New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

We were so excited to get a direct flight from Ottawa to San Juan for our Southern Caribbean Cruise in February. Most times we have driven down to Florida to "catch" our cruise (loving how the roads change from snow covered to bare, and vegetation changes from bare branches to lush palm trees. . not so much loving the reverse change on the drive back:() After all these restrictions, I am cursing myself for not choosing something that leaves from someplace in Florida!

In our carry-on we always carried a change of clothes as usually luggage does not get to the room for hours and not keen on wandering around in warm weather in cold weather clothing. We just bought light weight luggage, but had not counted on putting everything in it!

I have food allergies, so usually bring my own food when traveling. What am I supposed to bring them in? A clear ziplock bag maybe--shall I sew on a handle?:rolleyes:

Where does one find an appropriate sized purse to fit all one's necessities? Looking at the Magellan catalogue, I see a few things that are 11 x 11, but maximum is 10 x 12. Are they bringing out the tape measure? Do I chance ordering something slightly bigger and hoping to get by? ( my current purse is more like 24*12*8--eyeball dimensions only!):confused:

You meant to put a :D after that, didn't you? I hope you didn't mean :confused:

Trying to keep up with the latest restrictions is confusing - hence :confused:

But it's also worthy of a big :D. Maybe even an :eek:. Also makes me :mad:.

Maybe we need a brand new icon ...

I'm in the U.S. but I can certainly understand the frustration for all you folks in Canada. :(

If they're going to tell you WHAT you can bring, the least they should do is tell you HOW you're supposed to do it. You certainly can't be expected to carry medications, laptops, etc. in your hands - or pockets. Hopefully someone will come to their senses soon and get something out there other than knee-jerk type reactions.

What makes this situation even more frustrating this the carry on & screening regulations for flights from Canada bound for the US are being treated differently then flights from many European countries.

We are being enduring much tougher measures, because of the Christmas Day bomber, when that flight wasn't connect to Canada in any way. Go figure!

In Toronto I have never seen more than two US agents working at the same time (this is pre these new regualtions) I think the think ups are at the security gates not customs. I was hoping in Calgary that after I get my luggage, which I think I have to do before changing planes to the US, I have to go through the big lineup area. I arrive in Calgary at 10:00am I am going to San Diego to get a ship.

Yes...you will for sure have to get your luggage as it will be your last point in Canada. I think the hold up will be at security...but there can be quite a backlog at customs as well. I think the fact that you will be there at 10am will be helpul. I think you should be fine at that time.

What makes this situation even more frustrating this the carry on & screening regulations for flights from Canada bound for the US are being treated differently then flights from many European countries.

We are being enduring much tougher measures, because of the Christmas Day bomber, when that flight wasn't connect to Canada in any way. Go figure!

Yeah...that's what I can't figure out. I'm wondering if because Canada rolls over for everyone....and never says no.

Where does one find an appropriate sized purse to fit all one's necessities? Looking at the Magellan catalogue, I see a few things that are 11 x 11, but maximum is 10 x 12. Are they bringing out the tape measure? Do I chance ordering something slightly bigger and hoping to get by? ( my current purse is more like 24*12*8--eyeball dimensions only!):confused:

I hear they don't get out the tape measure but I wouldn't doubt if they did. I've heard of someone that had to check in their laptop.....that's crazy...because it's supposed to be allowable.

I will be on the Ryndam next Sunday - flying out of Toronto on the 15th for Tampa. I have been checking the carry on rules and they seem to become more complicated each day.

Here is the latest CATSA list of items NOT considered carry ons.

It has pictures of ACCEPTABLE purses and laptop bags.

Note that knitting needles are okay - when wool is present.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/file/library/71/english/Exempt%20Items%20-%2008jan10(2)%20-%20EN.pdf

Hi, Just a quick statement, My area has just dodged the bullet. If idiot guy had detonated the bomb correctly it would have blown up over Lambton County, Ontario. Whatever they have to do to make it safer i'm all for it. My DH seems to think everyone should fly naked end of problem. I'm thinking not too many of us would fly!! Just my two cents

lmao

I will be on the Ryndam next Sunday - flying out of Toronto on the 15th for Tampa. I have been checking the carry on rules and they seem to become more complicated each day.

Here is the latest CATSA list of items NOT considered carry ons.

It has pictures of ACCEPTABLE purses and laptop bags.

Note that knitting needles are okay - when wool is present.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/file/library/71/english/Exempt%20Items%20-%2008jan10(2)%20-%20EN.pdf

I just have to roll my eyes when reading this, especially where it says "unless otherwise stated, the items must be carried on the person, and not inside a larger bag". These morons at CATSA must think that we all have 16 hands in order to be able to carry everything outside of a larger bag. No one seems to be listening to our complaints and I would really like to know who at the CATSA we should be speaking to. :mad:

I just have to roll my eyes when reading this, especially where it says "unless otherwise stated, the items must be carried on the person, and not inside a larger bag". These morons at CATSA must think that we all have 16 hands in order to be able to carry everything outside of a larger bag. No one seems to be listening to our complaints and I would really like to know who at the CATSA we should be speaking to. :mad:

Same here....I mean really...where are you supposed to put this stuff? This nonsense has gone on long enough. Maybe this is not going to end until tourism to the US starts to feel the pinch.

We were so excited to get a direct flight from Ottawa to San Juan for our Southern Caribbean Cruise in February. Most times we have driven down to Florida to "catch" our cruise (loving how the roads change from snow covered to bare, and vegetation changes from bare branches to lush palm trees. . not so much loving the reverse change on the drive back:() After all these restrictions, I am cursing myself for not choosing something that leaves from someplace in Florida!

In our carry-on we always carried a change of clothes as usually luggage does not get to the room for hours and not keen on wandering around in warm weather in cold weather clothing. We just bought light weight luggage, but had not counted on putting everything in it!

I have food allergies, so usually bring my own food when traveling. What am I supposed to bring them in? A clear ziplock bag maybe--shall I sew on a handle?:rolleyes:

Google "EagleCreek"! I have one and it is excellent!!!

I hear they don't get out the tape measure but I wouldn't doubt if they did. I've heard of someone that had to check in their laptop.....that's crazy...because it's supposed to be allowable.

Google "EagleCreek"! I have had one for several years and have travelled with it many times! It is 9"x10" with MANY (zippered) compartments! I would recommend an EagleCreek highly!!!

Google "EagleCreek"! I have had one for several years and have travelled with it many times! It is 9"x10" with MANY (zippered) compartments! I would recommend an EagleCreek highly!!!

I have something like this (I think) but's it's not that deep. How do you put your plane/cruise tickets in there? I think you can do better with a small purse but I should do a test drive.

What cruise tickets?

For HAL cruises, all you need is the Boarding pass you print from their site. You don't need all the additional pages. Plane tickets? A piece of paper with booking number.

How about meds in one of those boxes with the day of the week compartments in it? Or is this taking chances that this will be confiscated too? :rolleyes:

What cruise tickets?

For HAL cruises, all you need is the Boarding pass you print from their site. You don't need all the additional pages. Plane tickets? A piece of paper with booking number.

Whatever.....you know what I mean.....ya still have to carry paperwork. What about insurance....?...or should we put everything in our luggage....including meds? I sure hope you folks from the US aren't ever subjected to this stupidity. Then you can see what a source of frustration we are subjected to.

How about meds in one of those boxes with the day of the week compartments in it? Or is this taking chances that this will be confiscated too? :rolleyes:

Yeah...I wouldn't do that. I think it could be taken away. I think you need to have the bottle with the label on it.

Whatever.....you know what I mean.....ya still have to carry paperwork. What about insurance....?...or should we put everything in our luggage....including meds? I sure hope you folks from the US aren't ever subjected to this stupidity. Then you can see what a source of frustration we are subjected to.

You forgot to include confirmations for shore excursions, Pinnacle dining, wine cards etc. That, along with the cruise confirmation, passport, ticket confirmation and insurance confirmation sure makes for one bulky paper package.

Since prescription meds have to be in the original bottle with label, that adds more bulk. Then you have the little baggie with the allowable liquids and gels,along with reading material, wallet, comb, pen, cell phone, jewellery and whatever else I forgot to mention. Any help here???:confused:

If, by some miracle, one manages to cram all of this into a 10 x 12 x 5 purse in very precise jigsaw puzzle perfect manner, then some security agent doing the hand search of the purse will pull everything out all over the place. You will then be expected to do a precision repack in five seconds or less to clear the way for the next victim.

Until people from the US are subjected to this idiotic restriction, they really don't have a dog in this race.

You forgot to include confirmations for shore excursions, Pinnacle dining, wine cards etc. That, along with the cruise confirmation, passport, ticket confirmation and insurance confirmation sure makes for one bulky paper package.

Since prescription meds have to be in the original bottle with label, that adds more bulk. Then you have the little baggie with the allowable liquids and gels,along with reading material, wallet, comb, pen, cell phone, jewellery and whatever else I forgot to mention. Any help here???:confused:

If, by some miracle, one manages to cram all of this into a 10 x 12 x 5 purse in very precise jigsaw puzzle perfect manner, then some security agent doing the hand search of the purse will pull everything out all over the place. You will then be expected to do a precision repack in five seconds or less to clear the way for the next victim.

Until people from the US are subjected to this idiotic restriction, they really don't have a dog in this race.

Well exactly...I have a big, thick package of paper to go with me that I call tickets but it's everything you just mentioned. I think it's pretty easy to blow us off saying it's no big deal. Unless you've had to think/plan this you don't realize how much necessary "stuff" you need to bring. Because of this stupid rule I will not be able to bring things I enjoy. I just hope I can fit the stuff I really need to bring in my small purse.

Let me add, where I live we cannot find purses for sale that fit the requirements.

And let's not forget hotel confirmations (we have 2, one for the preflight night, and one for the precruise nights). Also, did you know that you aren't supposed to put rechargeable batteries in checked luggage?

And for a 15+ hours travel day, with no time to purchase food and still make connections, we have to schlep granola bars with us.

And if one is not comfortable with checking good jewelry or expensive accessories, one needs to have those on one's person, too.

DH is going to try carrying one of the cheap HAL totes.

I do agree it is challenging. We were in Paris, after the prior incident that changed everything on liquids. We had to rethink how we packed.

We generally board with one rolling case with all of these items. The case fits under the seat. We also carry on a garment bag each, which go in the overhead bins. That way, we have one bag and one personal item each. I do not carry a purse. My husband has a large document case he wears under his jacket where we put all our travel documents, passports and money.

I agree with all the travel documents being printed computer pieces of paper, it is bulky. They all look alike too. I have started to save some of the cruise line ticket cases, especially the ones from Princess which are clear plastic, so that we put our cruise info in one, air in another and hotels in a third. This way we only take out what we need, i.e., at the airport check in, less risk of losing something.

We generally board with one rolling case with all of these items. The case fits under the seat. We also carry on a garment bag each, which go in the overhead bins.

Canadians are permitted a small purse or pouch (current info from CATSA says 10" x 12" x 5", a few days ago it was 10" x 12" x 2"). Substantially different than a rolling case and garment bag. Of course, if you are Canadian and carrying a musical instrument, the musical instrument is supposed to be allowed into the plane cabin. I'm considering taking tuba lessons in the 4 days before we fly -- at least I'd be able to get a change of underwear onto the plane.

IF one can find a small purse or pouch that meets the size restrictions, one would be fortunate indeed to be able to put the cruise line document package in it AND be able to access it as needed.

Canadians are permitted a small purse or pouch (current info from CATSA says 10" x 12" x 5", a few days ago it was 10" x 12" x 2"). Substantially different than a rolling case and garment bag. Of course, if you are Canadian and carrying a musical instrument, the musical instrument is supposed to be allowed into the plane cabin. I'm considering taking tuba lessons in the 4 days before we fly -- at least I'd be able to get a change of underwear onto the plane.

Hey get in line! My cello gets first dibs on cabin space. ;)

Too bad Air Canada has thought of this in advance :-)

Musical instruments as carry-on baggage:

Air Canada will try to accommodate smaller musical instruments (such as violins) as part of a passenger's carry-on baggage allowance only if the instruments can be stowed in an approved area for cabin baggage (i.e. overhead bin, underneath passenger seat).

Customers are reminded to arrive prepared to check the item, as it is never guaranteed that it can be accommodated on board due to passenger loads, aircraft limitations and/or storage space available.

Musical instruments as checked baggage:

If checked in separately, a musical instrument is considered a piece of baggage that counts towards your free checked baggage allowance.

Musical instruments are subject to all applicable additional checked baggage charges. An extra piece charge will be collected at the airport for each piece that exceeds the free checked baggage allowance on an Air Canada or Jazz flight.

For oversized instruments measuring more than 115in/292cm (e.g. guitars, tubas, double basses), please contact your Air Canada Cargo local sales office for handling.

Exception: Air Canada Cargo cannot handle shipments from or via the US as passengers are considered as unknown shippers for cargo purposes. Please contact another shipping company for this service.

In some cases, a seat may also be purchased for these instruments. Contact Air Canada Reservations for more information

Hehehe.

Scott.

I have something like this (I think) but's it's not that deep. How do you put your plane/cruise tickets in there? I think you can do better with a small purse but I should do a test drive.

Easy! Just slip any paper material into one of the many zippered/latched compartments! I have done this for years with no problems!

The allowable (Canadian) "metric" dimensions for your single item carry-on man/woman purse is 25 cm x 30 cm, which translates to 9" x 12"!

Check out www.eaglecreek.com

and have a look at the "Vagabond" model!

Also, CAA carrys a multi zippered compartment bag, called "Multi-Purpose Travel Kit (Bag/Purse) named "Bon Voyage" that measures 7" x 9"

Archived