Zuiderdam's maiden call in Helsingborg today

Laurino

Hi everyone,

Today Zuiderdam had it's slightly adventurous (sort of leaving pax & tenders ashore) maiden call in Helsingborg, Sweden, my hometown. Since I live close to the tender pier, I thought I should write up a short story with pictures of today's events. I'm not a passenger onboard, but I've been on her before and will in 2 months time for Norway and Iceland, yay :)

So, Zuiderdam arrived this morning at about 6.30am, and turned into the wind. It was windy and a strong current already in the morning.

P1090668_zps0z710h5k.jpg

Captain Wouter vad Hoogdalem monitored the sea conditions and decided to anchor at about 7am and started lowering tenders. At about 7.30am they started trial tender operations.

P1090681_zpsatygzzeq.jpg

P1090683_zpshj6rjy7o.jpg

At this point I had to leave for work. But I noticed on Marine Traffic and the local news, that Zuiderdam stayed put and started passenger tender operations at about 9.30am.

/Henrik

Edited by Laurino

Zuiderdam was supposed to stay until 6pm in Helsingborg, and then sail for Copenhagen and overnight there. It's only about a 1-3 hour sailing (depending on the type of ship etc) to Copenhagen from here, and it's about 1 hour by car. But by the afternoon the wind picked up even more.

I didn't get home in time to see it, but apparently after 3pm, the captain stopped the tender operations due to the bad weather. At about 3.45pm Zuiderdam lifted anchor and left for Copenhagen. When leaving, Zuiderdam left about 450 passengers and 3 tenders "stranded".

Buses were arranged to drive the "stranded" 450 passengers to Copenhagen. The last bus left at about 5.30pm, the usual 30min before sailing all aboard time.

P1090690_zps8a6ulxzl.jpg

Tenders #12, 14 and 16 were left behind in Helsingborg. They filled up fuel in our local marina to prepare for their voyage to Copenhagen.

P1090693_zpsinwwgeoi.jpg

At about 6.30 the 3 tenders left Helsingborg in a convoy for Copenhagen.

P1090710_zps7y1cdxc6.jpg

Looks like it will be a bit of a rough ride for the crew.

P1090716_zpsvdk1geu0.jpg

A most unusual day and I'm sure a headache for the staff and the passengers, but it seems all will be well. Even though it's cold and windy today, I do hope the passengers had a nice time in Helsingborg. Zuiderdam will visit Helsingborg 5 more times this season.

/Henrik

We did the Iceland cruise a few yrs ago and loved it. We had a couple hundred Norwegians on board as well as many Australians. It was a wonderful trip but we did have a storm brew up in the North Sea and had to skip the Shetlands. After a bumpy nite we arrived in Iceland a day ahead of time. Nothing wrong with that! Greenland fjords were fantastic. Enjoy!

I would echo the others: thank you for taking the time to shoot those photos and share them on CC. I noticed the paint scraped off the hull that I think someone mentioned in another thread happened while in the Panama Canal locks - the old girl could use a little TLC on the starboard side. ;)

I would echo the others: thank you for taking the time to shoot those photos and share them on CC. I noticed the paint scraped off the hull that I think someone mentioned in another thread happened while in the Panama Canal locks - the old girl could use a little TLC on the starboard side. ;)

When I zoom in on the photo, it looks like white paint. So they are probably already on it, just need that last blue coating ;)

Tack :) for taking the time and effort to shoot these pics! Looks like Deck officers are driving those three tenders to København as opposed to the "regular" quartermasters and/or sailors and, yes, it will not be a comfortable ride down the Øresund

Edited by Copper10-8

When I zoom in on the photo, it looks like white paint. So they are probably already on it, just need that last blue coating ;)

You may be correct but those white streaks look somewhat jagged almost like the outer dark blue paint was scraped off and the underlying primer was exposed. Either way, I'm sure you're correct in that the maintenance folks are addressing it as schedule and weather permits. BTW, I bet Helsingborg is a wonderful city!

Edited by joepeka

Tack :) for taking the time and effort to shoot these pics! Looks like Deck officers are driving those three tenders to København as opposed to the "regular" quartermasters and/or sailors and, yes, it will not be a comfortable ride down the Øresund

Hi Copper,

A question you might be able to answer - I'm guessing the Zdam tenders have about 150 people capacity, so if 3 tenders and coincidentally 450 passengers are "stranded", that would explain how Zdam could sail with the rest of the passengers but without full lifeboat capacity? It would also explain why the tenders had to leave for Cph yesterday, as opposed to stay put and being picked up by Zdam on her way north today with a full compliment of passengers (that and time constraints I imagine)?

/Henrik

Copper 10-8,

I wonder what Deck Officer ranks might be assigned to "captain" the tenders to Copenhagen from Helsingborg. Any idea?

All Deck officers (senior and junior) are generally qualified/have received the training/built the experience and expertise to operate tenders, lifeboats and the fast rescue boat(s) (the latter on the Vistas, Signatures and KODM).

Hi Copper,

A question you might be able to answer - I'm guessing the Zdam tenders have about 150 people capacity, so if 3 tenders and coincidentally 450 passengers are "stranded", that would explain how Zdam could sail with the rest of the passengers but without full lifeboat capacity? It would also explain why the tenders had to leave for Cph yesterday, as opposed to stay put and being picked up by Zdam on her way north today with a full compliment of passengers (that and time constraints I imagine)?

/Henrik

Hi Henrik; your theory, math and conclusion are all correct! We, of course, don't know what ZUDM's total POB's (especially pax, since they are assigned life boats, rather than life rafts, which are where the majority of the crew are assigned) are on this particular voyage. In addition, your Kustbevakningen would have a say in the matter prior to having given ZUDM permission to sail to København without three of her tenders. Enjoy the day in your beautiful country!

Edited by Copper10-8

Hi Henrik; your theory, math and conclusion are all correct! We, of course, don't know what ZUDM's total POB's (especially pax, since they are assigned life boats, rather than life rafts, which are where the majority of the crew are assigned) are on this particular voyage. In addition, your Kustbevakningen would have a say in the matter prior to having given ZUDM permission to sail to København without three of her tenders. Enjoy the day in your beautiful country!

OK Copper, thank you for the confirmation. I didn't realize they needed permission from/ had to confirm with/ the Coast guard for sailing without some life boats, but that makes sense. It's so great to also have professionals on this board. I like your skills in Swedish (among other things). Hoping you'll have a nice day too :)

Everyone - thank you for your comments.

/Henrik

Edited by Laurino

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Zuiderdam for this cruise. After watching the morning tenders going ashore, we decided we would stay on board. As the the morning moved towards afternoon, we were very glad not to have gone ashore. The tenders bounced around like a fishing bobber. After the Captain called off using the tenders for passengers returns, we watched for over an hour them trying to bring the tenders back on the ship. Too rough & too dangerous (in our opinion). We were happy with the Captain's decision to bus the passengers to Copenhagen & leave the tenders.

We were on the Zuiderdam for this cruise. After watching the morning tenders going ashore, we decided we would stay on board. As the the morning moved towards afternoon, we were very glad not to have gone ashore. The tenders bounced around like a fishing bobber. After the Captain called off using the tenders for passengers returns, we watched for over an hour them trying to bring the tenders back on the ship. Too rough & too dangerous (in our opinion). We were happy with the Captain's decision to bus the passengers to Copenhagen & leave the tenders.

Thank you for the "insider's perspective" :) Did you enjoy the cruise?