Please Royal Caribbean try this out.

marooner

I also recall big bon voyage parties way back when --lots of streamers, champagne & waving goodbye--esp for transatlantic voyages...& it did not cost anything to attend......

but now, Oh my NO--it is crowded enough & takes long enough just to get everyone & their stuff on board...on days when they have special events pre-cruise for TAs & as tasters for locals, it really slows things down.... Hope they do not do this....not to mention the security issues invloved!!!!

Bad Idea!!!

I've heard the announcement, it is repeated a number of times. I have no idea who they are, I've never rushed back down to see who is exiting the gangway. I assume they are RC ground operations staff, port staff, etc.

Princess would not attempt the program if there was a doubt they couldn't make it work. If it turns out it is too difficult they will terminate it, if it works it is an additional source of revenue to enhance the bottom line. I think it would be successful for RCI, especially on the Oasis.

They often have lots of travel agents onboard for a tour.

Princess Cruise's newest idea.

A program to give passengers a chance to invite friends and family aboard on embarkation day to wish them “bon voyage.”

“Unique in the cruise industry, the Bon Voyage Experience enables passengers to extend an invitation to their guests to join them onboard…for a four-course dining room lunch with wine, a ship tour and even a souvenir photo,” the cruise line says in a press release.

The program’s cost is $39 per person. It will debut in March in the ports of Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale, then on to New York, San Francisco and Seattle.

Such a sign of the times. When I first started crusining, your family and well wishers were allowed onboard with you. There used to be Bon Voyage parties going on all over the ship ... in staterooms ... public rooms. It was such fun saying goodbye when the "All Ashore ... " announcement would come and then you'd rush to the decks to wave goodbye while they were standing dockside! Fond memories, those.

Sure, increase the number of people waiting to board in addition to the number of people trying to get lunch in the Windjammer...My vote is NO.

###

Maybe you didn't read the post.

four-course dining room lunch with wine

Just personally and probably selfishly, think it is a great idea. We live within an hour or so of the cruise terminals and would be great to have the kids have lunch with us instead of just dropping us off and waving goodbye. (I mean 40+ something "kids".) I remember taking the oldest (20 some years ago) to the ship to start their honeymoon and spending lunch with them to celebrate. It even makes it great talking about the cruise later because they saw your room and the pool and disco and all the other things you're gushing with ethusiasm after the cruise (before the "post cruise blues" hit you).

Kathryn

Like who?

RCI already does this with non sailing wedding guests and when it has Travel Agents come onboard to do a site inspection. But they do no t yet charge for this. I would guess most of the cruiselines have a program like this in place. One where wedding guests can come onboard for the wedding, reception then of course non sailing guests have to get off prior to sailing. The non sailing guests names have to sent in ahead of time and are on a seperate list, they also have to have id such as a state issued drivers license that is held by the terminal staff, then when the guests get off they turn in their visitors pass and they retreive their id and leave.

If the cruiselines start to do this as a source for revenue, I would guess that is has to be limited to a certain number, as in first come first served. A ship that hold say 2600 sailing guests, could not take on say 1500 non sailing guests onboard for luncheon. Or maybe they coulde, but I still say it would have to be a limited number of guests that can do this.

Annieeee

Annieeee

Princess Cruise's newest idea.

A program to give passengers a chance to invite friends and family aboard on embarkation day to wish them “bon voyage.”

“Unique in the cruise industry, the Bon Voyage Experience enables passengers to extend an invitation to their guests to join them onboard…for a four-course dining room lunch with wine, a ship tour and even a souvenir photo,” the cruise line says in a press release.

The program’s cost is $39 per person. It will debut in March in the ports of Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale, then on to New York, San Francisco and Seattle.

Where did you see this? NewspaperP Princess Ad?

Thanks for the info.

Annieeee

A few years ago, 2003 or 2004, a TA friend arranged for a group from my community to tour a Celebrity ship and have lunch in the main dining room. There were probably 40 to 50 of us. After lunch, which was very fancy and included wine, we were given a tour of a few of the cabins. We were able to see the penthouse suite, which will be the only time I'll set foot in one! The security was very strict and we weren't allowed to wander around the ship. In fact, we really didn't mingle with the passengers.

I think it's a great idea. I have relatives in Miami who I think they'd enjoy wishing us a "bon voyage" this way. They used to come to the port to see us off but now you really can't do that.

I agree PC. Unless they can find a way where it will not cause delays in boarding for the ones booked then I vote no too.

I read about this Bon Voyage Experience on Frommer's. Passengers and their guests would have priority boarding and it is limited to around 50 people per cruise. And if a guest books a cruise, Princess will deduct the $39 from the price of their trip. The guests are required to imput their pre-boarding security information on the cruiseline's online cruise personalizer.

"Guests get lunch and a nice bon voyage experience, but there's more: Passengers and their guests also get priority embarkation on sailing day -- a bonus that's usually reserved for suite guests and other VIPs. Also, if guests do decide to book a cruise after having their trademarked "Bon Voyage Experience"sm, they can deduct the $39 cost from the price of their trip."

Guests were allowed on years ago ( 20+) - and for free! I had some Florida based family members "see me off" I don't recall if there was any lunch offered, but I do remember my uncle being offered a drink. When he took the first sip, the server THEN asked him for money.

Crowds ( and ships) were much samller then. I also do not recall if there was any type of security to hold up lines.

M

Archived