Food quality

Bravesloop

I have to laugh, my one comment stirred up so many remarks. I have cruised between 40 & 50 cruises and all I said I was unhappy with the food and it was not up to my 40-50 cruise standards. Am I happy I didnt prepare, cook or clean ? of course I am. The problem is you cannot make a comment anymore on cruise critic or your opinion. You act like I am talking about your family member. I loved the ship and my mini suite and the itinerary but not the food. You need to take someones comments as it is..their opinion. People are afraid to say things on here because of the constant remarks afterwards. I will continue to cruise my 3-4 cruises per year and give my review and/or opinion after each cruise.

Dorene

I have to laugh, my one comment stirred up so many remarks. I have cruised between 40 & 50 cruises and all I said I was unhappy with the food and it was not up to my 40-50 cruise standards. Am I happy I didnt prepare, cook or clean ? of course I am. The problem is you cannot make a comment anymore on cruise critic or your opinion. You act like I am talking about your family member. I loved the ship and my mini suite and the itinerary but not the food. You need to take someones comments as it is..their opinion. People are afraid to say things on here because of the constant remarks afterwards. I will continue to cruise my 3-4 cruises per year and give my review and/or opinion after each cruise.

Dorene

Did you not say in your previous post that basicly the people that commented on the food being good were basicly fibbing??? (Your quote: "But your going to have people on here that will just say the food is good even if it's not") HUH???.

Thats how I took it. Is that not their opinion too? Or are you the only one allowed to have an opinion?

I was on the Ruby we got off Tuesday. I am so with you.......the food had no taste, and I was very dissapointed. But your going to have people on here that will just say the food is good even if it's not.

Dorene

The mind is a powerful thing. Some people truly believe if they did not have to cook it, if it's presented in a nice setting and on a pretty plate, therefore it is good:p. I might not like some foods because of the type of seasoning, however I did not enjoy the meals in Princess MDR because of the lack of seasoning, NO TASTE. No setting or pretty plate can replace salt and pepper with a touch of garlic. I am not a picky eater but a conscious eater. I would rather go hungry than eat just because it's on a pretty plate. I won't turn my nose up at food because it is in the buffet or has homestyle next to it.

Some/few people will say everything on their favorite line is good or find silly excuse for rubbish because they have found their comfort zone. No, I don't like to keep ordering until I find one with seasoning or stick to the same dish for an entire week. On Sapphire Princess, the pork chops in Savoy was really good:p I don't take seriously any post saying the food was top notch, for crying out loud, when you are cooking for 1000's, it's banquet. I smile and think, try a nice restaurant on land someday......please!

We were on the Diamond Princess in Alaska this past July, it was our first time on a Princess ship - we were very impressed (having done NCL and HAL cruises as well) - the quality and presentation of the food was much better than on HAL and NCL does not even come close in any respect in regard to the quality of the meals - we were so taken with Princess we are planning a Mediterrean cruise on the Ruby in May 2010. Can't wait:D

I was on the Ruby we got off Tuesday. I am so with you.......the food had no taste, and I was very dissapointed. But your going to have people on here that will just say the food is good even if it's not.

Dorene

I also just got off the Ruby on Tuesday. The food was fantastic the entire cruise. Some people just can't be pleased and they will always be the loudest critics on these boards.

And an "overall" rating of "1" for dining in your review.-- that I assume includes breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner. Would love some more specifics other than "bland". Yes -- we were on Ruby Sep 25 to Oct 25, 2009 almost just before your cruise. The Indian Dishes were outstanding and certainly not bland -- and I should know about that!

I have to laugh, my one comment stirred up so many remarks. I have cruised between 40 & 50 cruises and all I said I was unhappy with the food and it was not up to my 40-50 cruise standards.

Dorene

You may call me a troll if you wish. However, when someone who has taken one Princess cruise writes a review and rates the food as a 1, then this lurker had to post.

I agree with you ... all I can say is I loved my Princess cruise and I certainly wouldn't be spending almost double of what it cost me on a Mediterrean cruise last year on the NCL Jade if I didn't think so .... bringing a whole bunch of friends as well. Let the countdown begin.

Continuation of My comments above:

My Error! Actually Dorene, in your review you do elaborate about the food.

I have to laugh, my one comment stirred up so many remarks. I have cruised between 40 & 50 cruises and all I said I was unhappy with the food and it was not up to my 40-50 cruise standards.

Dorene

We have returrned from a back-to-back on the Caribbean Princess last week and the food was outstanding. There was only one meal that was below standard -- Beef Wellington that was drier than it should have been. Other than that one entree, the food was of an extrordinary standard.

We take the time to discuss the next night's dinner menu with our head waiter each evening and it pays great dividends. Head waiters have great sway on the galley and often can influence how and what is served.

Dorene

Why in the world would someone say it is good if it is not? Makes no since.

And is everything bad?

For us, in 13 Princess cruises, the food quality has been uneven. Sometimes it's very good (and some items are truly excellent); sometimes (Sun Princess in 2003 and 2007, and Grand Princess in 2005) it was fair to good at best. But, like others have said, for what we're paying (generally around $100pp per day), it's an unbelievable value, and I am certainly willing to overlook a few duds. However, I'm not willing to say that as long as I don't have to shop for it, cook it, or clean up after it, I'm happy. I'm on a vacation, not at home, and I do expect a bit more than that.

Why in the world would someone say it is good if it is not? Makes no since.

And is everything bad?

I had also asked that...and still no reply! Certainly not everything is going to be to "your taste", but nothing you put into your mouth had any taste what so ever:confused: If that is how you truly feel, then perhaps you should get your taste buds checked out;) Sorry, don't mean to be so flip, but that statement just doesn't make a whole lot of sense!!

For us, in 13 Princess cruises, the food quality has been uneven. Sometimes it's very good (and some items are truly excellent); sometimes (Sun Princess in 2003 and 2007, and Grand Princess in 2005) it was fair to good at best. But, like others have said, for what we're paying (generally around $100pp per day), it's an unbelievable value, and I am certainly willing to overlook a few duds. However, I'm not willing to say that as long as I don't have to shop for it, cook it, or clean up after it, I'm happy. I'm on a vacation, not at home, and I do expect a bit more than that.

I agree with the above. Very well put.

Sometimes I think the level of service in the dining room has perhaps changed more than the quality of the food over the years. I, for one, enjoyed the excellent service in previous years (I'm talking 20-30 years ago), as that kind of service is difficult to find on land. Excellent food -- there are many highly rated restaurants in the city where I live, so not such a big deal, and I know not to expect a Michelin-quality meal onboard.

But I did enjoy the dishes prepared tableside, salads dressed at table, side dishes plated at table, more courses offered, etc. of the old days at sea....

I agree with the above. Very well put.

Sometimes I think the level of service in the dining room has perhaps changed more than the quality of the food over the years. I, for one, enjoyed the excellent service in previous years (I'm talking 20-30 years ago), as that kind of service is difficult to find on land. Excellent food -- there are many highly rated restaurants in the city where I live, so not such a big deal, and I know not to expect a Michelin-quality meal onboard.

But I did enjoy the dishes prepared tableside, salads dressed at table, side dishes plated at table, more courses offered, etc. of the old days at sea....

I agree entirely,I remeber the Royal Viking Star where service and food cannot be found on any cruise line today,it was staffed with Scandinavian crew,today it is the UN barely speaking English and the budget for food has taken an underwater swim.

I am not the first one to say the food on Princess is not to their liking, nor will I be the last. Your rude comments are now becoming directed to me (my taste buds are fine) and it shows me what type of people are on the Princess board. People are not here to help people with their suggestions on cruises or maybe an opinion unless it passes everyones approval. I am shocked at some of the responses by people here because I stated I did not care for the food. Yes I did one Princess cruise because my travel agent thought I would like it since I sail on many cruises per year. I am no newbie on cruises and I have sailed more than most of you. So you can continue to sail your Princess and pretend it is something it's not........I will cruise all lines (but this one) as I have been doing for the last 20 plus years.

Dorene

I think you are a little tender for some reason. I read back a few comments and found many who agreed with you. Everone has their own likes and dislikes but you seem to feel that everyone should agree with you. More seem to feel the food is good to excellent but many dont.

Wow, put a thread on CC regarding food and everyone goes nuts.:eek:

Everyone has different tastes and likes and expectations.

I don't like greasy foods or spicy foods. Kooljamming loves both of those (I think I am correct Pauline? Judging from previous posts). That does not mean that I am right and she is wrong, just that we are different.

Some have higher expectations than others. My expectations are quite low and if they exceed that then I have a great holiday. I don't book holidays for the food, I book holidays for the total experience. Sure there probably will be a few instances which will tick me off but that shouldn't take away from the overall pleasure of the holiday.

Lighten up people and allow everyone to have their say without the slamming and needing to be personally right in everything.

I think you are a little tender for some reason. I read back a few comments and found many who agreed with you. Everone has their own likes and dislikes but you seem to feel that everyone should agree with you. More seem to feel the food is good to excellent but many dont.

Exactly, she is coming off as "My opinion is right if you disagree you are wrong and showing me disrespect." She is sore that she was called to task for her assertation that those who say they like the food on Princess really didn't. Just what would be gained by lying about that?

Well said. ;)

On our second cruise on the Grand in ten months there was a marked decline in the standard of fare, on one evening all eight on our tables complained about their dishes, however when the Maitre ‘D asked if everything was alright. All except me said yes, I was offered a different dish, which was superb, (though I did still write to HO to complain.)

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why you would still complain to HO if the problem was rectified. They gave you a superb dish in lieu of the previous dish, which you liked, yet you still had to gripe about it? Wow!

Now I'm no Princess cheerleader, and my DH and I also find the fare on Princess to be lacking and subpar to the food we've had on Carnival, which in itself is odd by the fact that Princess is owned by Carnival. I suppose I was taught that if there's a problem and it's fixed then you let it go and not dwell on it enough to ACTUALLY MAKE A FORMAL COMPLAINT! Again, WOW!

I agree entirely,I remeber the Royal Viking Star where service and food cannot be found on any cruise line today,it was staffed with Scandinavian crew,today it is the UN barely speaking English and the budget for food has taken an underwater swim.

I just find it so funny that a member from Montreal comments on the crew barely speaking English! (Which is not what I have found)

Montreal of course being a very cosmopolitan city and English not really the language there at all.

Oh well, each to his or her own opinion!

I just find it so funny that a member from Montreal comments on the crew barely speaking English! (Which is not what I have found)

Montreal of course being a very cosmopolitan city and English not really the language there at all.

Oh well, each to his or her own opinion!

Hello Griller,I do not know where you are from but obviously you do'nt know that Montreal is biligual and English is spoken everywhere.

You probably forgot that this post is about FOOD. and some members spoke about service and of course everyone is entitled to his opinion. Languge is about communication and if someone lacks knowledge of a language i.e English you can get soup instead of dessert.

Hello Griller,I do not know where you are from but obviously you do'nt know that Montreal is biligual and English is spoken everywhere.

You probably forgot that this post is about FOOD. and some members spoke about service and of course everyone is entitled to his opinion. Languge is about communication and if someone lacks knowledge of a language i.e English you can get soup instead of dessert.

I have lived in Montreal, in the east side, great place to live. Glad I spoke French though.

Sopa Inglese being the prime candidate for a menu mixup perhaps!

Never had a language problem on board ship, except at reception desks when they don't want to understand the problem and hope you'll go away if they make hard work of it for you.

Oh, sorry that's not about food.

Food is a terribly subjective topic, and let's be honest, what is served is by necessity very middle of the road. That doesn't mean it's not good, or even occasionally excellent. And even a good chef has a bad day, any of us who enjoy cooking know that.

My advice is to ask your waiter what he or she might recommend. Their advice is usually good. You don't have to go along with the recommendation. If I know that a dish is supposed to have a little heat, I ask the waiter to make sure that it is spiced up, so I don't get the mild version that is prepared for granny's less adventurous tastes.

I don't buy into this constant stream of comments about cutbacks. There have been some changes, some for the better, and maybe some that I don't agree with, but the overall level of quality and service seems to be same or maybe even a bit improved based on our personal experience.

Very well put, Rob.

If folks would just think about having to prepare and serve 3000+ meals three times a day they would realize that Princess does an excellent job.

Gourmet dining it is not; but it sure isn't the mess hall either.:eek:

Mike:)

Archived