Onboard Proposal - Will Royal Help?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this topic? I would also love to hear personal stories, if anyone would like to share! You can never have too many ideas. ;-)

More specifically, I was wondering if Royal has any sort of program or service where they can provide a photographer to help capture the moment. There will only be the 2 of us onboard in our group, and would love to have photographs of the proposal! If so, who would I contact to arrange the details?

Thank you in advance, and Happy sailing!

Edited by OSULabRat

Yes, I've never used it but when I was researching vow renewal I saw they they will help you plan, pull off and document any type of proposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks! I will look into the onboard wedding information then...

So no charge for this other than photo ? With D C&A you get one photo pp...but perhaps this wouldn't apply.

That's what I thought too, and said to myself 'How nice of Royal Caribbean to provide this for free and only charge for the pictures." Then I checked the brochure it said the package starts at $450...

OP, maybe you can post on your roll call and see if anyone would be willing to work with you to document the proposal?

OMG...just propose already! A Photo-op? Really?

A marriage proposal is a personal thing....it's not something a woman EVER forgets...no need for a picture!

To each their own. Some people like to capture photos or videos of their proposals, while others don't feel a need for this. If the OP wants a photo, so be it!

OP -- congrats! Depending on what you have in mind for the proposal, you might want to join your roll call and see if you can get a few conspirators in on your plans, too (assuming your significant other isn't reading the roll calls)! For example, it might be awkward to have a ship photographer following you around prior to the proposal, while it might be more natural if a few other guests snapped some pics. Or, if you wanted a more public proposal, you could get the other passengers to be part of your big plans. Flash mob, maybe? Randomly giving flowers or notes along the way? I could imagine a whole host of ideas, depending on your style and what you and your (future) fiancée might enjoy.

When my husband proposed, he had set up a sort of scavenger hunt around our house with things for me to find. I was clueless that it was a proposal until I made my way into our dining room. I could only imagine what a scavenger hunt might be like on a ship!

Have a great time -- and let us CC folks know how it goes!

OMG...just propose already! A Photo-op? Really?... A marriage proposal is a personal thing....it's not something a woman EVER forgets...no need for a picture!

I'm sorry you feel that a woman would not want a keepsake. The moment of proposal is special and to have it documented by someone who is quietly in the background preserving the moment (not listening, not intruding what is said between the two, but simply taking a few pictures) is wonderful.

OP OSULabRat, there have been many threads over the years on proposing on board. One of the best suggestions I can offer you is to mention it on your Roll Call. I guarantee you, someone there will help you out. People like helping on this sort of thing. There may be someone who has a really nice digital camera and can take some excellent, discreet shots for you.

The only other thing I can think of would be to contact the CD on his/her Facebook page (not through the cruise line - that takes too long) and ask for help/ideas.

All the best. :)

That's what I thought too, and said to myself 'How nice of Royal Caribbean to provide this for free and only charge for the pictures." Then I checked the brochure it said the package starts at $450...

OP, maybe you can post on your roll call and see if anyone would be willing to work with you to document the proposal?

Yikes...I think this can be arranged personally very easily without the help ($'s) of RCI ;)

Go to one of the many photographers together - you could even give the photographer a heads up beforehand, maybe while she is finishing dressing. After you have been posed for picture, pop down on one knee with the ring.

A marriage proposal is a personal thing....it's not something a woman EVER forgets...no need for a picture!

speak for yourself. I think having a photographer to capture the moment would be beyond romantic.

We were at a waterfalls on a trail at the Smokies NP and a young man saw that my daughter has a big camera and was taking artistic shots. He came up to her and asked if she would use his camera and take pictures of his proposal. She agreed and helped him choose a spot. He was lucky to have asked a professional artist. I am sure he had amazing pictures. Perhaps you can find a fellow passenger to help.

If that is what they want - I think its their choice - this kind of response - UNK - everyone should have what THEY want

As mentioned, there are a few proposal threads, and I recall one where someone on the Roll Call took the photos and I think a violinist was hired to play. :confused: I suggest doing a Search (on the RCI forum) for illini grad proposal and reading through those threads. Best wishes!

Saw 2 proposals on the Allure. One was during pictures on first formal night. The second right before ice show. Announcer said the was a small special announcement that needed to be made and could he have everyone's attention then gave the man the microphone. Very nice touch.

omg...just propose already! A photo-op? Really?

A marriage proposal is a personal thing....it's not something a woman ever forgets...no need for a picture!

myob :rolleyes:

Edited by ryano

The easiest way to have RC photographers capture it for you (at no charge) is on a formal night.... While taking your formal photos, after a couple pictures, drop to one knee and Ta-Da they will be taking the pictures!

Seems like some good suggestions here although if having photos etc. of the event is that important you may not want to leave it up to a stranger so going on the roll call and asking someone could be risky. The idea of just dropping on a knee when doing pictures is a good one.

I proposed to my wife on Liberty of the Seas b/c we did our first cruise together on Liberty and had great memories of that trip. I ran down to get her a rose in the Promenade while she was getting ready for the evening and put the ring under the planner. I put the rose on top. When she came out of the bathroom she thought it was unusual. I then asked her to check the planner for something and dropped down on my knee as she saw the ring. She was shaking, crying, and of course smiling all at the same time. I myself wouldn't want to do this in front of a crowd or have a photographer. Just my preference. Who ever said you will never forget it is correct. That memory doesn't go away.

I did this on night 1 and would encourage anyone doing it to do it on day or night one. Too much worrying otherwise. Also, when we met people my wife of course said I just proposed to her and showed her ring, etc.. Everyone loved it and everyone kept buying us drinks so that was a lot of fun. We met so many people and had so much fun because we had the whole trip to enjoy the moment. One couple we met even ended up attending our wedding and we may be cruising with them this summer with our 1 year old daughter and their 2 kids.

Funny thing is I had the ring in my carry on (of course) and they started to really examine my bag which got me so worried that she was going to see the ring. I think I started sweating which probably made me look like I was trying to bring on something illegal.

Best of luck to you. I really don't think you can go wrong popping the question at sea. Can there be a better place than on a ship at sea?

Maybe because it has already been a long day at work (and the day is just getting started) but there are so many things I would like to say in response to this...99.99% of them would probably get me tossed from the board.

So, I will just offer advice to the OP, when you see or here a comment like this (about your plans specifically or in general) just remember that some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them.

This may or may not apply to cb at sea...I will let you decide that.

Maybe because it has already been a long day at work (and the day is just getting started) but there are so many things I would like to say in response to this...99.99% of them would probably get me tossed from the board.

So, I will just offer advice to the OP, when you see or here a comment like this (about your plans specifically or in general) just remember that some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them.

This may or may not apply to cb at sea...I will let you decide that.

I just blew coffee all over my keyboard! Thanks for the chuckle. :D;)