Ruby moving to South America

Geoffa30

Just had an email today saying that our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Ruby departing on 7 March 2015 has been cancelled and we've been moved to the Caribbean Princess. Apparently the Ruby is being redeployed to South America. Slightly disappointed as had booked into an aft balcony cabin on Caribe deck.

Anyone aware of the move? How is the Caribbean Princess? Any info greatly appreciated.

The Caribbean Princess is the same class of ship as the Ruby, only it was the first in the class. It is a few years older, but mostly identical.

Well, yes and no, the Caribbean Princess has the old-style Skywalkers on the back of the ship and some of the venues are in different places (Sabatini's is on an upper deck in Ruby and on the Promenade on Caribbean, etc.).

Oh, and this confirms that the Ruby will be in Alaska next year...

Edited by RickEk

Just had an email today saying that our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Ruby departing on 7 March 2015 has been cancelled and we've been moved to the Caribbean Princess. Apparently the Ruby is being redeployed to South America. Slightly disappointed as had booked into an aft balcony cabin on Caribe deck.

Anyone aware of the move? How is the Caribbean Princess? Any info greatly appreciated.

Oh dear.....we have a b2b2b booked starting 21st March 2015.

As it stands we have heard nothing yet.

Pete

Oh dear.....we have a b2b2b booked starting 21st March 2015.

As it stands we have heard nothing yet.

Pete

That puts a wrench in our plans. We had planned on meeting with the future sales agent next week to finalize our cruise with you. Perhaps by then they'll be able to shed some light on it.

That puts a wrench in our plans. We had planned on meeting with the future sales agent next week to finalize our cruise with you. Perhaps by then they'll be able to shed some light on it.

Hi Richard & Sylvia

It would be interesting to know what the FC person says next week. As yet, we haven't had an email from Princess or our TA, but other CC posters have.

Looks like people are being moved over to the Caribbean Princess as her itineraries may be changing at end of January 2015.

Stay in touch.

Pete

As I posted on another post we also were changed from our March 7, 2015 B 2 B from Ruby to Caribbean. Not happy - Sailed on Caribbean when she first came out and all they did was add an entire deck of passenger cabins without changing any of the public spaces to accommodate the extra passengers. Made for awful crowding in many areas. Emerald, Crown and Ruby were changed and made great strides in passenger accommodation. No other ships doing the time that we want so may be stuck the going on the Caribbean. We also have about 35 people going with us, including a wedding for my daughter, so needless to say will be interesting.

SO - anyone have any new input about Caribbean Princess?

Thanks L

Like others, we know these things can and do happen ... but not real happy about it.

We are booked on Ruby for two weeks beginning 1/24/15 which has been cancelled. Caribbean Princess doesn't begin the new itinerary until 1/31/15.

TA called this morning and is checking into it. Maybe we'll just do our 14 days beginning 1/31 on Caribbean IF we can get the same type of cabin in the location we want for all 14 days. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

Like others, we know these things can and do happen ... but not real happy about it.

We are booked on Ruby for two weeks beginning 1/24/15 which has been cancelled. Caribbean Princess doesn't begin the new itinerary until 1/31/15.

TA called this morning and is checking into it. Maybe we'll just do our 14 days beginning 1/31 on Caribbean IF we can get the same type of cabin in the location we want for all 14 days. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

They're still selling cruises for the Ruby on 1/24/15. I'm booked on the 1/17/15 sailing and was thinking of adding the 1/24/15 cruise on as a B2B.

Looked further and it appears that the 7 day Ruby cruise on 1/24/15 is the last one before the cancellations. The 1/10/15 is the last 14 day cruise.

Edited by KruzPrincess

If the Caribbean takes over the 7 day itineraries from the Ruby, which ship will be doing the short cruises?

Maybe they won't have short cruises. I wouldn't be surprised since they seem to be giving them away. I saw a couple of Golden Princess short cruises in April 2015 were cancelled, too.

They're still selling cruises for the Ruby on 1/24/15. I'm booked on the 1/17/15 sailing and was thinking of adding the 1/24/15 cruise on as a B2B.

Looked further and it appears that the 7 day Ruby cruise on 1/24/15 is the last one before the cancellations. The 1/10/15 is the last 14 day cruise.

Thanks, that explains why ours is cancelled. We were booked on Ruby for a 14 day beginning 1/24/15.

LuLu

~~~~

We were booked for a B2B starting Jan 24 ( 2015) .

Got an email today from TA saying our cruise was cancelled and that Princess is holding something for us on Carribean , on a cruise starting on Jan 14 (2015), 14 days but itinerary unknown.:confused:

Can't talk to TA until tomorrow, so have no idea about cabin, price etc.

Glad to read that at least seems to be same type of ship ( we were looking forward to the Ruby, have sailed on Emerald ). We hade made the reservation real early because we wanted specific cabin and had it booked B2B.

We don't like the new date , to early in Jan for us :( .

Crossing fingers it can turn for the better.

Edited by Sailingpeace

We did a 7 night on the CB last spring and just finished a Ruby 5 night last week. I actually preferred the CB plan over the Ruby. Both cruises claimed to be sold out but the Ruby felt more crowded to me even with fewer passengers in reality.

As others have noted, CB still has the skywalkers lounge up in the "spoiler" on the back. Makes for a unique place. Skywalkers on the Ruby seemed to be 'lost in space' and just another lounge. CB also had a more open walkway through the guest service/entertainment areas. You walked through from the theater to the atruim and passed by other venues. On the Ruby I found this convoluted and the traffic pattern was a little rough.

My two cents, having been on both. I like the Ruby better. It has Adagio and Caribbean does not. I also liked the layout better and I thought Sabatinis was a nicer looking restaurant on the Ruby. I suppose I am splitting hairs and if I were choosing between the two, itinerary would win out.

My thoughts

a) Ruby replacing the Golden: Ruby has 482 more lower berths than the Golden. The South American cruises have been sold out with wait lists over the past several years. Having the Ruby replace the Golden means more berths to sell. It also means that when the Ruby reaches ports with limited shore excursion capacity (such as the Falkland Islands), many more people will be disappointed that they cannot take the excursions.

b) The CB replacing the Ruby: The 3, 4 and 5 day cruises that the CB had been scheduled to sail have had less than overwhelming demand this season (other than over the holidays) and it was necessary for Princess to give the cruises away via future cruise credits in order to fill the sailings. The CB can now sail the 7 day itineraries the Ruby had been been scheduled for.

As to the Golden, Princess is contracted to have a ship coming out of Houston, so maybe the Golden will go there?
Emerald Princess replaces the Caribbean Princess coming out of Houston next year, so could remain there in 2015.

I'm guessing the Golden Princess will start serving the Far East market. Just a guess, though. I don't think it will come back to the Caribbean.

My thoughts

a) Ruby replacing the Golden: Ruby has 482 more lower berths than the Golden. The South American cruises have been sold out with wait lists over the past several years. Having the Ruby replace the Golden means more berths to sell. It also means that when the Ruby reaches ports with limited shore excursion capacity (such as the Falkland Islands), many more people will be disappointed that they cannot take the excursions..

Send the Royal ... even more berths ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are Carole and Richard from Brisbane Australia. We were on the Emerald Princess t/a in August last year and missed Belfast, Reykjavik and Greenland due to bad weather. Princess very kindly gave us cruise credits by way of compensation for missed ports. Booked on Ruby to do b2b in Caribbean on 14 March 2015 but have now been advised that we are switched to Caribbean Princess departing 7 March 2015. Have had no other info re itinerary, cabin, etc. Definitely not happy. Seems as though we are having a run of bad luck with Princess !!! Has anyone else heard anything re itinerary as we down under seem to be the last to find out what's happening. Our Princess t/a here in Aus wasn't even aware of the change.

We are beginning to plan an Alaska cruise for 2015 and I am happy the Ruby will be one of our choices. I have heard so many good things about the ship. :)

The Caribbean Princess is a great ship too.

Edited by janetz