Nieuw Amsterdam Maiden Voyage - concerns

shifty

We are experienced cruisers, but new to Holland America. We are considering the Nieuw Amsterdam's 22 day maiden voyage on July 4th.

However, we have real concerns about a ship's maiden voyage, e.g. will the ship be fully finished, will the crew be up to speed, familiar with the ship, etc.

Has anyone been on Holland America's maiden voyages that can share their experiences?

Should we be concerned?

Thanks.

Mike S.

We were on Eurodam's inaugural (and three-day pre-inaugural) cruise in JUL 08, as were many 'regular' CC members here. There were some issues with service, primarily in the Lido Restaurant for breakfast. You're gonna get that with a brand new ship and a brand new crew, attempting to get in a good rhythm. On top of that, they were missing crew who could not board in Rotterdam due to visa issues. Things worked itself out as the inaugural cruise went on. Bottom line: it will not be as smooth as a ship that's been out for a while and has a "routine" going. If you keep that in mind, you'll be fine!

Should you be concerned - YES!

We were on the inaugural of the Eurodam for 23-days. We won't do an inaugural again. We expected the 'bumps' of things not being as usual on HAL. Some things not being quite finished, the crew not accustomed to working together and that happened. That wasn't the issue for us. What we didn't expect was to feel as though we were 'inconveniences' to the powers that be. We, the paying passengers, were in the way of their VIPs and festivities.

We did the inaugural of the Noordam. Except for second seating of dinner getting a late start the first night all was fine. The ship was really decked out with extra flowers. It was like a new car. Everything smelled so good.

Did an inaugrual many years ago when I was in the travel business. Never again.

We make it a policy not to cruise on a new ship or a ship coming out of major dry-dock for at least three months after it goes into service. Just too many problems.

You are right to be concerned. I was onthe first 20 days of the E-dam inaugural, and, had it not been for my friends on board, would have been miserable.

The staff just did not have it together in any meaningful way; lounge service was terrible. We would sit in the cocktail lounge for a long time and not be waited on. Once a steward did appear he was not to be seen again---even though others had joined the group. No chance for a refill on the drinks.

Doors in the dining room steward stations were missing, or hanging off their hinges. One friend had a terrible time in her cabin---shower coming apart on her while she was in it, plumbing problems---lots of things not correctly assembled when the cabin was installed.

Be concerned. Be very concerned about cruising on a brand new ship.

If she's being launched in July and not coming to FLL until the fall, I'd think she would be pretty well shaken down by then.

In a similar situation a few years ago, we sailed on Oosterdam on her second cruise after coming to FLL, following several cruises in Europe, and things were fine on board. I think she had been in service three or four months before she came to Florida.

If she's being launched in July and not coming to FLL until the fall, I'd think she would be pretty well shaken down by then.

In a similar situation a few years ago, we sailed on Oosterdam on her second cruise after coming to FLL, following several cruises in Europe, and things were fine on board. I think she had been in service three or four months before she came to Florida.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I had read too many poor reports about inaugural cruises, but figured by the time she got to FLL she would be running smoothly... and her prices would be within our budget! :)

I was on the Noordam Inaugural - Everything was near-perfect.

I expected the same on the Eurodam Inaugural - and was disappointed to experience several failures on HAL's part.

(No fault of the staff and crew aboard ship - but big failures from the folks running the asylum in Seattle & Miami)

Having been on two inaugurals, the confetti and fireboats don't make up for the probability of organizational failure, disruption by TA tours in every port and the presence of Carnival/HAL executives...

...much less paying double for the privilege.

If you really want that Inaugural plate and book...

...buy it from a TA off eBay the week after the first cruise.

I was on the Noordam Inaugural - Everything was near-perfect.

I expected the same on the Eurodam Inaugural - and was disappointed to experience several failures on HAL's part.

(No fault of the staff and crew aboard ship - but big failures from the folks running the asylum in Seattle & Miami)

Having been on two inaugurals, the confetti and fireboats don't make up for the probability of organizational failure, disruption by TA tours in every port and the presence of Carnival/HAL executives...

...much less paying double for the privilege.

If you really want that Inaugural plate and book...

...buy it from a TA off eBay the week after the first cruise.

Those TA tours will continue for a few months after the inaugural as well. I was part of a TA organized tour of about 100 people who toured the Eurodam in early October of 2009---over three months after her maiden voyage.

While DW and I have avoided this phenomenon .. my parent went on the maiden voyage of the Volendam. I just reread the letter they sent HAL and won't publish it as I like HAL too much. That having been said, refreshing my memory of two 80+ folks coping with all the problems in their cabin is why we would never take a maiden voyage.

harry

It's a common fact on any new cruise ship that is coming in to service, here is a big chance of problems. It's advised not to sail on inaugurals, but to wait a view weeks months. So wait is my advice.

To speak fore HAL, HAL have every right to have the top on board the ship, and have media presentations and tours with visitors. The problem is that people wanted to be the first look me I'm on the maiden. It's all in the game, you know HAL (actually all cruise lines) have to put there new shinny new ship in the spot lights. To attract attention in order to get the ship in the news, and attract new passengers. Fore all the complainers you could have know what to expect on a maiden. You are able to write down you're complains here. You could browse the net and find out what to expect on a maiden. Thousands of story's out there. From Titanic not so successful maiden up to the new big Oasis maiden.

Have a nice cruise I think Nieuw Amsterdam would be a great vessel.

Greetings Ben.

Thanks, Ben. Well said. HAL has every right to promote any ship, especially a new one. If that promotion inconveniences paying passengers.....well, that's just one of the costs of doing business.

However, there's more to it that that. Most new ships start their careers with lots of mechanical malfunctions that are the natural result of the assembly of such an incredibly complicated piece of machinery.

Ships are built by humans and mistakes are made in that process. It takes a few cruises, a kind of on-the-job training, to correct those mistakes.

Usually they are corrected within three or four months and the ship goes on to a career of as much as 30 or 40 years.

We just avoid sailing until those three or four months have passed and, hopefully, the ship is running smoothly.

John & I were also on both Noordam's & Eurodam's inaugural sailings. It was like we were on 2 different cruise lines. :confused:

I think one of the biggest reasons the Noordam cruise itself was so successful was that she sailed from Venice empty of paying passengers. The crew had almost 10 days to learn to work together & get out some of those kinks. Then Noordam made a stop in Boston for an over-night cruise for TAs before coming to NYC. Yes, that first night, 2nd seating the doors to the MDR did open maybe 15 minutes late & you'd have thought some folks had never eaten before :rolleyes:. And the entire voyage was special. Everyone was in a festive mood & whole sailing was treated as a maiden voyage.

A few years later we spend a lot more money on cruise & airfare to Europe & are treated like peasants :eek: . Unfortunately John & I were unable to make the time commitment for the extra days in Rotterdam, so didn't get to attend the actual christening of the new ship. We boarded in Copenhagen. While the Scandinavian scenery was lovely, only those who boarded in Holland were considered to be inaugural pax. Not what we were told when we booked or what we paid for. And then, she wasn't ready, the poor crew wasn't ready & the executives took up premium time & space.

Although we thoroughly enjoyed our time w/friends, it was just such a letdown after the previous fantastic experience. We don't need to pay extra for a European inaugural again.

Archived