New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

Also, CAA carrys a multi zippered compartment bag, called "Multi-Purpose Travel Kit (Bag/Purse) named "Bon Voyage" that measures 7" x 9"

My TA gave me one of those Bon Voyage bags a few cruises ago and after digging it out last night, I can see that things might not look as glum for me with regards to a carry on. It's a nice size with a large zippered pocket and a smaller one on the front of the bag for travel docs. Meds and a small camera can easily fit in this thing. There is another very small zippered pocket on the front where a cell phone can be stowed if you are taking one or even your sunglasses. Has a nice shoulder strap too. The only problem is that there would be no room for a change of clothes.

My TA gave me one of those Bon Voyage bags a few cruises ago and after digging it out last night, I can see that things might not look as glum for me with regards to a carry on. It's a nice size with a large zippered pocket and a smaller one on the front of the bag for travel docs. Meds and a small camera can easily fit in this thing. There is another very small zippered pocket on the front where a cell phone can be stowed if you are taking one or even your sunglasses. Has a nice shoulder strap too. The only problem is that there would be no room for a change of clothes.

Where would I put my knitting needles? Yes, I am permitted to take them as carry-on, as long as there is "wool present". I kid you not!

My TA gave me one of those Bon Voyage bags a few cruises ago and after digging it out last night, I can see that things might not look as glum for me with regards to a carry on. It's a nice size with a large zippered pocket and a smaller one on the front of the bag for travel docs. Meds and a small camera can easily fit in this thing. There is another very small zippered pocket on the front where a cell phone can be stowed if you are taking one or even your sunglasses. Has a nice shoulder strap too. The only problem is that there would be no room for a change of clothes.[/quote]

Just wear a couple sets of clothes! So far as I know, us Canadians, as yet, do not have to be weighed at check-in, along with our luggage!

Also consider, like I do, when travelling, wear a pair of cargo pants with six large pockets (and stuff them all full of travel items)!:)

I live in Ottawa and after checking with all of the local retailers listed on the Eagle Creek website, I finally ordered a Vagabond purse from Amazon.com.

None of our stores carry this item.

Amazon has the best price and the best shipping price.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can actually stuff into it!!:)

It's all very frustrating.

This new news item which I am sure you are aware of helps take the joy out of life:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100111/airport_security_100111/20100111?hub=Canada&s_name=

Looks like security will continue to increase.

Lets just hope that whatever security we face really does work.

Smooth sailing to you...

Nice. Wouldn't it be great if they could focus their efforts on keeping the terrorists off the plane instead of wasting so many resources and time with stupid policies.

Hi Divi,

My hope is that these restrictions will be lifted before we cruise in February.

I am in Ottawa as well. Did you go to the retailers in Ottawa as per the eaglecreek website? (Bushtukah, Trailhead, The Expedition Store and Capital City Luggage) I hate to do all this running around to find these items are not actually at the retailer, but I also prefer to look at something concrete rather than ordering online. I was thinking of checking out CAA, as someone else suggested, or even Winners.

How long till you get your bag! Do post your findings when it arrives.

Hi Divi,

My hope is that these restrictions will be lifted before we cruise in February.

I am in Ottawa as well. Did you go to the retailers in Ottawa as per the eaglecreek website? (Bushtukah, Trailhead, The Expedition Store and Capital City Luggage) I hate to do all this running around to find these items are not actually at the retailer, but I also prefer to look at something concrete rather than ordering online. I was thinking of checking out CAA, as someone else suggested, or even Winners.

How long till you get your bag! Do post your findings when it arrives.

I called all of the stores you mentioned and finally ordered online. It should arrive next week. I'll let you know how I like it.

By the way, I'm afraid the restrictions will become permanet and more widespread.:(

Hey Canadian friends; can you educate me as to who "mans" or "womans" the magnetometers and x-ray machines at Canadian airports? Is it the RCMP, other Canadian government agency or (civilian) contract security? Depending who you talk to here in the good old U.S. of A, the TSA (a government agency who is the responsible body at our airports) has either a good or bad rep.

Hi John,

They are staffed by civilian contract security. Currently the contracted security agencies hire based on minimum (here in BC 8.50 per hour) wage jobs, provide training and off they go - I'm sure some are quality candidates - others, perhaps not so much.........hopefully the operators of the scanners - we should have ours soon in Vancouver because of the Olympics, have more training and can exercise more judgement than strict regurgitation of the rule book.

I would still like to understand why the carry on regs only apply to Canadian cross border travel to the USA, and why for whatever reason the computer bags are carry only, no wheels - either someone has intel that justifies this and we're not told; or someone is off their rocker when it comes to exercising good judgement. Heaven only knows.....

For those shopping for bags check out bagallini - they have a bag that is 9 x 12 x 3 - I bought one for my trip to NYC and it's great and has more space than the vagabond - and it was designed by flight attendants. Just a thought.

Cheers,

YaYa

Hey Canadian friends; can you educate me as to who "mans" or "womans" the magnetometers and x-ray machines at Canadian airports? Is it the RCMP, other Canadian government agency or (civilian) contract security?
CATSA, a Canadian Crown Corporation, ostensibly independent of government & accountable to Parliament thru the Minister of Transport, has responsibility for airport screening. CATSA staff are a combo of direct employees & contractors. The RCMP are not routinely involved but have recently been engaged at busy airports to help deal with the enormous back-logs created by additional security measures for flights heading to the US post Dec 25/09.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know, in English et en francais. Keep salt handy. ;);)

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=28&pname=WhoWeAre_QuiNousSommes&lang=en

Thanks a bunch YaYa and the Mighty Quinn, for the education!

Prior to 9/11, U.S. airports security screeners were strictly civilian contract employees of the same "minimum wage" variety as you're (YaYa) are talling about. Post 9/11, TSA personnel is supposed to be better trained, educated and compensated but, at times, I'm not so sure about that!:eek:

Thanks a bunch YaYa and the Mighty Quinn, for the education!

Prior to 9/11, U.S. airports security screeners were strictly civilian contract employees of the same "minimum wage" variety as you're (YaYa) are talling about. Post 9/11, TSA personnel is supposed to be better trained, educated and compensated but, at times, I'm not so sure about that!:eek:

I`m not so sure either John.

Shortly after 9/11 many recently retired police officers in the Chicago area were notified of job opportunities as TSA supervisors or Air Marshals.

Many of us took and passed the written exams but then were told that our services weren`t needed because we lacked a Batchelors degree. Officers with 20 to 35 years expierience weren`t qualified to supervise the searching of luggage and passengers. And the powers that be didn`t care what your degree was in, just as long as you had one.

In actuality, a barista working at Starbucks with a degree in East African Drumming was more qualified to fight the war on terror than the men and women in law enforcement according to govt. hiring guidelines.

Rich

Shortly after 9/11 many recently retired police officers in the Chicago area were notified of job opportunities as TSA supervisors or Air Marshals.

Many of us took and passed the written exams but then were told that our services weren`t needed because we lacked a Batchelors degree. Officers with 20 to 35 years expierience weren`t qualified to supervise the searching of luggage and passengers. And the powers that be didn`t care what your degree was in, just as long as you had one.

In actuality, a barista working at Starbucks with a degree in East African Drumming was more qualified to fight the war on terror than the men and women in law enforcement according to govt. hiring guidelines.

Rich

It's totally crazy. It's all about common sense, really, and there seems to be a great lacking in it.:)

Rich

Well, public service everywhere seems to prefer engagement of those individuals beginning their careers to those attempting to extend them past pensioned retirement where a choice is feasible.

While I leave it to you to consider your characterization of today's university graduates (finding themselves employed in the service sector), I agree that where supervisory skills are concerned, there is little substitute for experience.

We need a workforce that blends the fresh faced enthusiasm of youth with the seasoned wisdom of experience such as yours.

Its a shame we can never seem to strike that balance.

Smooth sailing...

Rich

That's our government for ya, Rich!

Four men, an engineer, an acountant, a chemist and a government worker were bragging about how smart their dogs were.

To show off, the engineer called to his dog and said, "T-Square, do your stuff." T-square trotted over to a desk, took out some paper and a pen and promptly drew a circle, a square and a triangle. Everyone agreed that was pretty smart.

But the accountant said his dog could do better. He called his dog and said, "Slide Rule, do your stuff." Slide Rule went out into the kitchen and returned with a dozen cookies. He divided them into 4 equal piles of 3 cookies each. Everyone agreed that was good.

But the chemist said his dog could do better. He called his dog and said, "Measure, do your stuff." Measure got up, walked over to the fridge, took out a quart of milk, got a 10 ounce glass from the cupboard and poured exactly 8 ounces without spilling a drop. Everyone agreed that was good.

Then the three men turned to the government worker and said, "What can your dog do?" The government worker called to his dog and said, "Coffee Break, do your stuff." Coffee Break jumped to his feet, ate the cookies, drank the milk, dumped on the paper, molested the other three dogs, claimed he injured his back while doing so, filed a grievance report for unsafe working conditions, put in for worker's compensation and went home on sick leave.

Sadly just after xmas

Family member and gf went home to Brazil through New Jersey.

they are in their 20's never again they said. will look to overpass US anyway possible. troublesome in depature from Canada since connecting flight in US

Brother went to Mexico for vacation just after New years (stayed away from any us airport)

ditto for me.

Been talking to lots of friends and many for their march vacations havnt really commited too much yet, are just waiting, same with me have not decided yet. Sadly many will just go direct to Cuba ,Jamaica,Aruba Barbados any AI resort, ect and take land vacation this year. wherever and fly over the US to avoid all this crap. Many will still cruise since they love it.

However

Why in the US you are allowed cary on and we Canadians are not frustrates the heck out of a good percentage of potential Cruisers.

Too much hastle at the moment for us, pity yes. since we are still looking to cruise in March but may just go back south again if it gets any worse.

there is a lot of talk of tightening up Port security also is just gonna be the icing on the Cake, for us and will let others go in our place.

just too many check points for us, and what if our luggae never makes it yikes!!

Well, we already booked our air for March (prior to the new,crazy rule), flying to LA to catch a flight to Auckland. If this silliness continues, I'll have to make do with a small purse for the first leg (for the first time ever, DH will have to carry a small Man purse, as there's no way meds, etc. will all fit in mine). Thank Goodness we plan to stay in LA for a couple of days, prior to second flight. Air NZ only allows max. 15 lbs. for carry on. So while in LA, will buy backpacks and repack. Oh, the joy of travel!

Archived