Formal night options

bickee

Hello! Hoping and praying this doesn't turn into the typical dress code rant and rave thread...but I have a question and I'm going to ask it! I have always shlepped my formal wear to each cruise but thinking of taking one on the Solstice in March...will be fairly pregnant and honestly do not want to wrangle this body into a fancy dress!!! What, on Celebrity specifically, are my options?

1. I know that there's a big controversy about if you have to dress up formally in the specialty dining rooms on formal night. Do you feel this is the case? Based on what you've SEEN, not your opinion. ;)

2. Does celebrity offer in room dining from the dining room menu? Or is it only room service?

3. Does Bistro on 5 require formal dress?

4. Am I missing anything else besides the buffet?

Thanks, from a quickly growing woman!

Congrats on your pregnancy! I just wanted to say that we are not big fans of the formal night and with all the luggage weight restrictions, what a waste to bring formal wear for one evening! So now, we go to one formal night and the other formal nights we dine on our balcony. We sail CC and we always order from the dining room menu and it always arrives warm and wonderful. Actually dinner on the balcony is one of my favorite things in cruising - you get the white tablecloth and a bud vase - very nice evening!

I presume you will be on a 7 dayer? Don't be afraid of formal nights. ;) Take along a pair of black dress slacks and a pretty top. You will fit in fine. Many ladies, including me, include black dressy pants and a variety of tops. You don't have to fear repeating outfits either!

Sport coat and tie for your dh will work too.

Head for the specialty resturants. OR buffet or dinner in your room if you want to "hide out" those 2 nights.

You'll be fine in blacks slacks and a nice top.

BTW, remember you're going to need to bring a note from your doctor saying you're not beyond their 24 weeks pregnancy rule. Celebrity and most other lines are requiring this note in order for them to know you're not beyond their rule. If you don't have this, and they ask, they could prevent you from boarding. They started this rule because of some recent pre-term labor incidents, and cruise ships are not prepared for this kind of happening.

Hello! Hoping and praying this doesn't turn into the typical dress code rant and rave thread...but I have a question and I'm going to ask it! I have always shlepped my formal wear to each cruise but thinking of taking one on the Solstice in March...will be fairly pregnant and honestly do not want to wrangle this body into a fancy dress!!! What, on Celebrity specifically, are my options?

1. I know that there's a big controversy about if you have to dress up formally in the specialty dining rooms on formal night. Do you feel this is the case? Based on what you've SEEN, not your opinion. ;)

2. Does celebrity offer in room dining from the dining room menu? Or is it only room service?

3. Does Bistro on 5 require formal dress?

4. Am I missing anything else besides the buffet?

Thanks, from a quickly growing woman!

1, Celebritys formal written policy is that Specialty restaurants have the same dress code as MDR. Apparently they don't enforce it but who knows what will happen.

2. Celebrity offers the MDR for in room dining during regular dining room hours for all Cabin Categories and has offered this for at least 10 years.

3. Can't comment on #3 until next week.

4 I don't understand the question about the buffet but please remember that Celebrity does not offer a buffet for dinner on any of their ships as you would get for Breakfast or Lunch. There are other options depending on ship but not a full buffet.

Thanks! I have yet to sail Celebrity so I didn't know about the dining room menus being offered or the fact that the "buffet" is actually a sit down dinner in the evenings! I like this idea!

The casual sit down dinner in the buffet area is not available on the Solstice Class ships. They do have pizza, pasta, sushi, etc....

I did the stretchy black jersey dress with nice jewerly on formal nights, comfy and no probs. Still wear the dress too, so it was a good buy at Ross (check them out if you have 1 near you and have not, never have paid more than 40 bucks for a formal yet)

I'm aware of the pregnancy rules, thanks! I don't want to go to formal nights, no matter what I wear! Just wondering what the other options are. Anyone know about Bistro on 5?

Hi,:) Bistro on 5 is casual. Crepes, (all types) entree, dessert,

also salads and sandwiches.

Congrats to you...wishing you a happy, healthy baby:)

Lois but it isn't open for dinner is it?

Well, I was only on Solstice for 2 nights so maybe I have been

misinformed...but I thought it was open for lunch and dinner.

I am guessing someone who has been on much more recently

could give us updated information:)

The casual sit down dinner in the buffet area is not available on the Solstice Class ships. They do have pizza, pasta, sushi, etc....
I totally concur no sit down Alternative dining on Solstice class. I think all Celebrity ships have pizza, pasta, sushi, etc. at dinner [just off Mercury and it at least had also had a nice stir fry and a decent salad bar in the buffet area in the evening], but when we were on Solstice they had a pretty full buffet in the evenings [in addition to the above, you could get grilled chops, modest steaks, hot veggies, etc.]

Oh really? No sit down? Poo. I will check out the Bistro info from some recent cruisers.

I repeat, I AM NOT GOING TO FORMAL NIGHT. I don't care how "comfy" you think your outfit is. It isn't happening!

Thanks for those that helped!

We sailed on Equinox in August, which we booked approx 12 months in advance. However I suffered a bad fall leaving me at the very least on 2 crutches and at times in a wheelchair.

I took the decision before we left home that I would not be getting dressed up on formal nights for a variety of reasons, one being that anything long represented a trip hazard (for me :)).

Whilst I would not consider myself 'formally' dressed in the slightest, I was probably as formal as at least 50% of the other passengers in a 'nice' dress.

We had 3 formal nights and we ate at Silks twice (our favourite restaurant onboard) and Tuscan Grill on another evening.

I know you said you wont be doing formal nights, but just to clarify, do you want to be able to wear jeans/t-shirts, if so, I feel you may be uncomfortable in any of the speciality restaurants. Anything above that dress wise and you will be fine.

Hoping you have a safe, well and happy pregnancy

1, Celebritys formal written policy is that Specialty restaurants have the same dress code as MDR. Apparently they don't enforce it but who knows what will happen.

2. Celebrity offers the MDR for in room dining during regular dining room hours for all Cabin Categories and has offered this for at least 10 years.

3. Can't comment on #3 until next week.

4 I don't understand the question about the buffet but please remember that Celebrity does not offer a buffet for dinner on any of their ships as you would get for Breakfast or Lunch. There are other options depending on ship but not a full buffet.

So there is no dinner buffet on Mercury?

Correct. There is not a "regular dinner buffet" (like breakfast and lunch)

There is Pasta/Pizza and Sushi.

There is "Alternative Dining"....set up near the buffet but you are served

on linen, off a menu in a more casual atmosphere. A 2.00 per person

gratuity is suggested. Wait staff is in training and it is a really nice

set up.

But no, there is not a full dinner buffet.

Oh really? No sit down? Poo. I will check out the Bistro info from some recent cruisers.

I repeat, I AM NOT GOING TO FORMAL NIGHT. I don't care how "comfy" you think your outfit is. It isn't happening!

Thanks for those that helped!

THEN STAY IN YOUR ROOM! NO ONE WILL CARE! The people on this board are only trying to help and assure you that no matter what you do you will have a good time. Remember you aren't required to dress in a formal ball gown. I think you are making more of a big deal in this than it really is!

Hope no matter what you do you have a very nice time.

No dinner buffet on any Celebrity ship....
Correct. There is not a "regular dinner buffet" (like breakfast and lunch)

There is Pasta/Pizza and Sushi.

There is "Alternative Dining"....set up near the buffet but you are served

on linen, off a menu in a more casual atmosphere. A 2.00 per person

gratuity is suggested. Wait staff is in training and it is a really nice

set up.

But no, there is not a full dinner buffet.

I am just off Mercury this Monday [9 Nov 09] and find these answers misleading. In addition to pasta, pizza and sushi there was a made-to-order sir-fry station and a full salad bar every evening. On the evening of our 8pm departure from Cartegena there was a full dinner buffet for that specific evening. Solstice had a full dinner buffet the one evening that I went in December 2008.

Thom

I am just off Mercury this Monday [9 Nov 09] and find these answers misleading. In addition to pasta, pizza and sushi there was a made-to-order sir-fry station and a full salad bar every evening. On the evening of our 8pm departure from Cartegena there was a full dinner buffet for that specific evening. Solstice had a full dinner buffet the one evening that I went in December 2008.

Thom

Hi Thom:) I appreciate the post.....the buffet you experienced is not

the "usual" so that is why we posted what we did.

A full dinner buffet is definitely not the "norm" on X.

So, I guess we need to start posting, that each itinerary has

their own dinner choices;)

I never meant to mislead anyone.

Hi Thom:) I appreciate the post.....the buffet you experienced is not the "usual" so that is why we posted what we did.

A full dinner buffet is definitely not the "norm" on X. So, I guess we need to start posting, that each itinerary has their own dinner choices;)

I never meant to mislead anyone.

I certain did not think there was any intent to lead people astray. I tried to point out that the full buffet we experienced in Cartegena was special due to the hour of departure. My main point was that with the salad bar and the made-to-order stirfry [with chicken, beef and seafood available] in addition to the pizza, pasta and sushi,a rather respectable dinner can be put together every evening in the "Buffet area" even when a full dinner buffet is not available.

happy sails

Thom

I certain did not think there was any intent to lead people astray. I tried to point out that the full buffet we experienced in Cartegena was special due to the hour of departure. My main point was that with the salad bar and the made-to-order stirfry [with chicken, beef and seafood available] in addition to the pizza, pasta and sushi,a rather respectable dinner can be put together every evening in the "Buffet area" even when a full dinner buffet is not available.

happy sails

Thom

The key point is that they do not have a dinner buffet which is the same as the breakfast or lunch buffet that you will experience. We pointed this out in previous posts. The pizza, pasta and sushi may be a respectable dinner but that was not the question. Exceptions do occur on occasion usually due to a late departure. It is not the norm...

Archived