New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

I agree with that statement 100%.

I do understand your frustration - and the unclear instructions as to what you can carry and how must really be aggravating.

And we're doing a lot of comparing apples and oranges - internatonal flights and flights within a countrys borders. I don't think anyone has mentioned this - can you have carry-ons on flights within Canada?

From what I read on our TSA website it just mentions "enhanced security - bag searches - pat-downs", etc. Has the Canadian TSA banned carry-ons to avoid the time taken for searches? Rather than our TSA giving specific instructions as to what incoming flights must do?

I can take a carry-on on domestic flights and also international flights. It is only when I fly to the US that I cannot have a carry-on. I am going to Cuba in March via Air Canada and will be allowed my carry-on.

The instructions are very clear. I think Lorekauf has a link a few posts back to the CATSA website. Post # 302.

The government would not be diverting valuable RCMP resources to help with the back-log of passengers waiting for clearance caused by the new American requirements if they did not have to. It is very costly to the taxpayers. They would be happier if the RCMP could just get back to their regular jobs.

...Has the Canadian TSA banned carry-ons to avoid the time taken for searches? Rather than our TSA giving specific instructions as to what incoming flights must do?

I am not sure anyone can answer your question short of saying Canada is complying with TSA directives for increased security measures. (post 311)

Thank you to all that defended what I have said. Too bad that people don't have the proper information then lash out at those that do. Yes....that does make me angry!

At 318 posts and growing, it would seem that this thread is a little taxing on reading comprehension :-)

Scott.

Are you deliberately trying to miss the point here?

No, I don't think so.

I totally understand that people are upset about extra security measures for flights to the US. Some are advocating that it should be that way for all flights but the reality is that the beiigest theats are against America and not places like Cuba or Canada.

If I did miss the point, please tell me what it is. (And I am not trying to be snarky, sometimes posts are missread)

No, I don't think so.

I totally understand that people are upset about extra security measures for flights to the US. Some are advocating that it should be that way for all flights but the reality is that the beiigest theats are against America and not places like Cuba or Canada.

If I did miss the point, please tell me what it is. (And I am not trying to be snarky, sometimes posts are missread)

You are 100% correct that the attacks by al-Qaida involving airliners have all been directed at the U.S. However, in their so-called global "jihad", they have attacked civilian and military targets in various countries around the world since their "war" is against the U.S. and any of its allies. In 2009, three Londoners were convicted of conspiring to detonate bombs disguised as soft drinks on seven airplanes bound for the United States and Canada.

You are 100% correct that the attacks by al-Qaida involving airliners have all been directed at the U.S. However, in their so-called global "jihad", they have attacked civilian and military targets in various countries around the world since their "war" is against the U.S. and any of its allies. In 2009, three Londoners were convicted of conspiring to detonate bombs disguised as soft drinks on seven airplanes bound for the United States and Canada.

Agreed! That's why I said 'biggest' threat, not 'only' threat. :)

I don't think too many terrorists are aiming at Cuba or Canada....

We are definitely a terrorist target. We have troops fighting in Afghanistan for which the Taliban have vowed revenge.

There was recently a large group arrested for running a terrorist training camp in northern Ontario. Their objective was to storm the Parliament Buildings and decapitate the Prime Minister. It was a major news story here but your media ignore stories that don't involve the US.

They also ignore the fact that our boys are dying while fighting your war. It is very discouraging to read statements to the effect that we have nothing to worry about here. It means people in the US have no idea of the sacrifice our troops are making and it makes one wonder why we bother.

Just read on the front page of The New York Times and heard on the news about an 8 year old boy who lives in New Jersey. He shares a name with a man of suspicion and when he was 2 years old he was patted dopwn at the airport. The mother is desperately trying to get his name off the list of suspected terrorists.

The screeners need to do a better job.

Ok, I'm not serious often but I am about to be right now.

Sapper is correct.

Remember 911. Well, some of those terrorists came down to Boston from Canada, as I recall. Horrible that they were in Canada and ultimately, the USA.

Also, she's very right about the sacrifices being made. We recently lost a close friend's son in Afghanistan. It was just about the saddest funeral I've ever attended.

Ok, off the soapbox now. But, I'm all for safety in the skies. Who isn't. I agree that Canadians shouldn't be singled out. Not sure where the new security rules are going but hope the geniuses in Washington, D.C. do something worth doing for all of us.

We are definitely a terrorist target. We have troops fighting in Afghanistan for which the Taliban have vowed revenge.

There was recently a large group arrested for running a terrorist training camp in northern Ontario. Their objective was to storm the Parliament Buildings and decapitate the Prime Minister. It was a major news story here but your media ignore stories that don't involve the US.

They also ignore the fact that our boys are dying while fighting your war. It is very discouraging to read statements to the effect that we have nothing to worry about here. It means people in the US have no idea of the sacrifice our troops are making and it makes one wonder why we bother.

I hope I have not left the impression that other countries are not threats! Indeed they are, especially those that (willingly) joined in 'our' war. ;) The reality is that the USA is still the biggest target.

My apologies if I gave that impression.

Somewhat connected and not just for our neighbors up north;):

This week, Delta AL, quickly copied by Continental AL, raised fees for bags checked at the airport to $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second, for travel within the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, and Puerto Rico (It's $2 less if you check in online.):eek:

Currently, with Air Canada, flying from Canada to the U.S., one may check, for free, up to three pieces of baggage, each with a maximum weight of 23 kgms. (50 lbs.)!:)

..They also ignore the fact that our boys are dying while fighting your war...

Its everyones war who believes that extremists cannot be allowed to win. NATO is standing with the US and that is how it should be. No one here, you included I am sure, would have it any other way.

Don't let yourself get sidetracked.

What is being said here is that the new rules are knee jerk and reactive - made in haste and more directed to blunting partisan political attack and hostile media reaction (ie FOX News et al) than to be a realistic and effective threat deterrent.

That is the point that is being made.

A carry-on bag in Toronto x-rayed and hand searched, taken on board by a passenger who has been patted down with the contents of his pockets and wallet and everything else hand searched is at least as safe as a carry-on boarded in the US that is just x-rayed.

Disallowing the carry-on, then not letting the pax use the washroom or read a book is being suggested here as unreasonable under these circumstances.

It is something you either agree with or you don't.

No one will change anybodies mind here.

But we can agree to disagree.

Smooth sailing to you :)

The rules are applied world wide.

These severe restrictions are not mentioned by British Airways for flights to the US:

Additional security measures for US flights

Summary

Following the recent introduction of revised security arrangements for all customers travelling into the USA, British Airways is clarifying its hand baggage policy for customers travelling INTO the USA, including those who are transferring onto flights to the USA.

Customers travelling in our World Traveller and World Traveller Plus economy cabins to the USA from Heathrow and Gatwick will continue to take only ONE ITEM OF HAND LUGGAGE.

Customers travelling in our Club World and First cabin to the USA from Heathrow, Gatwick and London City are now able to take the normal two bag hand luggage allowance.

All customers are advised to check-in as normal.

Customers travelling to destinations outside the United States or from the United States are not affected.

Remember 911. Well, some of those terrorists came down to Boston from Canada, as I recall. Horrible that they were in Canada and ultimately, the USA.

Sadly Suse, that is a myth, which the current Secretary for Homeland Security can't keep straight, but a myth nonetheless.

From the 9/11 Commission findings.

http://www.9-11commission.gov/staff_statements/911_TerrTrav_Monograph.pdf

... The 19 hijackers applied for 23 visas and obtained 22. Five other conspirators were denied U.S. visas. Two more obtained visas but did not participate in the attack for various reasons.

They began attempting to acquire U.S. visas in April 1999, two years and five months before the attack. Consular officers were unaware of the potential significance of an indicator of potential extremism present in some al Qaeda passports, had no information about fraudulent travel stamps that are associated with al Qaeda, and were not trained in terrorist travel tactics generally ...

Scott.

Sapp; there is a great & moving book out, I've read it after picking it up in Halifax last summer, entitled "Fifteen Days" by Canadian author Christie Blatchford. It details her time spend "in country" in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan in 2006 with members of the Canadian Battle Group (1st + 2nd Bat, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry from Edmonton, Alberta and the 1st Royal Canadian Horse Artillery from Shilo, Manitoba).

I would hope that most Americans realize that many of our allies, including you Canadians and those from my former home country, the Dutch, are fighting this war on terrorism alongside us in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of those brave men and women have lost their lives doing it. A sacrifice we should never forget! My hat goes off to all of them!

These severe restrictions are not mentioned by British Airways for flights to the US.

I can also speak with firsthand knowledge -- we flew back Lufthansa in F, from MUC to ORD on 03rd Jan 2010, on our way back from HKG, and I was permitted onboard with my regular briefcase (and contents) in addition to my leather duffel. There was additional gate screening (I was frisked so thoroughly I thought the screener should have at least bought me dinner first) however no additional restriction (aside from the already enacted 3-1-1 liquids rule).

Scott.

Sadly Suse, that is a myth, which the current Secretary for Homeland Security can't keep straight, but a myth nonetheless.

Oh, but that must be the same Secretary for Homeland Security who stated that "the system worked":eek: after Mr. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab attempted to blow up NW Flt 253 and his underwear on Christmas Day. No worries here, friends, please move along!:cool:

Archived