Lost Latitudes Points

Trevor Fountain

I have recently registered for Latitudes Rewards, having booked a cruise for May 2015.

I previously sailed on the Spirit in 2006. As it was an 11 night cruise in a suite, I received 22 points, which puts me in the Silver Tier. Back in 2002 I had a balcony cabin on the repositioning cruise (maiden voyage) of the Dawn, from Southampton UK to New York. However NCL say they have no record of this voyage, and have asked me to prove I was actually on the Ship.

They suggest I provide photographic evidence, receipts etc.

I don't recall taking photo's, as it was my first trip following the sudden death of my wife. I have searched for some evidence and the only two items I could find was the cabin Key Card, and a signed CD from Sammy Goldstein, who was the pianist on board.

I'm not sure either of these items actually constitute proof.

To be honest, I can't really understand why NCL have no record of the cruise, and although the points won't make any difference to my current status, this has left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this, and would you just forget about it, or pursue the matter? I know the points won't make that much difference, but it's just the principal.

Ive went round and round for years with NCL on cruise credit, cruise points etc.

try scanning or taking a pic of the room card first and emailing it to them

you may be able to dig around and find some memento of the trip

NCL was the first cruise line to start a program like this. When we sailed the NORWAY years ago, I had to dig around and find old crap from my first two cruises, on the SUNWARD II now that was way way back in the 80's! I had some stuff, and took it to my travel agent and they got us into latitudes and we got some reductions in price and on board credit and upgrades so if was for sure worth it.

After I think my fourth NCL cruise when I thought we'd be going silver on our 5th, we didn't get it. NCL had conveniently lost record of those first two cruises. Although we had PROVED we'd been on the line twice. I sent further info in again and have never been credited those first cruises.

Now before anyone has a cow. I know they changed the program at least three times now. I have been into and out of Silver now a couple times and we are currently Silver. BUT, because of three 7 day cruises. I don't think they count cruises of less than 5 days now? or is it 4?

I also know you get double and even triple credit now for some cruises, some rates or cabins, maybe AARP deals or advance reservations.

They I guess do the cruise days now in stead of number of cruises too.

HERE'S THE DEAL - SINCE GETTING SCREWED OVER, back and forth and in and out of the status we have never sailed NCL again! Now I'm not saying we wouldn't, but we just haven't. It just has never worked out for us to pay more for a smaller room, in a worse location on the ship than we can get on any other cruise line for the date, itinerary or convenience of departure port. So I am not bearing a grudge or anything, but I'm also not seeing anything there to write home about either!:confused:

Perhaps the OP is making a valid point. NCL should be doing a better job of record keeping.

Let's face it, you never know when one of your guests might take a cruise and then come back 12 years later and ask to be rewarded for their "loyalty".

:rolleyes:

Perhaps the OP is making a valid point. NCL should be doing a better job of record keeping.

Let's face it, you never know when one of your guests might take a cruise and then come back 12 years later and ask to be rewarded for their "loyalty".

54320659.jpg

No need for sarcasm. I was loyal enough to book a suite 4 years after sailing on Dawn, and for reasons that I'm not going to post here, I am taking my only cruise since then next year, again with NCL.

after the inception of the program would seem to be required for NCL to keep customers happy

Now my first two cruises and coincidentally NCL cruises were before there was ever any thought of a loyalty program. There were many thousands of people eligible, with proof, to get credit and join up in Latitudes at the start. We did, but at some point they dropped the ball. Then when I tried to reestablish those credits, they denied the very same proof that they had accepted earlier. Then they changed the program and stopped counting cruises before a specific date. Later they stopped counting any cruises of a short length. Some of these changes have been reversed for a period, or changed back and forth. But, once you purge a list, and delete or destroy the information, how do you get it back? I haven't kept up much with their policy now, but it seems they do the cruise days, but do they still only count 5 day and longer cruises now, or do they count only 7 day and longer?

At any rate, they quitecounting 3 day cruises and stopped recognizing cruises earlier than a certain date.

Now part of the reason why they might not have all the info on cruisers is if a cruise was booked as part of a large travel group, or thru some travel agents that had different reporting rules for passengers. Many of these requirements have probably changed since 911!

also a carefull reading of trevors first post reveals he sailed for 9 days in 2002, 11 days in 2006 for which he did receive credit and now is booking for 2015

I hate this saying, "but it is what it is" NCL has the program, they should have this record. It's as simple as that!

now, lesson learned as well, always try and keep some keepsake, anyone wanna see the credit card receipt from my 1987 cruise on Carnval's Carnivale? its got the cabin number, what we paid and all kinds of good info on it! and yea, we got rid of that card years ago but back in that day you got a KEY to open your door on the ship, like an old hotel key with its on keychain thingy!

then they went to the punchcard, then to the magnetic strip card I guess the last key we had, either the amerikanis or regal empress , maybe the oceanic? but I digress.....

and that cruise credit for only 3 days on carnivale, got us our PLATINUM status one cruise earlier, AND on the cruise that started on our 43 day on carnival! under the old platinum on your tenth cruise rule! We have now 16 carnival cruises for 86 days so 50% of our time has been platinum on carnival

so Id say get after em trevor! work on getting that credit if you can, you earned it!

Funny thing is CM, whilst searching for "evidence" I came across tons of "stuff" from my first cruise in 1973. That was a School cruise on board the British India Ship, SS Nevasa. I was 12 years old.

I believe B.I. was bought by P&O. So if they have a loyalty program, at least I have plenty of evidence to show, should I decide to sail with them in the future.

I just finished going rounds with NCL to get my cruise history straight, and they finally did it.

Last sticking point was a 12-night transatlantic the Norway made to France, where news reports at the time stated that 100,000 French turned out in Le Havre to see the ship. It was a huge deal.

NCL claimed it never happened, even though I provided my orignal ticket. They claimed their records showed it was a typical 7-night Carib. run.

What it took was a brochure NCL mailed to me hyping this "historic voyage," a signed and dated certificate I received from the captain for making the voyage, and a dated newspaper clipping from USA Today about NCL's big announcement of the voyage.

That did the trick. So I suggest you round up any scrap you can find, preferably dated, to prove you were there. But as you can see, they set the bar for proof very high.

But as someone stated, even if they refuse to believe you, they may offer some compensation on another cruise as good will.

Good luck!

Just a couple of thoughts. NCL like many other lines including many/all airlines never kept long term records before they had loyalty awards. Even though the Latitudes program does not require giving credit for early cruises, NCL has been very generous about giving the points if you have proof of your early cruises. Our first was in 84 and after faxing a copy of our ticket it was credited to our Latitudes account with two weeks.

If you have good records, and I think a room key will work, you almost certainly will get credit. They get thousands of requests for past credit and if you want credit for cruises that took place before the program existed, I think it is reasonable for them to ask for the proof.

No need for sarcasm. I was loyal enough to book a suite 4 years after sailing on Dawn, and for reasons that I'm not going to post here, I am taking my only cruise since then next year, again with NCL.

Oh, I agree with you...it really doesn't matter "why". NCL...and all other cruise lines...should keep very detailed records of every cruise that every poster ever takes. As I noted, you can never tell when someone might return weeks, months, years, or even decades later...loyalty is loyalty.

Why should the guest have to keep track? If NCL wants to reward loyalty, then THEY need to keep track. There is just no reason that I should have to do anything to show that I'm eligible for benefits...just give them to me!

Just a couple of thoughts. NCL like many other lines including many/all airlines never kept long term records before they had loyalty awards. Even though the Latitudes program does not require giving credit for early cruises, NCL has been very generous about giving the points if you have proof of your early cruises. Our first was in 84 and after faxing a copy of our ticket it was credited to our Latitudes account with two weeks.

If you have good records, and I think a room key will work, you almost certainly will get credit. They get thousands of requests for past credit and if you want credit for cruises that took place before the program existed, I think it is reasonable for them to ask for the proof.

I agree with everything you say, but for NCL to require multiple items of proof even after you've provided the very ticket they issued showing all the particulars (date, voyage number, cabin number, reservation number, price, itinerary), they've jumped the shark.

Oh, I agree with you...it really doesn't matter "why". NCL...and all other cruise lines...should keep very detailed records of every cruise that every poster ever takes. As I noted, you can never tell when someone might return weeks, months, years, or even decades later...loyalty is loyalty.

Why should the guest have to keep track? If NCL wants to reward loyalty, then THEY need to keep track. There is just no reason that I should have to do anything to show that I'm eligible for benefits...just give them to me!

Well, let's see. NCL wouldn't give me credit for a Norway cruise many moons ago even when provided proof. Not a big deal in my world, I'm at least double platinum these days. What does leave a bad taste in many mouths is the typical combative NCL shore service that has been going on for many years. That culture won't go away until a particular manager goes away.

But they love passengers like you who don't require much and total loyalty reigns no matter what.

after the inception of the program would seem to be required for NCL to keep customers happy

Now my first two cruises and coincidentally NCL cruises were before there was ever any thought of a loyalty program. There were many thousands of people eligible, with proof, to get credit and join up in Latitudes at the start. We did, but at some point they dropped the ball. Then when I tried to reestablish those credits, they denied the very same proof that they had accepted earlier. Then they changed the program and stopped counting cruises before a specific date. Later they stopped counting any cruises of a short length. Some of these changes have been reversed for a period, or changed back and forth. But, once you purge a list, and delete or destroy the information, how do you get it back? I haven't kept up much with their policy now, but it seems they do the cruise days, but do they still only count 5 day and longer cruises now, or do they count only 7 day and longer?

At any rate, they quitecounting 3 day cruises and stopped recognizing cruises earlier than a certain date.

Now part of the reason why they might not have all the info on cruisers is if a cruise was booked as part of a large travel group, or thru some travel agents that had different reporting rules for passengers. Many of these requirements have probably changed since 911!

also a carefull reading of trevors first post reveals he sailed for 9 days in 2002, 11 days in 2006 for which he did receive credit and now is booking for 2015

I hate this saying, "but it is what it is" NCL has the program, they should have this record. It's as simple as that!

now, lesson learned as well, always try and keep some keepsake, anyone wanna see the credit card receipt from my 1987 cruise on Carnval's Carnivale? its got the cabin number, what we paid and all kinds of good info on it! and yea, we got rid of that card years ago but back in that day you got a KEY to open your door on the ship, like an old hotel key with its on keychain thingy!

then they went to the punchcard, then to the magnetic strip card I guess the last key we had, either the amerikanis or regal empress , maybe the oceanic? but I digress.....

and that cruise credit for only 3 days on carnivale, got us our PLATINUM status one cruise earlier, AND on the cruise that started on our 43 day on carnival! under the old platinum on your tenth cruise rule! We have now 16 carnival cruises for 86 days so 50% of our time has been platinum on carnival

so Id say get after em trevor! work on getting that credit if you can, you earned it!

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is not correct. If you cruise for one night - you will get at least one point. All cruises count. You could go on a one night cruise, in a suite, booked 9 months in advance, that is the monthly Latitude Special and get 4 points for that one night cruise. You do not get onboard latitude benefits for shorter cruises such as the Latitude party but you always earn points and at least get a ship pin. (Also a discount in shops.)

Well, let's see. NCL wouldn't give me credit for a Norway cruise many moons ago even when provided proof. Not a big deal in my world, I'm at least double platinum these days. What does leave a bad taste in many mouths is the typical combative NCL shore service that has been going on for many years. That culture won't go away until a particular manager goes away.

But they love passengers like you who don't require much and total loyalty reigns no matter what.

I don't know SeaShark's history, but it seems he or she is saying the onus is on NCL to keep better records. It's not a matter of blind loyalty.

After getting a total runaround going theough proper channels, I appealed to a Sr VP for resolution, and even that stalled. He told me that records had been lost during "systems upgrades."

Yeah, right. If all else fails, blame the computer.

At one point I did hit a wall of defensiveness with the underling trying to resolve the matter, and it was only after I produced overwhelming evidence that the cruise happened and I was onboard that the tone of negotiations did a 180.

But not everyone pack-rats cruise documentation like I do. It shouldn't have to be necessary. Data can be retrieved unless the company losing it just doesn't give a damn.

they did quit counting cruises I think it was before 1987 at one point, then later quit cruises shorter than 5 days in length

they have revamped that program as I stated several times, often getting tons of flak about it:mad:

like I said

and also like I said, I proved to them a couple different times that we had taken those cruises, was given credit for them, and then had the credit lost or taken away for whatever reason, NCL incompetence, NCL change of policies

after the third try and getting that credit back, it was denied, on whatever temporary reason of change they had instituted, or their incompetence or ( that they had purged their records )

As stated, I would cruise them again, but they really really gotta come up with some kind no brainer for me to consider it at this point. I still would recommend them to people as I do pretty much all cruise lines. I do however one cruise line or the other depending on the person asking me for a recommendation. Whether they have kids, they're single, older, or have a particular lifestyle or experience they want to have out of a cruise.

BTW if they now do cruise days and do credits for single days, and any length of cruise, then they could have called me and told me this!:eek:

but since I don't answer the phone Id probably not get the message....

But not everyone pack-rats cruise documentation like I do. It shouldn't have to be necessary. Data can be retrieved unless the company losing it just doesn't give a damn.

This! I don't keep stuff from cruises (or vacations for that matter), I wish I still had the card from the Norway. I would never be able to prove much of any cruise travel on any line if there were 'system upgrade' problems.

This! I don't keep stuff from cruises (or vacations for that matter), I wish I still had the card from the Norway. I would never be able to prove much of any cruise travel on any line if there were 'system upgrade' problems.

HaHaHa! I'm not auditioning for a starring role on "Hoarders." I'm a writer and knew I'd be writing about the cruise industry at some point because it fascinates me, so I call that big drawer full of files "research." :D

Never dreamed it would come in handy to prove my whereabouts to NCL.

One doesn't have to be a hoarder to hold onto ship's ID/key card from every cruise. I've sailed almost 100 cruises and the key card stack doesn't take much more room that two decks of cards. :) Each one is proof of having sailed that cruise. My name, ship name, date...... I'm all set to prove all of my cruises. :)

One doesn't have to be a hoarder to hold onto ship's ID/key card from every cruise. I've sailed almost 100 cruises and the key card stack doesn't take much more room that two decks of cards. :) Each one is proof of having sailed that cruise. My name, ship name, date...... I'm all set to prove all of my cruises. :)

Wow. I've got some paper boarding passes from the days the Norway used real cabin keys, and now I do save key cards, but don't have all of those because we weren't always allowed to keep them in their earlier years (this would have been on RCCL). They do make great souvenirs.

I have recently registered for Latitudes Rewards, having booked a cruise for May 2015.

I previously sailed on the Spirit in 2006. As it was an 11 night cruise in a suite, I received 22 points, which puts me in the Silver Tier. Back in 2002 I had a balcony cabin on the repositioning cruise (maiden voyage) of the Dawn, from Southampton UK to New York. However NCL say they have no record of this voyage, and have asked me to prove I was actually on the Ship.

They suggest I provide photographic evidence, receipts etc.

I don't recall taking photo's, as it was my first trip following the sudden death of my wife. I have searched for some evidence and the only two items I could find was the cabin Key Card, and a signed CD from Sammy Goldstein, who was the pianist on board.

I'm not sure either of these items actually constitute proof.

To be honest, I can't really understand why NCL have no record of the cruise, and although the points won't make any difference to my current status, this has left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this, and would you just forget about it, or pursue the matter? I know the points won't make that much difference, but it's just the principal.

Principal...I agree this happened to me.It took 7 years of trying to get the points. and the cruise was 11 years ago. They wanted me to to send evidence and I did...

It did not help as there answer was they had no record. I had my ship card with the date . still did not matter. So then I started asking for more points then what the cruise was. And I sent emails to all that I could find of importance stating what all i have done to get my points Public relations ect and i was sure to attach to all.

Guess what I got a response with in a week:)....from there it still took about 3 months. But they found my cruise with correct amount of days;) ..

The worst of it all is , the apology from them I literally had to spell out for them. How hard is it to pick up a phone or actually say you are correct you do have more points coming your way. Or wait throw a extra

points your way as we are talking 11 years......(or a point a year you have missed giving me my points) one could only hope they have PR in mind:confused:

But I can tell you after the dust settled the lady I dealt with did her job I can put this behind me and forgive and forget...As life is to short and we do like NCL...keepcalmandcruiseon