Guarantee downgrade?

RobandJames

We are sailing on Sept 8th on Connie and booked via a large US TA 2 guarantee 2A cabins. One was allocated a cabin number and the other, we had a call last night telling us "Celebrity had overbooked and there are no balcony cabins left so we either rebook you on a future cruise or downgrade you to an inside window and give you $200 OBC pp and one passenger travels for free".

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Our guarantee is 2A or above not below!!!

Edited by RobandJames

We are sailing on Sept 8th on Connie and booked via a large US TA 2 guarantee 2A cabins. One was allocated a cabin number and the other, we had a call last night telling us "Celebrity had overbooked and there are no balcony cabins left so we either rebook you on a future cruise or downgrade you to an inside window and give you $200 OBC pp and one passenger travels for free".

A bit like some lines move over offers.

I wouldn't be happy with that offer either. One person free the other persons fare in OBC might be closer to the mark.

What's an inside window?

You booked a year out and there are no balcony guarantees left?

Hmmm.... I say it is your TA's problem, they should fix this to your satisfaction.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

You booked a year out and there are no balcony guarantees left?

Hmmm.... I say it is your TA's problem, they should fix this to your satisfaction.

Reader

Totally agree...you had an agreement with them, they should act on your behalf. Are you sure it is not them who have messed up?

However, there is a point in all holiday mess ups when you have to consider what to fight for and when to go with the flow and make the most of what you have been offered or risk spoiling the whole experience.

Whatever you decide, I hope your group can sort things out...

Edited by chemmo

Totally agree...you had an agreement with them, they should act on your behalf. Are you sure it is not them who have messed up?

However, there is a point in all holiday mess ups when you have to consider what to fight for and when to go with the flow and make the most of what you have been offered or risk spoiling the whole experience.

Whatever you decide, I hope your group can sort things out...

I do think it's the TA who messed up. I called Celebrity and they said it's never their policy to downgrade a guarantee so I think it's the TA. Sadly it's our friends first cruise so they really want the balcony. Maybe we will have to swap rooms with them!

I do think it's the TA who messed up. I called Celebrity and they said it's never their policy to downgrade a guarantee so I think it's the TA. Sadly it's our friends first cruise so they really want the balcony. Maybe we will have to swap rooms with them!

That could be a nice gesture....If you are going to try to make the most of your cruise why not treat yourselves to a few luxuries with that extra money? Drinks package, speciality dining package, in room bar set up....

Edited by chemmo

I would not let this ruin my vacation,however I would not let the TA get away with this. Ask for a supervisor,keep going up the chain of command.

Why should you or your friends settle for a TA's mistake/short comings?

(Keep a positive attitude on your vacation, but see what can be done for you ,with a bit of a push back at the TA/Company).

If they are not receptive to you, do not hesitate to take it to a social media forum....bad publicity is not good for them. Is celebrity on that social media website? Post the name of the TA company on that website.

You deserve what you contracted for or compensation to your satisfaction!

All the best,

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Thank you. It won't ruin our holiday but we will be pursuing it with the TA.

Question- has this happened to anyone else. Is it a common occurance?

In twenty five cruises ,never! I have booked all kinds of cabins/guarantee's.

Also have never read that this happened.

Also would like to say this is why I no longer use TA's ,some give the rest a bad name!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I would go to the fish website find out what the lowest price that an OV been listed and ask for that price

But besides that I usually look at booking inside cabins now ,so I would take that deal, been in balconies and never use it that much , rather be out and about talking with people

Personally I would struggle in a cabin without a balcony because the air-conditioning does seem to cause me problems with my asthma.

If I can't get any fresh air into my cabin I have far more issues and spend a lot of time coughing and with a tight wheezy chest.

Off topic but I do struggle these days as a lot of hotels seem to have a/c and windows that are fixed shut. My poor OH gets very little sleep on such occasions as I cough all night :mad:.

I just spoke with the TA and they are adamant that Celebrity contacted them yesterday to tell them there are no balcony Cabins left and the TA said all categories above are sold out. Not sure if I believe they but they are going to have to offer us more to downgrade.

I just checked and we made this booking on Aug 4th 2015!!!!

I just spoke with the TA and they are adamant that Celebrity contacted them yesterday to tell them there are no balcony Cabins left and the TA said all categories above are sold out. Not sure if I believe they but they are going to have to offer us more to downgrade.

I realize this is the Celebrity board, but, have read on some Princess boards of a FREE cruise and more to downgrade. I don't think they are offering you enough. I understand you are a guarantee, BUT, I believe your reservations reads that you are guaranteed said category class at MINIMUM.

I am sure that they are adamant that celebrity has no balcony cabins left. Why did they not secure a balcony cabin any balcony cabin for you when you booked with them?

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I would go to the fish website find out what the lowest price that an OV been listed and ask for that price

But besides that I usually look at booking inside cabins now ,so I would take that deal, been in balconies and never use it that much , rather be out and about talking with people

All due respect : They booked a balcony cabin, and that is what they should receive or higher.

Although a better compensation package, would work I am sure.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

The Same thing happened to us. On Thursday Our TA advised us that Celebrity would be calling us about the problem.

We spoke to Celebrity yesterday and it was not the travel agency screwup. 35 veranda staterooms had bad water leaks

and they had to close the rooms off for repairs.

Look up the rollcall for Constellation Sept. 8, Greece and Adriatic for the full discussion. This does not happen ever. We booked 1 year ago and were on veranda guarantee the whole time. I'm very happy for the $2057 refund and $400 OBC. Don't

Blame your travel agent.

The Same thing happened to us. On Thursday Our TA advised us that Celebrity would be calling us about the problem.

We spoke to Celebrity yesterday and it was not the travel agency screwup. 35 veranda staterooms had bad water leaks

Look up the rollcall for Constellation Sept. 8, Greece and Adriatic for the full discussion. This does not happen ever. We booked 1 year ago and were on veranda guarantee the whole time. I'm very happy for the $2057 refund and $400 OBC. Don't

Blame your travel agent.

If this is the case than this TA needs to get a better result for their clients.

Or the block of rooms this TA held,had water leaks, still the TA's problem.

Edited by Reader0108598

Blame your travel agent.

If you are happy with your result ...great! :)

The op is not ,his TA needs to make it right!

Edited by Reader0108598

RobandJames,

Sorry to hear about your issue and I am sure most people would be upset.

Sounds like Celebrity is offering you a 50% reduction in your fare and $400 OBC to downgrade to an Oceanview. It is possible that some people would be happy with that kind of offer, but it stinks to not really have a choice. Perhaps someone else in a balcony would jump on the offer, but how would you know?

I would ask the TA if you really have a choice and tell them what would make you happy especially since cancelling is not an option you would consider.

I checked and your cruise is listed as Sold Out which does leave much hope for a better cabin, but perhaps just a better deal? But you are in a tough position. Unless your TA can negotiate a better deal I would probably take the offer and make sure you TA knows and communicates your disappointment.

Good luck.

Edited by jagoffee