Elevator Incident on Rhapsody of the Seas

Gablin

No, I didn't mean that at all. I meant what I said.

Well run companies with properly trained managers and employees usually provide excellent customer service and excellent products and that is generally the main reason for their continued success.

Companies with poorly trained management and employees generally provide poor customer service and product which leads to unhappy customers.

Decades ago when I was a teenager and while in College I worked in retail and we were trained to provide great customer service at all costs. The customer was always right (even when they were not). This is sorely lacking in many businesses today. RCI is an example of a company once very well run that is slipping in its customer service.

The company that trained me is still one of the largest and most successful companies of its kind and it has been in business for over a hundred years and will survive over other companies in the future because it still believes that the customer is always right (even when they are not).

And by that I mean that placating unhappy customers is part of being a successful business. Happy customers don't complain, they tell their family and friends to do business with companies that provide excellent product and excellent customer service. Unhappy customers who feel slighted, unappreciated and not properly serviced WILL complain and WILL tell family and friends NOT to do business with a company that provided poor product and poor customer service.

The OP's story is an example of poor customer service. If this had been handled well we either would not have heard about it or we would have heard a different version, one where the company came out looking good.

The way this was handled is after all, RCI's loss.

JMO,

Colleen

Correct and to think the OP would have been happy to receive a bottle of Bubbly that sells for under 20 around here.Would have cost Royal 10 bucks

:cj

In general agreement of compensation.....If this happened at an Embassy Suites Hotel they would of comped that nights room plus a certificate for future stay. Knowing my former managers style and me as her personal assistant they I would of wined and dined her as well. We had a no nonsense approach to any guests discomfort. If any employee comped the guest in any fashion, they were never questioned, we had full privilege of making the guest happy and secure their future return.

RC could learn a few things about guest satisifaction....but thats a whole other thread!!! :eek: :D

The last time I stayed at ES, the AC went out (early summer in Texas). The manager's attitude was "tough." I was offered no compensation whatsoever. After I complained about the incident and his demeanor on an online survey corporate sent me, they offered to give me a $25 discount on my next stay. Not the same fervor as you describe.

The last time I stayed at ES, the AC went out (early summer in Texas). The manager's attitude was "tough." I was offered no compensation whatsoever. After I complained about the incident and his demeanor on an online survey corporate sent me, they offered to give me a $25 discount on my next stay. Not the same fervor as you describe.

Not saying this didn't happen, just find it hard to believe. We have stayed at ES in Secaucus twice now and will for all our cruises out of NJ because of our great experiences there.

Not saying this didn't happen, just find it hard to believe. We have stayed at ES in Secaucus twice now and will for all our cruises out of NJ because of our great experiences there.

I found it hard to believe as well.;) I've had good experiences at other ES, which is why I chose that hotel amongst all the others in the area. I won't be going back.

Same here. We try to stay at ES's when we have the kids. Have stayed at them all over the country. We stayed at the ES in Miami prior to our recent Liberty of the Seas cruise (two rooms) and have two rooms at the ES in Ft Lauderdale booked the night before our Oasis sailing. Excellent training in customer service.

One time, we checked into a room fairly late and the heater thermostat was broken. I mean it was HOT!!!! We called down to the desk, they sent up two bellhops who moved all our things into another room and the manager called after we were settled in the new room and asked how we were doing, he apologized for the inconvenience and told us the room charge for the night would be removed.

We never complained or asked for anything. They just did it. This was probably 13-15 years ago. We have given ES and Hilton products in general a great deal of business over the years and this was one of the reasons why. This is an example of a well run company that puts customer service and customer satisfaction at the top of their list.

JMO,

Colleen

Gosh, I am not saying I don't believe you, but ES has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You should of been comped or at least offered a future stay certificate.

We stayed at ES North at LAX, the room next to us had a party....a LOUD party and lots of guests complained, finally security and the night MOD threw them out, we were comped the night and a sincere apology by the morning staff!

ES (Hilton brand hotel) has a great policy!

Gosh, I am not saying I don't believe you, but ES has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You should of been comped or at least offered a future stay certificate.

We stayed at ES North at LAX, the room next to us had a party....a LOUD party and lots of guests complained, finally security and the night MOD threw them out, we were comped the night and a sincere apology by the morning staff!

ES (Hilton brand hotel) has a great policy!

Yes, I should have. I'm not one to ask for compensation, but no AC is comp-worthy in my opinion. When I was checking out, the manager told me it got fixed eventually, so they had done everything they could do. It did come back on about 3 am or so.

This particular ES had been a different hotel in the past as opposed to being built as an ES. Nothing about it was as nice as the other ones I have stayed at.

My apologies to the OP. I just realized I have hijacked the thread.

OP, I agree that your situation warranted some gesture of concern by RCI. In your place, I would have most appreciated a phone call or apology. Not the end of the world if it didn't happen, but I would have found that kind of gesture to be classy and I would have remembered that the next time I booked a cruise.

Yes, I should have. I'm not one to ask for compensation, but no AC is comp-worthy in my opinion. When I was checking out, the manager told me it got fixed eventually, so they had done everything they could do. It did come back on about 3 am or so.

This particular ES had been a different hotel in the past as opposed to being built as an ES. Nothing about it was as nice as the other ones I have stayed at.

Sorry you had that experience, it shouldn't matter is it was an original ES or a hotel converted to an ES, I have woked both and the policy is the same world wide.

My apologies to the OP. I just realized I have hijacked the thread.

OP, I agree that your situation warranted some gesture of concern by RCI. In your place, I would have most appreciated a phone call or apology. Not the end of the world if it didn't happen, but I would have found that kind of gesture to be classy and I would have remembered that the next time I booked a cruise.

I don't think you have hijacked this thread - more like added to it with your experiences. I think the OP will agree.:)

Sorry you had that experience, it shouldn't matter is it was an original ES or a hotel converted to an ES, I have woked both and the policy is the same world wide.

You are right.All Hilton brands have a 100% satisfaction Policy.That is why I was surprised that a High End Resort has such an hard nose policy.The average person spends a ton in a lifetime on vacations and it seems penny foolish not to go a little extra to make a customer happy and increase your odds of getting more than your share of those dollars

Op,

I think you presented your experience very well. I feel that someone on the ship in a management position should have contacted you later in the day to be sure all was well and apologize for your inconvenience.

I do not however, feel that an OBC or wine or anything should have been given to you. I know I wouldn't have expected anything more than a follow up call or visit from someone. I'd have been scared to death though.

Some of you people are downright sickening. I read these boards often and the elitist attitude is becoming just too much from the veteran posters. People are supposed to feel comfortable to post here whether you agree with their opinions or not. But I believe half of you people are just miserable and you want to spread your venom onto any available prey. Sadly, this only happens regularly on the royal side of cruise critic. You guy make the line you love look bad.

To the OP, you were too quiet. You darn well deserved to be compensated for your inconvience(dont mind the royal apologists). Its a lack of customer service. Please believe if this happened to you then this will happen to other customers too. You dont spend thousands of dollars to be scared sh!tless on an elevator. You should call Royal immediately and tell them about that experience. In this economy, no company can afford to lose customers and this is the very reason why you should of been compensated. Royal needs you not vice versa. Dont be fooled by the veteran trolls!

My guess is that the ship's engineering and mechanics department is more oriented to fixing things than guest relations and compensation. Several times, I've gone back to the cabin at 3:00 in the morning and the toilet doesn't work. Call into service, mechanic shows up, fixes the problem out in the hall, and leaves. I guess I should complain more, or at least start to complain about how I was inconvenienced. :rolleyes: How about the bozo before me who locks the safe? I'm inconvenienced having to call the desk and wait for someone to open it.

I just chalk it up to ship happens on a floating hotel.

I find that totally annoying also. First I can't lock up my stuff and then I have to wait around in the cabin waiting for someone to show up when there are much better things that I'd rather be doing!

Tell them you'll write a negative review on Trip Advisor. Once I stayed at a La Quinta where they could not make keys, and we had to be let into our room with a pass key. And, of course, had to stay in it, or leave the door open when went out to get ice or anything. They didn't offer much, but I said I would be writing a negative review in Trip Advisor about the experience. Then they comped the stay.

Being able to make a key, or having A/C in Texas, is basic lodging competency. If a property isn't able to meet this very minimal expectation, there should be compensation.

I don't know about this poster but I've been stuck in an elevator for almost two hours in a HOTEL and, no, not one I was working in. When I got out they made sure I was safe, said they were "so sorry" and we all went about our business. I didn't ask for, nor expect any freebies.

Two Hours and you were not annoyed?Thank the Lord there wasn't a fire.Around here elevators are suppose to return to the first floor and the doors are suppose to open during and emergency and I would say that after a few minutes an on the ball employee should be able to place the elevator in that emergency mode if it did not do it on its own.Its the hotels is responsible to ensure thier employees make this happen.I would expect to be comp'd for the day if a negligent employee did not make this happen.If the employee was not able to make this happen due to a malfunction the hotel is responsible for their malfunctioning equipment

Tell them you'll write a negative review on Trip Advisor. Once I stayed at a La Quinta where they could not make keys, and we had to be let into our room with a pass key. And, of course, had to stay in it, or leave the door open when went out to get ice or anything. They didn't offer much, but I said I would be writing a negative review in Trip Advisor about the experience. Then they comped the stay.

Being able to make a key, or having A/C in Texas, is basic lodging competency. If a property isn't able to meet this very minimal expectation, there should be compensation.

Sounds like the desk clerk was too lazy to fill out the form to give you your rightful compensation but once you put your foot down he/she had no choice

Common place?:D.How many times have you been stuck in an elevator on a cruise ship or hotel.My guess is the answer for the overwhelming majority is ZERO

I didn't mean the elevator....:confused:....but expecting compensation for every inconvenience. It went right over your head. And you are wrong about hotels. We stayed in one in northern Florida and the air was out in our room. All they did was move us to another.....no credit. We were please that they solved our problem...why would we insist on credit? We only insisted on service...which they provided.

The OP's story is an example of poor customer service. If this had been handled well we either would not have heard about it or we would have heard a different version, one where the company came out looking good.

The way this was handled is after all, RCI's loss.

JMO,

Colleen

Unfortunately, I do have to agree with you on the point you are making. Though I would say that most of the time I have found RCI's customer service to be excellent, when it falls short it tends to stick with you. On one of our sailings on Adventure I went to customer service to enquire as to why one of the lounges was charging tax on drinks while the ship was at sea. The woman was quite dismissive of my question and told me they were supposed to charge tax. When I asked here why the other lounges on the ship were not charging tax she told me that they should be. Then when I asked her what government this tax money was being turned over to she looked at me like I had two heads.

This did not involve enough money on my part to make any more of a deal over it. But she should have shown a bit more interest in something that RCI was clearly in the wrong about. I also suspect RCI pocketing money that is being collected as a tax might have been illegal. Someone else might have decided to carry the issue further.

My point being that if she had a better attitude toward the issue I presented I would have remembered this in an entirely different way. But here I sit writing about this clearly remembered negative experience. I didn't even want a refund of the "tax" I paid although it would have been a very nice gesture. I just wanted an explanation and the problem fixed. I got no explanation and don't know if the problem was fixed as I bought no more drinks in that lounge.

Very well written.

... and then the greed factor entered into the story.

I think that "customer service" is something that should be expected in a service industry as intensive as the cruise business. I dont believe that "greed" plays into a situation where your safety is compromised in any way. It seems that unless you kick and scream and throw yourself on the floor of the main lobby these days, there is little in the way of recognition of a problem... A note placed on your turned down bed is not a terribly expensive item...and the good will it would generate for the furture would certainly pay for the time it took to compose.:)

Sadly, this only happens regularly on the royal side of cruise critic.

IMO you are sadly mistaken. I have been spoken to with much hostility on the Carni board for simply asking a question about ships when thinking about booking Conquest. Many posters you just denigrated here think expecting freebies and gifts for things like the elevator glich after having been rescued, being asked if she was O.K. and a favorable outcome is bit much. But it's no surprise that in this day of torte abuse and climate of SUE for any little thing, that you would feel that attitude is acceptable. As I said repeatedly, I would've thought a note or call would've been a nice touch, but really, people, be reasonable. I would never have thought to complain about it here. There have been countless little things that have gone wrong, and once a very large disappointment for me with RCCL, but they have always gone out of their way to make me comfortable and appreciated without my expecting liquor or OBC for it.

I didn't mean the elevator....:confused:....but expecting compensation for every inconvenience. It went right over your head. And you are wrong about hotels. We stayed in one in northern Florida and the air was out in our room. All they did was move us to another.....no credit. We were please that they solved our problem...why would we insist on credit? We only insisted on service...which they provided.

Didn't go over my head.The Op was stuck on an elevator.And as others have pointed out many Hotels, ie Hilton Brands ,have 100% satisfaction policys.You were a hundred percent satisfied but if they would have moved you to a lesser room than what you reserved you would not have been and my guess is that you would want to be compensated in some way.The compensation the OP expected was small to say the least

IMO you are sadly mistaken. I have been spoken to with much hostility on the Carni board for simply asking a question about ships when thinking about booking Conquest. Many posters you just denigrated here think expecting freebies and gifts for things like the elevator glich after having been rescued, being asked if she was O.K. and a favorable outcome is bit much. But it's no surprise that in this day of torte abuse and climate of SUE for any little thing, that you would feel that attitude is acceptable. As I said repeatedly, I would've thought a note or call would've been a nice touch, but really, people, be reasonable. I would never have thought to complain about it here. There have been countless little things that have gone wrong, and once a very large disappointment for me with RCCL, but they have always gone out of their way to make me comfortable and appreciated without my expecting liquor or OBC for it.
THIS is "torte abuse".

ZoeCakeSmash225copy.jpg

We were on the last day of our cruise once and I had the suitcases all opened and 1/2 way packed with clothes, etc., everywhere and decided to make a quick walk around the ship to take last pictures. My husband stayed in the cabin. Knock-knock, he opens the cabin door to see two men in white suits and masks with canisters, coming in to spray our entire cabin. No, no, says husband. Yes, yes, they said, we were dispatched here as someone has been sick in this cabin. No, no, says husband. They say they must spray everything - walls, ceiling, furniture -- everything. My husband says all our belongings are out in the open -- no, no! And he adds no one has been sick. He finally gets them to wait while he calls customer relations, who check and find they were dispatched to the wrong cabin. Whew...they leave. I return from my picture taking event to him saying -- you won't believe what just happened. We didn't get anything but (like one poster said) we had a fun story to end our cruise.

Sailing again next Sunday! Always an adventure. And...the good news was we didn't get sprayed. We be happy icon10.gif

Archived