Anyone been seasick on Prinsedam?

svetty

I am researching a cruise to go to, and found an amazing cruise from Rome to Athens with a stop in Israel. However, the ship Prinsedam, as far as i can see is very small and also pretty old. Has anyone been on the ship and got some feedback about the size? I am mostly worried about my SO being seasick. Although we'll be cruising mediterrenean sea and it shouldnt be too rough, i am worried about the age of the ship and not having stabilizers similar to bigger ships.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Do you think we'll be ok?:-) the cruise looks so exciting!

We sailed on the Prinsendam Rome to Amsterdam (14 nights). We had maybe two days with rough seas where there was some rocking but really nothing more than what we have experienced on larger HAL ships on rough seas. It is one of our favorite ships.

While not having stabilizers will have some impact on a ship's motion, the age of the ship is irrelevant. Size does have an impact, though this is no little weekend pleasure boat. Motion caused by the seas that has any relationship to ship's size is primarily pitching -- fore and aft -- and that is a very involved question. Then you get into length of the ship as it relates to the size and frequency of the waves that you might be encountering. Sometimes a larger ship, because of these factors, will move more than a smaller ship. Do not think that something the size of the Oasis of the Seas is not going to pitch.

Then you get into rolling -- side-to-side. All ships will do this, though stabilizers will have a minimal effect in this motion. If the seas are abeam (coming from the side) it will cause rolling, if the winds are abeam that can cause rolling, etc. A larger ship with a mammoth superstructure has a tremendous "sail area" and will be more affected by the wind.

The Prinsendam is much smaller than other ships in the line, and you might find that some extra "rockin and rollin" is worth it since you will get to meet and know lots more people.

The Prinsendam was built to sail the world. She rides the seas very well. I was on her in the north Atlantic, up into the Arctic waters. She was as smooth as any ship I have been on.

................... i am worried about the age of the ship and not having stabilizers similar to bigger ships.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Do you think we'll be ok?:-) the cruise looks so exciting!

FYI Prinsendam does have stabilizers! We've been lucky enough to have sailed her twice and she rides very well since she's all over the world. Highly recommended!

If you want to read about her travels on a daily basis, go to her captain's (Albert Schoonderbeek) blog at:

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

I have been following Bill and Maryanne's Prinsendam cruise on Cruise Critic and also reading Capt Albert's blog. I really don't think HAL would send this ship around South America if passengers would easily get seasick. They have had some rainy weather etc. but no mention of seasick passengers.

We have just booked the Prinsendam Transatlantic for May, 2011 to kick off our retirement. It has an amazing itinerary with stops in Spain, France and the opportunity to see Brugges!!! We will follow with three weeks in Britain.

Thanks to this thread for putting some of my doubts about the cruise to rest. We have done a transatlantic before but never a 24 day on a smaller ship. Not too worried about seasickness but a bit worried about enough to do on 10 sea days? Also did anyone who has done this cruise feel it was crowded? We have only been on one small ship (Fair Princess - about 800 passengers). What about the average age of passengers (we are in our early sixties) - does the entertainment consist of banjo playing and bingo?

How did you handle the open jaw airfare - do you recommend HAL arrangements over doing it on your own?

Thanks for your help in advance.

How did you handle the open jaw airfare - do you recommend HAL arrangements over doing it on your own?

Never. Booking an multi-city itinerary is easy. Suggest if you are having problems, to post any questions on the cruise air board. There's a sticky at the top of that forum that explains cruise air. You may find that interesting reading.

I have twice crosssed the Atlantic on the Prinsendam, once from the Med to Ft. Lauderdale and the other from South Africa to Brazzil. On neither occasion have I had a rocky ride. Although the Prinsendam is smaller (and fewer passengers) than most of todays cruise ships (think of one with 5200 passengers) it handles well on the open Atlantic. My wife and I will be on her again in May as we cruise from Ft, Lauderdale to Amsterdam.

We went Norway-Iceland-Greenland etc ... for 30 days and the Black Sea for 20 something days on Prinsendam .. would go around the world on her. Not only does she ride well, but she is beautiful inside as well. Further, less pax makes for a friendly crowd.

harry

Some of the largest ships are top-heavy and thus will have more rolling motion than other ships. Case in point is the Eurodam versus the Vista-class ships.

igraf

...However, the ship Prinsedam, as far as i can see is very small and also pretty old. Has anyone been on the ship and got some feedback about the size? I am mostly worried about my SO being seasick. Although we'll be cruising mediterrenean sea and it shouldnt be too rough, i am worried about the age of the ship and not having stabilizers similar to bigger ships. ...

thank you so much everyone for such wonderful feedback I was a bit worried about it being small but all the reviews are so positive!!! my parents are intheir 60s and we r early 30s so I am sure it will be fun:) looking forward booking the cruise for October, the itenarary is very exciting!! I am also curious about exploring an older ship with some history to it

Some of the largest ships are top-heavy and thus will have more rolling motion than other ships. Case in point is the Eurodam versus the Vista-class ships.

igraf

we were on liberty and experienced some serious rocking and rolling, i personally love rough seas but my family goes straight to the bathroom

Royal Viking Sun (1988-present) Built in 1988 by Oy Wärtsilä Ab/Wärtsilä Marine Industries, Åbo/Turku, Finland for Royal Viking Line (part of the Kloster Group) for luxurious worldwide cruising. She was launched in May 1988 and upon her handing over on 26 November 1988, she would become the line’s flagship. Royal Viking Sun departed Turku on 29 November 1988 and, after a port call at Greenwich, England, she crossed the Atlantic and via the Panama Canal arrived at San Francisco. On 8 January 1989, she was christened there by actor James "Jimmy" Stewart and shortly after departed on her first commercial voyage, a 100-day world cruise.

Ship+Photo+Royal+Viking+Sun.jpg

The vessel quickly became renowned for her exquisite service and loyal passenger following becoming a popular addition to the fleet of global cruisers employed in Royal Viking service.

On 30 June 1994, the Cunard Line purchased Royal Viking Sun and the Royal Viking brand and Royal Viking Line ceased operations in that same year. Cunard opted to keep the ship's name as is and they placed her into their newly formed Cunard Royal Viking division. As with Royal Viking Line, the 5-plus star ship was rated the finest vessel afloat for most of her life with Cunard, an honor she held from her Royal Viking Line days. She undertook World Voyages as Cunard's "global roamer", and was a popular and highly sought after ship for passengers and crew alike.

royal_viking_sun_1988_4.jpg

On 04 April 1996 while in the Gulf of Aqaba near Jordan,Royal Viking Sun ran aground on a reef, sustaining serious damage and taking on water. Her captain decided to beach her so the damage sustained could be inspected. She was subsequently towed into Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt where her passengers, who were on a world cruise, were disembarked and flown home. After temporary repairs, Royal Viking Sun transited the Suez Canal and sailed for Valetta, Malta, arriving on 22 April, where additional repairs were carried out. She was back in service on 12 June 1996.

Ship+Photo+Seabourn+Sun.jpg

In 1999 the Cunard Line and the Seabourn Cruise Line were merged by parent company Carnival Corporation and a decision was made to move Royal Viking Sun to Seabourn. On 26 November 1999, she emerged from the Lloyd Werft GmbH in Bremerhaven, Germany as the Seabourn Sun after an extensive refit and continued exploring the world. She would sail for Seabourn only until 28 April 2002 however, her last cruise with them being a circumnavigation of South America.

In 2002,Seabourn decided to concentrate on more intimate vessels so in April of that year she finished her last cruise for the line, a circumnavigation of South America.

On 23 April 2002, Seabourn Sun was internally transferred (within the Carnival Group) to Holland America Line. HAL renamed her Prinsendam and sent her to the Detyens Internationalshipyard in Charleston, SC for an extensive 35-day long refurbishment in dry-dock. She is the second ship in HAL's long history to bear that name.

At the shipyard, she gained a total of ten "Lanai" state rooms by removing her existing Midnight Sun Room lounge. These cabins will have private lanais and share a private, covered deck and a hot tub.

Her Compass Rose Room was converted to HAL’s Explorer’s Lounge complete with large mural and her main dining room, the La Fontaine, was reduced in size in order to accommodate two dinner seatings.

Prinsendam gained a new alternative restaurant named Odyssey, featuring Italian cuisine and a Mediterranean decor, an Internet Center with eleven computer stations, a new dedicated Art Gallery, and a revamped Queen’s Lounge (show lounge). HAL trademarks like a traditional Ocean Bar with bandstand and dance floor (opposite the Odyssey), Lido Restaurant with two serving lines and a Neptune concierge lounge (Deck 11, port-side, behind the navigation wing with private balcony) were added.

Her Shore Excursion Office was modified and her movie theater, renamed the Wajang in HAL tradition, had her furnishing upgraded. Lastly, her remaining public rooms were completely refurbished. Rooms that received minor modifications were the HAL trademark Crow’s Nest lounge/night club, Java Café and Bar, Oak Room, a dedicated smoking room, and Ocean Spa/fitness center. Seabourn Sun's golf putting course was replaced by a combination volleyball/basketball court however, as Prinsendam, she will gain a golf simulation center on Main Deck.

A special signature sculpture that dominates Prinsendam’s three-story atrium was commisioned, featuring etched fish, turtles and dolphins climbing a cylinder of Bolle glass and lit with state-of-the-art fiber optics. Other works of art include an abstract marble sculpture of a Viking ship by contemporary Norwegian artist Nicholas Widerberg, a series of paintings by impressionist painter Neil Pinkett, and a collection of Roman Amphorae from 50 - 150 AD. Prinsendam is the only ship in the HAL fleet which does not have a two-story main dining room, nor a retractable ‘magro dome’ roof over her mid-ships Lido pool.

Last but not least, the vessel was repainted in HAL’s familiar “Nieuw Amsterdam-blue” hull and white upper structure and her passenger capacity was extended to 794. Her staterooms now included one Penthouse Verandah suite, 18 Deluxe Verandah suites, 50 Superior Verandah suites, 82 Deluxe Verandah suites, 220 large double outside cabins, 2 single outside cabins and 25 double inside cabins. Of these, 151 or 38% of her total staterooms, have verandahs.

The first Prinsendam (1973-1980) was a smaller 8,566 grt ship, built in Hardinxveld-Giessendam in the Netherlands. She was used by HAL on cruises in the Orient (Singapore/Indionesia) in the winter and moved to Vancouver, BC for Alaska cruising in the summer season. While transitioning back to the Far East from Vancouver, a fire broke out in her engine room while the ship was sailing in the Gulf of Alaska. This fire ultimately caused the ship to be abandoned with all 319 passengers and 201 crew succesfully evacuated without serious injuries. Prinsendam I turned over and slipped beneath the waves 120 miles south of Yakutat, AK on 11 October 1980.

Ship+Photo+PRINSENDAM.jpg

When she emerged after 35 days in drydock, her destination was Terminal 88 of the New York City, NY Passenger Ship Terminal on 01 June 2002. After two one-day preview cruises from the Big Apple, she was officialy christened on 03 June 2002 by her godmothers, a delegation of three HAL executives; Rose Abello, vice president public relations, Eva Andresen, vice president information technologies, and Linda Ehlenberger, vice president sales, representing all of the other 10,000 employees of the line.

Later that day, she would set off for Southampton, England on a 10-day maiden voyage with port calls at Halifax, NS, Cobh (Cork), Ireland and Plymouth, England. Departing Southampton on 13 June 2002, her inaugural season saw her sailing ten to twenty two-day cruises in the waters of northern Europe, the Mediterranean, west and east Africa, Asia and Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific.

One of her two captains has always been Norwegian Hale Thon Gunderson. He was part of the team supervising the daily building operations of the vessel at the Wartsila yard in Turku back in 1988 and upon her completion, he sailed her around the world as captain. He has served as one of this ship's permanent Masters ever since and came over to Holland America when the line purchased the vessel.

Since Prinsendam, nicknamed the "Elegant Explorer" by Holland America Line, is smaller than most dam ships, she is able to stop in exotic ports of call. Annually, the ship completes Grand Voyages that usually last between 30-70 days. Her first such cruise was in 2005.

In November 2003, Holland America Cruise Line announced a program of up-scaling their ships, cruise line image and passenger cruise experience called the 'Signature of Excellence program'. This enhancement program included stateroom amenities (luxury beds and bed linens upgrades (Euro-style mattresses and waffle-weave bathrobes to all cabin categories), new massage-type showerheads in all bathrooms, new flat-screen LCD televisions and DVD players in all cabins. For those ships that did not already have it, a private Neptune Lounge for the two highest category suites, the addition of a Pinnacle Grill alternate restaurant, an Explorations Café (a combination coffee shop/library/internet center), an extended Greenhouse Spa & Salon, a refurbished Crow’s Nest, as well as a Culinary Arts Center would be added and for some ship classes, the fitness facility/gym would be extended out and above the bridge. In addition, on some ship classes changes would be made for non-adults, including newly expanded youth (toddler and tween) facilities within the "Club HAL" program and the creation of the “Loft” and the “Oasis” for teens.

Prinsendam completed her Signature of Excellence upgrades after going in drydock at Freeport, the Bahamas in January 2005. Added were a Culinary Arts Center as well as the SOE stateroom amenities. The ship already operated with a full Greenhouse Spa, Neptune Lounge and alternate restaurant (Her original Odyssey had been changed to a Pinnacle Grill featuring Pacific Northwest dishes). Since Prinsendam sails mostly longer voyages attracting a more mature audience, she did not receive the expanded youth facilities. Due to space lmitations, the vessel also did not gain an Explorations Cafe during her SOE part 1.

From 23 November until 16 December 2007, Prinsendam entered drydock at the Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport, the Bahamas again for yet another upgrade to the tune of $20 Million. This makeover included new luxury bathrooms for every cabin as well as redesigned closet spaces, new carpeting, desks, chairs and other stateroom furniture. In addition, her public areas were upgraded with new carpeting and her seating areas received a facelift. Her library was expanded, onboard shops renovated, an Explorations Cafe with an internet center installed and a Croquet court, Bocce court and two new putting greens were added on the sports deck. Lastly, a new Stuyvesant Room was created to serve as a meeting room, with the option of transferring same into Club Hal space.

Ship+Photo+Prinsendam.jpg

As part of the continuing Signature of Excellence enhancement program, Prinsendam entered dry-dock for a third time in five years at Freeport from 4-13 January 2010. This time, she gained 21 additional staterooms aft, her pool deck was expanded with more space and deck chairs, plus a new Seaview bar was installed port-side behind the Ocean Spa. Fifteen of her new staterooms are Deluxe Verandah suites and the remaining six are standard inside staterooms. As is customary with all Prinsendam staterooms, appointments feature Mariner Dream Beds, 250-count linens, recently redesigned closet space, elegant bathrooms with Elemis amenities, flat panel televisions and DVD players.

In addition, several of her lounges and public areas received new carpeting and her Wajang Theater/Culinary Arts Center were updated with furniture and carpeting in more lighter colors. Other standard maintenance and technical service also took place along with upgrades of laundry and galley equipment. When Prinsendam departed Freeport on 13 January 2010 on a 70-day South America Grand Voyage, her guest capacity had been increased from 793 to 835.

Following her 13 January, 70-day South America Explorer Grand Voyage cruise, Prinsendam sails a 54-day Quest of the Argonauts voyage, departing 24 March 2010 roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale to the Mediterranean and Black Sea. The ship will sail a leisurely eastbound course across the Atlantic for an extensive Mediterranean exploration with port calls in more then ten countries, including Morocco, Spain, France, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Russia, Georgia, Greece and Turkey. This cruise includes overnight stays in Barcelona, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal and Istanbul, Turkey, as well as late-night departures in Athens and Santorini, Greece; and Lisbon, Portugal. Prinsendam will then visit Bermuda and New York City before returning to Port Everglades.

We have just booked the Prinsendam Transatlantic for May, 2011 to kick off our retirement. It has an amazing itinerary with stops in Spain, France and the opportunity to see Brugges!!! We will follow with three weeks in Britain.

Thanks to this thread for putting some of my doubts about the cruise to rest. We have done a transatlantic before but never a 24 day on a smaller ship. Not too worried about seasickness but a bit worried about enough to do on 10 sea days? Also did anyone who has done this cruise feel it was crowded? We have only been on one small ship (Fair Princess - about 800 passengers). What about the average age of passengers (we are in our early sixties) - does the entertainment consist of banjo playing and bingo?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi,

We just booked the 21 day version out of FLL on the 17th of May. we are in our late fifties and early sixties also retired. Have you seen a thread for this cruise yet?

Ed & Cathy

Royal Viking Sun (1988-present) Built in 1988 by Oy Wärtsilä Ab/Wärtsilä Marine Industries, Åbo/Turku, Finland for Royal Viking Line (part of the Kloster Group) for luxurious worldwide cruising. She was launched in May 1988 and upon her handing over on 26 November 1988, she would become the line’s flagship. Royal Viking Sun departed Turku on 29 November 1988 and, after a port call at Greenwich, England, she crossed the Atlantic and via the Panama Canal arrived at San Francisco. On 8 January 1989, she was christened there by actor James "Jimmy" Stewart and shortly after departed on her first commercial voyage, a 100-day world cruise.

Ship+Photo+Royal+Viking+Sun.jpg

The vessel quickly became renowned for her exquisite service and loyal passenger following becoming a popular addition to the fleet of global cruisers employed in Royal Viking service.

On 30 June 1994, the Cunard Line purchased Royal Viking Sun and the Royal Viking brand and Royal Viking Line ceased operations in that same year. Cunard opted to keep the ship's name as is and they placed her into their newly formed Cunard Royal Viking division. As with Royal Viking Line, the 5-plus star ship was rated the finest vessel afloat for most of her life with Cunard, an honor she held from her Royal Viking Line days. She undertook World Voyages as Cunard's "global roamer", and was a popular and highly sought after ship for passengers and crew alike.

royal_viking_sun_1988_4.jpg

On 04 April 1996 while in the Gulf of Aqaba near Jordan,Royal Viking Sun ran aground on a reef, sustaining serious damage and taking on water. Her captain decided to beach her so the damage sustained could be inspected. She was subsequently towed into Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt where her passengers, who were on a world cruise, were disembarked and flown home. After temporary repairs, Royal Viking Sun transited the Suez Canal and sailed for Valetta, Malta, arriving on 22 April, where additional repairs were carried out. She was back in service on 12 June 1996.

Ship+Photo+Seabourn+Sun.jpg

In 1999 the Cunard Line and the Seabourn Cruise Line were merged by parent company Carnival Corporation and a decision was made to move Royal Viking Sun to Seabourn. On 26 November 1999, she emerged from the Lloyd Werft GmbH in Bremerhaven, Germany as the Seabourn Sun after an extensive refit and continued exploring the world. She would sail for Seabourn only until 28 April 2002 however, her last cruise with them being a circumnavigation of South America.

In 2002,Seabourn decided to concentrate on more intimate vessels so in April of that year she finished her last cruise for the line, a circumnavigation of South America.

On 23 April 2002, Seabourn Sun was internally transferred (within the Carnival Group) to Holland America Line. HAL renamed her Prinsendam and sent her to the Detyens Internationalshipyard in Charleston, SC for an extensive 35-day long refurbishment in dry-dock. She is the second ship in HAL's long history to bear that name.

At the shipyard, she gained a total of ten "Lanai" state rooms by removing her existing Midnight Sun Room lounge. These cabins will have private lanais and share a private, covered deck and a hot tub.

Her Compass Rose Room was converted to HAL’s Explorer’s Lounge complete with large mural and her main dining room, the La Fontaine, was reduced in size in order to accommodate two dinner seatings.

Prinsendam gained a new alternative restaurant named Odyssey, featuring Italian cuisine and a Mediterranean decor, an Internet Center with eleven computer stations, a new dedicated Art Gallery, and a revamped Queen’s Lounge (show lounge). HAL trademarks like a traditional Ocean Bar with bandstand and dance floor (opposite the Odyssey), Lido Restaurant with two serving lines and a Neptune concierge lounge (Deck 11, port-side, behind the navigation wing with private balcony) were added.

Her Shore Excursion Office was modified and her movie theater, renamed the Wajang in HAL tradition, had her furnishing upgraded. Lastly, her remaining public rooms were completely refurbished. Rooms that received minor modifications were the HAL trademark Crow’s Nest lounge/night club, Java Café and Bar, Oak Room, a dedicated smoking room, and Ocean Spa/fitness center. Seabourn Sun's golf putting course was replaced by a combination volleyball/basketball court however, as Prinsendam, she will gain a golf simulation center on Main Deck.

A special signature sculpture that dominates Prinsendam’s three-story atrium was commisioned, featuring etched fish, turtles and dolphins climbing a cylinder of Bolle glass and lit with state-of-the-art fiber optics. Other works of art include an abstract marble sculpture of a Viking ship by contemporary Norwegian artist Nicholas Widerberg, a series of paintings by impressionist painter Neil Pinkett, and a collection of Roman Amphorae from 50 - 150 AD. Prinsendam is the only ship in the HAL fleet which does not have a two-story main dining room, nor a retractable ‘magro dome’ roof over her mid-ships Lido pool.

Last but not least, the vessel was repainted in HAL’s familiar “Nieuw Amsterdam-blue” hull and white upper structure and her passenger capacity was extended to 794. Her staterooms now included one Penthouse Verandah suite, 18 Deluxe Verandah suites, 50 Superior Verandah suites, 82 Deluxe Verandah suites, 220 large double outside cabins, 2 single outside cabins and 25 double inside cabins. Of these, 151 or 38% of her total staterooms, have verandahs.

The first Prinsendam (1973-1980) was a smaller 8,566 grt ship, built in Hardinxveld-Giessendam in the Netherlands. She was used by HAL on cruises in the Orient (Singapore/Indionesia) in the winter and moved to Vancouver, BC for Alaska cruising in the summer season. While transitioning back to the Far East from Vancouver, a fire broke out in her engine room while the ship was sailing in the Gulf of Alaska. This fire ultimately caused the ship to be abandoned with all 319 passengers and 201 crew succesfully evacuated without serious injuries. Prinsendam I turned over and slipped beneath the waves 120 miles south of Yakutat, AK on 11 October 1980.

When she emerged after 35 days in drydock, her destination was Terminal 88 of the New York City, NY Passenger Ship Terminal on 01 June 2002. After two one-day preview cruises from the Big Apple, she was officialy christened on 03 June 2002 by her godmothers, a delegation of three HAL executives; Rose Abello, vice president public relations, Eva Andresen, vice president information technologies, and Linda Ehlenberger, vice president sales, representing all of the other 10,000 employees of the line.

Later that day, she would set off for Southampton, England on a 10-day maiden voyage with port calls at Halifax, NS, Cobh (Cork), Ireland and Plymouth, England. Departing Southampton on 13 June 2002, her inaugural season saw her sailing ten to twenty two-day cruises in the waters of northern Europe, the Mediterranean, west and east Africa, Asia and Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific.

One of her two captains has always been Norwegian Hale Thon Gunderson. He was part of the team supervising the daily building operations of the vessel at the Wartsila yard in Turku back in 1988 and upon her completion, he sailed her around the world as captain. He has served as one of this ship's permanent Masters ever since and came over to Holland America when the line purchased the vessel.

Since Prinsendam, nicknamed the "Elegant Explorer" by Holland America Line, is smaller than most dam ships, she is able to stop in exotic ports of call. Annually, the ship completes Grand Voyages that usually last between 30-70 days. Her first such cruise was in 2005.

In November 2003, Holland America Cruise Line announced a program of up-scaling their ships, cruise line image and passenger cruise experience called the 'Signature of Excellence program'. This enhancement program included stateroom amenities (luxury beds and bed linens upgrades (Euro-style mattresses and waffle-weave bathrobes to all cabin categories), new massage-type showerheads in all bathrooms, new flat-screen LCD televisions and DVD players in all cabins. For those ships that did not already have it, a private Neptune Lounge for the two highest category suites, the addition of a Pinnacle Grill alternate restaurant, an Explorations Café (a combination coffee shop/library/internet center), an extended Greenhouse Spa & Salon, a refurbished Crow’s Nest, as well as a Culinary Arts Center would be added and for some ship classes, the fitness facility/gym would be extended out and above the bridge. In addition, on some ship classes changes would be made for non-adults, including newly expanded youth (toddler and tween) facilities within the "Club HAL" program and the creation of the “Loft” and the “Oasis” for teens.

Prinsendam completed her Signature of Excellence upgrades after going in drydock at Freeport, the Bahamas in January 2005. Added were a Culinary Arts Center as well as the SOE stateroom amenities. The ship already operated with a full Greenhouse Spa, Neptune Lounge and alternate restaurant (Her original Odyssey had been changed to a Pinnacle Grill featuring Pacific Northwest dishes). Since Prinsendam sails mostly longer voyages attracting a more mature audience, she did not receive the expanded youth facilities. Due to space lmitations, the vessel also did not gain an Explorations Cafe during her SOE part 1.

From 23 November until 16 December 2007, Prinsendam entered drydock at the Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport, the Bahamas again for yet another upgrade to the tune of $20 Million. This makeover included new luxury bathrooms for every cabin as well as redesigned closet spaces, new carpeting, desks, chairs and other stateroom furniture. In addition, her public areas were upgraded with new carpeting and her seating areas received a facelift. Her library was expanded, onboard shops renovated, an Explorations Cafe with an internet center installed and a Croquet court, Bocce court and two new putting greens were added on the sports deck. Lastly, a new Stuyvesant Room was created to serve as a meeting room, with the option of transferring same into Club Hal space.

Ship+Photo+Prinsendam.jpg

As part of the continuing Signature of Excellence enhancement program, Prinsendam entered dry-dock for a third time in five years at Freeport from 4-13 January 2010. This time, she gained 21 additional staterooms aft, her pool deck was expanded with more space and deck chairs, plus a new Seaview bar was installed port-side behind the Ocean Spa. Fifteen of her new staterooms are Deluxe Verandah suites and the remaining six are standard inside staterooms. As is customary with all Prinsendam staterooms, appointments feature Mariner Dream Beds, 250-count linens, recently redesigned closet space, elegant bathrooms with Elemis amenities, flat panel televisions and DVD players.

In addition, several of her lounges and public areas received new carpeting and her Wajang Theater/Culinary Arts Center were updated with furniture and carpeting in more lighter colors. Other standard maintenance and technical service also took place along with upgrades of laundry and galley equipment. When Prinsendam departed Freeport on 13 January 2010 on a 70-day South America Grand Voyage, her guest capacity had been increased from 793 to 835.

Following her 13 January, 70-day South America Explorer Grand Voyage cruise, Prinsendam sails a 54-day Quest of the Argonauts voyage, departing 24 March 2010 roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale to the Mediterranean and Black Sea. The ship will sail a leisurely eastbound course across the Atlantic for an extensive Mediterranean exploration with port calls in more then ten countries, including Morocco, Spain, France, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Russia, Georgia, Greece and Turkey. This cruise includes overnight stays in Barcelona, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal and Istanbul, Turkey, as well as late-night departures in Athens and Santorini, Greece; and Lisbon, Portugal. Prinsendam will then visit Bermuda and New York City before returning to Port Everglades.

We've only spent 48 days on 'her' but someday, sometime, when retirement comes to pass (God knows when that will ever be) we'll be spending more time on 'her' since it is, indeed, our favorite HAL ship.

BTW John, if possible please send me an email. I misplaced your email address and I have an 'off board' question to ask. Thanks.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob

Seasick? What's the problem with taking an over-the-counter remedy like Bonine? It amazes me that people don't pack such an "easy fix" to a common problem. Besides, the front desk also offers medication, but I've met stubborn passengers who refuse to take anything and prefer to tough it out. Why spoil a minute of a vacation?

Also thinking of booking the TA for May 2011- FLL to Amsterdam. Would like to get one of the new aft balcony cabins before they are gone!!!! We are on an Alaska HAL sailing this July and would like to wait for the opportunity to make a resevation with a reduced deposit.

John

Thank you so much for the amazing write up. We will be taking our first Hal cruise on her May 13th 2011 when she cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam.. You have answered many of our questions..Any other information you would like to pass on would be great....Is there a site somewhere that shows the menus and prices for coffee & speciality coffee drinks? I can't seem to find a post listing dinner menus...? Thanks for you help

Cris & Dave

I am researching a cruise to go to, and found an amazing cruise from Rome to Athens with a stop in Israel. However, the ship Prinsedam, as far as i can see is very small and also pretty old. Has anyone been on the ship and got some feedback about the size? I am mostly worried about my SO being seasick. Although we'll be cruising mediterrenean sea and it shouldnt be too rough, i am worried about the age of the ship and not having stabilizers similar to bigger ships.

We did a 36-day cruise on Prinsendam last year through the Mediterranian, starting at Ft. Lauderdale (crossing the Atlantic) to Sebastopol., Ukraine and back to Rome. Crossing the Atlantic was a piece of cake and so was all our time on the ship. The Prinsendam is a small ship which was recently refurbished beautifully. It provides a more intimate atmosphere with other passengers and they have the most amazing library. We would go back on the Prinsendam any time.

Hope this helps.

from Sequimguy

Archived