FCO Question

notentirelynormal

I’ve never flown out of FCO before and have been doing some reading here on CC which only opens me up to more questions. So, words of wisdom from the All Knowing would be appreciated.

I’m flying AA business class (not sure if that makes a difference) from ROM to JFK to LAX. The flight departs at 10:00 am on a Wednesday.

What is the latest I should arrive at the airport?

Our ship arrives at 4:00 am but obviously we won’t be off at that time. What time would you suggest the car pick us up at?

Well, RIL suggested a 7:00 am pickup, I told them I preferred 6:00 am because I'd rather caution on the side of waiting at the airport or crying in the car LOL. If I want a thrill ride, I'll go to Disneyland. I just wasn't sure how soon we needed to officially check-in in Rome and how easy it was.

FCO can be chaotic. When things go smoothly, 2 hours is enough. But all too often they do not go smoothly. Between check in (usually very s-l-o-w), security, shuttle to gate, etc., it can take a while.

2.5 hours is the minimum time allowance I'd feel comfortable with. I'm sure others may post they've made it in less time, but I prefer not to board the aircraft hyperventilating.....:D

My DH is the worst airport person EVER! At least I finally got him to quit wearing his ski jacket when we flew. He'd get searched so much, cos DUH who wears a fluffy ski jacket. He looked like the blue marshmallow man from Ghost Busters. And he's had me running through airports to hurry to check in. I mean we only had 3 hours before flight time. I much prefer to get there and wait and wait then to cut it close for many reasons, part of which I would rather people watch and relax with a drink then be the one sweating it still in line.

Two hours didn't sound like enough time to me so glad I asked.

A few items. Please check with the cruise line about what time you can get off the ship. This item comes up on this board often. I would never recommend taking such an early flight.

You need to allow one hour to arrive to the airport. Yes, it might take less time but better to be safe than sorry.

Because it is an international flight you must be there two hours before your flight. But this airport is one of the most chaotic we have been to.

Are you flying business class? If you have to stand on a line for coach be prepared for long lines.

I would get to the airport 2 1/2 hours before your flight.

So, this says you need to be in the car by 6:30 AM.

Be sure to confirm with the cruise line if this is doable.

Keith

I agree that 2 1/2 hrs ahead would be a good amount of time. You might do it with 2 hrs but why take the chance? I counted 5 separate places where they checked passports at that airport:

checking in

security

bus to departure terminal

departure gate

door of plane

A few items. Please check with the cruise line about what time you can get off the ship. This item comes up on this board often. I would never recommend taking such an early flight.

You need to allow one hour to arrive to the airport. Yes, it might take less time but better to be safe than sorry.

Because it is an international flight you must be there two hours before your flight. But this airport is one of the most chaotic we have been to.

Are you flying business class? If you have to stand on a line for coach be prepared for long lines.

I would get to the airport 2 1/2 hours before your flight.

So, this says you need to be in the car by 6:30 AM.

Be sure to confirm with the cruise line if this is doable.

Keith

We are flying business. I was hoping that that factor would help us. Yea!

RIL had suggested at 7am pickup and I asked her to change to to 6am so I wanted to make sure I wasn't being nuts and it sounds like I made a good move.

Hopefully since I'll have a private transfer that too will help in my getting to the right place, and crazy man won't be as bad.

I'm actually checking to see what time others have been able to get off the ship and I heard that the first time off was 5:45 so this plan looks like its coming together.

You will be fine. You'll be leaving from the new T5 terminal, which is a lot less chaotic than the old set up.

From the port to the airport, at that hour of the morning, is about an hour, maybe a little less. A six AM departure puts you at the airport three hours before your flight, more than enough. If that's American's first flight of the day from FCO, there's a chance that you'll be at the terminal before the check-in desks are even open.

You will check in, check luggage, clear passport control and security all in the new terminal. After security, you'll board a bus that takes you out to the pod where the departure gates are. There you'll find shops, one restaurant and the airline clubs. Unfortunately, I don't think American has a club at FCO, but perhaps they have a sharing arrangement that will allow you to use someone else's.

I will be the contrarian and say that two hours with the new set-up at the airport is plenty. Arriving at the airport by 8 AM is fine.

Three hours is a mistake; simply way too long to hang around there, particularly because most of the shops are the "Gucci/Pucci" variety with one bookstore and one food shop only, and no "souvenir" shops. How about compromising on 2-1/2 hours?

BTW, the odd thing about the departure terminal is that you cannot obtain a newspaper anywhere in that vast area, not even at the one bookstore. Never in my life have I encountered that at an airport.

• 3 weeks later...

How "new" is the new terminal? We flew on AA out of Rome in May, 08, and our wonderful driver deposited us at the wrong terminal and left. We had to then schlep all our luggage by airport bus to the right terminal. I want to make sure I get it right this time!

How "new" is the new terminal? We flew on AA out of Rome in May, 08, and our wonderful driver deposited us at the wrong terminal and left. We had to then schlep all our luggage by airport bus to the right terminal. I want to make sure I get it right this time!

It opened sometime in 2008, I can't remember exactly. I know that by December 2008, when I was last there, the driver knew exactly where I should be dropped off.

I've heard other people with regular taxis say they got dropped at an incorrect location at FCO similar to what you experienced.

We flew out of FCO a month ago. I'd say the way to be dropped off at the correct location is to hire an excellent car service such as RomeCabs. You tell them the airline and where you are flying to and they know where you need to be. They depend on satisfied customers and word-of-mouth to others.

Caladvoc8:

Are you flying in from Washington DC on United, or codesharing a flight? As mentioned, if it is a United airplane going to the US, it will be Terminal 5.

However, if it is codeshared- in our case on a Lufthansa plane going to Frankfurt, then getting on a United Airplane in Frankfurt to fly to SFO, it will not be Terminal 5- more likely Terminal 1.

eueo cruiser, CruiserBruce: Thanks for input. Exclusively United flights to and from FCO and Sacramento via Washington, D.C.and Dallas stopovers. "Codesharing" new term to me. The more I utilize CC, the more I learn! Wonderfully helpful.

Codesharing is when you can go from one place to another on, say a Lufthansa plane, but that flight has United flight number. (As well, obviously, a Lufthansa flight number). This occurs in airline partnerships, where one airline is selling tickets/seats on a partner's flights.

Becoming more and more common in today's airline relationships.

In our case, that makes our SFO-FRA (on United) and FRA-FCO (on Lufthansa) trip appear to be one seamless booking. But the flight from FRA to FCO on Lufthansa is actually a domestic (in the European sense)flight, so we don't go into, or out of, the "International" terminal (Terminal 5)at FCO.

• 7 months later...

Hi Euro cruiser:

We have a 9:45 a.m. Delta flight out of Terminal 5. We are traveling via Rome Cabs with pick up scheduled for 6:15 a.m.. Do they drop you off at Terminal 5 for check in or do we have to take a shuttle to Terminal 5?

Best Regards,

Wavefairy

They will take you right to Terminal 5. They do know that flights to the US leave from terminal 5, but they will also confirm with you your departure airline, etc. There must be about four or five steps to checking in at Terminal 5, none of which take that long, although it depends upon the lines at each place. Once you are through all of that, you get on a bus to the main terminal, which is quite nice. Lots of shops, etc.

Wavefairy, the previous post has it right, your driver should know to take you to Terminal 5, but it never hurts to confirm that with them.

At T5, in the first room you'll line up so they can check your passport and ask the "did you pack your luggage yourself" questions. From there you proceed to room two, where you will check in for your flight and drop off your luggage. Then it's on to passport control, and from there to security in room three. After security you board the bus to the departure gates pod, where the shops are.

Your timing should be just about on the money. If you leave promptly at 6:15 you should be at the terminal at 7:00 AM (or shortly thereafter).

Thanks Euro cruiser and Softball 20 for the information on the trip to Terminal 5 at FCO from the port. Now we will hope there are no glitches getting off the ship. The Star Princess docks at 4 a.m. but that of course does not mean we are off the ship that early either!

Best Regards,

Wavefairy

Archived