Picked for Special Customs Screening

PaulMCO

This is a scenario that has never happened to me before. I travel for a living and never have been singled out for "special attention" by the CBP.

On our last cruise on the EOS when I received my Customs form at the end of the cruise there was a whole punched on it. On disembarking the RCCI representative checked my name off a list and said you need to go to a special customs line. How did we get specially selected fro this unique honor??

The only thing I can figure was the Duty Free shop on board where we made a large purchase but still under our customs allowance.

The thing that annoys me is that RCCI is now a policemen! :mad:

No it has to be RCCI playing policeman and it was not random. It is not CBP -- since I do have a special "trusted traveler" in my profile.

And this is not security -- it is disembarking. It was obvious from the person in front of me that they were looking for undeclared merchandise and gave them a full baggage search.

And yes -- the item was fully declared on my customs form.

Same thing happened to us on a cruise/air package through RCI, but our's was the air part. On the way back from Barcelona to New York, we were delayed 2 hours while they worked on an engine with us sitting on the plane (that makes you feel good). When we landed in New York, our flight to Tampa was already gone. We had no help from anyone at RCI and this was the first trip I have ever taken on an airplane. They switched us from American Airlines to Delta, waited for 2 hours in the Delta line, plane leaves in an hour and fifteen minutes, and all 8 people in our party get marked for search. We spend the next hour having all our bags searched along with us, then run as fast as we can and barely make it on the plane.

I didn't like anything about the way RCI handled our airfare for the whole trip and would book it myself next time.

Same thing happened to us on a cruise/air package through RCI, but our's was the air part. On the way back from Barcelona to New York, we were delayed 2 hours while they worked on an engine with us sitting on the plane (that makes you feel good). When we landed in New York, our flight to Tampa was already gone. We had no help from anyone at RCI and this was the first trip I have ever taken on an airplane. They switched us from American Airlines to Delta, waited for 2 hours in the Delta line, plane leaves in an hour and fifteen minutes, and all 8 people in our party get marked for search. We spend the next hour having all our bags searched along with us, then run as fast as we can and barely make it on the plane.

I didn't like anything about the way RCI handled our airfare for the whole trip and would book it myself next time.

That was not RCCL - I gave up my seat once on a US Air flight and they rebooked me through Delta on a flight leaving an hour later. Because I had to leave post security to go to the delta area I had to go through the security screening - with the full pat down, wanding etc. Fortunately it was a weekend trip and I had no check through luggage. No one at security would tell me why I was chosen to be the "special" one, I had to find out from the Delta desk.

All part of the post 911 country we live in.

No it has to be RCCI playing policeman and it was not random. It is not CBP -- since I do have a special "trusted traveler" in my profile.

And this is not security -- it is disembarking. It was obvious from the person in front of me that they were looking for undeclared merchandise and gave them a full baggage search.

And yes -- the item was fully declared on my customs form.

Did you ever consider that perhaps Customs provides Royal Caribbean (and other ships) with forms that are already pre-stamped and they are randomly handed out?

And how would your special "trusted traveler" info be passed to Royal Caribbean? JMHO, but I think you're making too much of this.

I think it's random too. I was traveling with two kids (8 and 12) and my mother a few years ago. As we were disembarking in Miami one of the security people marked a red "S" on my customs form and I was single out for a luggage search. I don't think I looked suspicious and had bought very little. Just T shirts and trinkets. I think they just search every so many people.

As I alluded to WE purchased a high priced item on board.

Here goes - I don't think RCCL has anything to gain by harassing passengers who spend large amounts of money on their ships. So if they did "turn you in" they were probably required to do so.

With luck other posters will chime in with their experiences in purchasing "high priced" items on board and if it is just a coincidence you were selected for the special customs check or if everyone who spent a certain amount or more onboard.

I think it's random too. I was traveling with two kids (8 and 12) and my mother a few years ago. As we were disembarking in Miami one of the security people marked a red "S" on my customs form and I was single out for a luggage search. I don't think I looked suspicious and had bought very little. Just T shirts and trinkets. I think they just search every so many people.

I had one of those "S" on my boarding pass on a flight out of Tampa a few years ago. Between that and running late - I missed my flight. :rolleyes:

Paul, the same thing happened to us several years ago on the HAL ship. We purchased a piece of Jewelry. I believe the cruiseline has to report purchases over a certain amount occurring on their ships to customs. I think it's all cruiselines and they are required to do this. That's what we were told anyway. You were not random.

It is random, it has nothing to do with RCI. It is pure luck of the draw.

Two of the things that can catch the eye of customs...Nothing on the declaration list and high value items on the list. There are a bunch of other things, but thee two apply to your situation.

Yup, I merely asked a family member....who happens to be one of those guys you smile at when you return from your cruise.

A few things here...(I work with federal level police officers. I don't claim to know everything but I can tell you what likely happened)

Those forms are sent out in big boxes with tens of thousands of forms in them. They are likely pre stamped or hole-punched or however they choose to mark it beforehand. RCI just hands them out.

While you might say that RCI "cherry picks" those who get these forms, they most likely don't. Think of it this way: Who hands those forms out? Probably the room steward. How many of these forms do they need to hand out? Probably several hundred per cruise. Are they going to take the time to research each passenger's purchases and determine who gets what form? Not likely at all.

As for the "trusted traveler" status, while you may think that makes you immune from searches, it does not. Things like that very rarely carry over to all types of travel. You may not get pegged for screening by TSA in the airports because their computer system doesn't pop your name, but you very well may be asked to be screened by CBP at ports. (If you know anything about the government, you know that agencies rarely talk to each other. LOL.)

Also, even if you are a trusted traveller, by law they can still search you at any time if they suspect anything. (Or if their post orders tell them to search every 5th or 6th person or randomly or what have you).

I wouldn't think of this as a personal search. You probably fell "victim" to a numbers game. Disembarkation may not be security screening, but it is entering the country again after being away. It's Customs, just like the airport, and they have every right to screen whomever they want to, no matter the inconvenience.

Yeah, it blows when you are trying to just get home, but it's the way we live now. Sad, but necessary I guess.

It's radom. I won the bingo jackpot on our last cruise and had almost $8,000 in cash. We got of the ship, picked bags and cleared customs. No extra check or anything. Also, I bought the DW a nice pice of bling on the ship. Custom just picks out folks to check.

That was not RCCL - I gave up my seat once on a US Air flight and they rebooked me through Delta on a flight leaving an hour later. Because I had to leave post security to go to the delta area I had to go through the security screening - with the full pat down, wanding etc. Fortunately it was a weekend trip and I had no check through luggage. No one at security would tell me why I was chosen to be the "special" one, I had to find out from the Delta desk.

All part of the post 911 country we live in.

I realize RCL had nothing to do with the search. My disappoint with RCL Airfare was the lack of direction when we missed our flight and how close they cut the times for arrival at Barcelona to the ship leaving (If your flight would have been delayed on the way over like it was on the way back, we probably would not have made the ship on time).

It is random, it has nothing to do with RCI. It is pure luck of the draw.

Two of the things that can catch the eye of customs...Nothing on the declaration list and high value items on the list. There are a bunch of other things, but thee two apply to your situation.

Yup, I merely asked a family member....who happens to be one of those guys you smile at when you return from your cruise.

I wish they would teach the guys at Boston's Logan airport to smile at folks at the end of their flights. When I got back from London the guy couldn't have been any more of a crank.:rolleyes: He made it seem like people were some sort of a criminal for ever leaving the country in the first place. Just what someone needs after being cramped in an airplane for 6 hours crossing the Atlantic. And what a great first impression it must be for someone coming over to visit America. Could you ask your family member whay they do that?;)

I assure you that it was not RCI. This is something I know quite a bit about because I work for DHS. CBP has the manifest from the day the cruise starts. There could have been any number of reasons you were picked out. Your name could be strikingly similar to someone who recently popped up on their lookout lists, or someone who is flagged for secondary inspection, or your name could be very similar to someone who recently had a Federal, State, or local warrant issued to them, or you could be flagged for frequent border crossings, or it could just be very random.

Whatever the case, I promise you it was not the cruise line.

I was at breakfast the last day when I heard my name called over the PA - I had to bring my customs form to the conference ctr.

I had purchased our wedding photos on board, as well as a waterproof camera; total cost around $1500 - all in my name.

My new wife and 2 daughters were also traveling with me (of course; it being our wedding/honeymoon), so when I saw the Customs officer there was no duty due. (and he initialed the form)

After departing the ship, we were not singled out any more - although the customs officer at the exit did ask if we purchased any alchohol - after a quick "yes; 1 bottle", we were free to go.

Aloha,

John

I wish they would teach the guys at Boston's Logan airport to smile at folks at the end of their flights. When I got back from London the guy couldn't have been any more of a crank.:rolleyes: He made it seem like people were some sort of a criminal for ever leaving the country in the first place. Just what someone needs after being cramped in an airplane for 6 hours crossing the Atlantic. And what a great first impression it must be for someone coming over to visit America. Could you ask your family member whay they do that?;)

Probably just a function of where he lives now...:D In Winnepeg, the guy I saw there several times was always in a great mood and super friendly. Houston usually good. Newark just blah... Vancouver...he pulled my name up and asked a lot of questions. I suspect someone with same name had kidnapped their child and was on the wanted list...

This is a scenario that has never happened to me before. I travel for a living and never have been singled out for "special attention" by the CBP.

On our last cruise on the EOS when I received my Customs form at the end of the cruise there was a whole punched on it. On disembarking the RCCI representative checked my name off a list and said you need to go to a special customs line. How did we get specially selected fro this unique honor??

The only thing I can figure was the Duty Free shop on board where we made a large purchase but still under our customs allowance.

RCCL has nothing to do with the process. Customs officials decide when these inspections take place.....and tell RCCL how to manage it.

Many times, it's done by random number; for instance - every 100th passenger or something like that.

Customs can also make selection by shipboard account numbers....say...those with a certain range of numbers.

This is the same at any gateway airport for returning/arriving international passengers.... Random searches are commong.

Nobody is selecting you specifically for any reason and they are not picking on you.

Your number just came up.

I have always thought that maybe the custom's people (or request RC to have available) the records of sales in the gift shops and question those people. Those may be some of the names they call the last day that we always thought were dead beats on their ship bill. If you are "close", they probably figure you may have made other purchases on shore that will put you over.

I make sure that I never have on "record" more than three cartons of cigarettes. However, I have had some packs left over from the third carton that I did not smoke on the cruise that I will "scatter." Maybe one pack in my purse, one in my carry-on, etc. but just have two cartons intact. Not worth going risking a big fine over a dumb carton of cigarettes.

Tucker in Texa

Archived