People listing their cruises?

KODA C

definitely! :rolleyes:

(Haven't you been on any other forums? It matters not what forum it is... everyone does this. If you go to a computer forum, they list there hardware specs, if its an audio-video forum, they list their gadgets, if it's a photography forum...well... you get the picture. ungh..bad pun)

I do not consider it bragging. Many posters may look to see which ships you have cruised so and they may have questions that you can answer.

There is a way you can turn those off, so you won't have to look at them. To each their own. :)

Annieeee

Do what I do -- turn off display of "signatures" (which is where this stuff is stored)

Go to the top of the Web page - under the Cruise Critic Banner there is a menu - the first choice is "User CP". Click User CP.

Select "Edit Options" from the menu that will appear on the next screen (a vertical listing to the left-hand side of the screen).

Go to the section entitled "Thread Display Options"

Read through the "Visible Post Elements"

Unclick "Show Signature" -- and then the long listing of previous cruises will no longer clutter up your screen.

You may also want to deselect the "Avitar" and "Pictures" options there to further declutter your board experience. Hope this helps! It certainly has made my time on these boards much more enjoyable.

No offense to anyone, but personally I like to see how many cruises (and what cruise lines) a poster has been on. It tells me the relative amount of experience a person has, which also helps me determine how much credibility the poster has.

For example (to take this out of this board), assume that you went to a board that was about "new cars." Someone asks a question about a specific car, and then you read the replies. If some posters have owned many cars including the one you are asking about vs. another poster who either does not say, or lists that they have only owned one car in their life. Whose reply are you going to feel is most representative and the one you will be confident applying to your situation?

Same thing on this board, a person with a couple cruises under their belt can say how great their experiences were, but with their limited experience I will place more credence on a reply from a person who has been dozens of cruises. This does not mean that the person with two cruises is wrong, they may have had wonderful trips, but I will always assume the poster with the most experience to have the best overall advice.

Not sure if it's a bragging issue for all the posters. Sometimes if they have cruised on a lot of different lines, they may be privy to a lot more info and might be considered an "expert" to a line if they continually cruise one line, many ships. Thus their experiences might be more notable and useful to a novice.

Personally, because the cruiselines have changed soooo much over the last 10 years, I don't feel the info I could add re a line or ship that I was on 20 years ago would be very relevant. Don't really need to know that "janedoe" has been cruising for 25 years and the list of ships she was on then. It's not important to taday's standards.

I shut off the signature info as previously instructed.

I have only been on a few cruises so far but I love reading all the cruises someone else has been on. I have never once thought of it as bragging but more like a right of passage. Anytime I get a reply and they are seasoned cruisers with many cruises listed, I feel confident in the reccomendations/opinions they offer. Honestly I don't know how to post them like that or I would list the cruises I have been on. The other day I was reading a post and thought the persons pic looked familiar. Their cruise list let me know they were on the same cruise as us, a couple years ago. We had met at a CC party so it was a great way to reconnect..;)

Well, I'm one of the people who does list all of my cruises in my signature, but I only do it for fun and it also is a place for me to keep track of when and where I sailed. I keep the list only for cruises though, and don't list my land based vacations like some do.

Well, I'm one of the people who does list all of my cruises in my signature, but I only do it for fun and it also is a place for me to keep track of when and where I sailed. I keep the list only for cruises though, and don't list my land based vacations like some do.

My list would longer than yours. That is why I don't list them. It would take a lot of space. I would rather people be concentrating on the discussion.

No offense to anyone, but personally I like to see how many cruises (and what cruise lines) a poster has been on. It tells me the relative amount of experience a person has, which also helps me determine how much credibility the poster has.

I like the way yours are listed. It does not overwhelm your message text.

We only began cruising about 11 years ago; and, while we have cruised about 25 times during that span, we do not keep records of past cruises beyond a year or so. Essentially, we only maintain records of upcoming cruises, which is now three, and will soon be four. We have enjoyed all of our cruises; and, the only one that mildly displeased us was the HAL "Z" about four or five years ago.

My list would longer than yours. That is why I don't list them. It would take a lot of space. I would rather people be concentrating on the discussion.

Well, nobody has to open them if they're not interested. I occasionally open someones signature, but not very often.

Is there a way to open someones signatures without going to the User CP and clicking the option? I'd like that! :) I normally keep signatures blocked, but opened them recently, when a member said he had a link in his signature that I wanted to see.

Celebrity Cruises not so much for you...:D

Archived