"Camping out" all day in the Windjammer

We recently returned from a 14 day Alaska cruise on the Serenade of the

Seas. On a regular basis when we went to either breakfast or lunch it was

difficult to find a table to sit at because of individuals who "camped out" with their books and tote bags at tables. When we would go to breakfast we would see one or two individuals with their reading materials at a table

for four. When we went to lunch the same one or two people would still

be at the same table. In order to have a place to eat, we went outside.

On an Alaska cruise this could be chilly at times. Announcements were

made by RCCL in the Windjammer to leave one's table after one finished

eating since others needed places to sit. This had no effort on these individuals.

This was a matter of discussion by others on our cruise. We continually

heard comments to the effect that the individuals who were "camping

out" all day were people who had inside cabins. This is extremely unfair

to other people on the cruise who are looking for seats in the dining room.

on same cruise as you apollobeach, experienced the same problem.

every single day.

yes, RCCL made "canned" announcement quite frequently - I know as we were in aft cabin deck 10 and heard every announcement!

these people never seemed to find Viking Crown lounge, solarium area, etc which were empty during the day.

several times we had to take our food to the cabin to eat. whatta hassle !

difficult to find a table to sit at because of individuals who "camped out" with their books and tote bags at tables. When we would go to breakfast we would see one or two individuals with their reading materials at a table

I would have no problem asking if the three extra seats were open and sitting down and enjoying my meal. I have no problem sharing space. Perhaps even they'd get the hint that the Windjammer is intended for turn-over, not camping out?

eating since others needed places to sit. This had no effort on these individuals.

Now you have got to admit, that it's a really sad set of individuals who just sit in the WindJammer all day. Come on people, it's not just about stuffing yourself silly with food. The ship does have other facilities.

Can't think why anyone would want to spend so much time in the WindJammer..

Do remember on Indy last year it was often difficult to get a seat in WindJammer. On other cruises, if there were a few seats free, asked politely if you could join, and it's all okay, and can have a nice chat with another set of passengers. Did this on Indy, and it was like you were trying to invade them!!

ScrozUK

I would have no problem asking if the three extra seats were open and sitting down and enjoying my meal. I have no problem sharing space. Perhaps even they'd get the hint that the Windjammer is intended for turn-over, not camping out?

In two situations, and it was not us, we saw two individuals sitting by the window at a six seat table. First a couple asked if they could join them,

they were told no and not nicely. On the second, a couple asked if they

would mind if they sat at the two end seats and were told they did. In both

cases, the people asking for places to sit had trays of food and were trying to find a place to eat. The two individuals sitting at the windows at the six seat table were "camped out" with their books/newspapers.

In two situations, and it was not us, we saw two individuals sitting by the window at a six seat table. First a couple asked if they could join them,

they were told no and not nicely.

The two individuals sitting at the windows at the six seat table were "camped out" with their books/newspapers.

Ha! If I encountered that situation and there were truly no available seats, I wouldn't have asked. I would have just said, "sorry to bother you but there are no available seats except these" and would have sat right down.

Ha! If I encountered that situation and there were truly no available seats, I wouldn't have asked. I would have just said, "sorry to bother you but there are no available seats except these" and would have sat right down.

You are exactly right, and that is what we have done when there were no other seats available. These "table hogs" do not own those tables, and I have no compunction putting my tray down at the other end of the table and enjoy my meal. We are always polite, offer the appropriate greeting, and that is that. Why someone would want to hang out all day in the WJ is beyond me. There are so many nicer public spaces folks can go to relax and watch the world go by!

I agree that the Windjammer is not the place to be camping out. However, how does anyone know that these "campers" had inside cabins? Do those people look differently from the people staying in suites? Sounds to me like some people making a big assumption.

Now you have got to admit, that it's a really sad set of individuals who just sit in the WindJammer all day.

That's the truth! I mean, seriously, they really need to expand their horizons and get out a little more, lol. I would have said something to one of the wait staff or someone in charge to ask them to move if they were finished. People are so rude it's disgusting anymore.

Same here! How anyone can sit there and read while others are walking around with their trays is beyond me.

I also would have just smiled and sat at the other end of the table without acknowledging them too much. I'm super friendly and pretty smiley so if you were to yell at me it's like taking candy froma baby!:p But if someone said 'I'm sitting here' or something I would have replied that there aren't any other seats and that I don't believe remaining at a table after eating is allowed. Then I would have smiled sweetly and eaten my breakfast/lunch/cookie..:)

On our AOS cruise, one of the GS perks was to be able to take your WJ food into Portofino to eat. We thought this would be too much of a hassle to carry our food down the hall and around the corner UNTIL we had trouble finding a seat in the Windjammer. We found the same problem with passengers "camping out". We ended up eating many times for breakfast and lunch in Portofino. Great view, quiet and we had service for anything we desired. :) The coffee was also better!

I'm thinking this is pretty close to the pool chair hogs. I'm actually surprized I have not read a thread on this befor.

No matter what room they had-I can see someone parking in the WJ-staying warm-grabbing a bite to eat whenever-staring at the scenery-which is one of the main appeals to an Alaskan cruise. Not a care in the world that it really is a dining area.

If sailing on AOS-that perk is a great option but I don't belive that is an option on the Serenade as the specialty restaurants are a few decks down. Is Seaview cafe open for breakfast.?

It's easy to rectify the situation on a message board. Don't think people like that would take kindly at all to anyone invading their space. :rolleyes: I'm sure even if anyone sat down-they'd have a tizzy saying-someone is sitting here or all hell would break loose if you told them they were done eating and is policy to leave. :eek:

We ate at the tables on the pool deck on our last cruise. We didn't even bother to look inside. BUt a Caribbean cruise is much different weather than an Alaskan cruise.

I think a better question to ask of a table hog is not "Can I sit Here", but "Is this seat taken?" I think most of the time people might be programed to answer no to the first question, but would hesitate to lie and say yes to the second.

I'm thinking this is pretty close to the pool chair hogs. I'm actually surprized I have not read a thread on this befor.

No matter what room they had-I can see someone parking in the WJ-staying warm-grabbing a bite to eat whenever-staring at the scenery-which is one of the main appeals to an Alaskan cruise. Not a care in the world that it really is a dining area.

If sailing on AOS-that perk is a great option but I don't belive that is an option on the Serenade as the specialty restaurants are a few decks down. Is Seaview cafe open for breakfast.?

It's easy to rectify the situation on a message board. Don't think people like that would take kindly at all to anyone invading their space. :rolleyes: I'm sure even if anyone sat down-they'd have a tizzy saying-someone is sitting here or all hell would break loose if you told them they were done eating and is policy to leave. :eek:

Yeah- I'm sure they wouldn't be happy. I was at a movie theatre with a friend and there were no seats for two. Well, these two guys were sitting with a 'buffer' seat in between them. I asked if we could take that seat so we can sit together and he just kind of mumbled (teenager:rolleyes:) so I said "okay, we'll just sit on either side"! We then shared popcorn over him until he finally said 'I'll switch with you':p

We have always let folks sit down if we have a larger-than-we-need table in the WJ. Its always just myself and my wife and we have ate with others several times. Lets face it, there will likely be campers on every sailing. The sad part is the same as deck chair issue is that people arrive at the crack of dawn to get the best deck chair and in turn get the best "window" seat in the WJ and then try and claim it for the entire day/evening whatever. Its sad to see people so obsessed with having a certain chair or seat for an entire day when if they were realistic they would understand that a cruise ship is a community and there are people coming and going all the time and they need to share tables and chairs just like everyone else.

That's just weird. If I had an inside cabin and wanted a warm spot indoors where I could sit for an extended period of time and watch the scenery, I would not choose the Windjammer. There are so many other, plusher places to hog a window seat. Makes no sense.

Yeah- I'm sure they wouldn't be happy. I was at a movie theatre with a friend and there were no seats for two. Well, these two guys were sitting with a 'buffer' seat in between them. I asked if we could take that seat so we can sit together and he just kind of mumbled (teenager:rolleyes:) so I said "okay, we'll just sit on either side"! We then shared popcorn over him until he finally said 'I'll switch with you':p

Now there ya go!!! LOL

I was thinking along the lines-don't worry-we eat fast. We'll woof this down befor your guests arrive!!!:D

Why suffer with grabbing your food and then wandering around WJ, when there is a dining room that makes life that much easier at least for breakfast. Go in, sit down, order and there is no muss, no fuss.

Might take a tad longer but as more and more people are suggesting, wandering around WJ with less than hot food isn't the time savings anymore

Along those same lines, How about the folks...groups of 4,6,8.....who show up the minute lunch is being served grab a large table proceed to eat, then start the daily card game. I agree this is a great place for an afternoon card game, but how about waiting until lunch is over?

Face it folks, people that do this do not care about you. This is their vacation and the world revolves around them. Does not matter that they are creating problems for others by breaking any rules. The rules apply to you and not to them.

So if you must intrude, please do so with as much consideration as they have shown you. Enjoy your meal then smile and say thank you as you leave. The upside is that you may be able to read on these boards how their cruise was ruined by you sitting at their table.

There were a few of these people on our cruise.

Every day these same rude, table hogging clods sat there with a book, newspaper or whatever and not a plate of food in site, just a drink.

However on the Radiance, the WJ manager is the Captains wife, a no nonsense get things done woman who takes charge and she would find you a table, I did see her seat a single passenger at one of the tables occupied by the person with just a book.

We will sit where we find empty chairs! If folks are already there, I say, "I'm sure you won't mind if I sit here"...and only once has someone "minded"--they told me more of their party was coming....I told them when their party got there, I'd move! Guess what---THEY moved! Too bad! (and I never did see more people join them!!!)

Archived