Room Service Trays

bUU

Not only are the ship’s personnel behind the scenes being robbed,the person being individually tipped has also been cheated.
The good news is that only one of those two things are true. In the scenario you outlined, the person being individually tipped is still getting what they're supposed to be getting.

Oh, and before I get off my soap box, why do passengers insist on leaving their used Room Service trays outside their doors.
This has been discussed before, in threads that often become contentious.
Well my room steward said they go outside the door and that's where they will continue to go period!
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2530035

Both sides have strong arguments explaining why their perspective is correct. Generally, the issue is that calling room service to retrieve the tray does not result in a timely retrieval, or results in advice to leave it in the hallway, or some combination. The bottom line is that each person deserves the respect for their perspective that they expect their perspective to receive from others. If you feel as you do, don't leave your trays in the hallway. Otherwise, do. And until the cruise line takes a definitive side on the matter (i.e., "Do not leave trays in the hallways"), neither side should think any less of the other for doing what they believe is correct.

Edited by bUU

The good news is that only one of those two things are true. In the scenario you outlined, the person being individually tipped is still getting what they're supposed to be getting.

This has been discussed before, in threads that often become contentious. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2530035

Both sides have strong arguments explaining why their perspective is correct. Generally, the issue is that calling room service to retrieve the tray does not result in a timely retrieval, or results in advice to leave it in the hallway, or some combination. The bottom line is that each person deserves the respect for their perspective that they expect their perspective to receive from others. If you feel as you do, don't leave your trays in the hallway. Otherwise, do. And until the cruise line takes a definitive side on the matter (i.e., "Do not leave trays in the hallways"), neither side should think any less of the other for doing what they believe is correct.

I always thought i was helping the CS when i put our heavy breakfast tray outside the cabin.

I always thought i was helping the CS when i put our heavy breakfast tray outside the cabin.
And indeed you are if they come to retrieve the tray after you've gone out or gone to sleep. But we should leave that discussion for the linked thread; this thread is about tipping.

And indeed you are if they come to retrieve the tray after you've gone out or gone to sleep. But we should leave that discussion for the linked thread; this thread is about tipping.

Thats true but i was just linking a comment to your post.

............................Generally, the issue is that calling room service to retrieve the tray does not result in a timely retrieval, or results in advice to leave it in the hallway, or some combination. .........................

Just wondering; where did you hear that (bolded)?

Just wondering; where did you hear that (bolded)?
I think it is important to keep in mind what I wrote earlier: "And until the cruise line takes a definitive side on the matter (i.e., 'Do not leave trays in the hallways'), neither side should think any less of the other for doing what they believe is correct." Of course, Holland America actually does take a definitive stand:

attachment.php?attachmentid=413278&stc=1&d=1515614191

As long as that card is on the tray, people don't have an excuse.

However, if one staffer forgets to put that card on the tray, all bets are off, because there are other cruise lines that don't take a definitive stand, and passengers are told by staffers to leave trays in the halls. (I know that from personal experience on our most recent cruise, as well as numerous corroborating reports from other passengers.)

Some cruise lines (Carnival for one) actually TELL you to but your used trays in the hall. On RCCL (Oasis) the same.

Also, even on Holland America, there have been concerns expressed in this forum about the timely retrieval of the trays. Card or no card, if someone calls and the tray isn't removed presently, it is reasonable for people to decide for themselves how to adapt to the ship's failure. Some will fall-back on what they view as standard practice on cruise lines in general and in hotels in general, i.e., leaving trays in the halls. (Personally, I'd leave it out on the balcony, but I have that luxury. Other passengers do not.) We don't have to agree about what we each would do; we just have to agree to respect each other's decisions in that regard, when the cruise line fails to hold up its end of the bargain.

For folks for whom this is a concern, they should take it up with the ship and cruise line, working to make it a much higher priority for the ship to do their job retrieving trays when passengers call for retrieval. Blaming other passengers for the ship's failure is just petty and pointless.

But really, this is a thread about tipping, not room service.

Capture.JPG.9b5017d39fbf9529fdc83ca9d432ebc4.JPG

Edited by bUU

You really need to hear yourself.
Please accept that not everyone agrees with your perspective on the topic, and that there is legitimate disagreement even if you disagree with it. And there is no excuse for the kind of nasty things people have posted about those who choose to leave their trays outside their cabin doors.

Please accept that not everyone agrees with your perspective on the topic, and that there is legitimate disagreement even if you disagree with it. And there is no excuse for the kind of nasty things people have posted about those who choose to leave their trays outside their cabin doors.

I agree,our breakfast tray is heavy and with knee and hip arthritis it isn't always easy to bend and put the tray on the floor outside our cabin but i always did it because i thought i was helping our CS.

some fine folks continue to feel the need to place the trays, linen, ceramics and silverware on the floor outside their doors in the public corridor which then presents a safety/tripping hazard for their fellow pax and crew, incl. 1st responders, using that corridor in an emergency

But it also provides the opportunity to collect a nice service for 8 of HAL china and silverware for those so inclined.

Wow,

I don't think we have ever put our trays out in the hallway. But we generally only get Breakfast delivered and we simply leave it on the table for our steward to deal with when he cleans the room. We just have to make sure that we get the extras (Sweetener, jam, clean napkins, etc.) put away before we leave the cabin.

Wow,

I don't think we have ever put our trays out in the hallway. But we generally only get Breakfast delivered and we simply leave it on the table for our steward to deal with when he cleans the room. We just have to make sure that we get the extras (Sweetener, jam, clean napkins, etc.) put away before we leave the cabin.

We do exactly the same thing! We put everything on the tray after we've rinsed the cups/glasses (so as not to spill on the tray) and the plates and silverware. Put the tray on the desk and when we return it's gone! We also try to call housekeeping to pick it up, but if they don't do it before we want to leave the cabin......the tray stays in the cabin for the steward. No mess in the hall for people to fall over and the steward will take care of it gladly.

We do exactly the same thing! We put everything on the tray after we've rinsed the cups/glasses (so as not to spill on the tray) and the plates and silverware. Put the tray on the desk and when we return it's gone! We also try to call housekeeping to pick it up, but if they don't do it before we want to leave the cabin......the tray stays in the cabin for the steward. No mess in the hall for people to fall over and the steward will take care of it gladly.

On our last cruise i asked our CS what was best for him and he said,Leave the tray on the Table so thats what i will do in future.

DITTO for us!

We only order room service once in a blue moon. I do remember putting my tray out one time because we needed the tabletop space though, but we do not make a habit of it. Usually the cabin fairy picks it up inside.

I have to ask though, has anybody here actually tripped over a tray in the hallway? I mean, you're walking down the hall and you see it at 50 ft, 40 ft, 30 ft, 5,4,3,2,1 and thud, you still trip over it? Unless the offender is sneaking it out at the last minute under your foot, you should be able to steer well clear and avoid the big fall.

Maybe we are making a mountain our of a mole hill, but if you've actually tripped and/or fallen speak up and let us know what happened.

I have to ask though, has anybody here actually tripped over a tray in the hallway? I mean, you're walking down the hall and you see it at 50 ft, 40 ft, 30 ft, 5,4,3,2,1 and thud, you still trip over it? Unless the offender is sneaking it out at the last minute under your foot, you should be able to steer well clear and avoid the big fall.

Maybe we are making a mountain our of a mole hill, but if you've actually tripped and/or fallen speak up and let us know what happened.

You are probably correct that it is not a problem for 90% of the guests. However, I could see where folks in wheelchairs or use walkers or have sight impairments that could be a problem.

You are probably correct that it is not a problem for 90% of the guests. However, I could see where folks in wheelchairs or use walkers or have sight impairments that could be a problem.

The ship isn't always stable -- a little bump of a wave can knock people off balance. Or knock dishes off the tray. So it really isn't an issue about H/C vs A/B. Those trays in the hallway can present a risk to anyone.

For those of us who use Rollators and Scooters -- leaving a large tray on the floor in the hallway -- especially after we have turned a corner and then discover that we can't get by the tray -- means we have to turn around and back track and find another route to get where we want to go.

Please think of we handicapped people!!

I think trays out in the narrow passageways is a safety issue. If the kaka ever does hit the fan, and you must evacuate the cabins or the ship, and the only lights you have in the passageways are the special emergency green floor level lighting, they don't want guests stumbling and falling over trays that have been placed out there. Also, guests that use walkers, wheelchairs or scooters may also have problems navigating around food trays. The HAL card always placed on your tray does say "For everyone's safety......". I think that is the real issue. Same reason the airlines want your carry on bags totally under your seat. If you have to get out fast, they don't you stumbling over other people's bags.

I think trays out in the narrow passageways is a safety issue. If the kaka ever does hit the fan, and you must evacuate the cabins or the ship, and the only lights you have in the passageways are the special emergency green floor level lighting, they don't want guests stumbling and falling over trays that have been placed out there. Also, guests that use walkers or scooters may also have problems navigating around food trays. The HAL card always placed on your tray does say "For everyone's safety......". I think that is the real issue. Same reason the airlines want your carry on bags totally under your seat. If you have to get out fast, they don't you stumbling over other people's bags.

Yes! Thank you! (y)

I think trays out in the narrow passageways is a safety issue. If the kaka ever does hit the fan, and you must evacuate the cabins or the ship, and the only lights you have in the passageways are the special emergency green floor level lighting, they don't want guests stumbling and falling over trays that have been placed out there. Also, guests that use walkers, wheelchairs or scooters may also have problems navigating around food trays. The HAL card always placed on your tray does say "For everyone's safety......". I think that is the real issue. Same reason the airlines want your carry on bags totally under your seat. If you have to get out fast, they don't you stumbling over other people's bags.

Maybe HAL should post signs in the hallway about this in addition to placing cards on the room service trays, that might take care of the repeat offenders and raise the awareness level of the safety dangers.

We only order room service once in a blue moon. I do remember putting my tray out one time because we needed the tabletop space though, but we do not make a habit of it. Usually the cabin fairy picks it up inside.

Someone had a valid point on the other thread. You have a cane in one hand and the railing in the other, the ship is rocking, and you have to limp around a tray.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have had room service only a few times. When done I called to have them pick up the tray. We only order breakfast. By dinner, even with reminder calls, the tray is still there when we return to change for dinner. So outside the door it’s goes. There isn’t enough room for me, my husband and our breakfast trays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone had a valid point on the other thread. You have a cane in one hand and the railing in the other, the ship is rocking, and you have to limp around a tray.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is nothing worse than pushing someone in a wheelchair down a long hallway, and then encountering a dirty tray outside a door. No room to get past so you have to retrace your steps all the way back and try going down the hallway on the other side. On our last cruise one particular cabin kept leaving their tray outside. Eventually I complained about it to the concierge, and they stopped doing it. It is an absolute given that you do not leave trays in the hallway, if only for safety reasons. It is not the same as a hotel - ships rock and roll!