New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

How about meds in one of those boxes with the day of the week compartments in it? Or is this taking chances that this will be confiscated too? :rolleyes:

I believe that all prescription and non prescription medications are supposed to be transported in their original labelled vials/containers, which will mean that they may take much more room in one's "purse" than if one were able to transport them in a day of the week compartments.

Whatever.....you know what I mean.....ya still have to carry paperwork. What about insurance....?...or should we put everything in our luggage....including meds? I sure hope you folks from the US aren't ever subjected to this stupidity. Then you can see what a source of frustration we are subjected to.

Are you serious? Do NOT put your medications into your (checked) luggage!!!

You forgot to include confirmations for shore excursions, Pinnacle dining, wine cards etc. That, along with the cruise confirmation, passport, ticket confirmation and insurance confirmation sure makes for one bulky paper package.

Since prescription meds have to be in the original bottle with label, that adds more bulk. Then you have the little baggie with the allowable liquids and gels,along with reading material, wallet, comb, pen, cell phone, jewellery and whatever else I forgot to mention. Any help here???:confused:

If, by some miracle, one manages to cram all of this into a 10 x 12 x 5 purse in very precise jigsaw puzzle perfect manner, then some security agent doing the hand search of the purse will pull everything out all over the place. You will then be expected to do a precision repack in five seconds or less to clear the way for the next victim.

Until people from the US are subjected to this idiotic restriction, they really don't have a dog in this race.

My suggestions related to packing a purse/travel bag with allowable dimensions of 10" x 12" x 5" are as follows:

1. Pack ALL lag's (liguids, aerosols, gels) into your CHECKED baggage.

2. Leave your camera(s), notebook computer and 'cell 'phone at home.

3. Ladies, only take the jewellery that you are wearing through screening.

4. In short, just pack medications, passport, tickets, currency & secondary set of prescription eyewear into your purse/travel bag.

Let me add, where I live we cannot find purses for sale that fit the requirements.

Is there a retailer for EagleCreek products where you live?

www.eaglecreek.com

And let's not forget hotel confirmations (we have 2, one for the preflight night, and one for the precruise nights). Also, did you know that you aren't supposed to put rechargeable batteries in checked luggage?

And for a 15+ hours travel day, with no time to purchase food and still make connections, we have to schlep granola bars with us.

And if one is not comfortable with checking good jewelry or expensive accessories, one needs to have those on one's person, too.

DH is going to try carrying one of the cheap HAL totes.

But the HAL tote is larger than the allowable dimensions! The HAL tote measures 12" x 18". The allowable dimensions are 10" x 12"!

Canadians are permitted a small purse or pouch (current info from CATSA says 10" x 12" x 5", a few days ago it was 10" x 12" x 2"). Substantially different than a rolling case and garment bag. Of course, if you are Canadian and carrying a musical instrument, the musical instrument is supposed to be allowed into the plane cabin. I'm considering taking tuba lessons in the 4 days before we fly -- at least I'd be able to get a change of underwear onto the plane.

IF one can find a small purse or pouch that meets the size restrictions, one would be fortunate indeed to be able to put the cruise line document package in it AND be able to access it as needed.

What a great idea!

I can only speak of my experience travelling from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on Air Canada.

Jan 1st I left Montreal .. I brought a small purse with my medication, wallet, travel docs, spare glasses. I also brought my laptop w/case and 2 digital cameras and all the wiring and chargers that go with them. Everything else was checked luggage.

With no long lines in front of us .. it took 2 hours to get from the entrance of the airport to the gate. Pat downs, personal items searched, luggage tagged by airline personel only for US destinations. I didn't feel any more secure afterwards.

Sort of like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped.:rolleyes:

Seems other airlines are allowing carry on bags, British Airways for example, are allowing carry on luggage plus personal items (purse, laptop, camera, etc).

Seems CATSA & Transport Canada are imposing this on their own.:mad:

Not allowing carry on bags on board a flight is not a US requirement to enter the US!

On my way home from Fort Lauderdale on Jan 9th it took me 20 minutes to check in, go through security and get to the gate. I was allowed my carry on on board on the way home. :confused:

If this keeps up I'm not sure about going back to the US anytime soon. Too much of a hassle for Canadians! :(

While I would never dream of taking a computer...a camera is a must! Don't you think a person wants a memory of the places you've been:confused:.

Not enough for me to have to pack a camera in a 9" x 12" travel bag! It is a non essential item to have to pack with limited space! Which would you choose to pack; prescription medication or a camera?

[/size][/b]

Not enough for me to have to pack a camera in a 9" x 12" travel bag! It is a non essential item to have to pack with limited space! Which would you choose to pack; prescription medication or a camera?

According to the CATSA website your camera and accessories can be in their own bag. Same with a laptop/netbook. No way would I go on a trip without my camera. Hopefully someone will come to their senses soon.

According to the CATSA website your camera and accessories can be in their own bag. Same with a laptop/netbook. No way would I go on a trip without my camera. Hopefully someone will come to their senses soon.

Slight clarification: The bag carrying your camera and accessories must be dedicated for that purpose.

I was flying Munich to Chicago on 03rd January w/ Lufthansa, and aside from secondary screening prior to the gate, I had no problems with my regular-sized briefcase and my leather duffel bag. I fail to see the reason for the double standard / extra scrutiny for Canadian pax -- unless DHS is still subscribing to the [fully discredited] 9-11 bombers all came from Canada theorem (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38816-2005Apr8.html)? In the end, it's only the US tourist economies that will suffer. I can quite easily fly to Hong Kong, Athens, Santiago or Brisbane to catch my next cruise.

Scott.

In the end, it's only the US tourist economies that will suffer. I can quite easily fly to Hong Kong, Athens, Santiago or Brisbane to catch my next cruise.

That it.....when it starts to hit tourism.....then I can see it changing. What a sorry situation.

That it.....when it starts to hit tourism.....then I can see it changing. What a sorry situation.

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right, and I say this as a US citizen. Canada is not to blame for the idiot Nigerian on 12/25, or the idiot TSA guy who left his post or the idiot who thought it would be cool to slip under the rope to kiss his girlfriend and walk her to her gate in Newark. All three have been identified, one detained, but not nearly enough future punishment, IMO. Canada is only doing what they should, and it's a huge inconvenience, but apparently it falls under the "International flights into the US" current thing. BTW - had occasion to visit your lovely city a few years ago! Saddle Dome and some fun shops on a cobblestone street. Hang in there, eh!

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right, and I say this as a US citizen. Canada is not to blame for the idiot Nigerian on 12/25, or the idiot TSA guy who left his post or the idiot who thought it would be cool to slip under the rope to kiss his girlfriend and walk her to her gate in Newark. All three have been identified, one detained, but not nearly enough future punishment, IMO. Canada is only doing what they should, and it's a huge inconvenience, but apparently it falls under the "International flights into the US" current thing. BTW - had occasion to visit your lovely city a few years ago! Saddle Dome and some fun shops on a cobblestone street. Hang in there, eh!

Thanks for the support eh :D and for the kind words regarding Calgary. Glad you liked it.

I guess we're lucky in deciding long ago to fly out of Buffalo vs Toronto. Not sure of what we'll expect at the border however it sounds like we'll be able to bring some kind of carry-on with us onboard the plane.

Can't imagine not being able to bring my bag carrying my reading glasses, a book, newspaper, snacks, ipod etc with me however I guess it's a small price to pay for additional safety and the fact remains that we still get to go....:D

Dan

Can't imagine not being able to bring my bag carrying my reading glasses, a book, newspaper, snacks, ipod etc with me however I guess it's a small price to pay for additional safety and the fact remains that we still get to go....:D

Dan

What additional safety? I think I've asked this question a few times on this thread. How is a no carry on rule making anyone more safe? Remember after all the guy had the bomb in his underware. Terrorists are not going to put a bomb in a carry on.

What additional safety? I think I've asked this question a few times on this thread. How is a no carry on rule making anyone more safe? Remember after all the guy had the bomb in his underware. Terrorists are not going to put a bomb in a carry on.

Maybe not but it'll help weed out the terriorists thinking about replacing the bologna in their sandwich with some kind of explosive. :rolleyes:

I guess we're lucky in deciding long ago to fly out of Buffalo vs Toronto. Not sure of what we'll expect at the border however it sounds like we'll be able to bring some kind of carry-on with us onboard the plane.

Dan

First of all, I enjoy your namesake cocktail.:)

I am the first to admit I am not an expert on airline security.

Still, as I have eyes to see and a mind to reason, how is a carry-on more safe when boarded in Boston than one boarded in Toronto when the screening process is seriously more comprehensive in Toronto? I can say this because I have flown out of both after the (thankfully) unsuccessful Christmas incident.

Canadian airport security meets or exceeds IATA standards and to my knowledge has never been problematic.

I may be misreading this thread, but it seems to me it is a perceived double standard that people are questioning here.

Smooth sailing ...

It's all very frustrating.

This new news item which I am sure you are aware of helps take the joy out of life:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100111/airport_security_100111/20100111?hub=Canada&s_name=

Looks like security will continue to increase.

Lets just hope that whatever security we face really does work.

Smooth sailing to you...

Archived