Appropriate Clothing when walking around ship (daytime)

dual

I was just on the Freedom in October. My husband had on a dry bathing suit with a nice matching tee shirt and was refused service on the prommenade at Sorrentos Pizza. I can understand the rule...they don't want people in wet bathing suits eating at Sorrentos. There were a few people served that did have bathing suits on but it was not evident. My husbands suit was floral and it was obvious it was a bathing suit. The moral to the story...if you want to eat at Sorrentos in your bathing suit don't wear a floral suit. Wear a dark bathing suit that looks like shorts.

I wear my swimsuit cover up down to the stores or the promenade all the time! I am not going back to the cabin, take a shower, and get dressed in regular clothes just to run down to the store or stop at the store after coming back from the island or ending a pool day. My swim cover up is just as much as if would go and put on shorts and a spaghetti strap top. I see women in their coverups all the time - in WJ, stores, bars, etc. It IS a cruise ship. Dinner no, main dining no, shows no, but during the day, YES!

I just off the Mariner of the Seas and most people were covered up (shorts/t-shirts) inside the ship. No bathing suits. I just kept a pair of shorts and t-shirt in my pool bag and threw them on when I wanted to back to my cabin or inside to a public room. Sometime I would just use the men's changing room near the gym on pool deck if I wished to get out of my wet bathing suit instead of going back to my cabin to change into shorts, etc.

The only time I've worn my robe outside my cabin is to and from a spa appointment. Now, before you all faint from shock and horror, I DO use the cabin corridors, not the Royal Promenade! I rarely meet anyone but cabin stewards, and it sure beats putting clothing back on over your well-oiled body!! :D

Just be thankful they weren't there without them.

People really don't know how to count their blessings;).

Isn't a big robe better than a small wrap on the wrong person?

Is this another case the wrong fabric, no matter how much better it looks:confused:

In cooler weather what do others wear after getting out of the warm spa?

The worst I saw was a guy on the Mariner a few years back. He was sitting at the champagne bar, he was wearing his swim trunks, BIG, HAIRY, belly hanging out, pool towel over his shoulders, bucket of beer sitting on the bar. We were dressed for dinner, sat at the bar ordered one drink, asked the bartender whats with the 1/2 naked dude. Bartender just smiled.

I should have gone to guest services and complained, but instead we left after our one drink and went to vintages to enjoy a more appropriate clientel.

I think the bartender at the CB was intimidated by the naked dude and didnt want to make a scene.

Its really sad that the employees dont enforce the rules.

No shoes, no shirt, no service... And no wet bathing suits unless you're heading back to your room. Seems like common sense and common courtesy.

Hmmm.........seems the problem with your response is the repeated use of the word "common." C'mon...we all know that a large percentage of people today do not possess what is called "common sense" and "Common courtesy." I've always wondered why these traits were called "COMMON" when so few people seem to possess these traits. Keep in mind, if it weren't for stupid people, we'd have no one to laugh at.........

Hmmm.........seems the problem with your response is the repeated use of the word "common." C'mon...we all know that a large percentage of people today do not possess what is called "common sense" and "Common courtesy." I've always wondered why these traits were called "COMMON" when so few people seem to possess these traits. Keep in mind, if it weren't for stupid people, we'd have no one to laugh at.........[/quote]

Keep in mind, if not for put downs, others could NEVER feel tall!

If not for laughing at others, some may NEVER feel good.

How common do you think that is?

Hmmm.........seems the problem with your response is the repeated use of the word "common." C'mon...we all know that a large percentage of people today do not possess what is called "common sense" and "Common courtesy." I've always wondered why these traits were called "COMMON" when so few people seem to possess these traits. Keep in mind, if it weren't for stupid people, we'd have no one to laugh at.........

So very true, especially now with the cheap, cheap, cheap prices.

###

Got to say this: There is something very special about a midnight soak in the hot tub and then putting on the RCI robe over it, and marching down to the cabin. It feels like a little bit of luxury! Not during the daytime though, but at night I do admit to this midnight thing...the robe just works out better than a cover up!

Not at midnight, but we do this almost every night between 6:30 - 7:00. The Solarium is almost empty. We go the back way and up the elevators, not through the public areas. I agree: the RCCL robes make a great cover up after the hot tub, because they absorb all the excess water, and you don't drip all over going back to your cabin.

Then, we shower and go out for the evening.

Not at midnight, but we do this almost every night between 6:30 - 7:00. The Solarium is almost empty. We go the back way and up the elevators, not through the public areas. I agree: the RCCL robes make a great cover up after the hot tub, because they absorb all the excess water, and you don't drip all over going back to your cabin.

OMG Peggy, I am shocked!!!! LOL, you rock Peggy!:D

The worst I saw was a guy on the Mariner a few years back. He was sitting at the champagne bar, he was wearing his swim trunks, BIG, HAIRY, belly hanging out, pool towel over his shoulders, bucket of beer sitting on the bar.

Would it have made a difference if this guy was of average or small build? No! It's inappropriate regardless of the size of the person.

Does anyone really give a rip whether someone wears their robe as a coverup or to the hot tub or to get coffee? It is really that odd or offensive or in such bad taste? Aren't there bigger things to worry about or more important things to be grateful for than commenting on someone wearing a robe on a cruise ship?

I know some of this is ha ha, joking, and lighthearted but somedays it just seems way to unimportant given what is going on in this world let alone our own country.

I'm not yelling, or pointing fingers, or telling anyone off, or anything like it. (but I do understand the written word can be taken in a way that it was not intended) I'm not directing this toward any individual either. I am saying the same thing to myself. Sometimes things happen and the reality of what is really important and what really matters becomes very clear.

Does anyone really give a rip whether someone wears their robe as a coverup or to the hot tub or to get coffee? It is really that odd or offensive or in such bad taste? Aren't there bigger things to worry about or more important things to be grateful for than commenting on someone wearing a robe on a cruise ship?

I know some of this is ha ha, joking, and lighthearted but somedays it just seems way to unimportant given what is going on in this world let alone our own country.

I'm not directing this toward any individual either. I am saying the same thing to myself.

Excellent point. Sometimes we need a reminder when we're being a bit petty :o

[quote name='aks368']Does anyone really give a rip whether someone wears their robe as a coverup or to the hot tub or to get coffee? [/quote]
To answer your question... I personally don't give a rip! Frankly a robe to the hot tub or to get coffee or go to the spa is quite reasonable and acceptable in my opinion. Frankly is someone wanted to sit down in the WJ and have breakfast in their robe, it certainly wouldn't ruin my breakfast. Me? I'd rather sit on my balcony in my robe with room service. That's just me. :)

On another "sordid" note, wouldn't it be cool if they made black robes fashioned like a tux?

[quote name='pcur']Not at midnight, but we do this almost every night between 6:30 - 7:00. The Solarium is almost empty. We go the back way and up the elevators, not through the public areas. I agree: the RCCL robes make a great cover up after the hot tub, because they absorb all the excess water, and you don't drip all over going back to your cabin.

Then, we shower and go out for the evening.[/quote]

We too enjoy the Hot Tub not in the evening but in the early morning . A great place to watch the sunrise:rolleyes:, it has become a tradition for us. We usually have the pool/hot tub to ourselves and they have just finished cleaning the area.

[quote name='aks368']Does anyone really give a rip whether someone wears their robe as a coverup or to the hot tub or to get coffee? It is really that odd or offensive or in such bad taste? Aren't there bigger things to worry about or more important things to be grateful for than commenting on someone wearing a robe on a cruise ship?

I'm not yelling, or pointing fingers, or telling anyone off, or anything like it. (but I do understand the written word can be taken in a way that it was not intended) I'm not directing this toward any individual either. I am saying the same thing to myself. Sometimes things happen and the reality of what is really important and what really matters becomes very clear.[/quote]

I agree, I wouldnt look twice at someone wearing a robe, I didnt because I didnt have one;)
Its not like they are indecent .

I think part of the problem/confusion is the definition of swim cover-ups. Some people use a simple sarong or sheer fabric over their swimsuits. All of mine are more like actual clothes, mostly light cotton or terry cloth dresses. I see no problem in wearing a casual cover-up dress over my swimsuit on the ship, but I would never go around just wearing something see-through or just my swimsuit alone.

robe is perfect for pools/hot tubs. On Princess I wore mine to the ladies locker room that had sauna/steam room.

I assume that people are dressed underneath the robes and the robe is simply a "modesty drape" of convenience.

I wouldn't wear it to a meal, however, even at the buffet. That's too casual for me.

[quote name='RetireeWannabee']robe is perfect for pools/hot tubs. On Princess I wore mine to the ladies locker room that had sauna/steam room.

I assume that people are dressed underneath the robes and the robe is simply a "modesty drape" of convenience.

I wouldn't wear it to a meal, however, even at the buffet. That's too casual for me.[/quote]

I agree- robe over swimsuit as a pool/hot tub/spa coverup, fine. Robe over underwear or nothing at all is too much of a risk of exposing that which is not meant to be exposed.

As far as "coverups" of any sort in the buffet/public areas, I'm ok wearing a sundress type (you can tell my swimsuit is under it because you can see the straps, but you can't see through the dress itself), but I wouldn't just throw on a pair of shorts or a sarong or something see-through.

[quote name='Kailyn']I think part of the problem/confusion is the definition of swim cover-ups. Some people use a simple sarong or sheer fabric over their swimsuits. All of mine are more like actual clothes, mostly light cotton or terry cloth dresses. I see no problem in wearing a casual cover-up dress over my swimsuit on the ship, but I would never go around just wearing something see-through or just my swimsuit alone.[/QUOTE]

you hit the nail on the head here for me - as I am the original poster I should have probably worded my question a bit better - I guess I wanted to know what is deemed suitable as a "cover-up". :)

I too wear my sarong tied across my chest thus covering my bikini fully - but yes its a little "sheer" so I was wondering whether that was appropriate inside the ship.

I think I will be inclined to wear some sort of loose sundress over my bikini when walking back inside the ship rather than my sarong.

Many thanks

[quote name='dual']you hit the nail on the head here for me - as I am the original poster I should have probably worded my question a bit better - I guess I wanted to know what is deemed suitable as a "cover-up". :)

I too wear my sarong tied across my chest thus covering my bikini fully - but yes its a little "sheer" so I was wondering whether that was appropriate inside the ship.

I think I will be inclined to wear some sort of loose sundress over my bikini when walking back inside the ship rather than my sarong.

Many thanks[/quote]
I say if you wear your sarong well, then wear it regardless how shear it is over your bikini. If you don't, then don't. It's all your call. There are no rules. Have fun... enjoy your cruise!

[quote name='Ashland']I have seen people wearing their RCI bathrobes by the pool..... Also early morning in the WJ getting coffee etc. I think this is very amusing... I only use my RCI robe in my cabin or out on my balcony.. but everyone has their own comfort level...some more than others..:rolleyes:[/quote]

I have seen the robe too in the Windjammer and elsewhere. I only wear mine in our stateroom. It is nice for after a shower, but to wear outside the stateroom, no.

Jan

Archived