Food quality

Bravesloop

Oh,, I do remember one thing,, back in early nineties,, we took our first Princess cruise,, and I remember going into the Horizon Court buffet,,and finding a huge platter of lovely shrimps( they were so big,, I'd call them prawns)... I took a plate of about 20-30 of them out to the pool deck and hubby and I consumed every single one!! Haven't seen them for last few cruises,, but maybe just missed them?? Anyone notice if they still put a platter of them in the buffet ??

I have seen them sometimes on the first night and at lunch times. Also on the MR run last year they had them at lunch on tables outside the Horizon Court as part of a seafood bonanza

Oh,, I do remember one thing,, back in early nineties,, we took our first Princess cruise,, and I remember going into the Horizon Court buffet,,and finding a huge platter of lovely shrimps( they were so big,, I'd call them prawns)... I took a plate of about 20-30 of them out to the pool deck and hubby and I consumed every single one!! Haven't seen them for last few cruises,, but maybe just missed them?? Anyone notice if they still put a platter of them in the buffet ??

Nope.... I miss them too. :(

To each his own but I just do not agree with this. Our first Princess cruise was June 1991 on the wonderful Crown Princess and I don't think anything has dropped but lots of changes most for the better.

We have noted a reduction in the overall quality of the dining experience over the last several years on Princess but for what we now pay per day (last cruise booked $25 per day plus taxes) I don't know how they do it so well.

quote]

I must be reading this wrong would you explain. $25.00 per day would be $175.00 for a seven day cruise. I don't think they would rent you space on the fantail for that amount.

i_safe.gif

Travel, Llc

E. Central Blvd.

Suite

Orlando, FL 32801 Toll Free (866)

Local (407)

Email cs@

Website www. CRUISE FINAL PAYMENT CONFIRMATION #: xxxx [click here for Important Details] i_safe.gifTotal Price $ 2,218.02 Total Received - $ 2,218.02 Balance Due PAID IN FULL Final Pmt Received 11/11/2009 Cruise Package Details Modify / Change Cruiseline PRINCESS CRUISES Ship GRAND PRINCESS Itinerary TRANSATLANTIC (VENICE) Cruiseline Res # 2xxxxx Sailing Date 11/30/2009 # of Nights: 21 Dining PRINCESS PERSONAL CHOICE Stateroom TBA Stateroom Type M - INSIDE Passenger Details Modify / Change # Full Legal Name Departing City Depart Date Insurance Birthdate 1 Mr. Michael xxxxxCruise Only 11/30/2009 Declined* 0/00/1900 2 Mrs. Joyce xxxxxCruise Only 11/30/2009 Declined* 0/00/1900 IMPORTANT INSURANCE INFORMATION At least one, or more, passengers have chosen to decline travel insurance. We STRONGLY recommend travel insurance as a way to protect your investment in the case of unexpected or unforeseen circumstances that may cause you to cancel or delay your plans. If you would like to purchase travel and cancellation insurance, please notify us immediately. Passenger Pricing Details Description 1 2 Cruise $ 581.50 $ 581.50 Airfare $ 0.00 $ 0.00 Insurance $ 0.00 $ 0.00 Tax / Fees $ 527.51 $ 527.51 PASSENGER TOTAL $ 1,109.01 $ 1,109.01 Payment Details Date Payment Type Method Card Type Memo Amount 11/11/2009 Final Payment Credit Card Visa $ 2,218.02 TOTAL PAID $ 2,218.02 Modify / Change

I hope you will stop doubting my statement now, $581.50 for 21 days is about $28 per day. You are right , its not $25 a day, but its not far off. I an sure others will have paid less than us but I'm happy.

All I have altered on the above cut and paste from my invoice is personal and agency details.

We also each receive our $250 OBC as Carnival stockholders ( we are in fact in 2 cabins but that is another story altogether) and 500 minutes Internet each so its not a bad deal.

And to the cruiser who SAYS they cruise for 25 dollars a day.. what the ?? ,, I have never seen rates like that.. unless it was a one day cruise to a time share presentation..LOL

Well PG., all I can say is that if you haven't seen it then you haven't been looking. Actually it works out at $28 a day plus taxes but thats close.

CRUISE FINAL PAYMENT CONFIRMATION #: xxxx [click here for Important Details] i_safe.gifTotal Price $ 2,218.02 Total Received - $ 2,218.02 Balance Due PAID IN FULL Final Pmt Received 11/11/2009 Cruise Package Details Modify / Change Cruiseline PRINCESS CRUISES Ship GRAND PRINCESS Itinerary TRANSATLANTIC (VENICE) Cruiseline Res # 2xxxxx Sailing Date 11/30/2009 # of Nights: 21 Dining PRINCESS PERSONAL CHOICE Stateroom TBA Stateroom Type M - INSIDE Passenger Details Modify / Change # Full Legal Name Departing City Depart Date Insurance Birthdate 1 Mr. Michael xxxxxCruise Only 11/30/2009 Declined* 0/00/1900 2 Mrs. Joyce xxxxxCruise Only 11/30/2009 Declined* 0/00/1900 IMPORTANT INSURANCE INFORMATION At least one, or more, passengers have chosen to decline travel insurance. We STRONGLY recommend travel insurance as a way to protect your investment in the case of unexpected or unforeseen circumstances that may cause you to cancel or delay your plans. If you would like to purchase travel and cancellation insurance, please notify us immediately. Passenger Pricing Details Description 1 2 Cruise $ 581.50 $ 581.50 Airfare $ 0.00 $ 0.00 Insurance $ 0.00 $ 0.00 Tax / Fees $ 527.51 $ 527.51 PASSENGER TOTAL $ 1,109.01 $ 1,109.01 Payment Details Date Payment Type Method Card Type Memo Amount 11/11/2009 Final Payment Credit Card Visa $ 2,218.02 TOTAL PAID $ 2,218.02 Modify / Change

I hope you will stop doubting my statement now, $581.50 for 21 days is about $28 per day. You are right , its not $25 a day, but its not far off. I an sure others will have paid less than us but I'm happy.

All I have altered on the above cut and paste from my invoice is personal and agency details.

So I don't just "SAY" it, you will see these rates widely advertised. Its not until you see what the taxes are onthe invoice, and what Princess actually get as a bottom line fare that you realize how incredibly economical some cruises are.

Based on the recent comments above:

The desserts taste like they are made with frozen ebdible oil product rather they REAL whip cream.

Well, I haven't had Princess' food yet.

While I am sure that some of the dishes are probably quite good - anyone who calls flavored hydrogenated oil ( aka: Cool Whip ) an acceptable dessert... If this is true on Princess, then I am afraid I already know what what my opinion of Princess 'fine dining' will be. :rolleyes:

While I am sure that some of the dishes are probably quite good - anyone who calls flavored hydrogenated oil ( aka: Cool Whip ) an acceptable dessert... If this is true on Princess, then I am afraid I already know what what my opinion of Princess 'fine dining' will be. :rolleyes:

Most cruiseline desserts are somewhat bland IMHO, but I still think Princess provide the best NY style cheesecake out of any line I have been on.

And of course their soufles are truly excellent. Better than I can do at home.

So I usually stick to those and some fruit salad.

Perhaps you would be better off cancelling your cruise and booking on another line. Going in with a preconceived attitude can only result in a miserable time for you and a burden for us listening to you complain for months afterward.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most cruiseline desserts are somewhat bland IMHO, but I still think Princess provide the best NY style cheesecake out of any line I have been on.

And of course their soufles are truly excellent. Better than I can do at home.

So I usually stick to those and some fruit salad.

Thank you, griller!

Maybe I will try those items!

This was a thread from 2007. SpongeRob posted some old menus from the Love Boat era. I kind of prefer today's menus.

Luncheon

Appetizers:

Orange, apple, grapefruit, guava, and sauerkraut juices; mixed pickled vegetables, rollmops, Hungarian salami, green olives, egg alla russe, spiced rice

Soups:

Cream Malakoff, cold cream and spring vegetable, hot beef essence Brumoise, jellied chicken broth

Farinaceous:

Macaroni au gratin

Eggs:

Poached Nantua, Omelette bretonne, scrambled magda, shirred jessica

Entrees:

Cold snapper. mayonnaise salad

Pan fried brill fish

Braised ox tongue St. Germain

Mixed fruit salad with cottage cheese

Veal scallop parmigiana

From the Grill:

Broiled spring chicken with straw potatoes, cole slaw and devilled sauce

Vegetables:

Buttered corn, dressed cabbage, puree spinach

Potatoes:

French fried, saute, mashed

Cold Buffet:

Ox tongue with potato salad (What's with all the ox tongue? )

Brisket of beef with mustard pickle

Baked ham with pineapple rings

Roast veal with cole slaw

Salads:

Lettuce, Mexican, Tomato, choice of vinaigrette, roquefort, French, and thousand island dressings

Desserts:

Chocolate eclairs, lemon meringue pie, fruit jell-o, peaches in syrup, pineapple in syrup

Ice Cream:

Vanilla, pistachio, banana, coffee, pineapple sherbet

Selection of cheeses

Fresh and dried fruits

Candlelight Dinner

Appetizers:

Chilled asparagus tips vinaigrette

Melon ball cocktail with Kirsch

Soups:

Cream Marie Louise, Consomme, jellied chicken broth (not a big seller at lunch, I guess), chilled tomato

Entrees:

Fried flounder with lemon and tartare sauce

Poached filet of sole Portuguese

Succulent diced cactus with herb butter

Baked loin of pork with honey glaze and pineapple

Chicken Stanley (poached in stock, served with ham and buttered rice)

Minute steak with minted peas and tomato provencale

Vegetables:

Brussels sprouts, green peas, sliced beans, boulangere potatoes, creamed potatoes, allumette potatoes

Salads:

Iceberg, Alexandra, Sliced tomato, choice of French, thousand island, vinaigrette, or mayonnaise dressings

Desserts:

Chocolate cream gateau

Creme de menthe parfait

Crepes suzette (prepared at your table)

Whole meal fruit and nut cake

Selection of cheeses

Fresh fruit

Gilbert

This was a thread from 2007. SpongeRob posted some old menus from the Love Boat era. I kind of prefer today's menus.

Luncheon

Appetizers:

Orange, apple, grapefruit, guava, and sauerkraut juices; mixed pickled vegetables, rollmops, Hungarian salami, green olives, egg alla russe, spiced rice

Soups:

Cream Malakoff, cold cream and spring vegetable, hot beef essence Brumoise, jellied chicken broth

Farinaceous:

Macaroni au gratin

Eggs:

Poached Nantua, Omelette bretonne, scrambled magda, shirred jessica

Entrees:

Cold snapper. mayonnaise salad

Pan fried brill fish

Braised ox tongue St. Germain

Mixed fruit salad with cottage cheese

Veal scallop parmigiana

From the Grill:

Broiled spring chicken with straw potatoes, cole slaw and devilled sauce

Vegetables:

Buttered corn, dressed cabbage, puree spinach

Potatoes:

French fried, saute, mashed

Cold Buffet:

Ox tongue with potato salad (What's with all the ox tongue? )

Brisket of beef with mustard pickle

Baked ham with pineapple rings

Roast veal with cole slaw

Salads:

Lettuce, Mexican, Tomato, choice of vinaigrette, roquefort, French, and thousand island dressings

Desserts:

Chocolate eclairs, lemon meringue pie, fruit jell-o, peaches in syrup, pineapple in syrup

Ice Cream:

Vanilla, pistachio, banana, coffee, pineapple sherbet

Selection of cheeses

Fresh and dried fruits

Candlelight Dinner

Appetizers:

Chilled asparagus tips vinaigrette

Melon ball cocktail with Kirsch

Soups:

Cream Marie Louise, Consomme, jellied chicken broth (not a big seller at lunch, I guess), chilled tomato

Entrees:

Fried flounder with lemon and tartare sauce

Poached filet of sole Portuguese

Succulent diced cactus with herb butter

Baked loin of pork with honey glaze and pineapple

Chicken Stanley (poached in stock, served with ham and buttered rice)

Minute steak with minted peas and tomato provencale

Vegetables:

Brussels sprouts, green peas, sliced beans, boulangere potatoes, creamed potatoes, allumette potatoes

Salads:

Iceberg, Alexandra, Sliced tomato, choice of French, thousand island, vinaigrette, or mayonnaise dressings

Desserts:

Chocolate cream gateau

Creme de menthe parfait

Crepes suzette (prepared at your table)

Whole meal fruit and nut cake

Selection of cheeses

Fresh fruit

Gilbert

If that was the deluxe gourmet dining from the good old days that everyone misses I am quite glad that the food quality declined.

I am not the biggest fan of dinners in the MDR. But I have only been on one Princess cruise (Crown Princess). I thought our dinners on our most recent Carnival and RCI cruises were a bit better. I thought buffets for breakfast and lunch were very good and really enjoyed Crown Grille and Sabatinis. We don't cruise for food. So, the dinners in the MDR won't make or break my cruise. But if the line hired a new executive chef, I wouldn't be the first in line to complain.

If you really want fresh seafood and prime steaks, all cruiselines are now making you pay extra in their specialty restaurants. I have no problem with that. I don't think the cruiselines want to give you the same quality at no extra charge that they give you in upcharge restaurants.

They had them on the Star this past month. I had them twice as a matter of fact.:D

Just off Ruby this saturday and I have to say I was very unhappy with the food. The best meal we had was the curry night at Cafe Caribe. I was even disappointed with our Ultimate Balcony dinner. We did the surf and turf, the steak was uncooked in the center ( we like med rare...but not raw) the lobster was chewy (overcooked ?). The "anytime" salmon was either overcooked or previously frozen. I'm not a complainer by nature but I was not happy with our most recent experience. I've decided that maybe it is just me and I need to take a break from cruise food. Our next vacation will be land based. Maybe food will be improved or my attitude better after a break.

I was on the Ruby we got off Tuesday. I am so with you.......the food had no taste, and I was very dissapointed. But your going to have people on here that will just say the food is good even if it's not.

Dorene

My sense is that Princess, and other lines, are cutting back on the daily food budget. We notice it most on meat. The beef in the MDR is hit and miss, it is as thought they are no longer buying restaurant grade meat. But whatever it is they buy, it is certainly not as good as it was in the past. We also noticed a great deal of cafeteria grade desserts on our last Princess cruise,,,things like tray cakes that clearly were not made on board. This is one of the reasons we are not shy to try other cruise lines.

Coffee? I think they recycle the coffee grounds a few times to reduce cost...just awful.

And you will have people say the food is good even though it is.

I agree !

I just got off the Ruby Nov. 14th, and I was very pleased with the food. As it has been said over and over again food is subjective. To each his or her own.

I was on the Ruby we got off Tuesday. I am so with you.......the food had no taste, and I was very dissapointed. But your going to have people on here that will just say the food is good even if it's not.

Dorene

I interpret this to mean that if you don't agree with Dorene, you are wrong! wrong! wrong!:eek:

Doug, this was my opinion which is something we are all entitled to. I was responding to someones comment just as you just did.

Yes, but it sounded very dismissive of opposing opinions and that if we didn't agree somehow it was because one is a "Princess Cheerleader".:D

We will be leaving in just a little over a week for our second cruise on Princess. We cruised on the Golden for our first cruise two years ago. Obviously I can't speak to the decline in quality from years gone by (though I do wish I would have "discovered" cruising years earlier!) - I remember being impressed with the food on that cruise. Were there some things on the menu that didn't appeal - surely, but there was always something to pick from. I never felt that things were "tinned" or of poor quality. A meal is not only the food, but the presentation, the ambiance of the dining room and the camaraderie of your tablemates. For us, all were top quality. And BTW I have way too little cruising experience to be called a cheerleader for anything.

I am so excited to cruise on the Sapphire I can hardly stand myself. The food will be fine, I don't have to shop for it, plan the meal, cook or clean it up. They will hopefully have cheesecake for dessert - happy cruiser here.

Esmo

Dorene

So, are you saying that everything you ate during the cruise had no taste??? Have a hard time believing that:rolleyes:

We have been cruising since 1986 and have over 70 cruises on most of the cruise lines. HAL, Celebrity, RCI, NCL, Costa, MSC, Royal and Princess. In fact we have done over 40 cruises on Princess.

Yes, the food is not what it was 5 or 10 years ago. It has really been reduced in selection, quality and service. It is more like Banquet style. Like someone previously posted, the menus have changed very much. The selection has really slimmed down. The cost of cruising is much cheaper today than it was years ago. Food is very subjective.

We no longer cruise for the food, but for the enjoyment of cruising and visiting different places around the world.

The worst food we ever had on a cruise was on the MSC Lirica. We cruised on that ship twice and it was the same both times. Very poor food quality, selection and taste. They said that was Italian food, real Italian food. Sorry, it was not.

All cruise lines have cut back and there is a reason why, COST. You don't get the fancy dishes anymore. You have the Specialty restaurants that we not around and when they first came out they were free. HAL had the Marco Polo and it was excellent and free. We have even seen a difference in them, too.

Enjoy your cruise, it is your best bang for the $. Happy Thanksgiving.

The worst food we ever had on a cruise was on the MSC Lirica. We cruised on that ship twice and it was the same both times. Very poor food quality, selection and taste. They said that was Italian food, real Italian food. Sorry, it was not.

quote]

Twice! Wow! you were brave! We cruised Transatlantic about 5 years ago on the first time Lirica went to the US. One time only.

We thought the food was generally more or less OK, but we rarely received what we ordered as the waiters were inexperienced. They were Italian then, now they are international I am told. And better.

There wasn't enough flatware for the number of tables, and for 2200 pax there were 4 water jugs.

And the pizza was the worst we ever had on a ship. And Lirica is Italian!

But - we had a great time, and it was very inexpensive. And the crew were very nice.

Somehow we don't really feel the urge to try MSC again though.

But - we had a great time, and it was very inexpensive. And the crew were very nice.

Somehow we don't really feel the urge to try MSC again though.

The ship was really clean, well maintained and we were treated very good. The second time it was like we were family with many of the crew who knew us from the previous cruise. MSC needed to train their staff before they put them in the dining room. The headwaiters would shout at the waiters in front of the quests. The price was very very cheap. Apparently, MSC is totally different when you cruise overseas, not Caribbean.

Would we cruise MSC again? Still may if the price was right and the itinerary was to our liking. We would know what to order food wise.

Happy Cruising!

Archived