My Impressions of Brilliance Christmas Cruise 2015

boogerwolf

I didn't want to do a day-by-day review of our cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas like I did with the Enchantment from 2013. So I'm only going to hit the high spots and post a few pictures and a link to a dock runner video from the dock in Cozumel. But first, some overall general info.

We (me, the wife, my son and sister-in-law) enjoyed ourselves. It was our second cruise and my son and SIL's first. We were in separate D2 balcony cabins. The cruise was out of Tampa and sailed to Cozumal, our only port from 12/24 to 12/28. If you have specific questions I'll be more than happy to answer them.

-Service was excellent from waitstaff to room attendants.

-You REALLY can see the ocean from seemingly everywhere on the ship including the elevators. Something I think RCCL should incorporate into all their ships going forward.

-Embarkation was fast and easy. We arrived at approximately 11 AM. I was fully prepared to stand in long lines as this was a full cruise. From curbside to poolside in 20 minutes. Falling out of a boat easy (pun intended).

-The Windjammer food was mediocre at most times with a few standouts. The standouts being the chicken dishes (all of them were good no matter how they were cooked), hot dogs, mashed potatoes and build-your-own pizza. The word "institutional" comes to mind with some of the other menu offerings with the eggs being the worst offenders. I did not go hungry and I did not have a terrible meal but all of us in our party thought the food could have been more flavorful. Also, it seems like the desserts were all made with diabetics and those with dietary needs in mind.

-I REALLY wanted to try Rita's Cantina. However it did not seem to be staffed most nights. I also didn't see a menu for it. I suspect that it wasn't staffed due to lack of demand. I think it may have something to do with its location, in between the Windjammer and the (very beautiful) aft dinning patio deck. It's in a transitory location, which in theory should help with business. But if you have a complimentary dinning option right in front of a for-pay option most times passengers will already have a plate of food. AND to compound that there is but one sign for Rita's. Essentially no one knows where it is. And when you do find out it just seems strange.

-The aft patio behind the Windjammer became our go-to spot to eat when the Windjammer got full.

-Ate in the MDR for dinner one night (formal night to be exact). Amazingly everyone dressed the part. No jeans, t-shirts or athletic shoes. The food was ok to good. Service was outstanding as it was busy (even at 8 PM) and our waitstaff handled it with aplomb.

-The seas where a little choppy. Being only the second time I've cruised I thought it odd so I asked some Diamond and Diamond Plus cruisers if this was normal (The last cruise we took, the Enchantment out of PC was glass smooth). Was told this was not normal but it could have been worse. By day three the seasick bags were out on the stairs all around the ship. I'm a hearty bastard that doesn't use motion sickness meds so I was fine. My wife used a patch and was OK until the third day.

-Activities were the standard RCCL fare with modifications for Christmas. The crew did an excellent job with decorating the ship and keeping the festivities going.

-Ate at Chops for the first time. Did not disappoint. Would I pay $35 per person on land for what we had? I do not know. I'm not a meat snob and I left full and happy. Service was excellent.

-There were times that the ship felt full (trying to get an elevator) and times where it didn't. Most times it didn't feel like it was at capacity. A testament to the ship's design I suppose.

-Cozumel was fantastic. Mainly because we went to Nachi Cocom. Will post a review of it in the Ports of Call section. Suffice to say if you want peaceful with good food and some activities then Nachi is your spot.

We were on the cruise immediately before the Christmas cruise. I felt the same way about Rita's. Never saw anyone using it. Considered Izumi too, but some items I like have been removed from the menu, so we skipped it.

Here are a few pictures. Nothing earth-shattering. Was too much in the moment to really care to take some shots.

And here is a video I took of some dock runners. We were docked with the Independence of the Seas. Everyone on the Brilliance made it back on time. Not so on the Indy.

23421310624_468eebbbaf_z.jpg

Docked next to the Indy in Cozumel

23422744383_5dda692ce9_z.jpg

A pano of the Indy from the Brilliance

23941371972_1edfcee1f0_z.jpg

The Christmas decorated centrum

Edited by boogerwolf

Nice review, thank you. I have a question; what did you think of the water temperature at Nachi Cocum? And where are you from, as a point of reference? (Floridians sometimes have a different standard of "warm".) We will be in Cozumel on Saturday and keep changing our minds about having a beach day. At this point, we have not packed a beach bag, snorkel gear, etc., but we hate to miss a beach opportunity.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

Nice review, thank you. I have a question; what did you think of the water temperature at Nachi Cocum? And where are you from, as a point of reference? (Floridians sometimes have a different standard of "warm".) We will be in Cozumel on Saturday and keep changing our minds about having a beach day. At this point, we have not packed a beach bag, snorkel gear, etc., but we hate to miss a beach opportunity.

My two cents. We were there just before thanksgiving and the water and beach were great! I'd go now without hesitation. We're from NC.

We live in Atlanta and are from So. California. The water seemed to be warm.

As far as snorkeling at Nachi, I believe you can self-snorkel but the snorkeling that they offer is off a boat in a deeper portion off the beach. I did not snorkel but my 17 year old son and SIL did and enjoyed it. Here is my full review of Nachi:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293216

I've been to Cozumel in early Dec. before & find the water on the cool side...but bearable...I'm from Florida as well...so any temp below 80 is chilly to me...:D

Glad you enjoyed, overall. I think Rita's is coming to the end of her life on Radiance-class ships... there just doesn't seem to be the patronage they'd hoped for. On Serenade, it was staffed but if there were no customers I think the staff hung out in the back, thus making it appear abandoned. We saw a menu lying down on every table, though.

We have gone to Nachi Cocum twice and LOVED it. I recommend it as well.

We were on the cruise immediately before the Christmas cruise. I felt the same way about Rita's. Never saw anyone using it. Considered Izumi too, but some items I like have been removed from the menu, so we skipped it.

Same thing with Rita's on Serenade. Deserted.

I've been to Cozumel in early Dec. before & find the water on the cool side...but bearable...I'm from Florida as well...so any temp below 80 is chilly to me...:D

Yes, "on the cool side but bearable" is what is keeping us from making the decision. Once I am out of the office and on a ship, in the sun, it will probably sound more appealing to me.

Do you possibly live in S. C. in Ocala?