NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

Oh goody! I never thought I would be fortunate enough to share a ship with you, Rev... but maybe now DH and I will finally be able to buy you a drink! :D

LOL. :) I always enjoy meeting fellow CCers! :D

I don't know which Caribbean cruise it will be, but it will be one of them. The choice will largely be determined by my schedule ... sadly, the Nieuw Amsterdam will be doing Sunday - Sunday 7-day cruises, making it that much harder for me. If they do something that shifts it to a Saturday - Saturday schedule that would be better for me, but they don't inquire with me about such things.

I just spoke with the mariner rep in Seattle. The wine card is NOT included in the discount, only the bottles of wine in the wine package. Water is included in the discount and the comp photo is one of your choice--not whichever they want to give you. mygate

The world is full of choices. You don't HAVE TO sail Holland America anymore. Other lines will be delighted to have you as a guest!!! Consider this the start of a new adventure. Try Celebrity or Crystal or Oceania or Regent -- you'll probably have fun!!

Enjoy whatever you choose!!

AG

We already have over 40 cruises on other lines. A number of years ago we chose HAL because of their larger cabins.

Have a couple more HAL cruises booked -- but don't know where we will go after that.

The hyperbolic "prognostications as to how the laundry will be overrun simply are not realistic. On the Vistas the difference will probably be quite minimal: after all, the only difference will be that some people won't be PAYING to have their laundry done, whereas before they were paying for the service. A FEW will send out more laundry, but not enough more for that to matter." WRONG! IN Europe in her first season, on cruises not much longer than her Caribbean runs, so MANY people wanted the Vista class ship WESTERDAM's laundry to do their clothes that the Hotel Manager had to RAISE the price of the "stuff a bag full of laundry" from $12.00 to $35.00 and they took in SO MUCH laundry that they returned hundreds of bags UNLAUNDERED during the season (source - her then Hotel Manager) because they hadn't the capacity to handle it.

The R and S ships have larger laundry facilities and th passenger laundromats. I have seen crew doing some passenger laundry in the latter.

"I'm only disappointed that those who were looking forward to Medallions on upcoming cruises are not going to get to experience that ceremony. And, additionally, I'm saddened that there's no further recognition beyond 200 days in the new system."

We get "CONGRATULATED" on our number of days - my other half has over 1,700 if any of you care. I tell the kindly congratulators to knock it off. All it takes is too much time and too much money. I never felt the platinum medallion or pestilence club pin were worth anything considering the cost to get to that status with the line but what the hell do I know?

"I cannot fathom why they removed the hardware part of the program ..."MAYBE because too many were leaving their bongers at home because of how much weight they take up in a stingy air baggage allowance? And 200 days brings HAL's program more into line with Cunard's and Princess' programs numbers of days.

I posted this yesterday:

I just called Seatlle (Mariner Society department) and asked some specific questions:

Also, the embarcation lunch is for all mariners (1- thru 4-star).

We tend to take cruises that are longer than 7 days -- and which attract a lot of Mariners.

I wonder how they are going to be able to handle all Mariners ( 1 - 4 stars) in the dining room??

On all of our cruises there have been so many mariners that the Brunch had to be broken down into groups as they could not get everyone into one seating.

My bet is that it won't be on Embarkation day, but rather the first sea day, because many people don't board until well after lunch.

will take place on EMBARKATION day, served by stewards and assistant stewards who will now have even less time to go ashore. Remember that the additional cabins in all four "S" class ships, the ROTTERDAM and the VISTAS mean additional passengers but not one extra dining room chair nor steward has been or will be added except to the Vista's Orchestra platforms thus HAL very cleverly has worked out ways for us paying guests to be well and smartly served without any inconveniences felt on this score.

I wonder how they are going to be able to handle all Mariners ( 1 - 4 stars) in the dining room??

On all of our cruises there have been so many mariners that the Brunch had to be broken down into groups as they could not get everyone into one seating.

We've experience that too, KK. They has starboard guests one day and portside guests another.

It'll be interesting to see how this works. We don't usually even go to the Lido as we tend to embark a bit later - after we've had breakfast - and our cabin is always ready when we arrive, so I doubt we'd be attending lunch in the D/R, but I'm sure many others will.

I'm one of those people who CANNOT relax until I'm on the ship. On it, not near it, not close by, not "able to see it". My vacation does not start till I'm onboard, and can QUIT WORRYING about everything that might go wrong :)

So I'll be pleased to give up my chair at embarkation brunch in the Dining Room if the Lido is less crowded :)

We tend to take cruises that are longer than 7 days -- and which attract a lot of Mariners.

That is assuming that all Mariners will elect to have that 'embarkation brunch' in the main dining room - A number of them will no doubt continue to have lunch in the Lido - Only time will tell what the numbers will be

I am just a small time cruiser so I will never achieve the medallion ranks, but if I did have the money I sure would not be nitpicking about perks. I cant believe that in todays economy, people out of work losing there houses etc. etc. you guys are worried about getting a medallion. Youve got to be kidding. Seems to me a lot of these people should be going on Seaborn or Crystal. They would be more in there element. Leave the mass cruise lines for us poor folks.

I am just a small time cruiser so I will never achieve the medallion ranks, but if I did have the money I sure would not be nitpicking about perks. I cant believe that in todays economy, people out of work losing there houses etc. etc. you guys are worried about getting a medallion. Youve got to be kidding. Seems to me a lot of these people should be going on Seaborn or Crystal. They would be more in there element. Leave the mass cruise lines for us poor folks.

Badda Bing, Badda Boom!;)

If everybody under 200 days can cruise again and again and spend more $$$$ and get to 4 stars, and that everybody over 200 days are not getting anywhere anymore, it seems that the 4 stars holders will keep increasing !!!!

The 200+ 4 stars have no incentives and no goal to reach. Spending adds a day to what. A suite adds a day to what. Adding more days to what.

The lack of recognition between a 201 days four stars and a 1,600 days four stars is what makes the system really stink.

I am 'overcruised' with HAL and I am being told by HAL to move on...:mad:

Upstairs and downstairs, perhaps?

For the Mariner Brunch(es) of the past, I think they used only one level of the MDR, and possibly only a portion of it for each of the couple to several Mariner Brunches on each sailing. Then again, I've been on only one sailiing with the Brunch rather than the champagne reception ... but that was my impression. And, on that sailing, I think HAL hosted at least 3 if not 4 Mariner Brunches.

Keep reading,you'll stumble upon no blue cloth folders,turning a printable luggage tag into an arts & crafts project,no trays in the lido.

The entertainment changes daily

With 305 days, and my Silver Medallion, I am going to take another day or two before I have much to say. My initial reaction is positive; there are several new perks that I like.

At this point in time, I do feel very, very sorry for those Mariners who were close to receiving their next medallion. I now feel very fortunate that I was able to obtain mine last March. (I was the only Silver Medallion receipent that day and there weren't more than a dozen Gold and Silver Mariners aboard the 10 day Noordam cruise.)

I like the idea of an Embarkation Lunch. I agree that it ought to reduce the congestion in the Lido. A concern: what to do with the carry-on luggage one has when one goes to the dining room?

If everybody under 200 days can cruise again and again and spend more $$$$ and get to 4 stars, and that everybody over 200 days are not getting anywhere anymore, it seems that the 4 stars holders will keep increasing !!!!

The 200+ 4 stars have no incentives and no goal to reach. Spending adds a day to what. A suite adds a day to what. Adding more days to what.

The lack of recognition between a 201 days four stars and a 1,600 days four stars is what makes the system really stink.

I am 'overcruised' with HAL and I am being told by HAL to move on...:mad:

I'm pretty low on the Mariner Society foodchain ... but I do not need an incentive to book with HAL nor to spend money on HAL. I buy what I desire and I spend what I want/can afford ... doesn't matter what I may/may not get in return. They don't need to give me anything to bring me back ... except, as others have noted, I expect HAL to offer me a wonderful and quality experience with exceptional food and professional service on each and every trip.

My goal to reach, set by me: when it's winter here in the snowbelt ... to get out of town to where it's warm and sunny.

I'm pretty low on the Mariner Society foodchain ... but I do not need an incentive to book with HAL nor to spend money on HAL. I buy what I desire and I spend what I want/can afford ... doesn't matter what I may/may not get in return. They don't need to give me anything to bring me back ... except, as others have noted, I expect HAL to offer me a wonderful and quality experience with exceptional food and professional service on each and every trip.

My goal to reach, set by me: when it's winter here in the snowbelt ... to get out of town to where it's warm and sunny.

I totally agree with you. It's too bad that so many of the long-time cruisers feel personally wronged by the retooling of the Mariner rewards, especially given that so many in the past have said they come back to HAL for the wonderful onboard experience, and that the "hardware" has nothing to do with it.

I have to think that HAL had NO idea that the medals had SUCH value to some of the cruisers, or they'd have figured out a way of keeping them. IMHO in no way were these changes intended as any kind of slight. Personally, if I ever get to the 4 Star level, I'll be enjoying the HECK out of the perks :)

Also in my conversation with the Mariner lady ... I understand that for calculating the earned cruise day credit based on spending, the cost of goodies bought you by your dear Aunt Matilda also will count. So, she orders you a 6-pack of booze, a couple bottles of wine, a flower arrangement or two ... and her spending counts toward your earned days.

Me,too, I don't understand. I guess if I had 200 days, I might understand, but right now, you get nothing but a cheap pin. I've got two that I haven't any idea where they are. I am sitting here going,HUH, what are they so hacked about? It beats what you've got now.

Having to deal with such issues as E-tickets, luggage tags, lido trays, sewage odors, as you wish dining, dress codes and second hand smoke now one has to deal with no more Mariner Gedunk medals.

What is one to do? :D (Answer:Count your blessings)

Bon Voyage, relax & remain in Good Health!

Bob:)

It is not the medallion per se that disappeared that make me feel wronged. We never took them on a cruise and we were throwing them out as soon as we were receiving the next one. We only have our platinum 'in the box' now.

It is the disappearance of yet another tradition...a sudden downgrading of people like us who have been sailing with them so much and so many times (3 world cruises for ex.). It is the fact that the highest level is so much less that what we have. We feel that there should have been a higher category than 200 days max, at least for a transitory period.

HAL keeps saying that they are a 5 star fleet. I would say now, prove it ! Where are your 5 star holders ?

It has nothing to do with what they give, rather it is about what we feel they took away from us (768 days unaccounted for on our 968 total).

We recommend that HAL establish a 5 star level higher than 200 days.

Why not continuying to give pins (forget about medallions, they were too heavy).

The old Mariner recognition structure was destroyed in one day !

What is in there for us, the 'Ancient Mariners' with a lot of days. Free laundry, discount on wine, etc. nothing more than if we had 200 days.

It is the disappearance of yet another tradition...

happyglobetrotter, I think you've nailed it. I suspect you are absolutely correct -- the upset is more about the traditions disappearing than about the medals/levels.

I've given up maintaining traditions personally. Since all my family died, traditions no longer give me much pleasure; rather, they are a painful reminder of what is gone. So I can't even begin to comprehend this much distress over a tradition going by the wayside.

Archived