Hair Straightener Taken!!

rileylewis

I just returned last week from an amazing cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is a beautiful ship and wonderful staff onboard. It was an awesome experience.... BUT.....When going thru embarkation, when I went thru security, they took my hair straightener. :eek: (and kept it until the end of the cruise :()

I found out on the cruise that several other ladies' curling irons were taken but only if in the carry on bags. Those who put them in checked luggage were able to keep their curling irons.

I called the front desk and they said that in the "Know Before You Go" it says no curling irons. Now, I was OBSESSIVE about preparing for this cruise since I was a first time cruiser so I about MEMORIZED the "Know Before You Go"! :D I know that it said no clothes irons but did not say anything about curling irons or hair straighteners, etc.

Thankfully, I had my round brush to fix my hair with the blow dryer, but many other ladies were NOT happy.

So, anyone know what's the deal? I guess if I pack my curling iron/hair straightener in my checked luggage it's ok but don't try to carry it on? What if I want to do just carry on and no checked luggage?

This didn't ruin my cruise by any means, but did make me so angry for the first few hours. (Hubby of course couldn't understand why! :rolleyes:LOL).

I just returned last week from an amazing cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is a beautiful ship and wonderful staff onboard. It was an awesome experience.... BUT.....When going thru embarkation, when I went thru security, they took my hair straightener. :eek: (and kept it until the end of the cruise :()

I found out on the cruise that several other ladies' curling irons were taken but only if in the carry on bags. Those who put them in checked luggage were able to keep their curling irons.

I called the front desk and they said that in the "Know Before You Go" it says no curling irons. Now, I was OBSESSIVE about preparing for this cruise since I was a first time cruiser so I about MEMORIZED the "Know Before You Go"! :D I know that it said no clothes irons but did not say anything about curling irons or hair straighteners, etc.

Thankfully, I had my round brush to fix my hair with the blow dryer, but many other ladies were NOT happy.

So, anyone know what's the deal? I guess if I pack my curling iron/hair straightener in my checked luggage it's ok but don't try to carry it on? What if I want to do just carry on and no checked luggage?

This didn't ruin my cruise by any means, but did make me so angry for the first few hours. (Hubby of course couldn't understand why! :rolleyes:LOL).

Never ever had this happen. We've heard "rumors" and the old "had a friend whose neighbor said their best friend's cousin" kind of thing but nobody we've met up close and personal. I just read the "Know Before You Go" and see no mention of curling irons as a prohibited item.

I cannot understand why it would be Ok to have a hair straightener in your room if it came in your checked luggage, versus hair straightener in your carryon. the end result is that it still will be in your cabin for use, :rolleyes:

Recently, on our Carnival cruise, i packed my hair straightener in my carry on for the first time ever. had no problems either with airport, TSA or cruiseline.

a few years ago, I had a small cuticle scissor in my carry-on - Celebrity cruise....it passed in airport security - but the embarkation checkin went ballistic! I said I always bring scissors of some sort - they are not against regulations! Really, some of these people think they work for TSA......

thanks for the heads up regarding the straightener...i will go back to packing it in my checked luggage.

Carol

Your post sure got the attention of DW who always brings hair "flat iron" and has never had it questioned by security on any cruise. So we are curious to see how this thread "plays out" over the next few days. We wonder if this is another new rule. Or perhaps, similar to the new wine rules, it is something intended to steer ladies to the salon where they can spend more money.

Hank

I don't use a curling iron any more as I changed my hair style and just blow dry with a round brush. However, back when I did use one on a daily basis, I would have given up cruising if the curling iron had not been allowed on the ship. It would have been a major deal breaker.

I don't use a curling iron any more as I changed my hair style and just blow dry with a round brush. However, back when I did use one on a daily basis, I would have given up cruising if the curling iron had not been allowed on the ship. It would have been a major deal breaker.

Have you ever seen the Friends episode where Monica goes to Belise and her hair just keeps getting bigger and curlier.??..that's me without a flat iron:o... by day three ,security would probably give it back to me:)

I wonder if someone mixed up clothes irons and hair straightening irons? Perhaps it was a misunderstanding because it does sound odd. I assume many women (myself included) would have tongs/curling or straightening hair tools, especially with formal nights to prepare for ;)

Two women in line for dinner were talking about how their curling irons were taken when they went through security. I chimed in on the conversation since my straightener was also taken. Another lady (who's curling iron was taken at security too) said that if this is the policy on Holland America ships then she won't sail with them again. The two ladies at my dinner table said they had their curling irons but they were in their checked luggage.

When I asked the front desk I was told that no curling irons for hair (yes, I made it quite clear that it was for hair, not to iron clothes!)

Hmmmm???

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

No, no, NO!

If I'd have had to go to the Captain, that hair flat iron would have been returned to me before the end of the first day!

There is NOTHING in the "Know Before You Go" info that prohibits an electric hair styling tool:

"For safety reasons, we respectfully request that you do not use

your own electric kettle or iron clothing in your stateroom."

Until they could prove to me that I was shown it in writing BEFORE I cruised, I'd be that "frizzy haired witch" stalking every ship official.

No, no, NO!

If I'd have had to go to the Captain, that hair flat iron would have been returned to me before the end of the first day!

There is NOTHING in the "Know Before You Go" info that prohibits an electric hair styling tool:

"For safety reasons, we respectfully request that you do not use

your own electric kettle or iron clothing in your stateroom."

Until they could prove to me that I was shown it in writing BEFORE I cruised, I'd be that "frizzy haired witch" stalking every ship official.

I'm so glad to read this because I felt the same way! But being my first cruise, I wasn't sure if this was normal or what. By the time I had heard others talking about it, I had already gotten into a routine of using my round brush and blow drier.

I use an electric curling brush' date=' which would go into my carry-on, being the last thing packed. If they take that away from me I'm doomed![/quote']

One lady said her curling brush was taken out of her carry on.

I guess they were taking anything that heats up out of the carry ons:confused:

Anyone boarding in San Diego have flat iron or curling iron taken?

No where in HAL literature does it mention this. Just read through it all.

Mentions Irons and Kettles. If there is an automatic shutoff on a hair appliance, don't see why not. I have a case that I can put my flat iron in while it is cooling after being unplugged, so not a danger.

This is not a good thing. If mine is taken will really complain once on board.

This is not even about hair appliances, but one of HAL trying to enforce a RULE THAT DOES NOT EXIST!!! :eek::mad:

I have never, ever heard of such a thing, and frankly find it very disturbing that this was applied arbitrarily to carry-on items.

Rileylewis: Have you pursued this further up the food chain since your return? I'd really like to hear an explanation... :confused::confused::confused:

Have taken a curling iron on every HAL cruise I have been on and even left it unplugged out on the vanity area after getting ready in the am.. never had an issue. This is nowhere in the rules. :mad:

Edited by fatcat04

If it PLUGS IN and HEATS UP, then they don't want it on the ship for safety reasons. They catch what they can but don't get them all.

If they found someone had a 'one cup coffee maker' with a heating element, they would take that too yet there is no written rule against them.

Heaven forbid one of these heating element devices starts a fire on the ship, then people would yell 'why do they allow these hazardous things'.

Its just for FIRE SAFETY

No curling iron = One less passenger for HAL. It's that simple.......

It's painfully obvious that this policy was introduced by a man. A woman would be instantly aware of the loss of business implications.

If it PLUGS IN and HEATS UP, then they don't want it on the ship for safety reasons. They catch what they can but don't get them all.

If they found someone had a 'one cup coffee maker' with a heating element, they would take that too yet there is no written rule against them.

Heaven forbid one of these heating element devices starts a fire on the ship, then people would yell 'why do they allow these hazardous things'.

Its just for FIRE SAFETY

While in essence what you say may be true the fact is that outside of irons and kettles, which are specifically named, there has never been written policy or an organized or systematic attempt to remove/take hair dryers, curling irons, or flat irons from passengers. I'm not doubting or questioning that some over zealous terminal security personnel haven't overstepped their authority and taken such items. I don't think it's been a matter of luck on our part, in over twenty years of cruising on four different lines out of half a dozen embarkation ports this has never been an issue or mentioned or even suggested. I also recognize things change so I'd be interested to have Copper10-8, who has worked as a security officer for HAL, jump in here and clarify the situation.

If it PLUGS IN and HEATS UP, then they don't want it on the ship for safety reasons.

Is there not a limit on that? The power supply for my laptop, which goes with me everywhere as it is vital to my one-man consulting business, has a power consumption of 360 Watts (240 volts at 1.5 amp). Some laptop power supplies are significantly larger than that. They definitely plug in and heat up.

Even though I have very little hair left (starting balding at about age 32...which has been several years ago), I'm in agreement that if there is a prohibition on curling irons, it needs to be clearly defined in advance.

Hmmmm... I wonder how the stylists in the salon managed to get their curling and flat irons onboard under these (ridiculous) guidelines?

I'm sure this would not apply to onboard stylists in the salon as they would have their equipment inspected by a 'competent person' appointed by HAL to insure its safety. While I'm sure that all the ladies on CC have fairly new equipment that is in very good condition, other ladies have old equipment with loose or frayed wires that have been repaired with scotch tape. Those are dangerous and a fire hazard. One of the greatest dangers at sea is FIRE!

Other lines may follow suit. And it would help their bottom line to have all you ladies visiting their salon on formal night.

Edited by jimdalva