NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

It seems that every benefit becomes a dissatisfier. We choose our cruises based on itinerary and cruise ship, not medallions. We've received a medallion, but don't wear it, nor do we run around the ship with those metal mariner buttons. We think the new program is excellent.

It seems that every benefit becomes a dissatisfier. We choose our cruises based on itinerary and cruise ship, not medallions. We've received a medallion, but don't wear it, nor do we run around the ship with those metal mariner buttons. We think the new program is excellent.

Which does not mean it has to be an "either-or". There is no reason that the new program cannot run along with the old medallion program. Those who don't care for the medallions can continue to eschew them. Those that like them could still aspire to the next level.

Peaceful co-existance, so to speak.

Which does not mean it has to be an "either-or". There is no reason that the new program cannot run along with the old medallion program. Those who don't care for the medallions can continue to eschew them. Those that like them could still aspire to the next level.

Peaceful co-existance, so to speak.

Agreed. :) It would make so much more sense.

We also start off as 4-Star Mariners but see things a little differently. The new program has more substantive value for us than anything being offered now. Where are the current incentives to reach higher-mariner days? Nothing much IMHO.

In the new program, we're particularly attracted to:

> subscription to Food & Wine mag

> 50% off wine packages

> 50% off specialty restaurants

> 50% off explorations coffees

> complementary winetasting

> complementary laundry/pressing

These new perks have tangible $$$ value for us & they will continue as long as we're on-board a HAL ship. What's not to like? :D:D

Hear, hear!!

How nice that HAL will finally honor their dedicated cruisers with some tangible benefits. As for the medallions - I will simply say that we will not miss them. Will love these benefits on our upcoming 41 day Volendam cruise. Would only wish they had also given internet minutes.

Mary

Upstairs and downstairs, perhaps?

For the Mariner Brunch(es) of the past, I think they used only one level of the MDR, and possibly only a portion of it for each of the couple to several Mariner Brunches on each sailing. Then again, I've been on only one sailiing with the Brunch rather than the champagne reception ... but that was my impression. And, on that sailing, I think HAL hosted at least 3 if not 4 Mariner Brunches.

The Mariner's Brunch on all of our cruises has always been held on either the upper level or the lower level -- but never both -- have we have done them many times since 2006 when we were on the test run for them on the Amsterdam before they became official.

In order to have both levels open -- all the dining room stewards would have to be on duty -- which just isn't possible on embarkation day as many of them are assigned to wheel chair duty, etc.

The Mariner's Brunch on all of our cruises has always been held on either the upper level or the lower level -- but never both -- have we have done them many times since 2006 when we were on the test run for them on the Amsterdam before they became official.

In order to have both levels open -- all the dining room stewards would have to be on duty -- which just isn't possible on embarkation day as many of them are assigned to wheel chair duty, etc.

No idea, really, how HAL will handle the embarkation day brunch ... but I suppose because people board at different times, it is possible they will be able to use one level and turn the tables at least once. And, yes, as you indicate, it would not make sense to brunch both levels ... too labor intensive at a time when MDR staff might be needed more elsewhere.

The new benefits list this brunch in additin to the now traditional Mariner Brunch hosted on only one level ... with more than one celebration per sailing, depending on qualifying Mariners onboard.

Good evening,

Earlier this evening (east coast time), I emailed the administrative offices of HAL and explained that my husband and I had very close to 700 days —about 698 days—and would be disappointed not to receive platinum medallions/pins on our next HAL voyage. Just a few minutes ago (about an hour after I sent my email), I got a call from Greg, in the administrative offices. He carefully reviewed our cruise history, made some corrections to include cruises that were not on the record, and promised he would have the platinum medallions sent out to us as soon as possible. He spent considerable time with me going over our cruise history. I was impressed with his care and sincerity.

He also said that HAL would continue to host special events for their faithful cruisers who have amassed many days with HAL, such as the luncheon that the President of HAL hosts on the world cruise for those with 700 days and the dinner for those on the world cruise who are members of the President's Club. He assured me that HAL intends to keep recognizing those who are faithful HAL cruisers, although not via the medallions/pins route.

I got the firm impression that frequent cruisers such as many of us on this board are very important to the management at HAL.

So if you are right on the cusp of receiving a medallion/pin, let the Mariner Society offices know.

I told Greg about the concerns of some of us on the CC boards who would have been awarded a higher-level medal on their next cruise. He suggested that folks in that situation should call or write the Mariner Society at HAL and ask that their medals be sent out. He said there are still medals in the store rooms, and HAL would be more than happy to send ones to faithful cruisers.

Good evening,

Earlier this evening (east coast time), I emailed the administrative offices of HAL and explained that my husband and I had very close to 700 days —about 698 days—and would be disappointed not to receive platinum medallions/pins on our next HAL voyage. Just a few minutes ago (about an hour after I sent my email), I got a call from Greg, in the administrative offices. He carefully reviewed our cruise history, made some corrections to include cruises that were not on the record, and promised he would have the platinum medallions sent out to us as soon as possible. He spent considerable time with me going over our cruise history. I was impressed with his care and sincerity.

He also said that HAL would continue to host special events for their faithful cruisers who have amassed many days with HAL, such as the luncheon that the President of HAL hosts on the world cruise for those with 700 days and the dinner for those on the world cruise who are members of the President's Club. He assured me that HAL intends to keep recognizing those who are faithful HAL cruisers, although not via the medallions/pins route.

I got the firm impression that frequent cruisers such as many of us on this board are very important to the management at HAL.

So if you are right on the cusp of receiving a medallion/pin, let the Mariner Society offices know.

I told Greg about the concerns of some of us on the CC boards who would have been awarded a higher-level medal on their next cruise. He suggested that folks in that situation should call or write the Mariner Society at HAL and ask that their medals be sent out. He said there are still medals in the store rooms, and HAL would be more than happy to send ones to faithful cruisers.

Thanks for sharing ... while I am nowhere near a medallion milestone, I am gratified to hear how professionally HAL handled your inquiry.

So I'll be pleased to give up my chair at embarkation brunch in the Dining Room if the Lido is less crowded :)

I don't think the DR will be crowded with Mariners because everybody doesn't arrive on the ship at the same time. Not everybody will want to eat there. The time it is open is limited. Some people won't eat. The whole ship won't be Mariners. Even if 1000 were, I don't think they will all show up. If they do, well it could be a problem!

Or am I confused about the day - is it the day we sail? That's what I thought it meant.

What a quote-mess. I'll try to figure out what I wrote from what you wrote in response.

WRONG! IN Europe in her first season, on cruises not much longer than her Caribbean runs, so MANY people wanted the Vista class ship WESTERDAM's laundry to do their clothes that the Hotel Manager had to RAISE the price of the "stuff a bag full of laundry" from $12.00 to $35.00 and they took in SO MUCH laundry that they returned hundreds of bags UNLAUNDERED during the season (source - her then Hotel Manager) because they hadn't the capacity to handle it.

The European Theater average passenger is a different kettle of fish from the nominal Caribbean average passenger. That being said, we didn't have any problems for 23 days on the Eurodam Inaugurals last year.

We get "CONGRATULATED" on our number of days - my other half has over 1,700 if any of you care. I tell the kindly congratulators to knock it off. All it takes is too much time and too much money. I never felt the platinum medallion or pestilence club pin were worth anything considering the cost to get to that status with the line but what the hell do I know?

You know your opinion and how you feel. Others may have other opinions or feel differently.

I cannot fathom why they removed the hardware part of the program ...

MAYBE because too many were leaving their bongers at home because of how much weight they take up in a stingy air baggage allowance? And 200 days brings HAL's program more into line with Cunard's and Princess' programs numbers of days.

Maybe, but I don't think that's very likely. They're not heavy, nor not that bulky.

I foresee that the Mariners Embarkation Brunch will be nothing more than having the MDR open for star-level Mariners to dine as & when they wish, on a pre-determined fixed brunch menu with champagne. I think it will operate the same as “open seating” at lunch or breakfast, with folks coming & going throughout the meal. Hence I don’t think there will be any issues with room capacity or service. ;);)

I am just a small time cruiser so I will never achieve the medallion ranks, but if I did have the money I sure would not be nitpicking about perks. I cant believe that in todays economy, people out of work losing there houses etc. etc. you guys are worried about getting a medallion. Youve got to be kidding. Seems to me a lot of these people should be going on Seaborn or Crystal. They would be more in there element. Leave the mass cruise lines for us poor folks.

The current problems in the economy are hitting most people, including some of those who post on this board regularly and cruise as often as schedules and money will allow. Personally, employment and unemployment issues nearly made it impossible for my traveling companion to join me on my fall Transatlantic Cruise; if I weren't paying for his cruise, he wouldn't be going and I would be paying a single supplement. And I'm NOT rich.

Also ... in many ways it's these kinds of threads that HELP one cope with real-life problems.

BLUE WHALE,

Glad to hear from you. Long time since we "talked".

I want to Thank you for what you reported from Greg. I see people will listen to you. I on the other hand was strongly put down by several after my "suggestion" that UNPUBLISHED perks did await folks beyond the 200 day mark based on my phone call with HAL. I feel vindicated.

Some people do not seem to understand that we are not hung up on a medallion....

Just imagine you have $968,000 on the stock market and your friends have $203,000 and $90,000

Then the New York Exchange announces, as of today, everybody has $200,000 or the chance to have their savings grow to $200,000

Who would be the happier and who would be the most disappointed.

Some people do not seem to understand that we are not hung up on a medallion....

Just imagine you have $968,000 on the stock market and your friends have $203,000 and $90,000

Then the New York Exchange announces, as of today, everybody has $200,000 or the chance to have their savings grow to $200,000

Who would be the happier and who would be the most disappointed.

Ok...I can kind of see what you are saying...but really...it's not money so not sure how you think that is a fair comparison.

I foresee that the Mariners Embarkation Brunch will be nothing more than having the MDR open for star-level Mariners to dine as & when they wish, on a pre-determined fixed brunch menu with champagne. I think it will operate the same as “open seating” at lunch or breakfast, with folks coming & going throughout the meal. Hence I don’t think there will be any issues with room capacity or service. ;);)

Possibly...but I think it will be open for about an hour like it usually is. I think the throngs of people will still go to the Lido because they like the choice. To me there is plenty of choice in the dining room.

Maybe HAL could have your keycards printed with a picture of the medallion that you have currently earned. That way anytime you hand your card to a crew member, they could acknowledge and thank you for your loyalty. It would also remind you of all the wonderful cruises you have sailed on HAL ships.

Oh great - I would have recieved my 100 day medal with the cruise after Zaandam...

...and all that money I spent onboard and for suites these past years doesn't get me 4-star...

...nor does a dime of spending I might do on Ryndam when I board on the 18th (I wonder if Mom and Dad will at least get their 25-Day pin?)

:cool:

Maybe HAL could have your keycards printed with a picture of the medallion that you have currently earned. That way anytime you hand your card to a crew member, they could acknowledge and thank you for your loyalty. It would also remind you of all the wonderful cruises you have sailed on HAL ships.

I think it is mentioned in the Q&A section, but I do know this to be the case, that the 1-4 Star logos shown on the website will be printed on your room keys. This is how staff will know your status. It is also to print on your Signature Boarding Pass, which will let staff at the pier (BEFORE you get your room key) know that you should get the priority boarding.

Archived