Appropriate Clothing when walking around ship (daytime)

dual

May sound like a silly question so apologies in advance. As a first time cruiser having only ever done the big resorts etc.

What is the correct clothing to wear around the ship during the daytime? Im thinking if I want to browse around the ships many venues/shops etc after coming away from the pool area after sunbathing.

In resorts its perfectly acceptable to wear ones swimwear with a cover up (like a sarong) when walking back into the resorts interiors- is this acceptable when walking around the ships interiors - say the main promenade etc? or should one put their full clothing back on.

For some reason I just cant picture people walking about in their swimwear inside the ship - Men in swim shorts, women in bikinis or swim suits. Seems a bit inappropriate to me - but It may be just a misconception I have conjured up in my head and never having cruised before I thought it best to check.

Dont fancy seeing a picture of myself on cruise critic in weeks to come with the thread title "what was this woman thinking!" :D :o

Inside the ship, in the public areas, you should be covered....a sarong around your waist, with a bare belly isn't appropriate.

Bathing suits with cover-ups are allowed in the WJ, but not the dining room.

Unless you're at the pool or upper decks, you should dress as you would in, say, a mall, or other public area. It's ok to wear your suit and coverup back and forth to your room, in the cabin hallways---just not in the other areas of the ship.

And, please....no bathrobe!

Oh Lord.....the thought :o...tell me you havent seen someone actually walking around in their bathrobe :eek:

No chance of that with me :)

Many thanks for all your replies - very much appreciated.

Inside the ship, in the public areas, you should be covered....a sarong around your waist, with a bare belly isn't appropriate.

Bathing suits with cover-ups are allowed in the WJ, but not the dining room.

Unless you're at the pool or upper decks, you should dress as you would in, say, a mall, or other public area. It's ok to wear your suit and coverup back and forth to your room, in the cabin hallways---just not in the other areas of the ship.

a little on the conservative side?

On sea days, bathing suites and or shorts are the norm.

I don't dress as though I'm in a mall. Most don't

Oh Lord.....the thought :o...tell me you havent seen someone actually walking around in their bathrobe :eek:

I have seen it. I get up very early. One monring I went to the Cafe Promenade to get a coffee on my way up to the open decks and sitting at one of the tables is someone in an RCI robe drinking a cup. Can't say that it bothered me one way or the other. I don't really care much what others are wearing.

I have seen people wearing their RCI bathrobes by the pool..... Also early morning in the WJ getting coffee etc. I think this is very amusing... I only use my RCI robe in my cabin or out on my balcony.. but everyone has their own comfort level...some more than others..:rolleyes:

I have seen people wearing their RCI bathrobes by the pool..... Also early morning in the WJ getting coffee etc. I think this is very amusing... I only use my RCI robe in my cabin or out on my balcony.. but everyone has their own comfort level...some more than others..:rolleyes:
Just be thankful they weren't there without them.

Got to say this: There is something very special about a midnight soak in the hot tub and then putting on the RCI robe over it, and marching down to the cabin. It feels like a little bit of luxury! Not during the daytime though, but at night I do admit to this midnight thing...the robe just works out better than a cover up!

Feel free wearing your bathing suit with a coverup in windjammer and the promenade. While most people are not walking around in the promenade with suits and coverups you will see them as they may be coming in to grab a sandwich, pizza, ice cream, etc and if you are walking by the store and you stop in to pick up an item I doubt you will make it in a CC thread as a "guess what I saw" topic. Somehow I doubt you will be dressing inappropriately.

As to the bathrobes...I have seem them at the pool area and never even thought twice about it.

Have a GREAT cruise :D

I haven't seen a robe yet, but last week in the Windjammer was a family dressed in pajamas eating breakfast. Honesty, I really do not care or notice what people wear, but this just surprised me. Oh, and the shirtless guy who walked around in the promenade and not one RCI person said a thing during the "Feast of Nations" (I think that's what it's called).

From the OP

In resorts its perfectly acceptable to wear ones swimwear with a cover up (like a sarong) when walking back into the resorts interiors- is this acceptable when walking around the ships interiors - say the main promenade etc? or should one put their full clothing back on.

The stores and the promenade are not "on the way from " the pool to anyone's cabin. I've never seen anyone with a bathing suit on in either. Maybe I just haven't looked. :rolleyes:

I have seen it. I get up very early. One monring I went to the Cafe Promenade to get a coffee on my way up to the open decks and sitting at one of the tables is someone in an RCI robe drinking a cup. Can't say that it bothered me one way or the other. I don't really care much what others are wearing.

I'm sorry to say that the couple we saw filling their plates in the Windjammer one morning wearing RCCL robes during our a cruise on the Grandeur really caused a stir! People stopped and stared and some laughed out loud. I managed to make it back to my table and avoid the show.

Got to say this: There is something very special about a midnight soak in the hot tub and then putting on the RCI robe over it, and marching down to the cabin. It feels like a little bit of luxury! Not during the daytime though, but at night I do admit to this midnight thing...the robe just works out better than a cover up!

Absolutely! There isn't anything wrong with using a robe as a cover up, especially at night going from a hot tub to the cooler night air....sounds wonderfully plush and cuddly.....:D I wouldn't think twice seeing someone that obviously went from the pool or hot tub to their room in a bath robe with a swimsuit under it..:confused: Maybe because I've lived right near the ocean and was used to people walking around stores, main street and everywhere else in bathing suits!:p

I haven't seen a robe yet, but last week in the Windjammer was a family dressed in pajamas eating breakfast. Honesty, I really do not care or notice what people wear, but this just surprised me. Oh, and the shirtless guy who walked around in the promenade and not one RCI person said a thing during the "Feast of Nations" (I think that's what it's called).

There are many levels of pajamas... My wife and I have done this early in the morning, before the main crowd got there...

Now would I do it at 9am? Probably not... At 7am, sure...

Yes, we're strange... :)

As a follow up...

Regarding bathing suits... You're on a cruise ship... In the middle of the ocean...

I see people in the mall here with bathing suit tops on in the summer, I would expect that on a cruise ship.

Maybe RCL is different, been a long time for me. Carnival had plenty of women with shorts on over their bottoms with bikki tops on.

Not in the main dining room or main shows, or anything, but almost everywhere casual...

Heck, outside of the formal areas, I don't even want to wear shoes. :)

Yes, we're strange... :)

Aren't we ALL a little strange. Some of us might not think so but EVERYONE has a little bit or strange in them. It makes life much more interesting :D

Now I know have to go find my pj's to bring on the next cruise along with my robe for my coverup :D

On Radiance a few weeks ago, a couple of women who were staying in a full suite came into the Concierge Lounge in their bathrobes (I knew they were in a full suite because the bathrobes are different) for their morning coffee, about 9:30. I think they were expecting to be alone in there, because they seemed to be embarrassed when they saw DH and me and babbled on about having a "girls' spa vacation."

We also saw a woman in a string bikini come into the WJ. I'm not sure how she got in without the greeter/monitor (who was very active about turning barefoot people away and making people use the hand sanitzers) stopping her, but I was thankful that she put on a coverup before she sat down.:eek:

The robes didn't bother me - I thought it was silly, but it didn't have the slightest impact on my cruise. But I had visions of being the next person to sit in the chair after Ms. String Bikini, and that just gave me the willies.

Archived