New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

From CNN about 1.5 hrs ago...

"Security breach at Newark Airport. Terminal C on lockdown after man went through the wrong side of a checkpoint exit."

Morons and bad guys everywhere. :mad:

That's not the first nor will it be the last time that has happened/will happen - Knuckleheads, they walk among us:cool:

"Security breach at Newark Airport. Terminal C on lockdown after man went through the wrong side of a checkpoint exit."

That's not the first nor will it be the last time that has happened/will happen - Knuckleheads, they walk among us:cool:

So true. Several years ago I was at the Austin, TX airport fixin' (that's what we say down here :D ) to depart for Phoenix. Prior to boarding the plane, I visited the ladies necessary room and had just, ahem, "taken my seat" when an alarm went off and we were all ordered to evacuate...the terminal, that is. I weighed my options and decided to finish my business before getting in line to stand outside with the masses where there would be no necessary rooms available. I never found out why we'd been hurded into the mid-day summer Texas heat but it was an interesting adventure. I must say that the line at security to re-enter was the longest I've ever experienced, though. ;)

So true. Several years ago I was at the Austin, TX airport fixin' (that's what we say down here :D ) to depart for Phoenix. Prior to boarding the plane, I visited the ladies necessary room and had just, ahem, "taken my seat" when an alarm went off and we were all ordered to evacuate...the terminal, that is. I weighed my options and decided to finish my business before getting in line to stand outside with the masses where there would be no necessary rooms available. I never found out why we'd been hurded into the mid-day summer Texas heat but it was an interesting adventure. I must say that the line at security to re-enter was the longest I've ever experienced, though. ;)

Oh, not neccesarily morons or bad gyus; sometimes signs and security are just bad! In 2005 ago I was in a party that went to JFK to meet Bishop Desmond Tutu that was the keynote speaker at a conference I was involved it. At the terminal we asked directions to where we were supposed to go for security clearance. We followed the directions, took and elevator and walked around the corner to find ourselves at the departure gates! Oops, big security gap.

Oh, not neccesarily morons or bad gyus; sometimes signs and security are just bad! In 2005 ago I was in a party that went to JFK to meet Bishop Desmond Tutu that was the keynote speaker at a conference I was involved it. At the terminal we asked directions to where we were supposed to go for security clearance. We followed the directions, took and elevator and walked around the corner to find ourselves at the departure gates! Oops, big security gap.

So true. Several years ago I was at the Austin, TX airport fixin' (that's what we say down here :D ) ............

I learned that on several ride-a-longs with my nephew, who used to be a copper in East Texas - "I'm fixin' to write you a ticket unless you can 'splain whut you just did!":cool:

So true. Several years ago I was at the Austin, TX airport fixin' (that's what we say down here :D ) ............

I learned that on several ride-a-longs with my nephew, who used to be a copper in East Texas - "I'm fixin' to write you a ticket unless you can 'splain whut you just did!":cool:

Whoa !! So, if I can simply " 'splain whut I just did" I can get out of a ticket? The female mind is so complex, I'm sure I can come up with many 'splanations of why I just did something. :D

Whoa !! So, if I can simply " 'splain whut I just did" I can get out of a ticket? The female mind is so complex, I'm sure I can come up with many 'splanations of why I just did something. :D

In a previous life, I flew more miles in a year than most folk do in a lifetime and have long admired El Al ( the national airline of Israel) and measures taken at Ben Gurion airport.

Having said this, it is important to note that annual passenger traffic at Ben Gurion is about the same as John Wayne airport in Newport Beach California. El Al Airline has 35-40 flights per day versus 35,000 +/- for U.S. domestic airlines.

Their security forces are ex military and their backgrounds are thoroughly evaluated prior to hiring and training is extensive. In contrast, most TSA airport positions begin in the minimum wage range , no different than the people serving hot dogs, to go.

El Al constantly tests its employees' ability to detect "situations" and failure to do so results in immediate dismissal, not overlooked as it often does elsewhere.

Armed sky marshals are on every El Al flight. El Al does not rely on TSA and conduct independent evaluations of all passengers and luggage and have more sophisticated equipment and well trained people to do so.

The basis for their security is racial and ethnic profiling, which begins at the time a ticket is purchased. Gentiles are treated differently than non gentiles. Muslims are treated differently than Christians.

The same security is performed regardless of origin and destination.

The current population in Israel is about 7.5 million. About 75% are Jews. It's understandable that the majority within Israel would have a different perception of the ease of travel on El Al and/or through Ben Guion than others, as depicted in the story, embedded within the above link.

I remain an admirer of the security employed by El Al and at Ben Gurion airport. Air travel is a privilege.

In a previous life, I flew more miles in a year than most folk do in a lifetime and have long admired El Al ( the national airline of Israel) and measures taken at Ben Gurion airport.

Having said this, it is important to note that annual passenger traffic at Ben Gurion is about the same as John Wayne airport in Newport Beach California. El Al Airline has 35-40 flights per day versus 35,000 +/- for U.S. domestic airlines.

Their security forces are ex military and their backgrounds are thoroughly evaluated prior to hiring and training is extensive. In contrast, most TSA airport positions begin in the minimum wage range , no different than the people serving hot dogs, to go.

El Al constantly tests its employees' ability to detect "situations" and failure to do so results in immediate dismissal, not overlooked as it often does elsewhere.

Armed sky marshals are on every El Al flight. El Al does not rely on TSA and conduct independent evaluations of all passengers and luggage and have more sophisticated equipment and well trained people to do so.

The basis for their security is racial and ethnic profiling, which begins at the time a ticket is purchased. Gentiles are treated differently than non gentiles. Muslims are treated differently than Christians.

The same security is performed regardless of origin and destination.

The current population in Israel is about 7.5 million. About 75% are Jews. It's understandable that the majority within Israel would have a different perception of the ease of travel on El Al and/or through Ben Guion than others, as depicted in the story, embedded within the above link.

I remain an admirer of the security employed by El Al and at Ben Gurion airport. Air travel is a privilege.

Not since the hijacking of the Air France Flight 139, that ended so terribly in Entebbe, Uganda, 34 years ago, has any flight originating, or laying over in Israel, been taken over. No matter how small Ben Gurion is, they know how to do security.

I know I will get flamed for this, but here goes anyway... I wish ALL countries followed Israel's security precautions and measures.

Joanie

A number of years ago at Pearson in Toronto my husband and I had rerurned our rental car and started toting our luggage into the terminal. We seemed to be in a deserted area and found an elevator which we took up a few floors and emerged on the wrong side of security which we discovered when we started looking for the check in desk for our flight. Needless to say security was very ticked off but they let us pass and to this day I still don't know how we managed to take the route we did.

A number of years ago at Pearson in Toronto my husband and I had rerurned our rental car and started toting our luggage into the terminal. We seemed to be in a deserted area and found an elevator which we took up a few floors and emerged on the wrong side of security which we discovered when we started looking for the check in desk for our flight. Needless to say security was very ticked off but they let us pass and to this day I still don't know how we managed to take the route we did.

I wonder who got in trouble that day because they forgot to lock a door?

Not since the hijacking of the Air France Flight 139, that ended so terribly in Entebbe, Uganda, 34 years ago, has any flight originating, or laying over in Israel, been taken over. No matter how small Ben Gurion is, they know how to do security.

I know I will get flamed for this, but here goes anyway... I wish ALL countries followed Israel's security precautions and measures.

Joanie

Joanie,

I think the point that Hammybee (great post by the way) is trying to make, is that we would all would love to have the same level of security El Al has in place, but with the sheer number of flights in the US and in Canada each day there is NO way this could be achieved. There is no way if the airlines did implement some of the measures EL AL has, that the airfare would be able to stay low.

I also know from a friend that works at Toronto Pearson airport, that when El Al is on the ground in Toronto and LA there is always secret policy on the ground watching every person around the planes.

There is just no way to achieve that same level of security without compromise, and the airlines abide by TSA requirements but also try to follow what their business passengers want of them, reducing the number of flights is not going to make airlines any more profitable.

There is NO easy answer to the questions that have been posed in this thread.

Bruce

Joanie,

I think the point that Hammybee (great post by the way) is trying to make, is that we would all would love to have the same level of security El Al has in place, but with the sheer number of flights in the US and in Canada each day there is NO way this could be achieved. There is no way if the airlines did implement some of the measures EL AL has, that the airfare would be able to stay low.

I also know from a friend that works at Toronto Pearson airport, that when El Al is on the ground in Toronto and LA there is always secret policy on the ground watching every person around the planes.

There is just no way to achieve that same level of security without compromise, and the airlines abide by TSA requirements but also try to follow what their business passengers want of them, reducing the number of flights is not going to make airlines any more profitable.

Bruce

I saw in one article, El Al has 35 flights a day at Ben Gurion. In another piece, it stated the US had 200,000+ flights a day.

It would be a big job here, but it is working in Israel.

Joanie,

Bruce

I know Bruce, but I wish it were possible... And I wish there was an easy answer that would make everyone happy and everyone safe... Oh well, no perfect world I know:(

Joanie

El AL uses the same type of security at JFK for flights flying to Israel or elsewhere. They ask each passenger a few questions and watch how they answer them. Security is trained to look the people in the eye and discover the person who answers in a way that shows they are hiding something. They also have plain clothed security people waiting in line as though they are passengers.They mingle with those waiting to check in their luggage and they are always watching how people behave. This process is so much more efficient to scout out those people who are trying to hide something.

Interesting video by Wall Street Journal on how Israel screens for terrorists.

http://chinaconfidential.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-israel-screens-for-terrorists.html

After watching the video, reading a News Paper article another poster posted the link to) and reading mamaofami's posts about El Al, I have a question for any of our Air Line experts....

How long does it currently take to go from Curb to gate for US Airline passengers? And the same for Foreign Based Airlines or any flight originating outside the US?

I'm curious as to the time difference between US and EL AL time frames.

Joanie

Joanie

What are Israel's security precautions and measures (at Ben Gurion)?

Archived