Future Cruise Deposit expiring?

thinfool

We have FCD's that expire in December....I called Princess today to see if they could be extended....NO....two years is it, sort of.

The fella I spoke to said there is a workaround.

Use the FCD's to book a cruise way out in the future (this is allowed). Even if it is one that we have no intention of taking.

In the interim, if we find a cruise that we like, we can call Princess, or our TA, and have the former cruise cancelled and simultaneously move the FCD to the cruise we actually want.

Not perfect but doable.

I still wish they were valid for 4 years (like in the old days :rolleyes::p)

We have FCD's that expire in December....I called Princess today to see if they could be extended....NO....two years is it, sort of.

Use the FCD's to book a cruise way out in the future (this is allowed). Even if it is one that we have no intention of taking.

In the interim, if we find a cruise that we like, we can call Princess, or our TA, and have the former cruise cancelled and simultaneously move the FCD to the cruise we actually want.

Not perfect but doable.

If you call Princess . i've heard that they can extend them for another year or two.

Edited by Kamloops50

2 weeks ago I just extended 2 of ours that were expiring soon. They extended both for 2 additional years without booking anything. No change in OBC.

If you book like they say when you cancel to move it they will refund the FCC.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

2 weeks ago I just extended 2 of ours that were expiring soon. They extended both for 2 additional years without booking anything. No change in OBC.

If you book like they say when you cancel to move it they will refund the FCC.

Who did you speak to? Phone number?

I tried to find a number for the Captain's Circle but couldn't. So I wound up with a CS guy who wanted to be helpful, but what I posted is what he told me.

Who did you speak to? Phone number?

I tried to find a number for the Captain's Circle but couldn't. So I wound up with a CS guy who wanted to be helpful, but what I posted is what he told me.

I called and spoke to someone in CS. She was more then helpful and was the one to offer the extension. Did not pay attention to a name.

Calling the CC would be a good idea.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I have two FCCs expiring at the end of December. But we'll be on the CB earlier in the month. I may be booking a February cruise either before that cruise or after it but before the other FCCs expire. But if they do expire, I'll have a couple of additional ones purchased on the CB. Now that I'm about to retire, I'd like to always have a few available.

I had FCCs that were due to expire shortly after I was making a booking -- but it turned out to be a better deal to use Amex Platinum and get that deal instead. Shortly after the FCCs expired Princess automatically sent me a check -- so even if you don't extend you won't lose your money.

I had FCCs that were due to expire shortly after I was making a booking -- but it turned out to be a better deal to use Amex Platinum and get that deal instead. Shortly after the FCCs expired Princess automatically sent me a check -- so even if you don't extend you won't lose your money.

Please explain how you use the Amex Platinum to get a better deal than using FCCs.

We usually book with our Amex Platinum AND FCCs and sometimes get a small bonus ($100 or so) and discount on the cruise. But I wasn't aware that using one precluded using the other.

Oh -0 and for the person that was told you couldn't extend the FCCs - call back and get a different rep.

I know from experience that they can do it if they want to.

Edited by chamima

Please explain how you use the Amex Platinum to get a better deal than using FCCs.

We usually book with our Amex Platinum AND FCCs and sometimes get a small bonus ($100 or so) and discount on the cruise. But I wasn't aware that using one precluded using the other.

Amex Platinum Cruise Benefit Program gives "$100 USD shipboard credit for inside and outside staterooms; $200 USD shipboard credit for balcony, verandah, and mini-suite staterooms; and $300 USD shipboard credit for suites on Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line." To qualify, you must use the Amex Platinum card for the initial booking and final payment -- so if you use the FCC, you should not be eligible for the Amex benefit. This is in addition to any OBC or rebate you get from your travel agent. Full details here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/detail/cruises-privileges?isDirect=true#detail

Amex Platinum Cruise Benefit Program gives "$100 USD shipboard credit for inside and outside staterooms; $200 USD shipboard credit for balcony, verandah, and mini-suite staterooms; and $300 USD shipboard credit for suites on Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line." To qualify, you must use the Amex Platinum card for the initial booking and final payment -- so if you use the FCC, you should not be eligible for the Amex benefit. This is in addition to any OBC or rebate you get from your travel agent. Full details here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/detail/cruises-privileges?isDirect=true#detail

We always make sure to buy our FCCs with our Amex platinum! :D

(And we usually sail in balconies or mini-suites and also usually only get $100. It has always said "up to $300 on board credit " but we've somehow never qualified for that. Even the few times we've sailed in suites.)

Still, it's better than Celebrity - who now give us nothing for the Amex.

Edited by chamima

Follow up:

I read your comments about success in having your FCD's extended, and then happened upon the email address for the Captain's Circle. (captainscircle@princesscruises.com)

So I sent a brief, polite email requesting a 2 year extension of our existing FCD's. I included my name, my wife's name and our passenger numbers.

And then promptly forgot about it.

5 days later (today) we each received confirmation that our FCD's have been extended by the requested 2 years.

Thanks to everyone that commented on our plight.

Follow up:

I read your comments about success in having your FCD's extended, and then happened upon the email address for the Captain's Circle. (captainscircle@princesscruises.com)

So I sent a brief, polite email requesting a 2 year extension of our existing FCD's. I included my name, my wife's name and our passenger numbers.

5 days later (today) we each received confirmation that our FCD's have been extended by the requested 2 years.

4e5cf7d4ccb9c59b6620a9c71944d51e.jpg

Not perfect but doable.

Use them or lose them.

Follow up:

Happy for you!! It's good to be persistent. :)

Tony