Royal Caribbean and their “My time dining”.

footzz

Royal Caribbean recently added “My time dining” as a dining option. This dining option requires you to "pre pay" your gratuities. What we experienced was that their program is NOT really “My time dining”, it is RESERVATION time dining.

Their website explains it as such: “By selecting My Time Dining, you can choose to dine in our main dining room between the hours of 6:00 – 9:30 pm (times vary by ship). Then once onboard your ship, you will have the convenience and flexibility to select the perfect dining time for each day of your cruise vacation.”

I should have been more vigilant in reading the description and figured out that what they really meant was reservations were required for a specific seating time. This was real disappointment. What made is even less agreeable was the long wait times we experienced after we showed up for our reservation. RCCL had a very small area set aside for MTD, and this was on a Voyager class ship.

We felt their definition of “My time dining” to be dubious at best, especially compared to other lines that offer this option. I’ve expressed my displeasure to RCCL with what they are billing as “My time dining” and was wondering if other CC members have experienced this and how you feel about it.

Actually, you don't HAVE to make reservations if you're signed up for MTD... you can just show up and be seated when a table is available. But--you do have to be signed up for MTD...folks with "traditional" dining can't use MTD.

If you want to guarantee that you will be seated immediately, you should stick with traditional dining....when they open the doors....you sit down!

I can not say that I shared your experience. I do know that MTD does not mean just walk in whenever you choose. Perhaps, that is why I did not have a bad experience, nor did I ever wait in line. At the beginning of my last cruise (11 nights), I told them I wanted to eat every night at 7:30. They made it a standing time for me for the entire cruise. Every night, they took dw and I to the very same 2-top table.

MTD is still a new concept for RCI, and other cruise lines. As it grows in popularity, they will need to expand the program to better accommodate everyone.

I've used MTD on two of the Freedom class ships.

We loved it each time. We just showed up and they had the same table ready every night even though we dined at different times. Maybe we just got lucky, but this same thing happened on our first cruise, too. We never waited in any lines. I'm sure that ocassionaly waiting to be seated occurs, but that should be expected if you choose MTD.

My experience with MTD involved no reservations. We just showed up - different times each night. I've only tried MTD once so far, but I was very happy with it. They made an attempt to seat us in the same section with the same waitstaff each night, regardless of what time we showed up. We never waited more than two minutes. I LOVE MTD.

We used MTD on Explorer on 4 of 5 nights on our sailing. 3 of those nights we just walked in...no reservations...and were seated without waiting. 1 night we were told "come back in an hour". :eek: I asked if that meant we had a reservation in an hour and was told, no, if you want a reservation it will be 2 hours. I was not happy with this. When I protested, they said ok, come back in an hour and you will have a reservation then. :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
Royal Caribbean recently added “My time dining” as a dining option. This dining option requires you to "pre pay" your gratuities. What we experienced was that their program is NOT really “My time dining”, it is RESERVATION time dining.

Their website explains it as such: “By selecting My Time Dining, you can choose to dine in our main dining room between the hours of 6:00 – 9:30 pm (times vary by ship). Then once onboard your ship, you will have the convenience and flexibility to select the perfect dining time for each day of your cruise vacation.”

I should have been more vigilant in reading the description and figured out that what they really meant was reservations were required for a specific seating time. This was real disappointment. What made is even less agreeable was the long wait times we experienced after we showed up for our reservation. RCCL had a very small area set aside for MTD, and this was on a Voyager class ship.

We felt their definition of “My time dining” to be dubious at best, especially compared to other lines that offer this option. I’ve expressed my displeasure to RCCL with what they are billing as “My time dining” and was wondering if other CC members have experienced this and how you feel about it.

I also am very confused as to what MTD is all about. I thought it was come and eat when you please, but I had to choose a 7:30 reservation??? Does not make sense.

I am sailing Enchantment in May. What ship were you sailing?

I also am very confused as to what MTD is all about. I thought it was come and eat when you please, but I had to choose a 7:30 reservation??? Does not make sense.

I am sailing Enchantment in May. What ship were you sailing?

When we did MTD on AOS 2 years ago, we didn't have to make reservations. We just showed up when we were ready to eat and were usually seated within 10 minutes. We ate between 6:30 & 7:30 every night and got our same waiters (our request) each night but one. Maybe something changed in the last 2 years? Or maybe that is just how they choose to do it on Enchantment? Wish I could be of more help. Have you posted this question o the Royal Caribbean boards? I'm sure someone there will be able to tell you definitively.

It hasn't changed, it's still either (a) make a reservation for when you want, or (b) show up and wait to be seated. The earlier you get there, the less the wait - usually. I've never had a problem just showing up between 6 and 6:30 - never had to wait. Love it. Love the flexibility.

They do try to "encourage" you to make reservations but seriously, you don't have to.

This is a good description of My Time Dining. You can choose your own reservation time. If you'd like to eat early on Monday, but late on Tuesday, you have that flexibility. I don't see a problem with the name or the description.

We loved My Time Dining and will never sail with traditional dining again. We make reservations most of the time, but when we just show up, it's never been a long wait for us.

I have the same issue. I had to pay up front gratituity for my time dinning.. It looks like it is going to be late in the night since the only available spots are close to 9 pm. I am traveling with 2 children and not too happy with it

We've used MyTime dining twice, both on the Navigator of the Seas with no problems. normally, we just showed up when we wanted to eat and were seated very quickly.

You may need reservations during the most popular times (6:30-7:30?ish); we normally prefer to eat at 8 or later. A couple of times when we knew we wanted a particular time, due to some show or activity we wanted to go to, we just called in and made a reservation that day. It worked perfectly for us.

On our second cruise we were traveling with 7 grandchildren; technically we did have MyTime dining, but with kids we wanted to eat early. We went the first night and were sat in a nice round table for the nine of us about 6. Every night after that we went about the same time and had the same table. They just saved it for us--we didn't even call in.

With a child, if you want to eat early, I'd either call and ask for a time or ask the first night.

I have not been on the Oasis, so that may be different. It also helps if you are willing to share a table or have a table for two--seems to cut down wait times to be flexible.

I can not say that I shared your experience. I do know that MTD does not mean just walk in whenever you choose. Perhaps, that is why I did not have a bad experience, nor did I ever wait in line. At the beginning of my last cruise (11 nights), I told them I wanted to eat every night at 7:30. They made it a standing time for me for the entire cruise. Every night, they took dw and I to the very same 2-top table.

MTD is still a new concept for RCI, and other cruise lines. As it grows in popularity, they will need to expand the program to better accommodate everyone.

IF you ate at the same time and at the same table every night, how was this any different from traditional dining?

IF you ate at the same time and at the same table every night, how was this any different from traditional dining?

The only difference I see is that they choose their preferred time (7:30) rather than the set times, 5:45, 6:00, 8:30, or whatever, that the cruise line sets up for traditional dining.

If the traditional hours don't work for you, then MyTime, or whatever its name is on other ships, is a great option--we love it, but we are flexible and not set on any particular time or table size.

It's different because you can choose the time (hence My Time). For some, 6 is too early and 8:30 is too late, so they e;ect My Time and eat when it is suitable for them.

Archived