New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

It makes me smile when I see people complaining about this new rule in advance for a 7 or 10 day cruise starting in weeks or months.

I am leaving from Canada tomorrow for a 114 days World cruise. And I have managed to put in my size acceptable computer bag, my small laptop, my pouch of jewellery, my cameras, my Ipod, my papers, my wallet, a lipstik and powder, all my 5 prescribed medecines and vitamins supply for 116 days, etc, I still have room for a sandwich or 2 and a granola. I am on a 3.5 hours flight.

I am going on vacation, why worry so much.

I have my 2 regular suitcases for check in with 10 diffferent formal outfits at a grand total of 80 pounds.

I am told that if needed, I could have exceeded the weight allowance as well as check in a carry on. I am with Air Canada.

Life is good.

Louise

PS It also makes me smile when I hear that the Dec 25th attack was stopped !!!! It was not stopped and it is only by luck (or ignorance from the bomber) that the bomb did not go off. It was never discovered by any security check en and most likely all the many restrictions on millions of passengers will never be enough to stop one or 2 lunatics !

Have a good flight Louise, I know you will have a great cruise.

Hope to see you on-board in March.

Smooth sailing to you...

Business travelers are going to be the most inconvenienced. These folks rarely check luggage and rely on getting on and off a plane quickly. The crowds at the luggage carousels are also going to be much worse. Air travel gets more complicated after each terrorist act yet they keep finding new ways to continue their threats. What a pity.

It makes me smile when I see people complaining about this new rule in advance for a 7 or 10 day cruise starting in weeks or months.

I am leaving from Canada tomorrow for a 114 days World cruise. And I have managed to put in my size acceptable computer bag, my small laptop, my pouch of jewellery, my cameras, my Ipod, my papers, my wallet, a lipstik and powder, all my 5 prescribed medecines and vitamins supply for 116 days, etc, I still have room for a sandwich or 2 and a granola. I am on a 3.5 hours flight.

I am going on vacation, why worry so much.

I am worried and I am not going for about another 5 weeks. These things have a way of becoming permanent when they start out as temporary. I rarely go on a 7 day cruise but I'm doing just that in Feb. The "stuff" I put on my carry on is pretty much the same for a 7 day cruise and a 26 day cruise. I still needed my camera, ipod, meds etc....so the fact that you are going for a longer period probably doesn't change the stuff you need to take on your "so called" carry on. People do still have the same issues whether it is a 7 day or 114 day.

We flew out of Anchorage last July, after our 7 day Alaska Cruise. We had to fly to Seattle as Alaska Air does NOT land in Vancouver.

The ones I am wondering about are those, from the US, who are currently at the Junior Hockey games in Saskatoon. They will no doubt get a surprise when they check in a the airport and are told they are no allowed carry-on luggage.

Don't worry---we'll make sure they don't have a cup to carry aboard---so no problem;)

Laptops and cameras are among the permitted items on flights from Canada to the US. I really do think carry ons will be allowed by the time we cruise in 3 1/2 months.

As for airlines checking properly sized carry ons, we had a bad experience with this last fall. The second leg was a smaller plane and they gate checked all but the smallest carry ons. Our bag was fully within the carry on size and weight limtis and we were assured cameras, medicine etc. were fine since it wasn't going with the regular baggage. Our carry on wasn't at the gate when we got off; everyone else's was. It had been somehow sent to the baggage carousal. We ended up with a damaged camera.

Gate Check (at least on United) means the luggage is hand walked down to the plane, but you are right that it is suppose to be at the gate when you arrive. The positive is that you can usually watch them put it on the plane so unlikely to get lost. I would never hand over my camera, nor Netbook/computer.

We flew to Fort Wayne this summer with connection in Chicago. Groan....... (not about Chicago :) - about connecting. :( )

It was a regional jet from Chicago and though DH's carryon was well within United's stated carry on limits, they took it from him right on the tarmac. I suspected that could happen and had a HAL tote inside so I could remove his medications, jewelry and a few other valuables I did not want to risk out of our control. She didn't like it but really couldn't stop me. Without having an HAL tote, it would have been hard to remove those items.

We did watch them put it right into the plane and it was at the gate when we got off the plane.

Still reading the article but wanted to post a WORD OF WARNING to ALL!!!!

per part of the article..." ...and explosive detection technology."

Be warned NOT to wash your hands with Antibacterial soap and use Baby powder!!! I KNOW!! I did that in May when we flre to Seattle and I seet off the esplosive test... Needless to say it did cause a little bit of a panic with TSA, but was resolved in a couple of minutes.

Joanie

Still reading the article but wanted to post a WORD OF WARNING to ALL!!!!

per part of the article..." ...and explosive detection technology."

Be warned NOT to wash your hands with Antibacterial soap and use Baby powder!!! I KNOW!! I did that in May when we flre to Seattle and I seet off the esplosive test... Needless to say it did cause a little bit of a panic with TSA, but was resolved in a couple of minutes.

Joanie

Fear the Indian.

I repeat: Fear the Indian.

Rich

"Here they come movin', weavin', flyin' high and throwing spray.

Blades flashin', sticks crashin', tryin' for the play

And the Blackhawks take control

There's a shot and a goal!"

"Fear the Indian"

We're trying to become like you guys!:)

Fear the Indian.

I repeat: Fear the Indian.

Rich

"Here they come movin', weavin', flyin' high and throwing spray.

Blades flashin', sticks crashin', tryin' for the play

And the Blackhawks take control

There's a shot and a goal!"

"Fear the Indian"

We're trying to become like you guys!:)

Archived