Extra day in Rome or go to Civitavecchia early

DC1979

Hi all,

I will be taking my first Mediterranean cruise (and first visit to the Mediterranean ever) in May 2019. Previously I have only cruised the Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale and once from Tampa. We will be leaving from Civitavecchia. The cruise leaves on a Monday Morning and I am flying into Rome on Wednesday afternoon. My question for the experts: Should I spend the whole time exploring Rome and travel to Civitavecchia early on the morning of the cruise (if I did this option I would take a limo for ease of travel) or should I leave for Civitavecchia on Sunday and spend the night in a hotel there?

I have booked a hotel for now in Civitavecchia on Sunday night (refundable of course) but I am sacrificing a day in Rome for doing this. Initially I thought this would make for a less busy morning on the day of the cruise, but now I am wondering if I would be better off spending an extra day in Rome (giving me three full days in Rome in addition to the day that I arrive there) or is Civitavecchia worth spending a day in (and leaving me two days in Rome). If I do travel on the day of the cruise, I’d leave Rome by 9 or 10AM unless you think that is too risky.

I would love to hear your suggestions/ opinions please. The good news is that I have plenty of time to plan!! Thanks.

Rome, Rome, Rome!

Civitavecchia is not a particularly charming town and there is really not much to see or do there, especially given that it is your first visit to Rome. Rome has weeks' worth of things you could do -- three days is just barely enough time to see the top "must sees" but there are dozens of other things to see and do there.

Definitely stay in Rome!! There is so much to see and soak in there—we took the train to civitavecchia midday on our embarkation day to board the ship and it worked quite well and was inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Bruce, Since you are already in Rome there is no reason to leave a day early to go to the Port city. It is relatively easy to get from Rome to Civitavecchia on your cruise day and you will thank yourself for having that extra evening in Rome.

Hank

Hi all,

I will be taking my first Mediterranean cruise (and first visit to the Mediterranean ever) in May 2019. Previously I have only cruised the Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale and once from Tampa. We will be leaving from Civitavecchia. The cruise leaves on a Monday Morning and I am flying into Rome on Wednesday afternoon. My question for the experts: Should I spend the whole time exploring Rome and travel to Civitavecchia early on the morning of the cruise (if I did this option I would take a limo for ease of travel) or should I leave for Civitavecchia on Sunday and spend the night in a hotel there?

I have booked a hotel for now in Civitavecchia on Sunday night (refundable of course) but I am sacrificing a day in Rome for doing this. Initially I thought this would make for a less busy morning on the day of the cruise, but now I am wondering if I would be better off spending an extra day in Rome (giving me three full days in Rome in addition to the day that I arrive there) or is Civitavecchia worth spending a day in (and leaving me two days in Rome). If I do travel on the day of the cruise, I’d leave Rome by 9 or 10AM unless you think that is too risky.

I would love to hear your suggestions/ opinions please. The good news is that I have plenty of time to plan!! Thanks.

Rome!! Many more options (things to do and see in city or near by) Enjoy!

Hi all,

There is very little to see in Civitavechia, and the beach is predominantly stones so an extra night in Rome especially if it is your first visit.

Rome is a fantastic city with lots to see and do.

Allow yourself 2 hours from Rome to the cruise terminal which is plenty of time because the traffic in Rome itself is very congested but once out of the city it is fine.