Unwanted "music"

Mary Ellen

A friend of mine is currently on the Oosterdam. She is having a very difficult time finding quiet places to read. It seems that HAL has decided that every public space must have background "music" and it isn't what she considers music. As this cruise is almost a month long, she'd like to find someplace besides her cabin where she can sit quietly and read. Even the library has the "noise" (to use her term). She's 'well traveled' ;) with HAL but hasn't experienced noise pollution to this extent on other ships. Any ideas?

I don't recall any "background music" (ala Carnival) on any HAL ship. You would hear music from the Crows Nest in the library when the entertainers are playing.

Most public areas are near a lounge so at times I suppose you would hear that music.

Perhaps out by the aft pool or on a lounger on the Promenade deck if the weather is nice would be quiet. If she is in a suite the Neptune Lounge is always pretty quiet.

Edited by frankc98376

I recommend that she ASK that the music be turned down or changed to something less intrusive. There might be a bar open nearby where the bar server in charge can change it or turn it down. Until they get complaints they won't make a change.

We have successfully had heavy metal music changed to soothing ambient music in the Crow's Nest during the day when all we wanted to do was watch the waves crash over the bow. All we did was ask politely. Of course, five minutes later the music was switched off so there could be a line dancing lesson. Oh well.

The Oosterdam is piping in background "music" to all public rooms now. This isn't coming from live entertainment. As I said, this is new to her after many, many cruises on HAL (she's a 5* Mariner). She loves sitting out on the loungers, so I strongly suspect the weather is probably too hot/humid (she's in the South Pacific) for her tastes.

The only annoying background noise I can remember on HAL has been in the MDR during breakfast. Apparently someone decided we needed to listen to Dam birds while on the Dam ships. I always felt the need to 'duck and cover' while having breakfast. I HATE those birds. If I had to experience annoying noise everywhere it would be my last cruise on HAL. We have 3 (or 4) cruises currently booked with our friend and I don't want her to give up on HAL because of the noise.

We've sailed enough with our friend to know that she doesn't have any problems with asking politely when the situation merits. Apparently she's not getting anywhere with that.

Edited by Mary Ellen

This would really bother me a lot. When I had a situation that really needed resolving and I couldn't get any help, I finally positioned myself outside the HM office. I was seen and the situation was resolved.

I think I know who your friend is, and she should be able to get this resolved sooner rather than later.

mamaofami, I'm sure you know our friend. ;) She's been onboard about a week now and the problem is still unresolved. I asked if she wanted me to post here and she thought it was a good idea.

I don't really know what kind of "music" as her emails have used "music" and "noise". I'm sure that it isn't the damchirpingbirds (all one word) at breakfast in the MDR as, well, she isn't a 'morning' person. She's up just in time to get to the Lido 15 minutes before it closes for breakfast.

I often spend some time in the quieter areas of the ship reading or working when we travel. There was definitely background music on the Noordam last month in most of the public areas during most days.

However, I don't think this is anything new. I can recall hearing piped in music on the ships for years now. The music was newer than what was played on previous sailings, but since time marches on, that would make sense.

mamaofami, I'm sure you know our friend. ;) She's been onboard about a week now and the problem is still unresolved. I asked if she wanted me to post here and she thought it was a good idea.

I don't really know what kind of "music" as her emails have used "music" and "noise". I'm sure that it isn't the damchirpingbirds (all one word) at breakfast in the MDR as, well, she isn't a 'morning' person. She's up just in time to get to the Lido 15 minutes before it closes for breakfast.

Yes, I now know for sure who it is. I've never had this issue myself, but I don't like noise and find it hard to screen out, so if I wanted to read in a quiet indoor place and music was blasting (HAL seems to believe lately that louder is better) I would really be annoyed. She needs to go to the top. 5 Stars should mean something.

I do not remember whether there was ambient music aboard Zuiderdam in 2011, so that means one of two things: 1. There wasn't, or 2. It was quiet enough to not bother me. I am right there with the (apparently well-known) HAL passenger referred to on this thread who dislikes other's choices in music (and dislikes background music in general) so now I wonder whether I will be a little (or very!) steamed with HAL next time I sail, which I can't wait to do, since HAL is still my favorite! Harrumph! :mad:

In November on the Noordam, we had to repeatedly ask to have the music turned down. When it was sometimes ignored, we just did it ourselves. Not only was it loud, but a great deal of was geared to the cruise directors and younger staff's age and taste, while the majority of the passengers outside were middle aged and over. Glen Miller would probably not have offended anyone (LOL)!!!

We are sailing the Noordam again in August in Europe, and hope that this will not be repeated. If it is, I will be more vocal next time.

A friend of mine is currently on the Oosterdam. She is having a very difficult time finding quiet places to read. It seems that HAL has decided that every public space must have background "music" and it isn't what she considers music. As this cruise is almost a month long, she'd like to find someplace besides her cabin where she can sit quietly and read. Even the library has the "noise" (to use her term). She's 'well traveled' ;) with HAL but hasn't experienced noise pollution to this extent on other ships. Any ideas?

Well -- that is awful!! Hope this doesn't spread to the other ships.

I guess that means that even during the day time there is some kind of music piped into the Explorer's Lounge?

How about the Piano Bar area?

Not only HAL, this seems to be true everywhere these days, as if silence is to be avoided. I can't be the only one who appreciates quiet!

You are so right! The last few years it seems more and more times while sitting in any local restaurant, I finally say to my DH - "does someone think we actually enjoy listening to this?" I do not like to scream over music just to enjoy conversations with others at my table.

Edited by Linda&Vern