Hoist thing for swimming pool....

chemmo

I have a couple of questions re the chair hoist thing that enables mobility challenged guests to get into the pool (sorry I don't know it's real name). Sailed on S class ships so many times but you don't notice so many things until they become of relevance to you...

Firstly we are nearly sure there was one of these in the Solarium area on the Eclipse can anyone confirm?

Is there also one by the outside pool?

Assuming there are can you just ask one of the pool attendants to operate it for you or do you have to prearrange a time?

Can one of these also be used to get in and out of a jacuzzi?

Expected to be back on my feet before my cruise but now I know I am not going to be....still determined to enjoy my cruise to the full, however!

Hoyer Lift. You were close. Hope you recover soon.

Thank you! I have more in common with the bionic woman by the day!

Seriously, very blessed, so thankful for modern surgery I should recover significant mobility soon....I honestly feel very lucky that I can spend some recovery time on ship being pampered.....my better half can't wait to hand over some of his duties to our butler! It should be a very relaxing end to what has been quite a difficult Summer.

Thanks again for your thoughts and information.

Edited by chemmo

As far as I can recall, the conveyer will only lower you into a hit tub, not the main pool.

By main pool do you mean the outside pools or also the Solarium?

Can anyone else please clarify....Hot tub is better than nothing but I was hoping that leisurely stretches and exercises in the Solarium pool would aid my physio...

Thanks Alsmez,

That looks like what we vaguely remember....As I said in my opening post...you just don't notice so many things until they are suddenly important to you...

Greatly appreciate your post.

By main pool do you mean the outside pools or also the Solarium?

Can anyone else please clarify....Hot tub is better than nothing but I was hoping that leisurely stretches and exercises in the Solarium pool would aid my physio...

The one in the solarium on the Summit will only provide access to a hot tub, not the main pool in the Solarium.

The video shows the same.

It isn't intended for you to be able to unbuckle and swim around. It's intended to just lower you into the hot tub, allow you to sit there, and then be raised out.

I don't know about the other ships.

If you are unsteady on your feet, I would think there would be great liability concern about you walking around in the pool.

The one in the solarium on the Summit will only provide access to a hot tub, not the main pool in the Solarium.

The video shows the same.

It isn't intended for you to be able to unbuckle and swim around. It's intended to just lower you into the hot tub, allow you to sit there, and then be raised out.

I don't know about the other ships.

If you are unsteady on your feet, I would think there would be great liability concern about you walking around in the pool.

Thanks for your information...what I thought was a simple question seems to be getting more complex...By the time I cruise I will not be able to manage the steps into the pool but should be fine in the water. I have always been a competent swimmer but obviously in my present condition I would only access with a companion. My physio can involve some hydrotherapy hence my initial question...Certainly the pictures on the S class look like you can access the Solarium pool....

Interested to hear further information....

Yes I have seen a pool attendant assist someone with the hoist into the main pool when on the Eclipse. It is a good pool for a cruise ship pool. I found the Eclipse and its staff wonderfully disabled friendly. The staff couldn't do enough for me.

Yes I have seen a pool attendant assist someone with the hoist into the main pool when on the Eclipse. It is a good pool for a cruise ship pool. I found the Eclipse and its staff wonderfully disabled friendly. The staff couldn't do enough for me.

Thanks Helen, we were on the Eclipse earlier this year and also found the staff great. Although I had some issues then I could, using the rail, walk independently into the pool, as I presently need crutches steps are out!! As I said in a previous post, until you need equipment like this you just don't notice it....

Glad someone has reported seeing the hoist in use, very reassuring!

I don't believe this to be true. Where did you get this idea? Every pool hoist I've seen allows you to unbuckle and move off the seat. They're purposely designed that way because people who have mobility issues regularly use swimming as exercise. It makes less than zero sense that Celebrity would use it to just dunk you in the water and make you sit strapped to the seat like you're a steeping tea bag.

The M-class do only seem to have lifts into the hot tubs in the Solarium, but I know Summit has one into the outside pool. I know Reflection has a couple for the outside pool but not sure about Eclipse. Recent photos don't seem to show them in the pool area, but it's quite possible they have a portable one for use when needed. They definitely have one for the Solarium pool

Chemmo, have you contacted the access department to ask? Their email is special_needs@celebrity.com. I'd be interested to know what you find out specific to Eclipse either before you go or after your trip.

Chemmo, have you contacted the access department to ask? Their email is special_needs@celebrity.com. I'd be interested to know what you find out specific to Eclipse either before you go or after your trip.

Thanks for your post. We haven't contacted access as I really don't need much support.

We will, however, ask the shoreside concierge to alert our butler if we think of anything else we need. We will be requesting the butler we had in March who told us he would look after us when we returned. I have a travel chair of my own and hope in my very non glamorous orthopaedic boot and crutches to do some hopping about. ....The boot can come off as long as I am sat down. Life could be much harder!

I plan, as always, to do some sort of report from our cruise...I will include some accessibility details re the pools, our suite (RS) and its suitability for guests with mobility issues. I am also interested in how accessible tours are. We have quite a bit of OBC and would like to do a couple of short trips if I can get on and off a coach! If I can access the pool it is a real benefit if I can't it isn't a deal breaker....we just need some nice meals and attention after a very difficult Summer!

I think there is generally an issue for those of us who have 'temporary' disabilities as we do not have the 'planning foresight' of guests who have permanent problems...For example, pre cruise, we have booked a stay in a fantastic 15 th Century Inn in the New Forest and I will be very glamorously going up and down stairs on my backside!!

Sincere thanks to all those who have taken the trouble to reply to my queries on this post...I will report back on details I think may be of use to others, for example, how long I have to wait for someone to lower me in or take me out of the pool!