Eurodam's retreat cabanas review

sauvichick

:D :D :D Husband & I were on the 3 nighter 8/29-9/1. First thing we did once we boarded was to rent a cabana for Sunday. The weather was supposed to be better that day. The price for the retreat cabanas is $50 on port days & $75 on sea days . (The lido cabanas are $35 & $50 but are very close together and there is very little room inside.) We were asked if we wanted a double deck chair or 2 single deck chairs. I wanted my own because I fidget.The cabanas are named for different locations around the world. Ours was named Palma de Mallorca. Afterwards we went to the retreat area to check it out. It was in the ideal location. It was so nice. There are plenty of cushioned deck chairs in the sun for your use as well as tables with chairs, and sofas. The area is roped off but people can still walk through. On one side of our cabana there is a walkway and on the other side was more cabanas. If you book one ask about the location. The 2 family sized ones are over twice the size of the regular ones with 4 deck chairs and a table with 4 chairs. Some cabanas face the starboard side and others faced the port side. It looked like those would receive less of a breeze because they have the "plastic" wall for safety. Ours faced the lido pool and it was not noisy. You also had the option of closing the flaps to your cabana. We were told it was ours from 9AM-5PM. We arrived at 10 to a champagne bucket with 2 bottles of Evian and 2 Evian face misters. There was also 2 plates of fruit skewers as well as organic cotton robes for our use. We also met Louie & Ryan, the 2 HAL employees who worked in the retreat. Shortly after our arrival we were asked if we would like to borrow an IPOD. Wow I was excited considering I don't know how to use it. We were given assistance. It took me all day to go through the list and listen to my favorites. There were so many songs & genres-enough to make everyone happy. There is also a cabana menu consisting of about 8 items-burgers with fries, paninis, a Greek style pita sandwich and my favorite salad nicoise (very fresh). All day long Ryan & Louie would ask if we needed anything in an unobtrusive manner. We were given a snack around noon. Pita triangles with tuna salad and some couscous. Around 4PM they came around with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and white chocolate covered grapes. Around 4:30 my IPOd's batteries died and when I returned it to Louie he was surprised I returned it early. I told him about the batteries and he came back with 2 more. We had such a great time and truly enjoyed it. Throughout the day passengers would come in and sit down. They were informed it was for private use I guess because they would leave the area. Just an FYI we did tip and so did others.Some things to end off on... I would rent one again in a heartbeat. I wonder if HAL is planning on adding it to the 2010 ship.A lot of posters stated it took away from deck space but there were many empty chairs in areas away from the pools. It was very relaxing. It is open to anyone including children. We were fortunate they were well-behaved. I'm not sure if there is a limit on how many people can rent one cabana but sometimes there was an entourage for 1 cabana. I have to say the area had plenty of room to accomodate anyone. If anyone has questions I will not be able to answer them until Friday or Saturday because my 1st day of teaching is tomorrow.

Hi Bicster,

Thanks for all the great info on the Retreat Cabanas. :D

We are on the 11/8 sailing of the Eurodam and purchased a corner Cabana. When I called HAL I was told that I could only pre-book the retreat Cabana for the week , so we did. They also said it would be available until 8-9PM.

I'm so glad that the Cabana is going to be all that we hoped it would be.:)

Until we sail:cool:

:D :D :D Husband & I were on the 3 nighter 8/29-9/1. First thing we did once we boarded was to rent a cabana for Sunday. The weather was supposed to be better that day. The price for the retreat cabanas is $50 on port days & $75 on sea days . (The lido cabanas are $35 & $50 but are very close together and there is very little room inside.) We were asked if we wanted a double deck chair or 2 single deck chairs. I wanted my own because I fidget.The cabanas are named for different locations around the world. Ours was named Palma de Mallorca. Afterwards we went to the retreat area to check it out. It was in the ideal location. It was so nice. There are plenty of cushioned deck chairs in the sun for your use as well as tables with chairs, and sofas. The area is roped off but people can still walk through. On one side of our cabana there is a walkway and on the other side was more cabanas. If you book one ask about the location. The 2 family sized ones are over twice the size of the regular ones with 4 deck chairs and a table with 4 chairs. Some cabanas face the starboard side and others faced the port side. It looked like those would receive less of a breeze because they have the "plastic" wall for safety. Ours faced the lido pool and it was not noisy. You also had the option of closing the flaps to your cabana. We were told it was ours from 9AM-5PM. We arrived at 10 to a champagne bucket with 2 bottles of Evian and 2 Evian face misters. There was also 2 plates of fruit skewers as well as organic cotton robes for our use. We also met Louie & Ryan, the 2 HAL employees who worked in the retreat. Shortly after our arrival we were asked if we would like to borrow an IPOD. Wow I was excited considering I don't know how to use it. We were given assistance. It took me all day to go through the list and listen to my favorites. There were so many songs & genres-enough to make everyone happy. There is also a cabana menu consisting of about 8 items-burgers with fries, paninis, a Greek style pita sandwich and my favorite salad nicoise (very fresh). All day long Ryan & Louie would ask if we needed anything in an unobtrusive manner. We were given a snack around noon. Pita triangles with tuna salad and some couscous. Around 4PM they came around with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and white chocolate covered grapes. Around 4:30 my IPOd's batteries died and when I returned it to Louie he was surprised I returned it early. I told him about the batteries and he came back with 2 more. We had such a great time and truly enjoyed it. Throughout the day passengers would come in and sit down. They were informed it was for private use I guess because they would leave the area. Just an FYI we did tip and so did others.Some things to end off on... I would rent one again in a heartbeat. I wonder if HAL is planning on adding it to the 2010 ship.A lot of posters stated it took away from deck space but there were many empty chairs in areas away from the pools. It was very relaxing. It is open to anyone including children. We were fortunate they were well-behaved. I'm not sure if there is a limit on how many people can rent one cabana but sometimes there was an entourage for 1 cabana. I have to say the area had plenty of room to accomodate anyone. If anyone has questions I will not be able to answer them until Friday or Saturday because my 1st day of teaching is tomorrow.

Hi Bickster, if I had known you were up there, I would have come and visited. But, then, it wouldn't have been a retreat. Glad you enjoyed your time on the Eurodam.

I have a feeling "the Retreat" cabanas on Eurodam will be a popular thing especially when she reaches the warm waters of the Caribbean. I'm just hoping that the cabanas alongside the Lido Pool will be removed soon

Couldn't agree with you more. The Lido is so difficult to navigate with those cabanas there. And really, they don't look pretty.

I called HAL today and was able to rent either the Lido or Retreat Cabanas for the entire week. However, there was no choice of specific cabanas. They told me that I would pick the cabana after boarding.

So for those of you who have rented, a few questions:

1. Did you have a choice of a specific LIDO or RETREAT cabana if you rented prior to boarding on the 800 #?

2. if you were travelling with three adult children- 19, 19, 23 yrs old- which cabana would you go for?

3. Does the Retreat cabana gives us access to private lounge chairs for our use? Is there enough loungers to all if they want to sit outside of the cabana?

4. I toured the ship yesterday and saw the inside of the LIDO cabanas- what type of seating is inside of the Retreat cabanas?

Any other thoughts or comments are welcome.

I called HAL today and was able to rent either the Lido or Retreat Cabanas for the entire week. However, there was no choice of specific cabanas. They told me that I would pick the cabana after boarding.

So for those of you who have rented, a few questions:

1. Did you have a choice of a specific LIDO or RETREAT cabana if you rented prior to boarding on the 800 #?

2. if you were travelling with three adult children- 19, 19, 23 yrs old- which cabana would you go for?

3. Does the Retreat cabana gives us access to private lounge chairs for our use? Is there enough loungers to all if they want to sit outside of the cabana?

4. I toured the ship yesterday and saw the inside of the LIDO cabanas- what type of seating is inside of the Retreat cabanas?

Any other thoughts or comments are welcome.

1>We rented on board because we were not able to book in advance when I called ship services. Also, the cruise was only a 3 nighter-couldn't rent for a "week."

2. It depends on if they'll be using the loungers inside the cabana. The family one has 4 loungers, 4 chairs with a table. If your "children" would want to have some relief from the sun get the family one.Then again will all 5 of you get the perks if you rent a 2 person? I don't know.

3. If you mean private lounge chairs INSIDE the cabana you may be able to ask if you can bring a 5th one in. Outside the cabanas there are MANY cushioned loungers, couches and tables with chairs. Not even 1/2 were used. Even though the cabanas were fully booked it didn't seem like they were because people would come & go throughout the day.

4. Inside the Retreat cabanas (for 2 people)are either 2 single wooden (teak?) cushioned loungers with 2 extra cushions & a small side table for your snacks. Also you have access to plenty of purple towels.

Hi Bickster, if I had known you were up there, I would have come and visited. But, then, it wouldn't have been a retreat. Glad you enjoyed your time on the Eurodam.

Hi mamaofami:

Haven't been online since the 1st-have a lot to read. I don't know why I didn't mention it. I did mention it to a few people. Sorry:( .

Hi Bicster,

Thanks for all the great info on the Retreat Cabanas. :D

We are on the 11/8 sailing of the Eurodam and purchased a corner Cabana. When I called HAL I was told that I could only pre-book the retreat Cabana for the week , so we did. They also said it would be available until 8-9PM.

I'm so glad that the Cabana is going to be all that we hoped it would be.:)

Until we sail:cool:

You will definitely enjoy them! I was impressed. I believe it was a smart move to rent it way in advance because they are becoming extremely popular. Plus who wants to worry about getting a deck chair. Although we were only in an inside cabana the retreat allowed us the feel like were in one of the suite cabins

I have a feeling "the Retreat" cabanas on Eurodam will be a popular thing especially when she reaches the warm waters of the Caribbean. I'm just hoping that the cabanas alongside the Lido Pool will be removed soon

/\/\ Ditto

Thank you for your review of your Retreat Cabana.

How do you get from the Retreat to the Lido pool? Lookig at photos it looks like there might be stairs between the cabanas that face the pool.

The Retreat is on the Observation Deck -- 2 decks above the Lido Pool.

I see the what you are talking about -- there appears to be stairs in front of the Cabanas on the Observation Deck -- and they lead down to the Panorama Deck. But then looking at the Lido Deck where the pool is -- there aren't any steps there. At least I can;t see them.

Thank you very much for your retreat review. I rented 1 yesterday for the week for our 1/3/09 cruise. One other couple will be joining us. It does seem like a really good deal being as we all like shade and sun and this will solve the problem of getting to the pool area early to find spots. Granted this is an extra cost but with 2 sea days and a not to port intensive cruise for us, it seems to be well worth it. The Eurodam looks to be one terrific ship. Fourth time on HAL.

I can't help but feel these cabanas are tacky at best, and an abomination at worst.

Why would anybody spend good money to shut themselves inside a tent with a double bed so all around can draw their own conclusions as to what is going on inside - rightly or wrongly?

The cruise line must be scraping the bottom of the barrel when they decided on these 'space fillers and income generators'

I have vented my spleen, no i am content and look forward to my cabanaless cruise in 2 weeks

I am still honestly flabbergasted that people continue to post negative comments about the cabanas (including those who aren't even sailing on Eurodam at all!).

Yes, I understand why there was a flap about the Lido cabanas (as they take up space previously available to passengers to sun etc.), but there has been much positive feedback from those who have actually USED them.

The retreat cabanas are even less intrusive to passengers, and again, there has been good feedback from those who have USED them (including the OP).

There are certainly a number of features on Eurodam (which I *will* be sailing on in November) that I could do without frankly - for example, I don't really drink, so I don't feel there need to be such a large number of bars onboard...and I don't go to shows usually, so we could probably do away with the show lounge as well. I don't sail in suites, so I don't use the Neptune Lounge - does that mean I should be irritated at the thought that other passengers can "pay" to do so? Should we get rid of the spa too, since it requires payment as well?

Its not as if HAL has done away with all the free loungers and instead put in place pay cabanas! If there are passengers who are using them and enjoying them (which at this point, I'm sure we can all agree that there are), then what is there for people to get their knickers in a twist about?

Isn't about time to "let it go"?

I am still honestly flabbergasted that people continue to post negative comments about the cabanas (including those who aren't even sailing on Eurodam at all!).

Yes, I understand why there was a flap about the Lido cabanas (as they take up space previously available to passengers to sun etc.), but there has been much positive feedback from those who have actually USED them.

The retreat cabanas are even less intrusive to passengers, and again, there has been good feedback from those who have USED them (including the OP).

There are certainly a number of features on Eurodam (which I *will* be sailing on in November) that I could do without frankly - for example, I don't really drink, so I don't feel there need to be such a large number of bars onboard...and I don't go to shows usually, so we could probably do away with the show lounge as well. I don't sail in suites, so I don't use the Neptune Lounge - does that mean I should be irritated at the thought that other passengers can "pay" to do so? Should we get rid of the spa too, since it requires payment as well?

Its not as if HAL has done away with all the free loungers and instead put in place pay cabanas! If there are passengers who are using them and enjoying them (which at this point, I'm sure we can all agree that there are), then what is there for people to get their knickers in a twist about?

Isn't about time to "let it go"?

Well said, SarahQ.

Archived