WARNING to CANADIAN passengers

Edward50

OK maybe the title is a little dramatic but read on.

There have been a number of threads about the horrific exchange rate offered to Canadian and other non-US passengers. Just do a search on foreign exchange rates to see the latest. My thread is here specifically aimed at Canadian passengers who have made their original booking in Canadian dollars. I would like them to be aware of the shell game that RCCL plays with exchange rates after you have booked.

When I first made my reservation I booked in Canadian dollars. The amount in Canadian as opposed to the US was very reasonable and it saved me money to book in Canadian rather than have my bank convert the US total to the Canadian equivalent. No problem there.

Also I realize that once on board I can request that RCCL process my purchases in US and let my credit card company do the exchange. This is usually 2 or 3 cents more than market. No problem here.

The problem comes in if you pay for something prior to the cruise. You must pay for it in the same currency in which you booked. For instance, with the new program called "Dining my Way" you must pay for your gratuities in advance. For this program gratuities are mandatory.

For our 14 days cruise my spouse where told that the cost of gratuities would be $340 Cdn. If I was paying in US the amount would be $273 US. 340 divided by 273 works out to an exchange rate of about 1.25. The current rate today was 1.07. The exchange of 1.25 was from another century I am sure.

If we add a reasonable service fee of 3 cents to the current rate of 1.07 the most I should pay is 1.10 X $273US or about $300 cnd and not $340.

I checked other exchange rates offered by RCCL. They range from 1.04 to 1.25. There is no consistency. Also they do not post any of their rates online. Like I mentioned it is a shell game. I have noted that in other threads passengers have asked RCCL to explain the incredibly high exchange rates but they did not receive a reply.

Do we have to put up with this? NO WE DO NOT!

I have been a loyal members for many years and if I do not see this resolved I WILL TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

I have tried to resolve this by phone but customer service indicates that they do not know why there is a wide range of rates. I will send an email to RCCL and will ask for a response and will let you know their answer.

This should not stop others from voicing their concerns. If you agree that the Canadian rates (or other foreign currencies) offered are unjust then send an email. If we do not complain then it will just continue.

Also I have a cruise credit that is (you guessed it) in Canadian dollars. I am not sure what it is worth. Again I asked RCCL customer services but they were not able to give me this information. Has anyone out there recently used a Canadian cruise credit or had their on board invoice converted to Canadian by RCCL? If so what was the rate of exchange that was applied. Thanks.

wa

I had issues with RCI after our fabulous Liberty cruise last spring.

Basically I told RCI not to do the conversion for me as I have a USD credit card. I got my invoice on the last day and found my transactions billed in CAD to my USD credit card. Completely backwards. For more, you can read about the incident in my thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=961963&highlight=

Hello, I also booked in Canadian dollars without really thinking things through until after the fact. Unfortunately interest rates are a moving crap game. I think you have to take an average and hope you come out on top after factoring the rates credit cards or banks charge for the privilege. Yes some items I have looked at have fluctuated a couple of points more than the exchage rate with no explanation but at the end of the day it's not going to break the bank. I think I rationalized my booking in Canadian funds as going through the same decision you make if you want to have a fixed rate mortgage or variable rate. I secured my booking for the Oasis of the Seas Feb 27 2010 sailing back in September for roughly 93 cents US. My final payment date was late December 2009. The rate fluctuated quite a bit in that time frame almost going as high as 97.5 cents I believe. But it could have gone the other way in these volatile economic times. I felt secure that 93 cents was a good rate, if it was 97 cents on my booking I would have been "out" a few hundred bucks. But in this particular situation My Oasis cruise has gone up about $4,000 since then and my rate in December ended up to be around 93 cents without a conversion fee because at 93.5 cents plus a couple of cents it would be roughly 91 cents. So, so far I'm up. I agree with your point though that RCCL should have concrete and transparent rules for conversion because when I enquired about it nobody could give me a straight answer. I didn't want to push it in one particluar case in my booking because I also booked My Time Dining, where I had to prepay the gratuities, but in my instance the total should have been $341.25 US according to the RCCL guidelines but they charged me $341.25 CDN. So go figure, maybe there haphazard policy worked in my favour this time! But in the end booking in US funds and paying a CDN conversion requires you to be an economist and part time gambler in economic forecast. Pretty difficult. Maybe the only thing that can determine a predictable outcome is pure old fashioned luck.

Cheers!:)

THis is the same in the UK as well, book inthe UK pay in £ then we have to pay in £ for all things book with RCL prior to the cruise. Rtaes also vary, and no clear answers this side fo the pond either.

It's crazy isn't it. I'm looking at excursions for our next cruise and will definitely not book them up front through RCCL UK. Just a cursory comparison with the identical tour priced in $ is a real eye opener. :eek:

I find this akk very interesting and typical. So my question is, could RCI be including a Foreign Transcation Fee in their exchange rate. This would be their cost of business if you wish. Their cost of exchanging the currency or charges. Just a thought:)

I am the originator of this thread. Yes, this could very well be a transaction fee. If it is, my point is that the fee is excessive and RCCL will not publish an ongoing rate of exchange that is consistent.

For instance, if RCCL would process my gratuities today in US dollars instead of Canadian, my bank would debit my account $300 cdn for the $273US charge. My bank through VISA has added added 3% to the daily rate of 1.07 as a processing fee.

RCCL would like to do the same transaction for $340 cdn. That is 13% higher than the bank! If that is not excessive what is? I am sure that from time to time someone in head office of RCCL reads these links. Maybe they could shed some light on the subject.

I am the originator of this thread. Yes, this could very well be a transaction fee. If it is, my point is that the fee is excessive and RCCL will not publish an ongoing rate of exchange that is consistent.

For instance, if RCCL would process my gratuities today in US dollars instead of Canadian, my bank would debit my account $300 cdn for the $273US charge. My bank through VISA has added added 3% to the daily rate of 1.07 as a processing fee.

RCCL would like to do the same transaction for $340 cdn. That is 13% higher than the bank! If that is not excessive what is? I am sure that from time to time someone in head office of RCCL reads these links. Maybe they could shed some light on the subject.

Please forgive my naiveté. Do you have the option of asking RCI to process your gratuities in US dollars on board? Or request to move to My Time Dining once you are on board. Is that not allowed?

Basically I told RCI not to do the conversion for me as I have a USD credit card. I got my invoice on the last day and found my transactions billed in CAD to my USD credit card.

Sadly, this is absolutely the norm. We have had this same issue every RCI cruise. It stinks. It makes me want to take American cash with us and pay the bill on the last night just so it won't go through on the credit card. Ridiculous. I shouldn't have to be worrying about things like this on my vacation. RCI should be doing it right in the first place.

I have had a number of negative experiences with RCI and their billing to Canadian CC. Even when one specifically requests that amounts be billed in US $ RCI trends heavily to ignoring the request and billing in CA $ with their service fee tacked on.

If RCI quoted you in US $ and you have asked RCI to bill in US $ and they do not, you can contest the charge with your credit card company.

Please forgive my naiveté. Do you have the option of asking RCI to process your gratuities in US dollars on board? Or request to move to My Time Dining once you are on board. Is that not allowed?

That is what I do (I pay the bill the last night of the cruise before the CC can be processed). Problem with the MTD suggestion is that this could be unavailable for reserving when boarded. The MTD fee is the smallest amount to be honest..... it's the on board bill which racks up which concerns me the most.

Always, always, always ask the check-in agent to tick the box on their screen that declines the currency conversion. Some of them don't even know where it is!:eek: If that box is not ticked, you will be charged in CAD no matter what box you tick on your Set Sail Pass. I learned the hard way.

Also I have a cruise credit that is (you guessed it) in Canadian dollars. I am not sure what it is worth. Again I asked RCCL customer services but they were not able to give me this information. Has anyone out there recently used a Canadian cruise credit or had their on board invoice converted to Canadian by RCCL? If so what was the rate of exchange that was applied. Thanks.

wa

Hi there! Actually the OBC amount if in CAD will be switched to USD once on board. The good news is that when they convert it to USD they actually are using the current rate + a few points in your favor. In the end the OBC works out to just under par when changing OBC to USD dollars.:):D Surprisingly that part they actually do well.;)

Always, always, always ask the check-in agent to tick the box on their screen that declines the currency conversion. Some of them don't even know where it is!:eek: If that box is not ticked, you will be charged in CAD no matter what box you tick on your Set Sail Pass. I learned the hard way.

All the port agents in all the ports just had a big meeting about this very thing in October just past. It should no longer be a problem like it was to opt out of the conversion program.

Actually you have to distinguish the various actions:

1) Booking: As for Europe we don´t have a choice (unless I book with an US TA). We can only book in the currency of our country (in my case Euro).

2) Online Purchase (Specialty Restaurants, Shore Tours): All online purchase is in the currency you booked with. I didn´t see any big differences regarding the rate. The USD was transferred to Euro according to the rate of the day.

3) Onboard Account: Here you have a choice!! For me it´s usually better to chose USD as onboard currency. Otherwise RCI will charge me 3 % for their "service" to convert the USD to Euro and then my credit card company is charging me another 1.5 % as foreign transaction fee (as the CC is charged by RCI Miami - doesn´t matter what currency; only within the countries having the Euro as their currency I´m not charged any foreign transaction fee).

As for No. 3: Yes, there are frequent problems! Even if you´ve chosen USD they charge you in your local currency. Usually you get your money back by RCI when you call them. I´ve been fortunate as this never happened to me so far :-). Check your bill online on the iTV while you´re cruising. Check your bill when leaving the ship. Cross out the 3% option with a red marker and highlight the USD option on your SetSailPass. Keep a copy of your SetSailPass to prove what you´ve opted!

steamboats

It's not only on board charges that are outrageously over priced, we had booked the Vision for September Europe itinerary in Cdn dollars. I just checked last week while on the Serenade the USD prices for the same cabin were 26% less - when I did a bit of digging, I discovered the pricing for this particular cruise ranged from 191/2 to 27% diff between CDN and USD- that's outrageous. I emailed my TA and she changed our booking to USD. They allow $235 Cdn diamond balcony discount vs $300 USD - that's almost a 28% diff. You really need to check each sailing - it's not a blanket X%, it varies by sailing/ship.

In terms of onboard account, we highlighted and red underlined on our Seapass to make sure it was charged in USD and everything went thru fine.

I really don't know where they come up with the rates.

I'm in the UK and I always tick the box for my bank to do the exchange and so far have had no problems. I must admit though I've never really thought about it too much as our onboard account is never high enough to make much difference. I do however, purchase cruise excursions and pay in £'s before I go. I never gave it much thought but now I'm thinking I should wait till I get on board and pay cash in US dollars (if I can risk them not selling out). There are 5 of us and cruise excursions make quite an indent in our budget - if it's cheaper to pay on board then I will. Is there much difference in price? I guess I'll have to check out the US site for excursion prices before I book anything from now on.

The rate you are seeing ($1.07) is not the rate you would be able to purchase $US as a consumer. For a better comparison of the differences, call your bank and find out what the consumer rate is. When you check on line you are getting a ForEx rate that really isn't applicable to the average person.

That is what I do (I pay the bill the last night of the cruise before the CC can be processed). Problem with the MTD suggestion is that this could be unavailable for reserving when boarded. The MTD fee is the smallest amount to be honest..... it's the on board bill which racks up which concerns me the most.

Forgive me for being stupid, if you pay the last night, I take it you are still paying with your Credit Card but are on hand to make sure the transaction goes through correctly.

Is this what you are saying?

Forgive me for being stupid, if you pay the last night, I take it you are still paying with your Credit Card but are on hand to make sure the transaction goes through correctly.

I got the impression that she pays cash for the account before the cc is charged

It's not just cruise companies that do this. If you pick up a book in a book store, flip it over and you see a Canadian price and a US price. The ones I've seen are usually around $17.99 US or $25.99 Canadian. The same goes on alot of items, Greeting Cards, etc, $2.99 US, $4.99 Canadian. Even when our dollar was worth more than the US dollar, we were still paying an extremely higher rate on the same items.

It's very unfair, but it seems to happen all over. :confused:

Sorry for not being clear..... I usually settle with cash or US dollar travellers cheques and I buy my currency at what I hope is the best price (:cool:) I keep any currency for the next trip abroad.

It's not only on board charges that are outrageously over priced, we had booked the Vision for September Europe itinerary in Cdn dollars. I just checked last week while on the Serenade the USD prices for the same cabin were 26% less - when I did a bit of digging, I discovered the pricing for this particular cruise ranged from 191/2 to 27% diff between CDN and USD- that's outrageous. I emailed my TA and she changed our booking to USD. They allow $235 Cdn diamond balcony discount vs $300 USD - that's almost a 28% diff. You really need to check each sailing - it's not a blanket X%, it varies by sailing/ship.

In terms of onboard account, we highlighted and red underlined on our Seapass to make sure it was charged in USD and everything went thru fine.

I really don't know where they come up with the rates.

At least you actually get a choice, we are stuck with a different currency and the rate is usually off and in favor of RCL.

Archived