Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!

TLCOhio

Terry your cruise is very close so I imagine you are probably in final preparation mode. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time. Julie

Appreciate these kind wishes and this follow-up from Julie. Very nice!! Much of the planning and prep is done, but with so many different port stops and overnight trips, we still have a number of details to finish up. Looking forward to updating our Athens and Greece experiences. We will have our first stop at the Greek island of Rhodes. That looks very interesting. So many great islands and options to consider and do for this historic and interesting part of the world.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 212,963 views for this posting.

From the MSN cable/news late last month, they had this headline: 12 Facts About the Acropolis of Athens with these highlights: Situated on a rocky outcrop above Athens, Greece, the Acropolis is a citadel featuring some of the greatest architecture of the classical world. The most famous structure there is the Parthenon, a temple dedicated to the city’s patron goddess, Athena.

Among the 12 "facts" cited, here are three that were the most "news" for me:

1. First Built for Defense. From its central position above Athens, the Acropolis is perfectly positioned for strategic military defense—and its major initial structures were in fact focused on preparing for war. The ancient Mycenaeans built its first defensive wall in the 13th century BCE, which was the primary defense of the Acropolis for around eight centuries.

2. Iconic Buildings Constructed in Just a Few Decades. The most famed structures at the Acropolis—the Parthenon, the Erechtheion temple, the Propylaea gate, the Temple of Athena Nike—were all constructed over a few decades in the 5th century BCE. Fueled by the Athenians’ recent victory over the Persians, an ambitious building campaign was launched under the direction of the statesman Pericles.

3. Colossal Athena Presided over Acropolis. The Acropolis is the most complete surviving ancient Greek monumental complex, which is remarkable considering the centuries of natural disasters, war, and reconstruction. Much of its ornamentation and art is now gone. One of these losses is a colossal statue of Athena once located inside the Parthenon. Known as Athena Parthenos, it stood almost 40 feet tall and was made from gold and ivory.

Full story and the other nine points can be seen at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/12-facts-about-the-acropolis-of-athens/ar-BBNDx95

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,973 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

3. Colossal Athena Presided over Acropolis. The Acropolis is the most complete surviving ancient Greek monumental complex, which is remarkable considering the centuries of natural disasters, war, and reconstruction. Much of its ornamentation and art is now gone. One of these losses is a colossal statue of Athena once located inside the Parthenon. Known as Athena Parthenos, it stood almost 40 feet tall and was made from gold and ivory.

Hi Terry -- you can see one of the few existing copies (made in the 2nd century AD, during the time when Athens was part of the Roman empire) of the Athena Parthenos statue in the National Archaeological Museum in Athens. It is much smaller, of course, but they think it is a good representation of what the original would have looked like:

800px-NAMA_Ath%C3%A9na_Varvakeion.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Terry -- you can see one of the few existing copies (made in the 2nd century AD, during the time when Athens was part of the Roman empire) of the Athena Parthenos statue in the National Archaeological Museum in Athens. It is much smaller, of course, but they think it is a good representation of what the original would have looked like

Appreciate this great follow-up, details and visual from the always-helpful Cruisemom42. In June 2006, we enjoyed visiting the National Archaeological Museum in Athens. It is not a splash, new museum, but its contents are world-class and very interesting. I am sure we saw that statue when visiting there, but we did not understand its significance.

From the AP/Associated Press newswire in the past week, they had this headline: Greek strike to close Acropolis, other key sites on Oct. 11 with these highlights: A Greek union representing staff at the country’s ancient sites and state-run museums has called a 24-hour strike for Oct. 11. The protest is likely to close the ancient Acropolis in Athens that day along with multiple sites around Greece that are popular with tourists. The union announced the strike Thursday. It accused the Greek government of failing to list publicly-owned properties that have been transferred to a powerful privatization fund created during the country’s international bailouts.

Hopefully, we will not have to deal with any such union actions (or inactions) when in Athens Nov. 14-16.

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/66ea523074c04d2bbddc2bfe53e56d72/Greek-strike-to-close-Acropolis,-other-key-sites-on-Oct.-11

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 241,466 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 weeks later...

From the BBC in 2010, they had this headline: “Mini Guide to Rhodes”  with these highlights: “The largest of the Dodecanese islands, Rhodes shows the legacy of Crusaders, and Ottoman and Italian invaders in its UNESCO World Heritage-listed main town. Further afield, the whitewashed villages and beachside tavernas are quintessentially Greek.

Next month, Rhodes will be one of our stops as we head to the Holy Lands, Egypt, etc. First time to visit there.  Although Rhodes is not Athens, I thought I would share this article here.  Why?  If you are going to Athens, you also need to include some Greek island stops, too.  Also in this story on Rhodes, they said: "Enclosed within massive walls, Rhodes Old Town is a classic labyrinth of streets dating back to 14th-century Crusader times. The seven nations represented in the Knights' Quarter, as well as Ottoman and Jewish architecture, show the mix of influences in Rhodes's history.  The Palace of the Grand Masters was built by the 14th-century Knights of Rhodes, blown up in 1856, then rebuilt by the Italians as a holiday home for Mussolini."   

This BBC story was produced in connection with Lonely Planet publications.  Looking forward to sampling Rhodes. Full story at:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20100813-mini-guide-to-rhodes-greece 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 231,446 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 9:52 AM, TLCOhio said:

From the BBC in 2010, they had this headline: “Mini Guide to Rhodes”  with these highlights: “The largest of the Dodecanese islands, Rhodes shows the legacy of Crusaders, and Ottoman and Italian invaders in its UNESCO World Heritage-listed main town. Further afield, the whitewashed villages and beachside tavernas are quintessentially Greek.

. . .

We did a cruise to Greece and Turkey in 2008 (how time flies!).  We enjoyed all of the ports and Rhodes is certainly different from the other Greek islands we visited (Santorini, Mykonos) as the article points out, but it was still a very interesting place.  We also visited Ephesus and Istanbul in Turkey.  Glad we went when we did--before the Greek economy tanked and before Erdogan came to world notice although I think he was running the country even back in 2008.  Enjoy what sounds like a very momentous cruise! 

On 10/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, BarbinMich said:

We did a cruise to Greece and Turkey in 2008 (how time flies!).  We enjoyed all of the ports and Rhodes is certainly different from the other Greek islands we visited (Santorini, Mykonos) as the article points out, but it was still a very interesting place.  We also visited Ephesus and Istanbul in Turkey.  Glad we went when we did--before the Greek economy tanked and before Erdogan came to world notice although I think he was running the country even back in 2008.  Enjoy what sounds like a very momentous cruise! 

Appreciate your nice info, comments and follow-up.  Great insights for Rhodes!!!  We are looking forward to seeing this island with its unique history for the first time later this month. Yes, the Turkish "situation" has become more challenging.  Fortunately in 2006, we were able to explore Istanbul, Ephesus, Bodrum, etc.  Will be interesting for visiting Athens for the first since June 2006.  Lots has happened there, good and bad, during the past decade.  We are hoping for the best with the Greek nation and its future. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 43,029 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

On 11/2/2018 at 1:38 PM, singinalot said:

I will look forward to your thoughts on Rhodes when you return. We'll be going there next year on the Jewel of the Seas

Your "I said yes" thread was so helpful to me as you'd posted it in the weeks prior to our own cruise; thanks!

My review has now been posted and you can scroll down to find what I wrote about Rhodes if you'd like:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=637845

7 hours ago, cruiser123! said:

Terry, I love your posts!  I've used quite a few of them for ideas as I start planning our Mediterranean Adventure (2020!).  Looking forward to your next trip report!

Appreciate these various. very good comments/follow-ups from cruiser123!, singinalot and cinesage.  Very nice and helpful.  Getting close to next Tuesday when we depart for Athens and starting our "adventure" from Athens to Dubai.  Lots to do to be ready, making our packing work/fit, etc.  Look forward to having new visuals and details from being in Athens, Greece, etc.  YES, will capture much from our first visit to Rhodes.  Will share  more for how and where for linking to my live/blog, etc.  As we travel, don't be shy in posting any questions, info needs, sharing your tips and suggestions, etc.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 38,781 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Now getting ready to fly to London Heathrow and then on to Athens, Greece.  Will be starting Nov. 16 with our twenty-day Oceania Nautica cruise from Athens to Dubai. Looking forward to our first stops in Cyprus, Jerusalem, Egypt, Luxor/Valley of the Kings, Petra, Oman and then the UAE.  Will do a live/blog with lots of visuals.  It will be on the Oceania CC Board to start later this week.  Will post a link later.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 15, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 215,065 views.

From the Admirals Club at O'Hare, below is our view for one of the Boeing 787 jets that we will be flying soon.  In the distance at the right, you can see the famed Chicago downtown with its many high-rises.  Super sunny here in Chicago.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

IMG_3044.thumb.jpg.06166ab1e89a86aae8f5f27c8f99c204.jpg

On 11/14/2018 at 4:44 AM, bennybear said:

Looking forward to tagging along. Bon voyage! 

Appreciate the nice, above follow-up from bennybear.  Will try to do my best.  Did make it through London Heathrow yesterday and arrived last night in Athens, Greece.  Things were smooth and good for Terminals 3 & 5, British Airways, flights, luggage, etc.  Enjoyed some excellent Greek beer and food last night, plus saw a few historic sights.  Below is some photographic "evidence".  More later.  On the way today to see the ancient site of "Delphi".  This location and trip has been strongly suggested.  We look forward to experience the unique history and settings at Delphi.  Will talk to the Gods there about fixing all of the world's challenges and issues.  And, ask that "it" be done soon!!

Sydney to NZ/Auckland adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under”wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 15, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 215,147 views. 

Below is flying over Heathrow's Terminal 5 as we de departed London for Greece with British Airways.  Second is the sun setting as we approached Athens.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)CMY_6471.thumb.jpg.6871e728390354b8f5b7937d23638153.jpg

CMY_6497.thumb.jpg.0183d9ca260b161ed92a9411f98a8bc0.jpg

YES is for good Greek beer and a nice seafood dish in the Plaka area of historic Athens.:

IMG_3080.thumb.jpg.3552bfa8956f4dd2a0611bd743e6bb27.jpg

IMG_3083.thumb.jpg.f6a8e9341a4ab970ba44dc9ac7b48fcb.jpg

Plus, a small sampling of historic sights and sites last night in Athens near our hotel in the Plaka area.:

CMY_6553.thumb.jpg.0711e232bfc5f8c20578859a83d1b045.jpg

CMY_6528.thumb.jpg.42864ec6c669523548289878ab318172.jpg

Here is a little more sampling from being in Athens last night.  As always, lots of history, character and style for in and around the Plaka area. 

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 39,012  views.

Here is where we dined last night. Athens or Athina Bistrot!!  Great food and hospitality.  Below are two of the super nice and friendly staff there.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_6550.thumb.jpg.368d164a10988b5289c5ebc06a6ca29f.jpg

Here is a night view for our AVA Hotel where we are returning to as our "home" while in Athens.  Love their great location and super helpful staff.  Second is a picture of the Acropolis lighted at night as seen from the roof of our hotel.:

CMY_6535.thumb.jpg.4752ea001ebb2d765627f7cd7fb2de47.jpg

CMY_6519.thumb.jpg.03c83a3ba1d9b9d927bda52a4d7c3915.jpg

Here are a couple of typical views from other dining and shopping options in and around the Plaka.  Lots of charm and character in the Plaka!!  But, cool last night as things were not that busy or crowded.:

CMY_6560.thumb.jpg.e2403059179bb360ed999ba9cf00c8a4.jpg

CMY_6538.thumb.jpg.15d4720620e2dc628e54e0986867f09a.jpg

• Like 2

Terri, thanks for the photos and restaurant tips. You may remember we will be staying AVA hotel in July so this is very handy for us. I will look forward to your comments on the "Ancient site of Delphi". I am still undecided about doing Dephi this trip as we only really have 2.5 days in Athens prior to our cruise. Your review may help me decide.

marazul, I will also put your recommendation aside for ManiMani.

marazul, I never have thanked you for your tips re Paris. I found your recommendations helpful and used your fois gras tips for our picnic on the Paris to Barcelona train. I used an insulated lunch pack with cold bricks I had frozen in the apartment's freezer prior. We decided to pass on the alcohol as preferred to keep our wit's about us. It made the wine we had in Barcelona that evening all the better.

Julie

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Terri, thanks for the photos and restaurant tips. You may remember we will be staying AVA hotel in July so this is very handy for us. I will look forward to your comments on the "Ancient site of Delphi". I am still undecided about doing Dephi this trip as we only really have 2.5 days in Athens prior to our cruise. Your review may help me decide.  marazul, I will also put your recommendation aside for ManiMani.Julie

YES, appreciate these nice follow-ups and kind comments/sharing.  Did not make it to the very good suggested dining location from marazul.  One member of our party has some mobility challenges and we went closer to the more nearby "The Old Tavern of Psaras".  It was a wonderful setting with super excellent food.  Will have more details and visuals later when I get the live/blog started in two to three days on the Oceania CC Board.  Wonderfully enjoying the Greek good, beer and hospitality. 

We are now completing our last day in Athens, Greece, and getting ready to board Oceania's Nautica ship for the first time later today.  We have a busy port schedule with three islands (Patmos, Rhodes and Cyprus) in the next three days before arriving in Israel for two days to see Jerusalem for the first time   

At the strong suggestion by several on the Cruise Critic boards, especially to the credit of cruisemom42, we traveled to Delphi yesterday and were blessed with such a great series of "history" lessons for these many important periods in Greek history, why there is such major importance related to this site, etc.  Very fascinating and highly informative!!!  Did not realize the connections 2500 years ago between the Greeks and Egypt's great historic periods.  Plus, so, so much more.  It takes a little time and effort to reach Delphi, but there is no doubt that it is worth the time in going to this site.  Lots of amazing history from the Greeks and what they gave to us in culture, government structure, athletics, food, etc.  For Julie, there is so much to do and see in Athens.  For us in making our second trip back to Greece, the day-trip to Delphi was a sure-fired winner, especially when traveling with a skilled driver/guide.  At Delphi, the 100 euro cost for a private guide set up in advance was so worth it in order to understand how and why all of this history and artistic achievement fits together.  And connects to today!!!

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 79,227 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

It was a beautiful, sunny day at Delphi, the famed historic site about two-and-a-half hours north of Athens.  Amazing setting in the mountains, overlooking the olive trees and nearby sea.  Great learning experiences with our expert driver (Alex D.) from George's Taxi and Georgios, our knowledgeable guide at Delphi.  Despite other countries stealing so much from Greece over the centuries, there are still many great treasures left there to see and enjoy in this country.:

CMY_6642.thumb.jpg.457e010e9b796e5d19796d0c98dfaffd.jpg

CMY_6596.thumb.jpg.1be9643cc7a3a650ec5aa0ae42bc666b.jpg

CMY_6706.thumb.jpg.bfdc2ae76a02d479e4cf96b7fa0c2d38.jpg

CMY_6631.thumb.jpg.d3613622921d6738c612d9e78daed096.jpg

CMY_6611.thumb.jpg.a7d4d4054748a01c23f7a7bd67a0e7e4.jpg

CMY_6602.thumb.jpg.88755de29967250acb020a0419aa5e9a.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Terri, thanks for the photos and restaurant tips. You may remember we will be staying AVA hotel in July so this is very handy for us. I will look forward to your comments on the "Ancient site of Delphi". I am still undecided about doing Dephi this trip as we only really have 2.5 days in Athens prior to our cruise. Your review may help me decide.

marazul, I will also put your recommendation aside for ManiMani.

marazul, I never have thanked you for your tips re Paris. I found your recommendations helpful and used your fois gras tips for our picnic on the Paris to Barcelona train. I used an insulated lunch pack with cold bricks I had frozen in the apartment's freezer prior. We decided to pass on the alcohol as preferred to keep our wit's about us. It made the wine we had in Barcelona that evening all the better.

Julie

Julie,

I am very glad you enjoyed your picnic!

I second Terri's suggestion for the The Old Tavern of Psaras.  Beautiful outdoor setting over the Plaka streets and excellent fish.  Completely different ambiance and food from ManiMani.  Do try both.

I will also recommend going to Delphi.  It is a magical place.  

You are probably deciding between Corinth-Mycenae and Delphi.  If you have an early arrival in Athens and not much problems with jetlag, you can probably go to Corinth and Mycenae the day you arrive (if that is your .5 day)

Planning is fun.

• Like 1

Hi Terry -- it certainly looks like you had a beautiful day in Delphi. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, it is really a fascinating place and the siting is gorgeous. I'll be following along for the rest of your journey and hoping all continues to be an interesting and fun experience.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Terry -- it certainly looks like you had a beautiful day in Delphi. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, it is really a fascinating place and the siting is gorgeous. I'll be following along for the rest of your journey and hoping all continues to be an interesting and fun experience.

Yes, we had a super beautiful day at Delphi.  Sure glad that we visited there.  As mentioned, I give all of the credit to cruisemom42 for pushing us to consider and do this wise and fascinating day there.   Keep up the great sharing by bennybear and Julie.  Have many more visuals and details to share from our most recent visit to Athens, etc.  

Last week, we completed our Jerusalem/Holy Lands, Egypt/Valley of the Kings,Petra/Jordan, Oman, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, etc., exploring.  To see the trip live/blog for this history and religious “adventure”, check out these postings linked below.  We started in Athens, Greece on Nov. 14, then traveled various locations connected with three of the world's major religions.  Many fun and interesting visuals on this live/blog!!  Below are just a few, quick visual samples.    Check it out and let me know any questions or comments.  Just over 6000 views so far on this live/blog. 

Connect to our latest exploring at: 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 2:40 PM, bennybear said:

Wow Terri!  Wow!  What a terrific trip,  you covered a lot of places on my bucket list.  I would so like to see Petra, and Egypt and Israel.   Thanks for the amazing pictures!  Let me know when you will be in Alberta! 

Appreciate this kind follow-up from our "neighbor" to the north in Canada.  Yes, you need to go and visit Petra, Egypt, Israel, etc.  Well worth the effort to do and see!!  Amazing history, sights, culture, people, etc.  

We depart July 16 at 7 am for Calgary, doing Banff, Jasper, the Rocky Mountaineer rail trip through the western Canada mountains, etc.  Now less than six month away until we depart for our first visit to these parts of the west, going to Alaska, etc.  

Have many more interesting pictures and details to share from our second visit to Athens and Greece.  Stay tuned!!.  Coming soon!! 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 62,699 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry, it has taken so long to follow-up and post more from what we experienced during our wonderful Athens and Greece visit in November before commencing our Middle East adventure.  

First, here is a small sampling from visiting the new Acropolis Museum.  This museum has different winter versus summer hours.  Check in advance.  Their website is shown below.   The museum was built to house artifacts found on the rock and on the surrounding slopes, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. It also lies over the ruins of a part of Roman and early Byzantine Athens.  The museum opened to the public on June 20, 2009.  Nearly 4,000 objects are exhibited over an area of 150,000 square feet.

We also did see here a special exhibit titled "From the Forbidden City: Imperial Apartments of Qianlong".  It was there until February 14, 2019.  Not too large but worth the time to see and experience their culture and style.  This exhibit highlights China's Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799).  These artifacts represent over 100 years of Chinese culture of the 18th century.

For more information, check at: 

https://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acropolis_Museum

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From this new Acropolis Museum, there is the look of the modern entrance areas.  BUT, as they were digging and building this structure, they encountered old, historic ruins.  They unearthed these findings and allow an ability to see these as you enter this new museum.:

244333993_CMY_675715.jpg.38e361f2cd2b8cfdd4efeaf32aa24316.jpg

423153831_CMY_675916.jpg.caffeb33be7122d4831535ad34864f9e.jpg

From this museum with its great location, here are a couple of views of the top of the nearby Acropolis.  We had breakfast here and enjoyed the super views from this museum of the Acropolis.:

361786129_CMY_678317.jpg.0bd089e85d5ee2a82bafe681d8a6ba22.jpg

968531405_CMY_677018.jpg.68ebcd22f0257f475e473861469b6b61.jpg

Below are three interior views from this museum.  It is very open and roomy!!  Lots of glass and views of the nearby city and it's attractions.  They don't want you taking pictures of the interior items, but sometimes my camera would go off, accidentally, kind of, right?.  In the old museum, there were no limits in taking pictures of the collection.:

1579291159_CMY_678719.jpg.2baf1c7104881084b30df2328a6fd9c5.jpg

1062725080_CMY_67921.jpg.c2d6ca4b0d20dbea15f91f8eeaf79ff7.jpg

389648881_CMY_679510.jpg.0c301c4a4c59127a5ab0dd7b9f8fef2b.jpg

In the museum lobby, here is one of the classic examples from their wide-ranging collection.:

1834752917_CMY_68202.thumb.jpg.26ad08a9bdeb1d32db1b8d2a5eeeb332.jpg

From at and near the Acropolis Museum, below are a few more visuals to share.  More to come from our second and very enjoyable visit to Athens.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 27,994 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is another view of the underground "digs" found as they were building this new museum.:

447493437_CMY_68219.jpg.e43dcffe20197e4f914bb15e08e77250.jpg

As we were exiting the Acropolis Museum, here is the Greek flag flying high with the strong winds that day.  Second is one of the street musicians playing nearby.  All part of the Greek experience!!:

730938375_CMY_68258.jpg.37e14289d7accab4a315b87f7f220586.jpg

1329348608_CMY_68297.thumb.jpg.a4bf228237c124ca763d271432c9028c.jpg