New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

In addition to all the overtime for the extra RCMP who are working security, the Cdn gov't just announced they are buying 44 full-body scanners. I'm good with the scanners being purchased but am pretty annoyed about the RCMP overtime bill the Cdn taxpayers are getting.

I'll give you a full report on the airport security, differences in the flights, etc, Lorekauf, when we get back from our trip. That'll give you what?? 4 days to prepare or something? :D

I'm good with the body scanners.....that will be useful. The no carry on rule is just stupid and I don't know anyone can defend that. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience. It's getting so close for you now! Of course now....the weather is warming up:D.

Some of these posts astound me, some upset me, some make me angry, some make me sad. And then there are a few that make me proud.

No one denies that hundreds of people die every day in accidents on the highway and elsewhere, from illness, drug overdoses and by any number of other means.

But this thread is about rules and safety strategies that are instituted to try to stop terrorism which is not a threat to the United States alone, but to every free country in the world.

We can agree or disagree about whether they're all necessary, we can talk about political correctness and I daresay that could go on for many pages. Some will feel it's annoying; some will be willing to do just about anything just to save one life.

But we really need to remember one thing. Without the freedoms we enjoy in a democracy we would not have the joy of being able to drive where we want to drive, fly where we want to fly, cruise where we want to cruise.

Terrorism threatens that freedom. We have made and we will make mistakes along the way as we try to figure out ways we can get in the way of those who want to kill us and destroy our freedoms, but we have to try ... every member of the free world absolutely must fight to protect ourselves against those who would wish to do us harm.

JMO.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

The 2007 winning entry from an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

Cheers

Mark

Thank you Mark, Now I have another very useable quote.

r.

It's getting so close for you now! Of course now....the weather is warming up

Of course it's getting warm now :D Though I'd rather have above freezing temps when we leave, just for the highway drive if nothing else!

Yes, definitely getting close.... we leave a week from Thurs for the overnight/non-sleep night in the hotel, for our 4 am wakeup call to get to the airport allowing plenty of time to go thru security :D and of course extra time AT the hotel in the morning jamming my jacket pockets with granola bars, clean underwear, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss, and more clean underwear. :D Additionally, my "small purse" will weight 30 lbs I'm sure.

No one can defend the "no carry on" rule with any kind of rational argument.

I was wondering if they were going to attempt to apply "logic" due to this latest attack attempt... and do something like ban underwear. See, if they had done that, this latest terrorist would not have been able to put the explosive device in his underwear.

So, that's my suggestion... ban underwear.

Screening could be really interesting. :-)

This is a very interesting article on airline safety:

http://securitysolutions.com/news/security_exposing_hostile_intent/

It also discusses what may be a misunderstanding of the things that go on at Ben Gurion, which I think most people think is very good at what it does. I note it because of references in this thread to racial profiling. Here is an excerpt:

Robbins agrees, calling behavior pattern recognition the opposite of racial profiling. “With profiling, you select a group of people and just look at those people,” he says. “That won’t work. For example, you probably wouldn’t talk to a Tim McVeigh. You have to take the focus off profiling and analyze behaviors. This is what will help us to keep our airport safe.”

[/i]

\

Smooth sailing to you...

Finally someone who is making sense!!!!!

RANT WARNING!

Because some idiot bureaucrats can't do their overpaid job, we have to pay MILLIONS of tax dollars to purchase scanning equipment for airports. Talk about foolish. Here's and example of what this is foolish. A passengers flying from a small african or Auropean airport with poor security procedures gets to board their flight to JFK, but they must flight thru a big airport like Paris DeGaulle. When they arrive in Paris at terminal 2F they board their next flight which is only 10 gates away but in the same terminal, they have been screened and are on the airside airport so they don't need to be screen again and are now able to board their next flight bound for the US. The Miami Herald reported today that most European airport have not made any changes to their airport security.

It makes no sense for Canada or the US to purchase this extra equipment when other countries have made no changes. Here's the a quote "No changes were seen Monday at international airports in Syria, Algeria, Libya or Lebanon, four other countries on the list."

Of course it's getting warm now :D Though I'd rather have above freezing temps when we leave, just for the highway drive if nothing else!

Yes, definitely getting close.... we leave a week from Thurs for the overnight/non-sleep night in the hotel, for our 4 am wakeup call to get to the airport allowing plenty of time to go thru security :D and of course extra time AT the hotel in the morning jamming my jacket pockets with granola bars, clean underwear, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss, and more clean underwear. :D Additionally, my "small purse" will weight 30 lbs I'm sure.

I keep forgetting your drive into Calgary:eek:. Love your idea about jamming your pockets. Gotta remember that one.

Finally someone who is making sense!!!!!

RANT WARNING!

Because some idiot bureaucrats can't do their overpaid job, we have to pay MILLIONS of tax dollars to purchase scanning equipment for airports. Talk about foolish. Here's and example of what this is foolish. A passengers flying from a small african or Auropean airport with poor security procedures gets to board their flight to JFK, but they must flight thru a big airport like Paris DeGaulle. When they arrive in Paris at terminal 2F they board their next flight which is only 10 gates away but in the same terminal, they have been screened and are on the airside airport so they don't need to be screen again and are now able to board their next flight bound for the US. The Miami Herald reported today that most European airport have not made any changes to their airport security.

It makes no sense for Canada or the US to purchase this extra equipment when other countries have made no changes. Here's the a quote "No changes were seen Monday at international airports in Syria, Algeria, Libya or Lebanon, four other countries on the list."

Valid points but again, if you board a flight to the USA (and apparently to Canada also) at Amsterdam-Schiphol, you WILL be screened again because at Schiphol, the magnetometers & x-ray machines for those flight are located at the gates. That means an interview plus scanning at the gate for the North American flight, even though your original flight or flights originated elsewhere

Valid points but again, if you board a flight to the USA (and apparently to Canada also) at Amsterdam-Schiphol, you WILL be screened again because at Schiphol, the magnetometers & x-ray machines for those flight are located at the gates. That means an interview plus scanning at the gate for the North American flight, even though your original flight or flights originated elsewhere
I believe this is true at most major airports. On our flight home from Rome via Munich, we were rescreened in the terminal and at the gate.

Good grief...the terrorists are winning. They're doing exactly what they want to do: cause fear and chaos. How to stop them? Who knows...

I live in Texas and the massacre at Fort Hood is still "current news" every day. I'm sure the terrorists are loving this.

Look at the people who are boarding your flights. Look them in the eye while you're waiting to board and when they're walking down the aisle of the plane. Be aware. I know that females have a 6th sense about "something bad is about to happen." It's a gut feeling and it's real. Believe in it and acknowledge it.

Perhaps our own guts are the best defense we have.

that was good quote a few posts ago... We have to accept what is happening in travel these days based on todays' news.. BTW is sexting still a term?:D

It is what it is, but today I took my 200cc Vespa out for a quick ride and lived to tell about it.. Sorry about the snow, but it just didn't snow here..:)

TSA is not efficient imo, and now they want to unionize and get more perks. I also just watched the evening news and I am guessing my new health care bill will be 5.4%.

Happy Sailings and let's vote some of the talking heads in our governments out of office next election or the next one, or the next one.:rolleyes:

But of course, we still love Holland and will be the sailing the Nieuw Amsterdam this year...:p

I can feel a flame coming...

and Lord knows I'm not looking to start a controversy, (and will also offer the caveat that I haven't read ALL the posts on this thread... BUT what does it say about our priorities when we spend the billions we do in response to the deaths of 3000 in the 9-11 attacks and yet 12,000 people a year die in the US in traffic accidents and I don't see any indication that we have any comprehensive strategy to address that problem.

How many times do you read where a drunk kills an innocent party and we find out in the investigation that it is his (or her) 8th or 9th offense? What's the plan?

Just heard on the ABC evening news that they estimate that 15,000 people a yr are dying in nursing homes due to what the segment referred to as "chemical restraints" , basically drugging those patients who are a management problem. What is the stategy to deal with that?

Our urban school systems are a wreck. What's the plan there?

9-11 was a tragedy, no doubt.. and we all want to be safe when we fly.. but clearly much of what is being done in response to that attack and subsequent threats qualifies as knee jerk and far from cost effective.

How is it that had the fella on Christmas in Detroit been successful and 300 died in a crash it would be termed a tragedy and yet we can't, as a society, summon that same angst for the victims of drunk drivers (or texters or cell phone users or speeders or the sleep deprived),nor for the elderly who are being abused in nursing homes nor for the kids in our urban areas who are being turned out the doors of their high schools w/ a diploma that in no way equips them to make their way in the world?

Just makes one wonder.

Very little controversial about this post.

The answer may lie in which misery gets shared over the national news and which anguish is suffered privately, albeit with horrifying affect across all manner of family.

None of this is to diminish the seriousness of the confrontation we are engaged in with extremists, it just places it in a broader perspective.

Someone said "life is good" on this thread. Life has the capacity to be good, but an equal capacity to be pretty miserable. As cruisers, we are an incredibly privileged lot. The more we think about all the stuff you talk about, the more we lose that "feel good" attitude.

We will defeat the extremists. I hope we will be as successful against the broader spectrum of problems you present.

Smooth sailing to you...

While racial profiling may be politically incorrect, why shouldn't someone who buys a one way ticket with cash and doesn't check any luggage come under some scrutiny? I know this was in Amsterdam, but ????

Also, apparantly, NOT wearing or carrying any winter clothing, flying to Detroit in the middle of winter!

I was wondering if they were going to attempt to apply "logic" due to this latest attack attempt... and do something like ban underwear. See, if they had done that, this latest terrorist would not have been able to put the explosive device in his underwear.

So, that's my suggestion... ban underwear.

Screening could be really interesting. :-)

In Canada, there will be no requirement or need to ban underwear as the 44 "Body Scanners" soon to be installed at 7 different Canadian airports will be able to "see" through underwear! A so-called visual strip-search!

If you mean Richard Reid, he was a British Muslim of half-African descent. I swear, people can't remember things for more than about ten minutes these days.

Why would anyone remember that? :confused: It's not like people have nothing else to think about.:)

Archived