Food quality

Bravesloop

It seems the quality of food has gone down on Princess, and not the high standard it once was as far as menu selection. Has anyone else noticed this?

Not by my account. The food on the Ruby during our Grand Med Cruise in Sept was right up there with the best that we have experienced on our previous Princess cruises. The icing on the cake was the special dishes that our Head Waiter in the Davinci DR, Rui, prepared for us each night prior to the main meal. What a let down when we had to pay 100 Euros PP in Venice for a mediocre dinner.

Just off Ruby this saturday and I have to say I was very unhappy with the food. The best meal we had was the curry night at Cafe Caribe. I was even disappointed with our Ultimate Balcony dinner. We did the surf and turf, the steak was uncooked in the center ( we like med rare...but not raw) the lobster was chewy (overcooked ?). The "anytime" salmon was either overcooked or previously frozen. I'm not a complainer by nature but I was not happy with our most recent experience. I've decided that maybe it is just me and I need to take a break from cruise food. Our next vacation will be land based. Maybe food will be improved or my attitude better after a break.

Did not realize it was a staple -- ordered it for the first time on Ruby last month! It was my worst Princess dish ever. But then I loved the Jerk dishes in the hole-in-the-wall place in Ocho Rios. The Princess chefs only know how to cook these dishes to suit the palate of the "majority" that cruise Princess.

Jerk chicken, a menu staple, is so bland I never order it.

About the two conflicting opinions of recent dining on the Ruby,

is it possible that there was a big changeover of chef and staff when the Ruby changed from Med. to Caribbean????

I have been reading up on the Ruby, as we will be onboard soon. And, I am wondering if I am seeing a common thread in the comments about the dining.

PS: I know that preferences make a difference, but IMHO, 'quality' transcends preferences.

In other words, even if the food is not seasoned to my preferences, I know quality fresh ingredients that have been well prepared.

On the same lines, giving the dish a name that I do not recognize and can't even pronounce also has no bearing on 'quality'.

Did not realize it was a staple -- ordered it for the first time on Ruby last month! It was my worst Princess dish ever. But then I loved the Jerk dishes in the hole-in-the-wall place in Ocho Rios. The Princess chefs only know how to cook these dishes to suit the palate of the "majority" that cruise Princess.

It's not bad if you don't think of it as "jerk" chicken!

Yep, I agree. I think the cooking and menus have been revised to reflect a more braod-based cruising public. I mean, when people complain about basic sauces and meatloaf is now a featured entree, then you know the times have definitely changed. At least Princess hasn't sunk low enough to add a fast-food outlet. Make no mistake, I still find the food good, especially given their constraints -- I can barely cook for one; cooking for 3000 is an awe-inspiring feat and I doff my toque to 'em -- but I do miss the calibre of food of the olden days (says rdsqrl the geezer-in-training. You know, when we walked to school for three miles in the snow!). However, it's nice that we have Chef's Table, Sabatini's, Crown Grill -- I'm willing to happily accept lower overall cruise fares in exchange for knowing that if I care to pay a little more, there's a step-up in quality and service to be had.

We just completed our 14th Princess Cruise. Shapphire to Mexico, the food was very good. Our last 2 cruises, not so good. Last October TA from Venice on the Emerald, the food was occasionally very bad. Last March Panama on the Island, o-kay. We have come to the conclusion that the chef and also the source of food may make the difference.

We just returned by the Caribbean Princess last Sunday 11/15/09, and found the food in the main dining room to be fantastic. To us, it has actually improved since our last sailings with Princess. We (4 of us) actually loved all of the selections.

We first sailed Princess 14 years ago and have always thought Princess did the best Chef Salads, Chilled soups and Soufles of any of the lines we have sailed on.

We have noted a reduction in the overall quality of the dining experience over the last several years on Princess but for what we now pay per day (last cruise booked $25 per day plus taxes) I don't know how they do it so well.

We probably dislike the anytime dining more than anything else, we love it on NCL, but on Princess we are going to try to not have it in future. They just haven't handled it well for us.

Was on the Golden Hawaii RT last month. Overall I felt that the food quality was quite good. This was our third time on the Golden (fifth on Princess) and the quality was better than in '04 and equal or better than '07. Especially enjoyed the sauces. I have to agree that on some nights there were few choices on the new menu that appealed to me. Our waiter brought a serving of the pasta of the day for the table each night and they were almost all top notch. I may be in the minority, but I don't see the value of the specialty restaurants. On the last trip, had fillet and lobster at the Crown Grill, Chef's Table and the MDR and I must say that the MDR was the best tasting. I did not see value for the added cost at the Crown Grill. Although the entree at the Chef's Table was no better than the MDR, the overall experience was top notch and I would recommend the experience. Also enjoyed the change of pace of the Pub Lunch. Those meals were quite good. In addition, the food at the International Cafe is a great tasting new option.

but for what we now pay per day (last cruise booked $25 per day plus taxes) I don't know how they do it so well.

Wow We are now aproaching $190 a day for UK sailings for a balcony cabin.

On our second cruise on the Grand in ten months there was a marked decline in the standard of fare, on one evening all eight on our tables complained about their dishes, however when the Maitre ‘D asked if everything was alright. All except me said yes, I was offered a different dish, which was superb, (though I did still write to HO to complain.)

I think that this now has something to do with the number now being served in a short space of time.

Do I think this is a general decline, no it is still great food most times, but Princess is now very overpriced for the British market, cheaper to fly to the Caribbean for 14 days, than sail from my home port, of Southampton.

but for what we now pay per day (last cruise booked $25 per day plus taxes) I don't know how they do it so well.

Wow We are now aproaching $190 a day for UK sailings for a balcony cabin.

On our second cruise on the Grand in ten months there was a marked decline in the standard of fare, on one evening all eight on our tables complained about their dishes, however when the Maitre ‘D asked if everything was alright. All except me said yes, I was offered a different dish, which was superb, (though I did still write to HO to complain.)

I think that this now has something to do with the number now being served in a short space of time.

Do I think this is a general decline, no it is still great food most times, but Princess is now very overpriced for the British market, cheaper to fly to the Caribbean for 14 days, than sail from my home port, of Southampton.

I wasn't talking balcony cabin, that's your choice! We are back to insides now, don't need an expensive view, get that for free on deck.

And on Princess the food is the same for us lowlifes in an inside cabin as the toffs get in balconys.

We're on the Grand again on the 30th, 21 days. Hope the food is no different to last year, it was passable, but for the cost - fine.

I wasn't talking balcony cabin, that's your choice! We are back to insides now, don't need an expensive view, get that for free on deck.

And on Princess the food is the same for us lowlifes in an inside cabin as the toffs get in balconys.

We're on the Grand again on the 30th, 21 days. Hope the food is no different to last year, it was passable, but for the cost - fine.

I don't think there is any need for your comments about what cabin we choose.

However seeing that you raised that point, the price for a M grade cheapest inside is $126.38 per day on the cruise we did from Southampton. but we still choose Princess as that is the line we like.

Which was much higher than other lines from the same port.

However this thread is about food.

About the two conflicting opinions of recent dining on the Ruby,

is it possible that there was a big changeover of chef and staff when the Ruby changed from Med. to Caribbean????

Crew changes all the time. There would be no complete turnover from one season to another unless you have specifics?

Look, I like Princess,, I really do,, but the food as always been a bit second rate to us. The lobster is "chewy" because it IS frozen,, and the scallops are definately tinned or frozen. Who is naive enough to think they are taking on enough FRESH seafood for 2 or 3 THOUSAND people,, and still only charging a cruiser an average of 100 bucks a day.. too funny.

The desserts taste like they are made with frozen ebdible oil product rather they REAL whip cream.

And we DO find many of the dishes are "dumbed down" for the masses( in other words made very BLAND to appeal to people who like bland I guess). I have never found a single spicy dish on the ship.. which is stupid in my opinion.

BUT,, I accept that,, since a cruise is CHEAP. We dine out here at home and pay a heck of a lot more for dinner out ( nice dinner out here averages 100+ dollars a couple)

Princess DOES do best pizza,, and the pool side grill is lovely,,, hamburgers( etc) etc made freshwhile you wait.

And to the cruiser who SAYS they cruise for 25 dollars a day.. what the ?? ,, I have never seen rates like that.. unless it was a one day cruise to a time share presentation..LOL

Look, I like Princess,, I really do,, but the food as always been a bit second rate to us. The lobster is "chewy" because it IS frozen,, and the scallops are definately tinned or frozen. Who is naive enough to think they are taking on enough FRESH seafood for 2 or 3 THOUSAND people,, and still only charging a cruiser an average of 100 bucks a day.. too funny.

The desserts taste like they are made with frozen ebdible oil product rather they REAL whip cream.

And we DO find many of the dishes are "dumbed down" for the masses( in other words made very BLAND to appeal to people who like bland I guess). I have never found a single spicy dish on the ship.. which is stupid in my opinion.

BUT,, I accept that,, since a cruise is CHEAP. We dine out here at home and pay a heck of a lot more for dinner out ( nice dinner out here averages 100+ dollars a couple)

Princess DOES do best pizza,, and the pool side grill is lovely,,, hamburgers( etc) etc made freshwhile you wait.

And to the cruiser who SAYS they cruise for 25 dollars a day.. what the ?? ,, I have never seen rates like that.. unless it was a one day cruise to a time share presentation..LOL

Who said anything about FRESH seafood eh?

Agree.

Cheaper cuts of meat, desserts made with inferior products, Less choices on the Dinner menu.

Our first cruise on Princess was 1992 and there sure is a drop in quality....

To each his own but I just do not agree with this. Our first Princess cruise was June 1991 on the wonderful Crown Princess and I don't think anything has dropped but lots of changes most for the better.

We have noted a reduction in the overall quality of the dining experience over the last several years on Princess but for what we now pay per day (last cruise booked $25 per day plus taxes) I don't know how they do it so well.

quote]

I must be reading this wrong would you explain. $25.00 per day would be $175.00 for a seven day cruise. I don't think they would rent you space on the fantail for that amount.

Our last two cruises The Island in August and the Sapphire last April the food was outstanding. Did the UST on the Sapphire and the CT on the Island. Doing these tours you get to spend a lot of time with the Head Chef and believe me you learn a lot on food preparation especially on the UST.

You naysayers should try at least the UST. You might find The food is not cheaper cuts or lower grade. It is not prepared way ahead of time and them kept warm. And if you cant find some thing that pleases you in the 15 or so main dish choices go get pizza. And if the portions are not large enough order another. Good grief Carley Brown thank your lucky stars you are able to cruise.:eek:

Also I love those double ESCARGOT:D:D.

They cook it, serve it and clean up

pretty good for me

This is me in a nut shell.

I've said before that Princess won't win any awards for their food, and I still think that is true. But there is a big, big difference between award winning and bad. In the buffet I found the food to be OK to good and I certainly never left hungry. In the dining room I found the food to be good to very good. My waiter even kidded me about cleaning my plate so completely. I guess I'm not that picky, I have eaten award winning and know the difference, but anything above OK is OK with me.

I have sailed Princess twice, in 2001 and in 2008 and came away both times thinking the same thing about the food. So, IMO the quality of the food hasn't changed at all.

This may sound awful, but it is really how I feel. Up to almost the end of the nineties, I always thought the food was very good...not out standing, but very good...if Princess were a restaurant in my town I would eat there. However in the twenty first century the cruise industry seemed to change: Many more people were cruising, and the number of people that wanted to get, "their monies worth" also increased." More and more people were boasting about how many desserts, main dishes, appetizers, etc. they ordered, food was wasted up at Horizon Court and in Café Caribe in astronomical amounts. More and more people seemed to be complaining about more and more things. These are the things that take away from the profit that a cruise industry can make. That coupled with our economy has made it necessary for Princess and most other cruise lines to lower the quality of some food items and introduce less expensive foods, while eliminating some of the higher quality, more expensive items. So what we are now seeing is the result. If one chooses wisely, the food is still very good, however there are some items that need attention. (crab knuckles instead of Crab legs is an example...the knuckles are way too salty and should not be consumed by anyone over thirty).

Princess is doing the best they can at this time, and I think the value is wonderful. It's really up to the individual passenger, to try not to waste, and to do their part to keep Princess solvent, and not be so greedy and wasteful. But alas, there will always be people like that, I just wish there were not so many of them.

RevSmith you make some good points. You get what you pay for and for Princess to provide the more high-end kinds of food, the cost of the cruise would go up. The food as is seems fine to me, and I've certainly never been accused of wasting anything!

Oh,, I do remember one thing,, back in early nineties,, we took our first Princess cruise,, and I remember going into the Horizon Court buffet,,and finding a huge platter of lovely shrimps( they were so big,, I'd call them prawns)... I took a plate of about 20-30 of them out to the pool deck and hubby and I consumed every single one!! Haven't seen them for last few cruises,, but maybe just missed them?? Anyone notice if they still put a platter of them in the buffet ??

It seems the quality of food has gone down on Princess, and not the high standard it once was as far as menu selection. Has anyone else noticed this?

We have noticed this on the last few Princess cruises. The food is still good, and I don't have to cook it, but it's lost it's "wow factor"

Lola in Hamilton

.... however, we have been on 3 cruises with Princess over the years. In my opinion, the meals have varied between pretty darn good to outstanding. I can't recall a bad meal, but boy I can think of a few that were unforgetable! Alaska King crab legs ..... mmmmmmmm

But, like I said earlier, its all subjective. To some people my 'pretty good' might be graded as terrible.

In the past 12 or so years of cruising, I cannot claim to see any definate downgrading in the quality of food. For those that go at least once of twice a year, then you may frequent the dining room enough to notice any change.

We have never been on the bigger ships (sun, sea & tahitian/ocean), perhaps there could be an issue there. IMO

To answer the question ... No, we love the food.

Archived