New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2010/01/07/12375191-sun.html

Something from the article I didn't know:

While the new body-scanners reportedly wouldn't have caught the underwear bomber -- the explosives were spread too thin -- U.S. demands for extra security have forced countries like Canada to follow suit.

Jeeze!

Smooth sailing (and flying) to you...

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2010/01/07/12375191-sun.html

Something from the article I didn't know:

While the new body-scanners reportedly wouldn't have caught the underwear bomber -- the explosives were spread too thin -- U.S. demands for extra security have forced countries like Canada to follow suit.

Jeeze!

Smooth sailing (and flying) to you...

Yeah but the no carry on rule for Canadians is going to save everyone so why would we need anything more:rolleyes:.

Yeah but the no carry on rule for Canadians is going to save everyone so why would we need anything more:rolleyes:.

Come now Lorene----Just look forward to the new website this equipment is sure to generate. It will be more popular than "People of WalMart":D If people think for one minute that images won't turn up on the internet they are living in a dream world. I did hear on the news that if one objects to having the naked scan, they can opt to be taken aside and be thoroughly searched.

[sarcasm] Yes, these 44 scanners are the magic bullet. How many Canadian airports are getting them? Oh just seven. How many Canadian airports have direct flights to the US? At least 13 by my (imprecise) count. And what percentage of US airports have them? This 'security theatre' is simply that, for show. Will these scanners be sophisticated enough to detect materials secreted within a person's body. No. Does it take a rocket scientist to predict that's where the next bomber is going to mule his ordnance? Um, again, no. Is the next logical step colorectal exams? [/sarcasm]

Scott.

Come now Lorene----Just look forward to the new website this equipment is sure to generate. It will be more popular than "People of WalMart":D If people think for one minute that images won't turn up on the internet they are living in a dream world. I did hear on the news that if one objects to having the naked scan, they can opt to be taken aside and be thoroughly searched.

Now I never thought of that....thanks Sapper. It's just keeps getting better and better;).

Greetings -- I have been doing longer international cruises originating overseas -- and I live near NYC. If it gets too much, I will look for alternatives to flying -- mainly using ships from NYC to Europe followed by trains to other ports. I have just about had it already; you can't even bring enough clothes anymore due to the airlines limuitations and I'll be darned if expensive cameras and lenses will get checked anywhere. If it gets really bad, HAL loses. Combine that with anticipated tax increases from increased government spending, and I might be through with discretionary spending altogether. Does HAL offer a shuttle ship to Europe??????

ZU

With the body scanners I guess we`ll be seeing each other BEFORE the Meet and Greet.:)

Rich

It seems that if you are a well known person you can bypass the long lineups generated by enhanced security.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2010/01/08/12394736-cp.html

This totally ticked me off when I read it in the Toronto Star this morning. Wonder if it would work for me since I will need to be at the airport around 4am for my 7:20am flight to Florida in March. :mad:

It seems that if you are a well known person you can bypass the long lineups generated by enhanced security.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2010/01/08/12394736-cp.html

Of course....no problem....different rules for different people:rolleyes:. All the rest of us flying to the US are terrorists. I'm so done with these rules. I'm wondering when these "temporary" rules are going to end. It's been over 2 weeks now. Something I found interesting on the CATSA website is that you can bring knitting needles on the plane and you don't have to count this as carry on. You have to have wool with it however:rolleyes:. How stupid is that?

Of course....no problem....different rules for different people:rolleyes:. All the rest of us flying to the US are terrorists. I'm so done with these rules. I'm wondering when these "temporary" rules are going to end. It's been over 2 weeks now. Something I found interesting on the CATSA website is that you can bring knitting needles on the plane and you don't have to count this as carry on. You have to have wool with it however:rolleyes:. How stupid is that?

I guess a terrorist could pull the wool over security's eyes. Sorry. I couldn't help myself. :D

I guess a terrorist could pull the wool over security's eyes. Sorry. I couldn't help myself. :D

Too funny! :D

So much of it utter stupidity. For example, a person can bring on board baby diapers, formula, medications (for some of us, could be quite a few), knitting needles (with wool) etc. but cannot bring along a "carry-on" bag to put these items in. The small purse (permitted) will most likely be too small. So where are we supposed to put such items? One item pushed in here, another there, and another - never mind. :) Or are carryons now permitted? I can't keep up with it. :confused:

Does anyone actually THINK before coming up with such idiocy?

So much of it utter stupidity. For example, a person can bring on board baby diapers, formula, medications (for some of us, could be quite a few), knitting needles (with wool) etc. but cannot bring along a "carry-on" bag to put these items in. The small purse (permitted) will most likely be too small. So where are we supposed to put such items? One item pushed in here, another there, and another - never mind. :) Or are carryons now permitted? I can't keep up with it. :confused:

No...we still can't take carryons....but it's just temporary:rolleyes:. Yeah....I'd like to know where we are supposed to put all these items that they have approved for us to take on. So stupid!

............. Something I found interesting on the CATSA website is that you can bring knitting needles on the plane and you don't have to count this as carry on. You have to have wool with it however:rolleyes:. How stupid is that?

I think that one was there prior to "after the Christmas new regulations". It also said blunt end sewing scissors were allowed but mine were confiscated before Christmas, get this, plastic handles, blunt ends and 3". You should have seen the screener examine them before taking them! You would think I had a knife. I said I would really like to see me go after someone with those (said sweetly) and she said regulations, yet the web site said ok.

lorekauf, in April I have to change planes in Calgary to fly to the US. Is 2 hours enough for me to get through US customs, that is all I got.

lorekauf, in April I have to change planes in Calgary to fly to the US. Is 2 hours enough for me to get through US customs, that is all I got.

I think you will be ok...but who knows with the new regulations. Calgary is not a huge airport so I think that you may be better off in Calgary then Toronto or Montreal. That said....they don't have nearly as many US Customs agents. I've gotten through in 5 minures at times....other times an hour or more. It's usually quite bad for early flights in the morning...lets say 5 - 7 am. If you have a later flight I think you will be fine.

I think you will be ok...but who knows with the new regulations. Calgary is not a huge airport so I think that you may be better off in Calgary then Toronto or Montreal. That said....they don't have nearly as many US Customs agents. I've gotten through in 5 minures at times....other times an hour or more. It's usually quite bad for early flights in the morning...lets say 5 - 7 am. If you have a later flight I think you will be fine.

In Toronto I have never seen more than two US agents working at the same time (this is pre these new regualtions) I think the think ups are at the security gates not customs. I was hoping in Calgary that after I get my luggage, which I think I have to do before changing planes to the US, I have to go through the big lineup area. I arrive in Calgary at 10:00am I am going to San Diego to get a ship.

No...we still can't take carryons....but it's just temporary:rolleyes:. Yeah....I'd like to know where we are supposed to put all these items that they have approved for us to take on. So stupid!

I'm in the U.S. but I can certainly understand the frustration for all you folks in Canada. :(

If they're going to tell you WHAT you can bring, the least they should do is tell you HOW you're supposed to do it. You certainly can't be expected to carry medications, laptops, etc. in your hands - or pockets. Hopefully someone will come to their senses soon and get something out there other than knee-jerk type reactions.

You meant to put a :D after that, didn't you? I hope you didn't mean :confused:

Maybe we can buy a 5 cent shopping bag from them after we go through security.

"Did you need to purchase a bag?"

Slightly (ok completely) off topic but, can I just tell you how much I HATE having to shell out a nickle every time I forget my freakin' grocery bags!:mad:

As to these regulations, wth. That's all. Just wth.

I just hope that these "temporary" restrictions are gone by the time I have to fly accross the country with two connections to make a cruise. 'Cause you just know they're going to lose my luggage on that one:rolleyes:

Archived