NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

I said that, at one point! The Mariner Services lady laughed out-loud and said "lots of luck on that one!"

But ... it's a moot point. Apparently the Line has agreed that there was some kind of cruise and are granting us day-credit: a magical 3-day cruise from Greece/Turkey to Copenhagen. My mental image is of the Eurodam, bow high in the air, water spraying port and starboard and aft like a humungous motor boat ... roaring through the Med, then out into the Atlantic and north through the English channel, then around and into the Baltic ... what a sight that must have been, and a WILD RIDE to boot!

And you don't recall the enormous excitement of that speed-ship ride, do you?

I noticed a couple of months ago that HAL got the description wrong for our Dec 2007 Southern Carib on the Amsterdam ... they called it a Carib/Orinoco cruise. Heck, unless I was in a drug-induced state, I have no recall of the Orinoco, no pics either. They did get the number of days right. Decided not to try to get that corrected, as we might lose days in the confusion and, now perhaps, a star or two in our standing:)

I certainly understand that. It's like many of the traditional touches that have disappeared. Those who never experienced them don't know they're missing anything. To others, they have long been a part of what made HAL unique.

Like the Yum-Yum man chiming for dinnertime and standing at the dining exit dispensing the goodies. Sometimes it happens ... sometimes it doesn't. More than once I've stood there and served. (Maybe I wasn't supposed to, but it was fun, and my fellow passengers seemed to enjoy it.) A "little" thing? Sure. But it always used to be without fail, and a very real differentiation between HAL and other lines.

The list could go on.

HAL runs a business - Me thinks there are a heck of a lot more cruisers in the 7-200 day range than there are in the 700-day plus range for them to keep happy. But I totally agree that they shouldn't drop their "loyal and long-time" pax like a bad habit!

I know that recently that there's been threads on this board about improving the Mariner Program for the cruisers. Well that day has finally arrived and the results are very mixed. There were some who called and wanted change, guess what, we got it.

My grandmother would always tell me to be careful for what I wish for because I just might get it! She also stated that sometimes when you do get the wish,it's not always what you expected.

I can see two sides to this Mariner Program. The one side is that HAL is trying to increase it's appeal to more people,yet the downside is they are also ignoring the cruisers on the high end of sailing days and downgrading the suite cruisers.

To me (I have about 60 days), and to others with fewer sailing days with HAL, the program offers alot of perks that appeals. Some of the perks like wavier of air deviation fees, free photo,discounts on wine packages, the embarkation brunch,etc are things that would make someone who prehaps only sailed with HAL once or looking into HAL consider for sailings.

Face it guys, HAL is going for the next generation of cruisers out there who often don't view HAL in the same terms as other cruiseines. Among my friend,co-workers, and acquaintances many question me on why I love to sail on HAL. To put it bluntly, they consider HAL a line for a certain set of cruisers (a.k.a. the walker,wheelchair crowd) that don't market or welcome them. You also have those cruisers who sailed with other lines and want something more out a cruise and see HAL as the next level in cruising. These are the people who if HAL can get them to sail with them, can be cruisers for the next 30,40,50 years and more.

I know that Sail7Seas stated that it's going to be havoc on all the cruises with the guest having over 200 days. On the shorter 7 day cruiser, the percentage of guest with this number of days will be alot lower than on the longer cruises.

Now it's not all paradise with the other cruiseline either. If you read the boards on the lines, people are upset about things about what that cruise is not doing. Like Geriatic Nurse stated, lines like RCCL now charge you $15 for a premium steak in the main dining room and a $3.95 fee for room service during the graveyard shift.

Now I do agree with HAL trying to tap into more people, it's also didn't do right by those who sailed with HAL all of these years and decades or paid extra for suites.

For a suite cruiser, the only perks that I see them having is only access to the Neptune lounge, breakfast in the Pinnacle grill, and a larger cabin. The other perks that made booking a suite so appealing can be had by a person staying in an inside MM cabin if they have over 200 sailing days. You will always have customers that will book these cabins, but for some, the appeal of the extra perks are really gone. They can be almost duplicated by any high sailing day cruiser booking a non suite cabin.

I do feel that HAL is letting down the high end cruisers with the changes. These are the hard core cruisers. These are the ones who sail the world cruise,the grand voyages and back to back cruisers. These are the people who supported HAL for years and even decades and yet nothing was done to enhance the Mariner program for them. This will cause one or two things from these cruises. They will either turn to other cruiselines to sail or continue to sail with HAL,but just book fewer cruises.

On the longer cruises, the number of people with high number of days increase. Like Sail7seas mention on a reply, this is going to be a mess on these sailings. You are going to have a large number of the check in counters set aside for those that are four star and the wait will be no different than it was prior to the new programs. Trust me, within the next few weeks there's going to be a thread about the long lines for the four star cruisers on the longer cruises.

The same with the laundry. On the shorter sailing, I don't see a problem,but on the longer ones, that's a mess waiting to happen. I see the suite guest and those paying the normal rate still receiving their items back in 48 hours, but the others, I don't think so.

I also think that HAL should keep the tradition of the medallions. I figure that within the next two or three years that I would be at 100 day mark. I enjoy going to the lunch and cheering on my fellow cruisers who reach this mark. I also admire and cheer those who have 300,500,700 and more days.

But then being blunt with some of those bemoaning about the lost of medallions, is this the only reason that you sail HAL just to get the medal? If so, you are missing alot in your cruising experience.

I do think that HAL need to tweek the program for the higher level of cruisers. Yes they are at that level because they enjoy the line,but this really have left a sour taste with many on this board.

I also feel like RevNeal that since solo cruisers pay more to book a cabin, give me double for this!!

I still love to sail on HAL and it will always be my first choice in sailing. While I enjoy the perks of the Mariner program, it's not why I sail with HAL. I sail with them because of the ship size, the ports they sail to, the wonderful cabins,the staff who greet me with warmth,etc. That's why I sail with HAL and even after passing 200 days, will I still sail with them, YES!!

I do look forward to all the upcoming threads about the Mariner program on some of the upcoming cruises. All I can say is get ready for those threads from someone with one or two postings complaining about this. Brace yourself because it's about to become very rocky around here!!

On the mention on how will the staff know who is a one,two,three or four star cruiser, I see HAL doing like Carnival with different color cards.

Yes, I'm disappointed that we won't get our Silver medals, on our next cruise. Maybe because it's a Grand Cruise, they may have some stashed away! :D

What I can't understand is why anyone would want to BUY them on e-bay, when it is (was) GIVEN away for number of days sailed. Then medallions REALLY no longer have any meaning. :mad: (Sorry about the CAPS!)

My mental image is of the Eurodam, bow high in the air, water spraying port and starboard and aft like a humungous motor boat ... roaring through the Med, then out into the Atlantic and north through the English channel, then around and into the Baltic ... what a sight that must have been, and a WILD RIDE to boot!
Greg - teleportation (beam me up, Scotty).

Yes, we also have that magical 3-night Greece/Turkey cruise on our Mariner roster. Too bad my favorite experience on that sailing was the night in Hamburg. The fireworks the city put on for us was far, FAR superior to anything HAL did for us paying passengers. The six of us watching that from the Crow's Nest - and then the dancing later that night. ;) ;) :D

Are you sure you don't want to take on the Nieuw Amsterdam inaugural Greg?? We could use some first-hand commentary! :D

No thank you. Although Brian wore the jacket, I did my bit for the House of Orange. I'll try out the Nieuw Amsterdam when she gets to our side of the Pond ... on a cheepo Caribbean cruise where my 4-Star Mariner Status will stand out. :D

Well thank you very much HAL. We have been looking for our next cruise that would take us to or over the 100 days to get the medallion and now it is NO MORE. So after our next cruise we will now just look to all cruise lines for our next cruise. There is no incentive for us, because will never cruise enough to reach the 200 cruise credit level. Out TA had already recently suggested another cruise line to us and but we said no because we wanted to get the 100 day medallion besides the fact that we very much enjoy cruising on HAL. I am really disappointed, I know thing is a little childish, but so am I. Princess, RCCL, etc. watchout here we come.

Same here Boards...with 90 days HAL to our credit, we were on the verge of booking a l14 day HAL cruise for November and receiving our Copper Medallion with all the pomp and ceremony we've witnessed over the past few years. Childish? Well, so be it. We've already got a drawer full of pins. Will we switch? Unlikely. What few future cruises we take will probably be on HAL. Several years ago, we cruised 14 days on Premier Cruise Lines and they gave all passengers a complimentary robe. Of course, they went out of business.

This is what is posted by HAL:

Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2010(?), one bonus cruise day credit will be granted for each $300 in onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed

We take this to mean the total charges are divided by 300 to arrive at the cruise bonus days. The only limit is that you can't get more bonus days than the number of days you sail. Example: you can't get 8 bonus days on a 7 day cruise.

So, does this mean a couple that spends $300.00 total will each get the extra point each? That is why they are not extending it to 3rd/4th passengers in a stateroom which makes sense. It is really only $150.00per person especially if gratuities are included, so easy to get at least one extra point on a shorter cruise.

What I can't understand is why anyone would want to BUY them on e-bay, when it is (was) GIVEN away for number of days sailed. Then medallions REALLY no longer have any meaning. :mad: (Sorry about the CAPS!)

You are not alone, Pat. To me, it would be absolutely meaningless if I had to purchase it, especially when it was initally given to someone else - but I do understand that having it (regardless of how obtained) is significant to others.

I have my parents medallions. They have sentimental value to me and I will keep them. A few times, I've even packed them along with ours - somehow thinking it made it feel like they were there... :o

So, does this mean a couple that spends $300.00 total will each get the extra point each? That is why they are not extending it to 3rd/4th passengers in a stateroom which makes sense. It is really only $150.00per person especially if gratuities are included, so easy to get at least one extra point on a shorter cruise.

That's how I've interpreted it, and it seems pretty generous, really. I can see the spending really adding up to "days" quite quickly, especially if one is booking shorex, too. I figure our upcoming cruise, we'll "earn" 4 or 5 "days" each.

Greg - teleportation (beam me up, Scotty).

That would take a mighty powerful Transporter! To get all of the Eurodam's tonnage into the confinement beam I'm sure they would have needed about 50 Pattern Enhancers! ;) And THAT reminds me of Scotty, beaming up 2 humpback whales in StarTrek IV! :D

Yes, we also have that magical 3-night Greece/Turkey cruise on our Mariner roster. Too bad my favorite experience on that sailing was the night in Hamburg. The fireworks the city put on for us was far, FAR superior to anything HAL did for us paying passengers. The six of us watching that from the Crow's Nest - and then the dancing later that night. ;) ;) :D

Ah, yes ... that poor poor concrete table in the Northern Lights!!!! :D

What people don't understand about the laundry is that you can already buy it and it is not that expensive. Not the drycleaning but laundry and pressing. Last year it was $69.00 (or something like that) for unlimited laundry in the stateroom plus $30.00 for the pressing on a 10 night Med cruise. We paid $99.00 for the package. I hope it is still being offered as well as the $20.00 (in the Med) all you can stuff in the bag. On some other lines like Celebrity you have to be Elite to get the $20.00 laundry bag offer, where on HAL it has been offered to everyone.

I'm also guessing that the $300 onboard spending for one cruise day credit will be NET ... meaning, based on your end-of-cruise bottom line amount owed HAL, after taking into consideration any OBC you may personally have purchased for yourself.

Wonder if any expenses covered by FCC OBC or CCL OBC or T/A-gifted OBC would count toward cruise day credits.

RevNeal wondered a few pages ago why HAL has ditched the Medallions.

This is of great interest and disappointment to me and I think, in just my own personal opinion, that this is just the latest in a long line of revamping the Captain's and Hotel Manager's interaction with the passengers (except suite functions).

Some may remember the gracious and enjoyable Captain's Receptions: receiving line, dancing, drinks, nibbles, introduction of many officers. Now a drink, a 5 minute here-are-a-few-top-people and pop the sham bottle.

Remember the Mariner's Reception in the Show Lounge with sometimes even an question/answer period? The Medallion Holders Party in the Explorer's Lounge?

All these are being downgraded or done away with, mostly, I would suspect, to the relief of most Captains and HMs.

From a business point of view, it saves time, money, fuss, work for the top Officers. I am not a happy camper with this downgrading or with the downgrading of the high mariners.

On another topic, does anyone have any info about how many Golds and Silvers there are now?

SilvertoGold (not any more)

Under the new Mariner program, I have reached the highest level already. I really have no incentive to keep sailing on Holland America. While I love everything about Holland America, I also love sailing on Celebrity. I have been continuing on HAL because of the silly medallions. I am 88 days from my next level. With the medallions gone, I will probably start going 50/50 between HAL and Celebrity. BTW....Hey HAL, I have all the medallions anyway...Thanks eBay. ;)

I hope that was tongue-in-cheek...

Imagine all the money you could have saved if you just bought the medalions on Ebay and never sailed on a cruise. ;)

Those who board later will not get to partake of the brunch, as they don't get to eat in the nominal lido's embarkation lunch.

We wouldn't get the "Embarkation Brunch," but we would get the "Lido lunch." The whole lido buffet area on all my sailings has always been open for lunch until 4:00pm on Embarkation day. I usually board around 2:00pm, drop my carryons in my cabin, and head to the lido for lunch.

We wouldn't get the "Embarkation Brunch' date='" but we would get the "Lido lunch." The whole lido buffet area on all my sailings has always been open for lunch until 4:00pm on Embarkation day. I usually board around 2:00pm, drop my carryons in my cabin, and head to the lido for lunch.[/quote']

Ah, so. There's something I didn't know ... that the Lido stayed in operation up to the Life Boat Drill. I had always thought that it closed down around 2 pm (after the "Cabins ready" announcement). Since i don't stay in the Lido long after that announcement, I've never noticed.

I would imagine that the Embarkation Brunch in the Main Dining Room would probably operate parallel to the Embarkation Lunch in the Lido ... just dropping the breakfast items after 1 pm.

I see this as a way to get more venues into use to reduce crowding. With the Line increasing the number of people aboard ship, I'm sure the over-crowding of the Lido from 11 am on has gotten out of hand. I can't imagine how packed the Veendam must feel during the Embarkation lunch time, prior to the 1:30 "cabins ready" announcement.

I would like it if they would give some internet minutes for the Mariners like Princess does. Then it miight be worth something to us. We book a suite so the laundry means nothing and the coffee in the Neptune is fine with us. We were looking forward to getting the 100 day medallion but I must say, I would not wear it out.

Eileen

Although I don't mind changes --------

the new program gives us nothing!!

We are well over 500 days -- thus we are -- according to HAL -- maxed out.

We have been on several long cruises -- which we prefer -- where there are a LOT of long time cruisers.

I can see long lines for embarkation ........ there goes my Delux Suite perk.

I can see long lines for tenders .......... there goes my Delux Suite perk.

I can see long lines for disembarkation........... there goes my Delux Suite perk.

Getting my laundry back within 48 hours -- now others get it free -- there goes another suite perk -- and I wonder if we will get it back in 48 hours.

We never get our pictures taken -- waste here -- wonder which photo they take of you will be the freebe??

We don't buy wine packages -- not a perk for us.

Discount at the Explorations's Cafe -- I don't drink coffee -- DH uses the Neptune Lounge -- so -- no perk for us.

Already get Travel & Leasure -- don't need Food & Wine.

Don't use the Mini Bar -- they donn't have our brands.

I have checked some of our past cruises -- wine tasting -- you know that it is NOT going to be the Premium Wine tasting -- and I see that on most of our cruises the regular wine tasting is either right at lunch time or right at the time there is a Suite Lunch -- won't make out on that.

So what about this new Embarkation Brunch -- what time is it?? Will it be the same set menu as the Mariner Brunch? Will we even be able to make it if there are long lines getting onto the ship??

Pinnacle -- doubt if we would be able to get our time and date if we wait to book once on the ship.

Cruise Planners -- rarely get them on the ship -- but when we have gotten a couple -- they were so out dated as HAL had changed so many itineraries.

Mariner Magazine -- haven't seen one in years -- doubt if we will see one unde the new program -- do not like the on line one!!

We don't shop on-line -- can't use that discount.

Sorry if I am ranting -- know that many here have me on the their "ignore" list -- but wanted to express my feelings.

The world is full of choices. You don't HAVE TO sail Holland America anymore. Other lines will be delighted to have you as a guest!!! Consider this the start of a new adventure. Try Celebrity or Crystal or Oceania or Regent -- you'll probably have fun!!

Enjoy whatever you choose!!

AG

I posted this yesterday:

I just called Seatlle (Mariner Society department) and asked some specific questions:

1. If I pre-book ShorEx and PG, does that count towards Onboard spending?

Yes, anything prebooked, except casnio-related counts towards it. I forgot to ask about spa but I did ask: so all pre-cruise spending except casino is included and they said yes (and spa-related is shown on the website).

1a. Specifically, PG pre-booking counts?

Yes

2. Only pax 1 & 2 get the bonuses - can I specifiy (change) who that is (there are 3 on my booking)?

Yes - they did this and sent me a confirmation.

3. Do both pax 1 & 2 get each bonus day or are they divided (e.g., on a 7 day cruise we spend $900 which = 3 bonus days).

Pax 1 & 2 get 3 bonus days each (then I saw this on the web site as well).

Also, the embarcation lunch is for all mariners (1- thru 4-star).

... I'll try out the Nieuw Amsterdam when she gets to our side of the Pond ... on a cheepo Caribbean cruise where my 4-Star Mariner Status will stand out. :D

Oh goody! I never thought I would be fortunate enough to share a ship with you, Rev... but maybe now DH and I will finally be able to buy you a drink! :D

No thank you. Although Brian wore the jacket, I did my bit for the House of Orange. I'll try out the Nieuw Amsterdam when she gets to our side of the Pond ... on a cheepo Caribbean cruise where my 4-Star Mariner Status will stand out. :D

Ah, now where's that sense of adventure???? :D

....Just kidding, I don't blame you after Eurodam....

Maybe we can get Brian to do it!

If HAL isn't counting beyond 200 days anymore, does that mean there will be no new members of the President's Club? :confused:

According to the Marinator's Dept. person I spoke to I get into the Pestilence Club in January during our five months in the ROTTERDAM. The PC just lost one of the most popular members a few weeks ago. I guess I'm going to be Mary Ellen's replacement.

Archived