New to RCCL

bobby1119

I am taking my first RCCL cruise on Explorer of the Seas in January. I was wondering if there are mini refrigerators in the balcony staterooms.

In terms of dress, what percentage of the men wear a tuxedo as opposed to those who wear a suit on the evenings that are designated as formal.

Thanks for the help.

The balcony rooms do have mini-fridges. It will probably be stocked with water, soda, candy, etc., but if you don't want them, just ask your cabin attendant to remove them so you have space.

Tuxedos are in the minority. Most men are wearing suits these days. For the ladies, it runs the gammut - some will opt for long formal dresses, others cocktail dresses or very dressy pants suits.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your cruise and take advantage of all that Explorer has to offer!

Yes, you'll have a small "cube" fridge in your cabin.

As far as tuxes....it depends on the sailing, but a good number of men will follow the suggested dress requirements...on most of our cruises (longer than 5 days!) it's about 40% in tuxes, 40% in dark suits and 20% in "other".....

Interesting. I've been on over 30 RCI cruises and I have never seen anywhere near 40% of men in tuxes! Maybe 10% on some cruises. I don't believe I saw any my last cruise on Liberty. I do love it when Scots wear their kilts or military men wear their dress uniforms.

we just got off Explorer last week......i didn't see that many tuxes--maybe 20% if that.....mostly just suits.

Also, although i've never used one, i have heard that the little fridges in the room don't get that cold.....

enjoy! i have lots of new pix if you click the link below in my signature!

have fun! (BTW bring a coat and stuff to layer, it may be chilly the first and last couple days!)

As far as tuxes....it depends on the sailing, but a good number of men will follow the suggested dress requirements...on most of our cruises (longer than 5 days!) it's about 40% in tuxes, 40% in dark suits and 20% in "other".....

My DH always wears his tux and I would agree that the percentages above are pretty accurate on 7 nights or longer cruises.

Kathy:)

Also, although i've never used one, i have heard that the little fridges in the room don't get that cold.....

The fridges are inside a cabinet, if you prop the door open some that will allow the condenser to cool off better, allowing the inside to cool off and keep your drinks cold instead of just cool.

Interesting. I've been on over 30 RCI cruises and I have never seen anywhere near 40% of men in tuxes! Maybe 10% on some cruises. I don't believe I saw any my last cruise on Liberty. I do love it when Scots wear their kilts or military men wear their dress uniforms.

Every time my wife catches one of those Scots on the staircase, she always has to let me know if he was authentic. (you know, nothing worn under the kilt) I keep telling her, "that's information I really didn't need to know". :)

40% - No way!

We're Diamond and have never seen a percentage like that.

From my experience, 5% would be on the high end.

Guest maddycat
The fridges are inside a cabinet, if you prop the door open some that will allow the condenser to cool off better, allowing the inside to cool off and keep your drinks cold instead of just cool.

Thanks for the tip about keeping the door open. We'll have to try that on our next cruise.

Guest maddycat
40% - No way!

We're Diamond and have never seen a percentage like that.

From my experience, 5% would be on the high end.

I agree.

I haven't seen 40% since the early 90s.

On my Nov. Liberty cruise, I'd say it was 15%, maybe 20%. MANY men wore dark suits. The men in tuxes stood out...but in a GOOD way!!!!!! Yum.

Ok amybeth4, I have been wondering if I should continue dressing in my tux. I think you just made my decision for me. Bon Appetite :)

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

The cruise on which I am booked is 12 days, sailing from NY (Cape Liberty). Does the length of the cruise increase the likelihood of a greater percentage of tuxedos being worn?

I am excited about my first cruise with this line. Any suggestions about Explorer will be most welcomed and appreciated.

Ok amybeth4, I have been wondering if I should continue dressing in my tux. I think you just made my decision for me. Bon Appetite :)

lol! I'm happy to help you in your decision. Believe me, no matter what you look like, your rating shoots up QUITE a few points by simply putting on a tux. ;)

Maybe if you told us when on what ships you cruise it would help us all understand how you post so many replies but have such a history of inaccurate posts. I don't know anyone who would put the percentage that high for tuxes -- on any RCCL ship.

The cruise on which I am booked is 12 days, sailing from NY (Cape Liberty). Does the length of the cruise increase the likelihood of a greater percentage of tuxedos being worn?

I am excited about my first cruise with this line. Any suggestions about Explorer will be most welcomed and appreciated.

Maybe if you told us when on what ships you cruise it would help us all understand how you post so many replies but have such a history of inaccurate posts. I don't know anyone who would put the percentage that high for tuxes -- on any RCCL ship.

Do you have signatures turned off? I can see a complete list of bobby's cruises.

To be brutally honest, bobby, after all of those cruises with Cunard, you may be more than a bit disappointed in the Explorer. The ship itself has many wonderful activities, but the food will be nowhere near what you have experienced on the Queens.

Do you have signatures turned off? I can see a complete list of bobby's cruises.

No, that remark was in response to cb at sea - she does not have her cruises listed.

OP, what is it exactly that you are concerned about regarding tuxes? Do you want to wear yours (or your hubby wants to wear his)? Wear a tux or a suit, whatever you prefer.

To be brutally honest, bobby, after all of those cruises with Cunard, you may be more than a bit disappointed in the Explorer. The ship itself has many wonderful activities, but the food will be nowhere near what you have experienced on the Queens.

I am going with an open mind and know that the overall experience will be a different one, not better, not worse, just different. I just love ships and being at sea, and the convenience of a ship leaving out of NY during the winter was very appealing to me. I have heard many fine things about Explorer.

Thanks for your help!:)

^ bobby1119, those great things you've heard about Explorer are completely warranted. We have sailed twice on Explorer, and the second time it was like coming home. It was fabulous. The art collection alone will blow your mind, plus the Royal Promenade and all the shops AND the atrium overlooking the Promenade are absolutely awe-inspiring, IMO. That is the "WOW!" factor for us - Voyager-class ships and larger are amazing.

And the food was great, no complaints! I also think it's what you make it; if you enjoy good food that is served to you, and you don't have to clean up or do the dishes, I think you'll enjoy RCI! :p

Have fun!! :D

My DH is a refrigeration man (among other things also :) ), and he says to cool the refrigerator leave the door open, as others have posted. We have made jello (vodka jello shooters) in our refrigerator and they were perfect! If you don't open the door, the heat gets trapped inside and the heat keeps the refrigerator warm. On all our cruises our refrigerator was as cool as ours at home, thanks to DH making sure that the refrigator door is kept open.

Generally the longer the cruise, the older the average passenger [passenger ages also vary considerably depending on whether school is in session].

I would guess [with less certainty than the previous statement] that older passengers probably result in a higher percentage of Tux.

Thom

We're booked on the same cruise! I myself am debating if it would be better off to rent a tux instead of bringing a suit. I have rented one once before, and it was great not to have to pack a suit. The tuxedo was brought to the room on the first day.

Join us on the roll call! We've already got enough people for a Meet and Mingle.

Archived