how NCl really got going...SS NORWAY

my first cruise was in 86 onboard the norway. i was in awe i think the entire time i was on the ship. i have only been on one other cruise and it was difficult to compare it with that most memorable time in 87.

I was on the Norway's sister ship the SS Southward in 1986 with 7 other women. I will never forget opening the cabin door and wondering how 4 of us were going to live in a closet for 7 days. Smallest cabin I have ever seen and the bathroom was even worse - you had to leave the door open to sit on the throne. We left our suitcases packed under the beds and had one of the best cruises ever. Everyone dressed for dinner, the food was free and lobster was huge, my first time to try esgargot, drinks were inexpensive (and we drank our share) the crew all called you by name and everyone knew just about everyone by the end of the cruise. Ahhhh Memories!

I too remember "the closets" on the Norway. In 1989, one of my friends and I did a cruise on the Norway. It was awesome. Yes, our room was cramped. I remmber having to crawl over the bed to get to the bathroom but we had the time of our lives. I remember buying a cockyail dress in blue to match the color of the ship

Anne

• 5 years later...

Haha! Yes, the cabins - we had 2ft wide bunk beds and the floor area wasn't much bigger. The travel agent told us we would probably have single beds that might be pushed together but bunk beds :eek:

Nevertheless, the SS Norway kick-started my cruising bug :D

Sailed on the Norway (for the first time) in the late 80's..we have a round porthole cabin which had twin beds. The cabin itself was HUGE though. Loved the tea dances in the International Lounge in the afternoons, everyone really dressed up! Sailed on her numerous other times and miss the Blue Lady.

Thank you for resurecting this thread and videos.

I have a copy of "France/Norway," by John Maxtone-Graham. It's wonderful history of the iconic Norway. Unfortunately, I never sailed on it, but did walk by it, when docked in Miami in 1999.

Life was in so many ways a bit more civil, but we had already seen the start of the decline in America. Watching these newscasters was a highlight to my college days. Not like the bafoons on Today now - it's more of a cocktail party. Thanks for the memories.

Ah! Finally, a thread dear to my heart! My first cruise was on SS Norway in 1988 then again on our honeymoon in 1995. Beautiful ship, wonderful memories! I loved that ship....still do!

From 1995 Sailaway in Miami:

IMG_4083_zpszg0yvwff.jpg

I posted these photos on another thread but since this one is dedicated to SS Norway, here goes again: our stateroom on the top deck in 1995:

stateroom%20Norway_zpscbw1feyh.jpeg

I mentioned I could scuba dive in that bathtub:

stateroom%20bathtub%20Norway_zpspsg5i2ky.jpeg

from the souvenir booklet bought onboard:

History%20booklet%20pg%201_zps4qpjkrfh.jpeg

Baked Alaska in the Windward Dining Room:

baked%20alaska%20Windward%20Dining%20Room_zpsnnfuyqve.jpeg

and then it was over......

norway%20herald_zpsqv0i7dn6.jpeg

My first cruise was on the Norway in the 80's. Jim Neighbors was the entertainment :p

I just remembered I am still waiting for the paperweight that I had ordered that was to be inscribed with our names, date etc. It had the the etching of the ship on it.

You had to order it and pay for it and they were to ship it to you. I never got it. Oh well.....I don't have that husband anymore anyway:p

Edited by reno3

Thank you so much for your clips. I watched all 8, and fondly remembered her from my 1995 cruise. We wanted to book again,but a slight boiler explosion spoiled that. She was magnificent, and had a crew second to none.We had a female CD, and I wish I could remember her name. She was the best CD I've ever had on any ship. I still choke up when watching anything on the Norway.