Taking lunch from ship.....

new cruiser 2010

We will be off of the ship for most lunches during our upcoming cruise, on NCL.

I was wondering if it is acceptable practice to take food items from the buffet, and pack them as a lunch, while off the ship? I am aware that many people take extra food items to their cabins for snacks, but this isn't what I am asking.

We are pretty lite eaters, and buying a full lunch at ports-of-call isn't really something we want to do. I would appreciate any feedback on this. I don't want to break any rules of ettiquete! Thank you in advance.

We will be off of the ship for most lunches during our upcoming cruise, on NCL.

I was wondering if it is acceptable practice to take food items from the buffet, and pack them as a lunch, while off the ship? I am aware that many people take extra food items to their cabins for snacks, but this isn't what I am asking.

We are pretty lite eaters, and buying a full lunch at ports-of-call isn't really something we want to do. I would appreciate any feedback on this. I don't want to break any rules of ettiquete! Thank you in advance.

It is against the law in most ports to do this.

You are not allowed to bring any non-packaged food off this ship at any ports. Makes sense when you think about it. You can bring any packaged type foods such as granola bars, energy bars, etc.

Anyway, we always eat a big breakfast in the morning. I always bring some pre-packaged snack bars with us and water bottles which we use while at port, then after we get back on the ship we stop for a snack. I bring the snack bars from home with me for both the cruise ports and also while flying.

This works out well and we don't have to be lugging alot of stuff with us as we walk around the ports.

Also keep in mind, that some excursions include food.

In most places, it's against their local agricultural laws to take food off the ship, unless it's factory sealed foods. You absolutely cannot take fruit, vegetables, meats or bakery items. At some ports they have inspectors checking bags and making people throw things away. It's just like when you come back to the US after being in a foreign country---US laws don't allow you to bring back any items like fruit, meat, flowers etc. This is done to protect the areas from pests that could kill their local agriculture.

I bring granola bars with me. Especially good for on the airplane as well. (Murphy's Law - If you don't have anything to eat, you will be starving. If you have something, you won't need it.)

It's nice to have something just in case. I've been on excursions where we were supposed to stop for food, but didn't for one reason or another. If they have the little inndividual boxes of cereal, that is ok to bring.

Kathy

Cruise terminals and ports are "ports of entry" into a country just like the airport is, the same food laws apply.

Enjoy a snack or a light lunch at a local cafe, or get it to take away for a picnic on a beach or park.

Try the local beer or wine.

Or, go to a local market for fruit, cheese etc. and have a picnic that way.

Travel is pointless without soaking up some local atmosphere.;)

Such great information from others with experience!

I really appreciate the time you guys took to post this information.

Does the info still hold true if I will be in Hawaii? Cruising around the islands (domestic only)?

Really getting excited for this adventure......imagine, a homegrown California girl who has never seen the island state ALLLLLL these years.

Does the info still hold true if I will be in Hawaii? Cruising around the islands (domestic only)?

Really getting excited for this adventure......imagine, a homegrown California girl who has never seen the island state ALLLLLL these years.

Hawaii has the most strict laws regarding this. Their ecosystem is quite fragile and they absolutely do not allow you to bring food off the ship.

I've never had something like a sealed small box of cereal or a granola bar taken, but apparently it can happen. Given the small cost of same, that is still my recommendation. I always bring some sealed granola bars, packages of nuts or snack mix or the like which I sometimes bring on days onshore.

Depending where my ports of call are (next time it's Mexico) I don't always feel comfortable sampling the local cuisine, not do I always want to take the time to sit down for a lunch.

Aloha

OP, you're a California Girl, like me...

either you will remember our medfly infestation or have relatives that can give you all the horror details of it!

That is a perfect example of why it isn't allowed.

Hawaii is just the same as anyone who trys to bring fruit into California.

Once you get to Hawaii, you will find that their fruit is just phenomenal Try the strawberry papayas and guava!

and if you can get your hands on one of their avocados...WOW!

A local snack could be Lapperts Ice Cream which is a must!

You will see ABC stores all over on Oahu and Maui,and to a lesser degree elsewhere

they have all sorts of snacks you can pick up, along with souvenirs

They are about the size of a 7-11 and pack into that space almost everything you can think of ..from Magnets to Moisturizer, ready to go Sushi to T-shirts!

They have refridgerator cooler just like 7-11 with every drink imaginable..they have prepackaged fridge snacks

like yogurt, fruit, sandwhiches...

in some stores you can even find Shu Mai, Pork Buns and

the delicacy of Spam Masubi!!!! YUMMY..cheap, light and quick snack

You can always split a lunch...that is perfectly acceptable

throughout Hawaii

Have a wonderful time and as you wander around Hawaii...

enjoying the Hawaiian specialties as if you were a Kamaaina :)

When my inlaws moved back to GA for CA, my MIL had to leave several treasured house plants. It was against the law to take them out of California.

When my inlaws moved back to GA for CA, my MIL had to leave several treasured house plants. It was against the law to take them out of California.

How would anyone know if you took plants outside the state?

When exiting California on I-5 northbound there is no agriculture check station. Same for I-10 and I-8 eastbound.

How would anyone know if you took plants outside the state?

When exiting California on I-5 northbound there is no agriculture check station. Same for I-10 and I-8 eastbound.

But there may be agricultural check points on entry to Georgia.

Never been through an agricultural checkpoint in any other state than California and I have driven through plenty of states coast to coast.

Me too, and I'm a truck driver.

Anyway, the poster that I responded to said that her in-law wasn't allowed to take the plants out of California, not that they were disallowed into Georgia.

Archived