktail.

It matters very much if someone is trying to take me for a fool !!! No matter which way you look at it vacation or no vacation that price was ridiculous. That is almost as if to say well I was on vacation so Cunard should have given me a break right ???

It matters very much if someone is trying to take me for a fool !!! No matter which way you look at it vacation or no vacation that price was ridiculous. That is almost as if to say well I was on vacation so Cunard should have given me a break right ???

Sorry, still not getting it. Why is one concerned over $2/3.00 per day on vacation?

In October we noticed a listing in the Commodore Club menu for "gin and tonic". This was separate from the listing of gins, i,e, once ounce and two ounces. We didn't order from that page to see if the prices did, in fact, include the tonic as implied. We were intrigued by all the discussion about Fevertree tonic, which we ended up ordering each time.

Plus the principal of it but like anything in life we have choices just like I chose not to pay this price.

We are, and will remain, poles apart on this subject. One could not care a jot. It is what it is, and being on vacation, will go with the flow.

A small amount is not really noticeable in a round of drinks for a table in the Commodore Club.

While others will vent their anger, complain and decline to purchase a bottle of tonic.

Unfortunately I have had to delete several posts from this thread as they do not comply with our Guidelines.

These can be found here

Discussion of our management policies and procedures -- including post deletions-- is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards and will be removed without notice. All decisions regarding any action taken by management shall remain final.

Cruise Critic has the right to exercise and apply our guidelines at any level we determine, at our sole discretion, at any time.

If you have comments or concerns regarding the management of this community, please address them to: community@cruisecritic.com

Thank you for your cooperation.

We often cruise with a different cruise line where the drinks and other on board spend items are much cheaper. With this in mind I have doubled my on board spend budget for our Cunard cruise. Drinks prices are what they are and you either have to live with that or do some homework and choose a cruise line that offers better value for money.

Pugwash123

We often cruise with a different cruise line where the drinks and other on board spend items are much cheaper. With this in mind I have doubled my on board spend budget for our Cunard cruise. Drinks prices are what they are and you either have to live with that or do some homework and choose a cruise line that offers better value for money.

Pugwash123

Just as I had mentioned earlier ...we do have choices in life and it is up to the individual as to if they want to pay that price or not what I find ironic is that there is such a discussion over the price of coke and tonic water. All stemming from a mere comment about the price of coke. We are supposed to be mature adults let's look at the positive things and say for instance what a beautiful ship the Queen Mary 2 is, the splendid food and the wonderful crew and not discuss the cost of drinks any further. To each their own.